What the left really thinks about the military

posted at 10:54 pm on November 1, 2006 by Bryan

This is why John Kerry would make a joke about lazy, uneducated troops in front of an audience of leftwing college kids:

Jesus, so many people are so nervous about what John Kerry said, like he’s lying.

John Kerry is telling the truth and everyone knows it. Rich kids do not join the military, college bound kids don’t join the military, only the poor and those who can’t get scholarships do. Acting like he was lying or insulting people is just bullsh*t.

That’s leftwing blogger Steve Gilliard, famous for blackfacing Maryland Lt Gov and Senate candidate Michael Steele, expressing open contempt for the military. Gilliard is wrong on the facts, but that’s never stopped a liberal from raving before. (h/t Ace)

Here’s another one:

Talk about speaking the stark truth to students who want more out of life. The education system in California is a mess, especially in L.A. County. Each day I pick my daughter up at school I see the recruiters leaving, smiling because they have snagged another kid who’s trapped by the system and sees no future other than enlisting. It shouldn’t be like this. A 50% drop out rate is unacceptable. What is the bottom line for these kids, a job at McDonald’s or Iraq. Kudos to Kerry for delivering a wake up call to the young voters at the rally (wingnuts are all wet on their claims).

You want more? Here’s more:

“But I think what we’re coming to grips with is the fact that we actually have a mercenary Army,” Clift said, according to a transcript of “The McLaughlin Group” program.

“And it doesn’t have a nice ring to it. We call it ‘volunteers,’ but we’re basically paying people to serve their country. And if you’re going to pay people and have a mercenary Army, you’re going to have to pay the market rate. And so the bounties are going up — more money for tuition, higher enlistment bonuses — and I think it’s appropriate.”

That’s Newsweek reporter and longtime lefty apologist Eleanor Clift, describing those who volunteer to serve in harm’s way as “mercenaries.” Traditionally, mercenaries are those who fight not for a flag or a country, but for the highest bidder. That cannot honestly be said of anyone in the US military. Believe me, most troops are aware that they’re not paid as much as the likes of Eleanor Clift. But they do their jobs anyway, because they believe it’s the right and honorable thing to do.

There’s more out there–Sen. Dick Durbin comparing our troops to Nazis, John Kerry himself comparing the Vietnam-era military to the army of Jenjis Khan and slamming today’s for terrorizing women and children in Iraq, etc etc etc. Find a smear of the military, and behind it stands a Democrat.

Here’s the truth: As Bill Clinton wrote of himself in trying to dodge the draft, most of the left loathes the military. Liberal elitists denigrate the military because they don’t appreciate its role in protecting us and see it as the one part of government they’re always willing to slash to the bone. Think about why that last part is true. Why are liberals always ready to cut the military and boost agencies like HUD? Why? Doesn’t that say something about their attitudes, principles and priorities? I’ve seen it myself, the wince on a liberal’s face when I mention I was once in the Air Force. It’s a reflexive mistrust and hatred, a hangover from the 60s for those like Kerry, and the pabulum that the younger ones have been fed from the cradle.

Kerry’s “joke” was a famously Kinsleyan gaffe–a moment when a politicial says what he really thinks. And that’s why his story keeps changing when he tries to explain it. He can’t just come out and say, outside the safe confines of a gathering of like-minded leftists, what he really, really thinks about the military.

Update (Allahpundit): Reader Jeff Farmer sends this along.

unclekerry.JPG

Comments

I’m proud that some people actually got the codes in the “botched” joke.

Ouabam on November 1, 2006 at 11:00 PM

BTW – Bryan, thank you for your service.

And a big shout out to all the other current/former military folks. God bless you all.

Ugly on November 1, 2006 at 11:04 PM

Bryan,
I was an ICBM Commander in the USAF. My wife is a college professor. I used to mention what I did in the company of her colleagues. I received that same look you mentioned above. It was so predictable.

liberty on November 1, 2006 at 11:04 PM

My service was nothing–non-hazardous peacetime stuff, far away from any war (since North Korea didn’t blow up while I was in Japan). Kerry ripped the people who are fighting and dying for us right now, and many on the left are behind him 100%. That’s despicable and needs to be called out.

Bryan on November 1, 2006 at 11:06 PM

They are all cowards.

SouthernGent on November 1, 2006 at 11:07 PM

They are all cowards.

The military haters, that is.

SouthernGent on November 1, 2006 at 11:07 PM

I think the heart and soul of your entire post is captured in that one sentence.

