Kerry’s website defends Kerry’s “joke” Update: with video Update: Kerry un-un-apologizes

posted at 4:58 pm on November 3, 2006 by Bryan

Why does johnkerry.com sport a link to the following Seattle Post-Intelligencer editorial?

“Education” Kerry said “– if you make the most of it and you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.”

Was Kerry making fun of the president, or warning students against the pitfalls awaiting the undereducated in general?

It doesn’t matter. Kerry was right either way.

That’s posted right now on John Kerry’s website. It goes on to slam Bush and defend Kerry’s crass remark. And just like Kerry and his other defenders, it’s wrong on the facts.

But that’s not the point. The point is, why does Kerry’s own site have this editorial posted?

Because even though he has “apologized” several times and in disingenuous ways, at heart he meant what he said. When he finds someone who supports his smear, he links right to them to justify himself. Someone who truly meant to apologize for a remark he doesn’t believe wouldn’t do that.

If you’re depending on the argument that Kerry wouldn’t be dumb enough to smear the troops a week out from an election, you’re depending on John Kerry having smart political instincts. You might as well depend on the Tooth Fairy, because John Kerry’s smart political instincts don’t exist.

Update (Allahpundit): Here’s video of Vets for Freedom co-founder Wade Zirkle slamming Kerry on Fox.

Update: Crazy! Crazy for believing John Kerry… (h/t HB)

Update: Kerry’s website has removed the Seattle P-I editorial that said he was “right either way.” So, if you’re keeping score, he’s un-un-apologizing, but still not yet actually apologizing, for smearing our troops.

Comments

Uh…the arms aren’t paying attention to what the head says
But that’s normal with democrats and libs

Defector01 on November 3, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Shhhhh… don’t show this to AP.

p0s3r on November 3, 2006 at 5:05 PM

Well, the reason Kerry is “sporting the link” is because the Seattle PI is sinking just as fast as his presidential hopes.

Editor on November 3, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Did someone order a vertical tunnelling machine?

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on November 3, 2006 at 5:09 PM

The true delight in this all for me is that Mr. Kerry is *finally* having his shennanigans of the early ’70′s and since reexamined in light of these comments. This actually touched a nerve in folks who didn’t think him worth worrying about.

The Swiftboat Vets were themselves “swiftboated” by the MSM for trying to disparage the service of a “war hero”…completely forgetting that they were themselves, many of them, war heroes, and many knew him. *FOR ONCE* the guy was taken at his word, and the Swiftboat guys are getting a re-think…well, not exactly a re-think, as the MSM won’t permit that….

Maybe, at least, we’ll finally have a set definition for the term “swiftboating”, along the lines of “a politician being exposed as a villain by independent citizens or a group of independent citizens for malfeasance in his or her past”…rather than the current definition.

Puritan1648 on November 3, 2006 at 5:19 PM

You’re sooooo in right-wing nutroot territory for posting this Bryan.

I can say that, since it takes one to know one ;)

thirteen28 on November 3, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Wow, if that editorial came from anywhere other than the west coast I’d be shocked. Once again though a55hat Kerry is showing his “true colors” by posting this editorial. Some people floating around in la la land think of Kerry as a “hero” for spouting his beliefs. If you want to know what a true hero is I direct you to here or try here. Or just go to Ask.com and search Medal of Honor. Each citation reads differently but each carries the same theme, each person listed put others before themselves. Some made the ultimate sacrifice. To the soldiers still serving this great nation God Speed.

SPIFF1669 on November 3, 2006 at 5:38 PM

He was for the troops before he was against them!

see-dubya on November 3, 2006 at 5:46 PM

This kind of says it all.

Scot on November 3, 2006 at 5:47 PM

The Seattle P-I is only a slot toward the right of dKos for it’s viewpoints. It has always been the poor little sister to the Seattle Times, itself a fairly liberal paper, but a little more moderated. The P-I is the NYT representative in the northwest. Not surprising, its’ readership has been in a steady decline for the past 6 or 7 years. Here is more on their circulation problems.

Kerry is a drowning man grasping at the straws of a sinking raft. They were made for each other.

Mallard T. Drake on November 3, 2006 at 5:49 PM

Will this help to convince AP?

IrishEi on November 3, 2006 at 5:52 PM

Kerry just can’t let it go, can he? He has to be getting calls from Dems that are running for office telling him to shut the hell up.

Rick on November 3, 2006 at 5:56 PM

see dubya,

He was for the ignorant troops before he was against them!

