Video: Steve Harrigan gets waterboarded on Fox

posted at 2:06 pm on November 4, 2006 by Allahpundit

He could barely get through his report, so shattered was he by the experience. By the end of the segment he’s reduced to sobbing and pointing to a copy of “The Conservative Soul” that he’s held up to the camera.

No, he was fine.

Update: Interrogations at Gitmo are now optional?

Comments

Before you know it, they’re going to be selling “torture” vacation packages to tourists.

“Be the first on your block to get waterboarded!”

Pablo on November 4, 2006 at 2:17 PM

its the new bunjee jumping.

jummy on November 4, 2006 at 2:17 PM

Oh the inhumanity of it! Stop it! There ought to be a law against this sort of thing! Come Tuesday, we may well be on our way to getting one courtesy of Pelosi, Murtha, Kerry, Kennedy, Rengal, Webb, etc., etc.

TheBigOldDog on November 4, 2006 at 2:26 PM

Poor Steve, he will never be the same again. How could FOX submit one of their own to this horrible experience. Someone call the ACLU!

infidel on November 4, 2006 at 2:28 PM

This is what everyone is bitching about?

Dr. Gecko on November 4, 2006 at 2:31 PM

What is it that they blurred out in front of the heating unit just above his head? It is some kind of yellow-ish stip of something. A label? A secret tool? What? They blurred it out, so it must have some significance to someone.

Neo on November 4, 2006 at 2:36 PM

Gee, how come the Bush Administration WOULDN’T DEFEND this obviously non torturous technique? How come they didn’t point out that OUR SOLDIERS and CIA AGENTS are ROUTINELY waterboarded as part of their TRAINING? While we’re at it, why doesn’t the Bush admin defend itself at all? I mean, they just released papers that show how close Iraq was to getting nukes and as far as I can determine they have just sat back and allowed lying assed liberals to mischaracterize those papers as somehow indicative of ANOTHER BUSH SCREW UP!!!! What is wrong with these people???????

Soothsayer on November 4, 2006 at 2:37 PM

“its the new bunjee jumping.”

Nah, it’s the new “Reporter gets tasered” gimmick.

Queasy on November 4, 2006 at 2:44 PM

Gobsmackingly vile.

Greg Tinti on November 4, 2006 at 2:44 PM

Some people are determined to completely deprive the word “torture” of any meaning at all. These people who claim to be the defenders of human rights are ultimately going to ensure that noone has any.

DaveS on November 4, 2006 at 2:45 PM

If it’ll get info out of terrorists which in turn can (likely) save lives then I say waterboard every damn terrorist captured as far as I’m concerned.

Yakko77 on November 4, 2006 at 2:48 PM

We don’t talk about techniques we do or do not use, because we’d like to win and therefore don’t want to show our enemies the hand we’re playing. The NYT, on the other hand, loves doing that sort of thing.

75% of the Abu Ghraib “torture” takes place during our military induction physical.

Pablo on November 4, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Now that is real journalism. Suck it, Christiane Amanpour.

Enrique on November 4, 2006 at 2:57 PM

These methods are used to save lives, the terrorist’s “methods” just end lives.

infidel on November 4, 2006 at 2:59 PM

So it would appear that there is more lasting psychological damage from an Olbermann one night stand….

rw on November 4, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Mary Jo Kopechne was unavailable for comment

Wade on November 4, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Soothsayer,
I understand where you are coming from asking why The President didn’t defend this technique, but I think he was right not to. The reason is that if he gets into any specifics about any kind of interrogation methods then he could likely be lead into saying something that would give our enemies some useful information.

It would be good politically, but not good for our safety.

/two cents

greenpiece on November 4, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Come on AP, why remove my post? It was a symbolic joke not a sincere deathwish.

fogw on November 4, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Wait. That’s torture? My wife does that to me every night as part of our foreplay.

lorien1973 on November 4, 2006 at 3:08 PM

That’s a great point. I got beat up in grade school worse than that. Bush should come right out and defend it.

