Saddam sentenced to death by hanging; Update: Sentencing video added

posted at 4:08 am on November 5, 2006 by Allahpundit

For his part in the massacre at Dujail, which I encourage you to compare to the Nazi massacre at Lidice. These guys all follow the same playbook; this particular game just happened to end a little differently.

Barzan al-Tikriti, the former head of intelligence, and Awad al-Bandar, the head of the Revolutionary Court, got the noose too. Taha Yassin Ramadan, his VP, was found guilty of premeditated murder and sentenced to life. Saddam himself wanted a firing squad. Instead they sentenced him like a common criminal, just the way Churchill wanted to do to Hitler.

The BBC has a short photo essay on Dujail. Here’s the last picture in the series. What follows is left to your imagination:

dujail2.jpg

I’d recommend reading Omar’s post from 2003, too. He met a young doctor who’d grown up in the town and was there for the reprisals after the assassination attempt: “The women and children had their share, and this is what saw: extraction of nails and teeth, electric shocks, whipping with lashes, using razors to tear the skin into shreds, my aunt was left hanging from the roof after her clothes had been wrapped of her in front of her brothers to force them to talk. Do you know how much pain we suffered? Can you imagine? I doubt it.”

CNN has archival footage of the incident from 1982. Click the image to watch.

dujail.jpg

Dujail’s the tip of the iceberg, one notorious incident for which they had good evidence. The crimes against the Kurds have yet to be punished. But there’s small satisfaction, at least, in some of them having gotten to face the bastard down in court. This incident, for whatever odd reason, I find especially moving. “Congratulations Saddam Hussein – you are now in a cage!”

But not for much longer. Sic semper tyrannis.

halabja.jpg

Update: Many thanks to our pal in the UK, kasper kasper, for ‘Tubing this. From the BBC, here’s the man of the hour, Koran in hand, predictably screeching, “Allahu Akbar.”

Update: Reader Niko e-mails to note that Amnesty International is unhappy.

Update: Reaction at the Huffington Post.

Comments

My only regret is that he had but one life to give for his crimes.

Too bad they can’t bring him back to life like the cylons on Battlestar. They could try him again for his next crime, hang him and bring him back again … and again … lather, rinse, repeat.

Tony737 on November 5, 2006 at 11:04 AM

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Pity the Iraqis aren’t taking this as happily as we are

Defector01 on November 5, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Sadamn had but one huge fear. A fear that drove him crazy thinking about it, a fear that will now come true. His biggest fear? HANGING!!!!
I hope he doesnt sleep a wink thinking about the noose wrapped around his scrawny neck, then dropping to his death.

shooter on November 5, 2006 at 11:14 AM

You know, I think even a lot of us on the right side – and the “right” side – sometimes get discouraged about Iraq, wonder if it was all worth it, wonder if 50 years from now it will have been a worthy and decisive action – or a colossal mistake.

And as I’ve said before … I really don’t know. Ask me in 50 years.

But here’s the thing: this story – Saddam getting what he so richly deserves – reminds me that no matter what, some good was done. No matter what anyone says, removing this Fuhrer-wannabe was a very, very good thing.

It may be ugly and messy and violent for a while … but the tyrant is gone. There is no taking that away from us. People are VOTING in Iraq. People are protesting and speaking their minds … and yeah, there are terrorists and thugs that might kill you if you say the wrong thing in Iraq – but it’s not the government doing it.

We did good.

Any liberal (or anyone else) who wants to tell me Iraq was the wrong thing … first has to acknowledge this. They *MUST* acknowledge it. They have to concede that the plastic shredders aren’t shredding people any more … that the rape rooms are closed for business … that chemical weapons aren’t being used by a dictator against his own people … that the 300,000 dead and missing will be the LAST that Hussein kills … that he won’t be invading his neighbors and killing millions any more.

Once they concede all that – we can talk. But that has to come first.

We did good.

To convince me Iraq was wrong, you have have to convince me that the chaos and mess over there now outweighs the good we did. That the rape rooms and chemical weapons and plastic shredders and mass graves … are better than a violent, messy fledgling democracy.

From a purely logical, numerical perspective – it’s going to be tough to make that argument. And of course, to do it you have to come right out and say you want the rape rooms back. That the plastic shredders were better. It’s a tough case to make.

We did good.

Could the bad outweigh good? Maybe. I’m watching and listening. It may turn out that way.

But no matter what … we tried. We did good.