There. I Kerryed that up for you.

Pablo on November 3, 2006 at 6:08 PM

Notice this isn’t just a simple case of linking to an article, but splashed on the front page of Kerry’s website is a graphic designed just for this editorial. They spent some time on this. He might as well go on CNN and give the finger to all military personnel now.

TexasRainmaker on November 3, 2006 at 6:14 PM

Allahpundit says there is nothing to forgive, so…..no. John Kerry is the very milk of human kindness and should be appoligized to by all us hate filled right-wingers.

TBinSTL on November 3, 2006 at 6:18 PM

The point is, why does Kerry’s own site have this editorial posted?

No idea why he did it, but I can tell you what it looks like. “I apologized to get out of trouble, but you know I was right, and here’s proof.”

Kevin M on November 3, 2006 at 6:23 PM

Kerry just can’t let go…what a total loser.

Wade on November 3, 2006 at 6:24 PM

haha, sorry but I’ve got to say this…. Generally I assume posts are written by Allah, and did with this one until I read

After reading it I immediately scrolled up and was like… oh, this is Bryan… that’s why.

I do have to disagree with you on one thing though Bryan… Kerry’s “political instincts” may not be the greatest, but playing the retard card almost gives him a pass. He’s a career politician who knew what he was saying and didn’t make a mistake bashing the troops right before this election. He simply didn’t know there was anything wrong with what he said. In their world, there was nothing wrong with it… Might I remind everyone again that this almost never came out. The local TV station aired a segment with Kerry’s comment as if it were just normal campaign speech and didn’t even note any type of controversy. It was the guy from KFI or whatever who happened to hear it (I watched him give the timeline on FNC the other day). He couldn’t believe his ears. Luckily the station was taping it and he was able to go and rewind it to confirm if what he heard was true. It was, he played it on air and then the blogosphere ran with it. It makes me wonder if Kerry hasn’t said it before.

We know politicians and media types occassionally get busted for casually saying something they didn’t know was wrong because of the bubbles they exist in. Remember when the major network producer (or something like that) got caught trashing bush via Blackberry. He simply thought nothing of it, because that was the way they’d have talked arond the office. Same goes for Kerry’s “joke”.

So anyway, yes he’s an idiot for saying it, but I almost feel like calling him an idiot lets him off as “slipping” in a way, when I think he was conscious but didn’t realize how offensive it was to say what he said.

RightWinged on November 3, 2006 at 6:41 PM

“No idea why he did it, but I can tell you what it looks like. ‘I apologized to get out of trouble, but you know I was right, and here’s proof.’”

Kevin M on November 3, 2006 at 6:23 PM

Perfect analysis.

The only thing Kerry “learned” from having his phoney-baloney “War Hero” presidential campaign shot down by the Swifties was to viciously attack anyone with the temerity to point out what an anti-military fraud he is.

Spurius Ligustinus on November 3, 2006 at 6:43 PM

Bryan gets it and there’s really not much else to say.

TheBigOldDog on November 3, 2006 at 6:45 PM

I did get that Kennedy half dollar under my pillow that one time…. but my mom copped to it a few years later…

Viper1 on November 3, 2006 at 7:00 PM

RightWinged, this is the guy who gets or should get the credit for breaking these news, John Ziegler.

It doesn’t matter. Kerry was right wrong either way.

Sen. Kerry is pulling on justification-straws. He came up with one female general (I believe retired) and this Seattle story to justify his…whatever you wish that it is/was…I give up analyzing it. None of the liberal biggies are supporting him. His ego must be very lonely and abandoned.

Those pictures from his 70s testimony urge me to lunge into the screen and punch him in the nose. That voice and the accent. Elitist phoney. He must have been a really pampered child/youth. What a haughty buffoon he was, and still is. He learned nothing.

At fault are those dummies who voted this empty windbag in, over and over.

Entelechy on November 3, 2006 at 7:05 PM

“Although there are plenty of well-educated people in our armed forces — Kerry was one of them — military service has long been an opportunity employer for those with less education and fewer skills than they need to work in the private sector. Indeed, the military sells itself as a place to garner skills and to help pay for higher education.”

Words that can only be penned by an out-of-touch, fossilized, elitist Seattle newspaper editor who, like John Kerry, is trapped in a time warp where it’s always 1968.