“Sure we waterboard terrorist detainees. So what? Do you have any idea how weak waterboarding actually is? Christ, I waterboard Laura every morning as part of her daily constitutional.”

Of course, I’m sure he’d word it better…

Enrique on November 4, 2006 at 3:10 PM

Now get him a pad-eye to blow out, and make him kiss Neptune’s Baby.

Wander on November 4, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Come on AP, why remove my post? It was a symbolic joke not a sincere deathwish.

If we can’t make jokes about David Gregory’s decapitation, then the terrorists have already won.

Enrique on November 4, 2006 at 3:12 PM

rw – If we tortured our enemies by making them watch Obermann then I would join the ACLU today – that’s just too far. I’m all for doing what it takes to get the info, but there is a line.

greenpiece on November 4, 2006 at 3:14 PM

AP, why don’t you reinsert my post and let the people here decide if it was a funny analogy or a distasteful remark? I think you’re being unfair.

fogw on November 4, 2006 at 3:21 PM

And yet – there is still no collective outcry about what the other side does to our soldiers.

Compared to that, this is mild.

Emmett J. on November 4, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Because I don’t want “jokes” about killing people on the site. People in the media who want to smear Michelle will look for this stuff and point to it as proof of the kind of commenters she attracts. And then you’ll say, “BUT I WAS KIDDING!” But meanwhile, the story will already be written and published and she’ll have to bear the brunt.

Allahpundit on November 4, 2006 at 3:27 PM

If they had slapped is belly, he would have changed his name to Habib and memorized the Koran. Just kidding, Steve is a reporter par excellence.

Valiant on November 4, 2006 at 3:31 PM

I was going to go snowboarding but I don’t like having ice dropped down my nose.

Benaiah on November 4, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Can I go next..

Viper1 on November 4, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Sorry to disagree, but I’ve seen a lot worse said on this site, and it wasn’t said in jest. You’re going to have your hands full monitoring every word and phrase posted by commenters here, if you expect to remove anything that sheds a bad light on Michelle, you or HotAir.

I guess I’ll just have to stifle my sarcastic commentaries in the future.

fogw on November 4, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Mary Jo Kopechne was unavailable for comment

Wade on November 4, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Beat me to it.

Have to give Harrigan props. What other reporter would subject himself to something like this?

The White House press corps whines about cramped quarters. Could you see any of them having the cojones to do this?

JammieWearingFool on November 4, 2006 at 3:41 PM

AP, if you want to see someone else with some moxie, see if you can get a clip of Joe Paterno getting run into on the sideline today. He’s lucky his leg wasn’t shattered. And he wanted to remain there before they carted him off.

I hope he’ll be OK.

Story here.

JammieWearingFool on November 4, 2006 at 3:46 PM

I like Steve Harrigan… why couldn’t we have waterboarded Alan Colmes?

tiekitwist on November 4, 2006 at 3:51 PM

“I was ready to tell them anything in minutes”

Therein lies the problem.

eminuu on November 4, 2006 at 3:56 PM

fogw,
I loved your post, how bout another view. Who will be the first leftist MSM reporter to demonstrate the terrorists techniques.?

infidel on November 4, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Steve has guts. When Christiane said, “I’m glad it wasn’t my assignment” I could almost see him thinking, “I wish it hadn’t been my assignment.”

EWTHeckman on November 4, 2006 at 3:56 PM

I don’t know about the rest of you, but for me, Junior High School was WAY more scarier than THAT.

CyberCipher on November 4, 2006 at 3:57 PM

That board with the holes in it that my dad put on my but was alot worse than that, especially with a hangover.

rocked on November 4, 2006 at 4:06 PM

In the interest of fair and balanced, why arent the enemies methods shown every time they show ours?

infidel on November 4, 2006 at 4:08 PM

From a different thread today …..

I have to admit, though, there are around 2,800 troops who will never have to worry about finding a job ever again.

Constantine on November 4, 2006 at 2:49 PM

This kind of humor is OK? Making a joke about brave soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country remains posted on the thread? Making a crack about dead soldiers passes the PC test, but my crack about an NBC reporter is off base.