Every American should be proud today. Every single one.

Professor Blather on November 5, 2006 at 11:28 AM

I got a “Thomas” whose homepage linke is “ http://international-lawyers.org/ ” on my comment page in regards to my reporting of Saddam’s execution:

The verdict of guilty, like the trial, itself is farce and an abuse of justice. It sends a clear message to the Iraqi people: if they want to defend themselves they cannot look to law, they cannot look to the US government, they cannot look to the occupation government the US setup in Iraq…they must defend themselves using all necessary means by which national liberation movements are permitted to defend themselves.

The trial has been declared unfair by every independent expert who has reviewed it. It constitutes the worse form of “victors’ injustice.”

While the verdict was written by the occupying powers thousands of Iraqis have died because these same people can’t provide basic security in the country they illegally invaded.

The arrogant abuse of the law is part and parcel of the illegal invasion of Iraq and the US supported oppression of the Palestinian people for decades, and the US supported invasion of Lebanon. All of these were attacks on Arabs, on Muslims, on the people the US administration believes are their enemies. All of these are unmitigated violations of international law killing thousands of unarmed innocent Arab Muslims.

The trial of Saddam Hussein violated human rights to so serious an extent that no trial in modern history tat has been so prominent compares to it.

First, the trial was the direct result of multiple violations of international law, especially the illegal crime of aggression perpetrated against the Iraqi people.

Second, the trial was undertaken by a court set up and controlled by the United States, an occupying power. This violates the express provisions of international humanitarian law in the Fourth Geneva Convention.

Third, the trial was plagued by insecurity that saw defense lawyers, judges, and witnesses killed or intimidated. When the defense lawyers complained they were told there was nothing more that could be done. They were told not to complain about the murder of four defense lawyers by person allegedly connected to the Iraqi government.

The defense was given no time and no facilities to prepare a defense, even the President’ money was stolen from him when he was captured by the Americans. All exculpating evidence was withheld from the defense; defense witnesses were threatened by court officials; defense lawyers were assaulted by US officials; and the defendants we not given the charges against them until eight months after the prosecution had started presenting evidence and the day the defense was required to start its case. The list of violations is long and undoubtedly the reason why every independent expert has found the trial unfair.

Most notably, on 1 September 2006, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, the body tasked by the international community to determine when and if a fair trial has been held or a detention is arbitrary, decided that the trial was unfair and that a fair trial could not take place before the Iraqi Special Tribunal.

Geez…can’t even be happy.

In my Haloscan comment on:

Kokonut on November 5, 2006 at 11:32 AM

To the US servicemen and women in Iraq: Thank You

Opinionnation on November 5, 2006 at 11:33 AM

shooter, Saddam should be afraid. I got link of an autopsy result one hour after a hanging of a person that was executed.

Kokonut on November 5, 2006 at 11:35 AM

I am proud, don’t get me wrong. But – no gas chamber? Have these people no sense of ironic justice?

Dudley Smith on November 5, 2006 at 11:36 AM

I’m I the only one notices that all the Iraqi Celebration video clips being shown on the news have posters of Al Sadr in the backround?

I really can’t tell if the are celebrating the death of Saddam or the rise of Al Sadr.

Egfrow on November 5, 2006 at 11:44 AM

In the meantime …

Amnesty International deplores the decision of the Supreme Iraqi Criminal Tribunal (SICT) to impose the death sentence on Saddam Hussein and two of his seven co-accused after a trial which was deeply flawed and unfair.

Niko on November 5, 2006 at 11:51 AM

Somewhere Karl Rove shouts “Takbir!” to Bush and Cheney (and assorted illuminati members) on a prayer rugs, who shout back “Allahu Akbar!”

RightWinged on November 5, 2006 at 11:57 AM

This one I found almost amusing:

Saddam yelled out, “Long live the people and death to their enemies. Long live the glorious nation, and death to its enemies!” Later, his lawyer said the former dictator had called on Iraqis to reject sectarian violence and refrain from revenge against U.S. forces.

Niko on November 5, 2006 at 12:06 PM

I imagine the quote “brains” of the Democratic party are now having a pow wow trying to think of ways to spin this in their favor – just as they did after the elections in Iraq. I can also imagine that one day in the future when Iraq is a functioning Democracy the same “brains” will dig up their pre war quotes and proclaim – “I voted for the war – we all knew that Sadaam was a danger…..”