They don’t take “down-and-outers” in the military today. They don’t have to. One of the “benefits” of a drastically reduced military – i.e., a 10-division Army instead of 18 divisions, or a Navy reduced from almost 600 ships at the end of the Cold War to less than 300 today – is that the recruiters can be a lot more picky than they used to be.

So although it’s true that the armed forces used to accept people who, to borrow from Richard Gere’s memorable line in An Officer and a Gentleman “Had nowhere else to go” – most of the guys like the ones that I went through basic training with in 1979 would never be allowed in under today’s standards.

And if John Kerry and his apologists at the Seattle P-I had any clue about how things have changed since “The Hippie Heaven of ’67,” they’d already know that.

Spurius Ligustinus on November 3, 2006 at 7:05 PM

Preponderance of Evidence

Stephen M on November 3, 2006 at 7:25 PM

And if John Kerry and his apologists at the Seattle P-I had any clue about how things have changed since “The Hippie Heaven of ‘67,” they’d already know that.

Spurius Ligustinus on November 3, 2006 at 7:05 PM

I’ve read/heard that drugs alter/warp minds. Super-egos too. Aristocratic elitism beats all other and is most effective.

Entelechy on November 3, 2006 at 7:30 PM

If you really want to analyze John Kerry, look up the psychological definition of “Narcissist”.

The Machine on November 3, 2006 at 9:37 PM

Here is what Kerry’s site didn’t post from that Seattle Pi Editorial. See for yourself here.

Does Kerry owe anyone an apology for his remarks about education and Iraq?
71.9%
Yes. 26.6%
1.5%
Don’t know or care.
Total Votes: 1551

TrueSoldier on November 3, 2006 at 10:31 PM

John Kerry-Heinz — so much time and so much material. Geez, imagine if Comedy Central had a conservative Comedy show to counter Jon Stewarts “The Daily Show.” Lewis Black comes to mind; “The Black Report?”

Wuptdo on November 3, 2006 at 10:36 PM

Before everyone freaks out, maybe this is just another botched joke.

frankj on November 3, 2006 at 10:51 PM

…the maximum effective range of an apology is zero meters.

There are VFW and Legion halls all over the country where folks are hoistin’ ‘em to the demise of Kerry, as they would if Jane Fonda were to come up positive for a really severe yeast infection…there’s no use apologizing to them. They wouldn’t accept an apology from this career gigolo…his being shown up as a buffoon does go some way toward making up, though….

Puritan1648 on November 3, 2006 at 11:23 PM

…what this episode has *really* done for the Right is give the folks on the Left, like the folks writing for that Seattle paper cited above, to vent a little of their *real* feelings about the military in public.

Honestly, I don’t think that they have *ANY* idea how offensive their examination of this matter is, and how transparent their insistance that Kerry was right is.

These Lefties are like the dense white guy who’s all flabergasted when he brings a watermelon to a black neighbor’s birthday party. “What you all looking at? I thought you people *LIKED* watermelon!”

Puritan1648 on November 3, 2006 at 11:27 PM

Have I accepted Kerry’s apology?

How can you accept what wasn’t offered?

Kerry should resign.

LewWaters on November 4, 2006 at 12:17 AM

Non-apology not accepted. I will never forget and never forgive people who commit treason.

ReubenJCogburn on November 4, 2006 at 12:48 AM

Doesn’t matter if it was a “botched joke” on Bush or the troops or whomever.
Kerry meant if for all of us here in Flyover Country–he thinks we’re all the stupid unwashed masses he’s so far above and intellectually superior to!
(Even if it was a joke on Bush, sKerry went to Yale, too, and he made worse grades than Bush—what’s dumber than being “stuck in Iraq?” I dunno, how about having to make martinis and score Oxicontin for Theresa and then have sex on demand with the b*tch? And for this he went to law school, too, I suppose.)

Kerry’s a liar, a traitor and a not-so-secret Marxist and he can kiss my *ss!
Happy to say I sent some $ to the Swift Boat guys in ’04 and pulled the lever for Bush for the fourth time (2xPrez, 2xGov.Tex.) with enormous pride and pleasure!

Jen the Neocon on November 4, 2006 at 1:01 AM

The obvious lesson here is that some people should never try to be funny.

I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,
But I didn’t see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,
Oh, if I’d only seen that the joke was on me.

– The Bee Gees, 1968

Entelechy on November 4, 2006 at 1:24 AM

Hey! I had that Kerry video linked on this thread at 5:47 pm. I demand a hat tip! And some of those nutter butter cookies.