Now I’m really confused.

fogw on November 4, 2006 at 4:46 PM

I like Steve Harrigan… why couldn’t we have waterboarded Alan Colmes?

It probably would have killed Alan. Either that or he’d confess to the Kennedy assassination, or to a gay affair with J. Edgar Hoover.

Whatever happened, it wouldn’t be pretty. Funny, yeah. But not pretty.

Pablo on November 4, 2006 at 4:48 PM

I waterboarding works that well, how about wakeboarding?

Oh, right…. that’s something altogether different. ;)

digitalintrigue on November 4, 2006 at 6:22 PM

THey should have had him clutching a Koran yelling “Allah akhbar” while wearing a turbin if you ask me.

SouthernGent on November 4, 2006 at 6:30 PM

This is what our own Congress should have been doing before going off the deep end with their hysterical reaction that water boarding was torture.

I had it done to me in training and could not understand the outrage by people like John McCain. They should demonstrate some of the other things that were done to me that were far worse as far as pain goes.

I guess the little people now understand how their own leaders are a bunch of wimps now that Steve has demonstrated this technique.

ScottyDog on November 4, 2006 at 6:35 PM

Now that’s good waterboarding.

Helloyawl on November 4, 2006 at 6:44 PM

“Be the first on your block to get waterboarded!”

Pablo on November 4, 2006 at 2:17 PM

Haha! I can see a new TV Reality series in the making.

Texas Gal on November 4, 2006 at 7:18 PM

Am I the only person reminded, by the liberal drumbeat on torture these past few years, by Lenny Bruce’s classic “hot lead enema” routine?

When Amnesty International says that torture doesn’t even get good information, the scientist in me wonders if they’ve done a controlled experiment. Certainly, from Stanley Milgram on down numerous lab tests have shown how people can be coerced. American POWs in Korea and Vietnam broke, in some cases.

If the lives of my kids, granddaughter or country were threatened, I say get out the bars of solder and a propane torch.

rokemronnie on November 4, 2006 at 8:06 PM

I absolutely love Steve Harrigan. What liberal news correspondent would undergo this? Okay, I’m going to squint my eyes and try to picture Matthews, Russert or Olberman! They have admitted their liberal biases! Ah, yes, now I feel better!

Neocon Peg on November 4, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Clearly torture. You neocons can follow King George in to this torturous, phone tapping, police state all you want. Me and my liberal friends would rather thousands of people die than have a jihadi be uncomfortable enough to give up information.

RightWinged on November 4, 2006 at 8:59 PM

RightWinged

Spot on! Death to the King! Ooops, sorry Allah!

Neocon Peg on November 4, 2006 at 9:23 PM

Coming soon to frathouse hazings everywhere…I can imagine the leftist University heads freaking out over this.

Choke on it, Ward Churchill!

Black Adam on November 5, 2006 at 3:57 AM

Wow, this is some Book of the New Sun stuff: maximum effect with maximum efficiency. Why cause damage when you can use mankind’s inborn terror of drowning to do your work for you? For any history wonks out there, look up medieval water torture for some truly scary stuff. This is peanuts beside it! And bravo for Mr. Harrigan! A very intriguing and informative report. Thanks for posting it AP.

Militant Bibliophile on November 5, 2006 at 5:10 AM

Throw these stage performers who call themselves journalists into a Turkish jail for a week – and then what sort of persepective they have after they get out of that.

naliaka on November 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Damn, my sarcasm was too obvious this time. Last time I pulled something to the effect of my earlier comment I had a bunch of shocked Republicans demanding I explain myself. It was great.. practical joke via blog comments.

RightWinged on November 5, 2006 at 12:22 PM

infidel on November 4, 2006 at 4:08 PM

Because very few reporters would volunteer to have their heads cut off.

- The Cat

MirCat on November 5, 2006 at 1:33 PM

Ancient Chinese secret huh?

Buck Turgidson on November 5, 2006 at 5:19 PM