Since the war in Iraq began more than 50,000 people have been murdered in the USA, most in Dem run cities. No outrage their. Obviously the liberal elitist idea that the Iraqi’s are better off living in tyranny applies to the poor inner city people in our country. I always wonder why no one holds the Dems to task about the situation in our cities?

iam7545 on November 5, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Think of the carnage if the Dummycrats get control of the national health care system. Saddam will swing like a porch wind chime, but Dummycrats trying to use his conviction and execution for their political gain is beyond even the imagination of the most inanity ridden liberal.

Dummycrats controlling the national health care system would leave thousands of Americans to die. Just think, just as Saddam would have, the federal government banning all activities that might place the participant in “risk” of injury (a burden to the state effort of “free” health care). No smoking, no recreational sports, nothing.

Saddam dies for his crimes. No liberal/left wing Democrat in power today can claim credit for this historic carriage of justice. Not one.

Spider Dan on November 5, 2006 at 12:26 PM

I knew, on the day Saddam hanged British journalist Farzad Bazoft (who was getting too close to the WMD program of Iraq and was thus accused, and sentenced, and executed for being a “spy“), in March of 1990, that one day Saddam would be at the end of the same noose.

It took too long –and I wish he had been shot in his hole, to spare everyone the waste of money of this trial, and all of the extra Baathist/Sunni-Shi’ite sectarian violence that his mere continued existence has energized– but may his death be some comfort to all who survived his sadistic depredations.

And be a balm poured on the souls of those who he slaughtered.

Justice comes full circle. And ends around his sadistic throat.

Sic semper psychopaths.

profitsbeard on November 5, 2006 at 12:38 PM

shucks. Just when I was thinking tht he should be taken out of his cell and put back in charge. He certainly had a way of keeping people in line, and wouldn’t Tehran sh*t in their dresses?

dhimwit on November 5, 2006 at 12:46 PM

My favorite pic of the ol’bstard is one my son took in Iraq.
My boy is standing under one of his big ol smiling portraits and reaching up and pickin Sad-damns nose. That’s my boy!

Limerick on November 5, 2006 at 12:52 PM

Coincidentally, those are the exact same words you could hear in an airplane cockpit a few hundred feet above the streets of Manhattan on that sunny morning, 09/11/2001.

Americans ought to remember this come Tuesday.

Niko on November 5, 2006 at 1:05 PM

Saddam’s last line on that video was telling:

— Saddam Hussein

Translation:
“Please don’t hang me.”

Christoph on November 5, 2006 at 1:13 PM

Let’s not forget who else is disappointed:

JFKerry picture with Saddam’s lawyer Ramsey Clark

DANEgerus on November 5, 2006 at 1:19 PM

Saddam: the liberal’s Nelson Mandela.

dougless on November 5, 2006 at 1:26 PM

“Allahu Akbar!”

I believe that’s what they call “playing to the base.”

Jim Treacher on November 5, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Saddam’s trial has been a complete circus from start to finish.

As far as I can see, the only ones to escape with their integrity intact have been Judge Raouf Abdul-Rahman and his fellow court officials.

Kadnine on November 5, 2006 at 1:31 PM

Re:

“And the Iraqi people should have it in this heart to forgive those who have strayed.”
— Saddam Hussein

Translation:
“Please don’t hang me.”

That may have been the trial judge who said that. You’ll have to watch the video yourself. You see, I was reading Saddam’s mind.

Christoph on November 5, 2006 at 1:39 PM

x95b10, Amen.

Let him die and let us speak of him no more.

Puritan1648 on November 5, 2006 at 9:42 AM

Exept in episodes of Southpark

iam7545 on November 5, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Those leftist inner-city governments are voted into office. I can only conclude that they demand bad government, and they get it.

urbancenturion on November 5, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Geez…can’t even be happy.

Kokonut on November 5, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Do you think this guy was anywhere to be found when Saddam was killing his own people by the hundreds of thousands? Somehow I doubt it. His kind are pretty much useless when there’s any heavy lifting to be done.

FOX reported recently that the Vatican has come out and said that Saddam shouldn’t be executed. I’m not sure if I’ve ever used the F-word and the Vatican in the same sentence before, but my apologies to all Roman Catholics.

ReubenJCogburn on November 5, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Can they waterboard him first before hanging him?

thirteen28 on November 5, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Amnesty International is unhappy.