Scot on November 4, 2006 at 1:58 AM

Kerry is a traitor, a seditionist, and an elitist asshole.

Screw him!

georgej on November 4, 2006 at 2:01 AM

Where arrogance and elitism trump education, and produce complete stupidity:

“Get educated or paint a target on your back.”

“I was talking about Bush! If you can’t see that, you’re crazy!”

“I apologize to noone for Bush’s failures.”

“Umm, I botched a joke, why couldn’t you sort it out like I meant it? How dumb are you, anyway?”

“Ahh, I sincerely regret that you can’t properly interpret my intentions through my botched words. I apologize if you got offended.”

“Heh, see this article? I was right, after all. Get educated or paint a target on your back. And why haven’t you accepted my apology yet, you morons?!”

Freelancer on November 4, 2006 at 7:25 AM

It doesn’t matter. Kerry was right either way, before he was wrong.

Sean M. on November 4, 2006 at 7:42 AM

Probably was part of his contractual obligations to the MSM whenever they cover his butt.

fogw on November 4, 2006 at 9:37 AM

Perhaps Kerry’s apologizing for not apologizing after he did’nt apologize for apologizing for a joke that he didn’t say after he made it which was really intelligent satire disguised as a part of a serious lecture which was meant to illustrate the great social ills of the times…

Provided that Kerry actually made the comments at all – after all despite video, it could have been a stand in – couldn’t it? And one who wasn’t properly prepped at that?

Or maybe he did it after he didn’t do it? Which could explain everything that he has done, done, or will do in future.

Enough of the silliness, which all of this is, anyway – for some really good kerry stuff, go to the wintersoldier website.

Emmett J. on November 4, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Well thank you John Kerry for proving me right, and those who were so quick to give you a break wrong. You see, in Flippers World it is OK to bash our Heroes just as long as the audience approves.

I would link to the post I made on Kerry’s frame of mind if it hadn’t been removed from Hot Air. :oP

DannoJyd on November 4, 2006 at 9:55 AM

I don’t think I would call Allah a traitor to conservatism for believing Kerry. Although it does strike me as being sorta gullible. Allah are you still voting straight Democrat on the 7th?

jones on November 4, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Shame on Him
John Kerry picked the wrong people to insult

I missed the joke. You must forgive me, for there just is not a lot of room in my life for even good jokes–and there is absolutely no room for “botched jokes”–when the subject of the joke is my son who was killed in Iraq. I know exactly what came out of Sen. John Kerry’s mouth, and in those words there is no interpretation required. His attempt to convince us–and, I believe, to convince himself that that there was really a botched joke buried deep within his insult is in fact a reaffirmation of his ever-present condescending nature. He actually believes that we are stupid enough to agree with him and start laughing simply because he said it was a joke. Mr. Kerry said exactly what he meant and meant exactly what he said. In those words Mr. Kerry did in fact wash completely away the facade of his support of our magnificent troops and revealed for all to see his true colors.

TheBigOldDog on November 4, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Only two defining forces have ever

offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

One died for your soul;

the other for your freedom.

conservativecaveman on November 4, 2006 at 4:37 PM

ekuspa40 on November 4, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Picture1000 Words

Stephen M on November 4, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Am I as a decorated Vietnam Vet making a joke of Kerry when I call him a disgusting moron…a man with no ideas…no adjenda…no plan…all he has is hate for GW…

Like all lib dems…they don’t want to win the war on terror…let alone fight it…

Wake up American…Muslims want you dead…they want to kill you….

areseaoh on November 5, 2006 at 2:47 AM

aresearch,

The medals you wore/wear are not decoration. They were earned by a man of pride. I am a Vietnam era vet myself.

I wish we could find a different term instead of decorated.

Kerry claims to be a decorated Vietnam Vet. The big difference between him and you is that his is nothing but decoration.

BobK on November 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Kerry is toast. Her Royal Clintonite has seen to it.

Dave R. on November 5, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Bingo, sez the black retired GI.

baldilocks on November 5, 2006 at 6:42 PM

Kerry’s site did remove the image of the Seattle P-I editorial from his home page, but the actual editorial is still there, as Bryan originally noted. It’s also the first item under his “recent news headlines“.

Steve Tsouloufis on November 5, 2006 at 10:37 PM

Not only was I FOR John Kerry’s apology before I was AGAINST it, but I was FOR extreme makeover of John Kerry before I was AGAINST it.

CyberCipher on November 5, 2006 at 10:44 PM