Oh Good Lord, I suppose they would even think Hitler could be rehabilitated.

infidel4life on November 5, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Death for Saddam is too easy, too quick, too painless for the suffering he has inflicted on others.

I agree with this post:

Hangings too good for him.
JayHaw Phrenzie on November 5, 2006 at 4:13 AM

If one really believes that the soul survives the body then keeping him alive in prison really is more of a punishment than death. The issue, at least for me, is not one of rehabilitation but rather of a punishment that fits the crime. Saddam’s crimes merit more punishment than a quick, easy, painless death.

omegaram on November 5, 2006 at 2:53 PM

I guess I am just shouting into the wind, but regarding the continuing statement that Hitler was far right, he was a socialist, a lefty, a far lefty.
We should hang him, we could whip him than drag him across a gravel pit, we could put him in a room with ravenous dogs and let them tear him apart. We could cut out his tongue, cut off his hand, cut off a leg, we could slowly drop acid in his eyes, pucture his eardrums, drag him out of bed in the middle of the night and shoot him, unfortunely we have killed his children or we could torture his children in front of him, all the things he did to other people. Let him choke to death on deadly gas. It is almost incomprehensible that someone could torture so many people in so many ways, and still be alive himself.
But he still has Ramsey and Jimmy at his side.

right2bright on November 5, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Here’s a fuller video of Saddam’s sentencing that shows hands placed on Ramsey Clark, for example, as the judge is chastizing him.

I wouldn’t browse the site though. Most of the videos are gruesome. This video shows a gruesome man in a judicial setting getting the whoop-ass laid down on him.

Eminently appropriate.

Christoph on November 5, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Incredible! No remorse. All he can do is stand there and deny the charges against him. I don’t know what I expected, but watching him clutch the Koran and shout down the judge knowing full-well the atrocities he committed to the people he now exhorts with such diatribe as, “long live the Iraqi people”, provides even more justification to removing this cancer and all like him. I guess I want justice to feel like justice, and this isn’t it.

thedecider on November 5, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Hanging huh?

Maybe it should be “Baliff! Whack his peepee!”

GoodBoy on November 5, 2006 at 3:45 PM

What’s really annoying is Dan Rather.

The worse news anchor in history (bad ratings, worst reporting) is fine now that he’s been fired by CBS and hates them more than Repuplicans.

Here, once again, he makes good sense and provides thoughtful analysis.

Christoph on November 5, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Limerick – thank you for sharing and God Bless your great son!

flagwaver on November 5, 2006 at 4:21 PM

WAKE UP!!!!

Look, people, not only is Reverend Ted Haggard banging a meth-dealing man-whore, George Allen is accusing Jim Webb of writing racy novels.

Y’all need to focus on the substantive issues here, and quit being distracted by these trifles.

see-dubya on November 5, 2006 at 4:54 PM

There is a literal hell and Sodom is in it. God is great!

AtomicAmish on November 5, 2006 at 5:14 PM

Someone with the requisite skills need to do a vid of Saddam in Frank N Furter gear singing Frankie’s final song…with the mascara running, “I’m coming home” line….

TBinSTL on November 5, 2006 at 5:40 PM

WAKE UP!!!!
see-dubya on November 5, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Someone left the screendoor open and a moonbat flew in. A stupid moonbat at that, or is that redundant?

right2bright on November 5, 2006 at 5:48 PM

Grab a dictionary. Look under “S.” Find “sarcasm.”

Professor Blather on November 5, 2006 at 7:02 PM

I just heard the greatest idea from a friend…

Do the execution Pay-Per-View and send all the money to the Iraqis!! F-Yeah! I’d pay to see that!!

Enjoy Hell, you murderous bastard, you!

tickleddragon on November 5, 2006 at 7:36 PM

Professor Blather-I LOVED your long post above. Hope you don’t mind, but I copied and pasted it on my blog (not a big blog, just a personal one). Totally agree. Ever since reading Jean Sasson’s book “Mayada: Daughter of Iraq” which tells the stories of women in Iraqi prisons, I have been unshakeably proud of what we did in Iraq. This is a good day, hopefully to be surpassed soon by his exit from this world.

tikvah on November 5, 2006 at 8:22 PM

Has the french government formally protested the sentence yet? If not, it can only mean one thing. They’re staying quiet because they’re planning a commando raid to rescue Saddam and take him to live out his years in Paris.

eagles5 on November 5, 2006 at 8:52 PM

He don’t look too good.

bloggless on November 5, 2006 at 9:49 PM

heh.

Scot on November 6, 2006 at 2:12 AM

Am I the only one notice that as each Democrat leader somes forward in favor of this sentencing, they each include another bash against Bush? Each says that this changes nothing on the ground.

What I find ironic is that these same Democrats think and state that capturing Bin Laden will change everything.

Typical Democrat double standard wanting it both ways.

Nothing like politicizing a war for political gain instead of winning it.

LewWaters on November 6, 2006 at 2:26 AM

Pablo wrote: “And what’s this about Ramsey Clark getting thrown out of the courtroom? Apparently, the poor baby is upset at his hero’s sentence.”

As has been noted, Clark was part of Saddam’s “defense team” during the trial.

Here is what the Mainstream Media has NOT TOLD YOU about Ramsey Clark’s dealing with Saddam.

Before the invasion, Ramsey Clark was on Saddam’s payroll. He was a retained lawyer for the government of Iraq and duly registered as an agent of a foreign government.

He’s no different as far as I am concerned than Lynn Stewart.

georgej on November 6, 2006 at 4:08 AM

Not a problem. And thanks. But send me a nickel each time it’s read, or I’ll sue. ;)

It is indeed truly hard to actually learn about what went on under Saddam – and not be proud that we got rid of him.

I’m not sure how liberals are pulling off that trick. Especially groups like NOW and other women’s organizations. You’d think eliminating institutionalized rape would make them happy.

Then again … they couldn’t muster a peep about serial rapist Bill Clinton. (Okay – “alleged” serial rapist. How about – serial philanderer, and abuser of power over female interns? You’d still think NOW would have had a problem with it …!)

But, hey … I’m sure the next time a DEMOCRAT President frees a few million people (anything’s possible!) and gives women some basic rights to at least avoid being raped and mutilated … that liberals will be behind it 100%.

Obviously, the only real mistake was not electing a Democrat before we invaded Iraq. Then we all could have “supported the troops,” right?

(insert eye roll here)

Professor Blather on November 6, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Grab a dictionary. Look under “S.” Find “sarcasm.”

Professor Blather on November 5, 2006 at 7:02 PM

Is that sarcasm also? Thanks for the tip, when I first picked up the dictionary there were so many S’s.
I noticed he never posted again, look under “W” for wrong, then “A” for apology, then “D” for discernment, now back to “S”.

right2bright on November 6, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Off to the gallows with Saddam. This does not happen often enough to the right people.

It does make me proud to know we will finally see this monster receive justice.

Cary on November 6, 2006 at 10:41 AM

It does make me proud to know we will finally see this monster receive justice.

Cary on November 6, 2006 at 10:41 AM

I agree Cary, but don’t count on it being swift. Already they are mounting an attack on the sentence. So many countries, and so many liberals here will not accept the death penalty. Me, I would thrown him out in the streets and let them pull his body apart.

right2bright on November 6, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Sigh.

Okay, son. While for the grown-ups it was clear, I’ll explain it for you.

Go read See-Dubya’s first post in this thread. It’s in the top 10. Read it carefully. Now troll around the board a bit and read his other posts. Note the response to his posts. If you’re still perplexed, Google his screen name. Read his posts elsewhere.

Now have someone explain all of the above to you.

Once you figure out the blitheringly obvious, should I expect that apology?

Or should I look you up under “C” for “clueless?”

Embarrassed yet?

Congrats. It’s very rare for me to award the coveted Dumbass of the Day to a non-liberal. For you, we’ll make an exception!

Professor Blather on November 6, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Right2Bright: Shouldn’t you be more concerned about whether or not GEORGE ALLEN IS COMFORTABLE WITH HIS SECRETLY JEWISH HERITAGE than whether I’m a moonbat?

Come on people, there are serious issues at stake.

see-dubya on November 6, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Professor Blather on November 6, 2006 at 2:21 PM
Thanks, I believe my comments originally was for see-dubya. You stuck your nose in. Embarrassed? I don’t think so. I think see-dubya can speak for himself, and if I offended him I apologize. You, I resonded to your attack on me, you are still attacking–you fired the first shot, and you obviously demand to have the last (I believe you hold the record for the most words typed on a blog). You calling me a dumbass means nothing, you are safe at your home behind your computer.
Thanks for the award, I am looking forward to many more from you. You are very clever.

right2bright on November 7, 2006 at 1:29 AM