EFG on November 1, 2006 at 11:11 PM

My nephew has the grades and money to go to any college he choses, has been accepted to some of the best..he wants to join the Marines…his grandfather wants him to go Air Force as he did..Grandfather wants him to do ROTC and come out as C.O…Nephew wants to do his part for this country and he wants to do it now…I guess he doesn’t fit into Gillards stupidity.

Pam on November 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM

I guess I can stop repeating myself now. My point is made with their own words. It was no botched joke. It was a well worn admonition that Libs give all the time. He just made the mistake of speaking his mind, on the road, in front of cameras. When he realized it, he briefly smirked.

TheBigOldDog on November 1, 2006 at 11:13 PM

To Clift’s comments:

What the hell does this woman want?

Yesterday’s “volunteers” are today’s “mercenaries?”

And, if we didn’t pay these “mercenaries,” they’d be called “slaves.”

What part of the age-old concept of “paying for an army” doesn’t this woman understand?

Going postal, momentarily, I joined to pay for tuition. I didn’t see the first gulf war, but I was told to have my sh*t packed. I did manage to spend a goodly amount of time in “K” block during the lucasville prison riot, as well. I understood getting called into service as being part of the gig.

I didn’t have scholarships, and the only way for me to go to school was to live off the government for four or more years.

I have a problem with someone else paying my way.

Screw that bitch.

yo on November 1, 2006 at 11:16 PM

Bill Clinton was right on one point: the left loathes the military. Who can blame them? They feel inferior in the presence of real men and real women. Really, liberals are a minority in our country. One day, I’m sure they will cry out for special protection and rights – oh wait! – they do that today.

thedecider on November 1, 2006 at 11:19 PM

My service was nothing

Bryan on November 1, 2006 at 11:06 PM

Bullshit. Thanks.

Ugly on November 1, 2006 at 11:20 PM

liberals believe that no country should have a military & that all nations on this planet should be peaceful with each other & “talk” to each other if there are problems & no country should have any type of border fencing either, so that people around this planet can go anywhere they want & not be stopped by Border patrols of each country. that is the liberal thinking in this country.

Starblazer on November 1, 2006 at 11:20 PM

I was a MP in the National Guard that never went anywhere important other than drills and basically served my hitch without incident, but I feel that I did more to serve my country than Lurch has ever done, either in “Cambodia” (my ass) or Capitol Hill.

Kerry, you lying bastard, you can twist and clarify and redefine and reword all you want, but I heard your statement, and I’m pretty sure that given the facts that I’ve been reading on a college level since the sixth grade (thanks Mom), and I have a 150+ IQ, I have a real good grasp on the English language so I KNOW WHAT YOU SAID!! So consider yourself officially invited to STFU and STFD!!

MOMinuteman on November 1, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Clift cannot answer you, she is reading the DNC talking points to see what to say next, then she has to call Hillary. Please get back to her tomorrow. Thank You

“I am Elesnor Clift and as soon as I remove my lips from Hillary’s arse, we will approve this message.”

right2bright on November 1, 2006 at 11:24 PM

Does Eleanor Rodham Clift not know that draftees also got paid to serve their country?

Lehuster on November 1, 2006 at 11:25 PM

The Dums have sceem all hatched out it seems. Their goin after the President if they win. I like the Pres. I don’t know why I never met him. But he says what he means and he means what he says. He’s a good boss man. He’s fair and effective. He’s tolerant. These tools are really gonna put it to him. Its a shame. Best of all George w. Bush is a good role model. Someone you can look up to.I wish there was something more I could do.

sonnyspats1 on November 1, 2006 at 11:27 PM

STFD!!

MOMinuteman on November 1, 2006 at 11:23 PM

That needs to be screamed from the top down.

Ugly on November 1, 2006 at 11:29 PM

Kerry’s remark wasn’t a gaffe. It was an offhand remark giving us a peak into what he *REALLY* thinks. That’s rare for a politician, showing that he actually believes something.

Kerry believes that those who are in the military — who don’t use the service as a ticket-punch to feather their futures — are dopes. He’s not alone.

There are a few true believers who think, like Clift, that our military people are killers, mercenaries, etc. Still, most of these Lefties think that folks who give college a pass to go into the military, or opt to serve rather than cash in on college, are saps. Ted Rall even called Pat Tillman a “sap”.

They’re saps, they think, because the miss the point of life: personal gratification. They’re hopeless, unrepentant waffly navel-gazers.

They blast Mr. Bush for being so “certain”, and his Administration for showing solidarity. Certainty shows a lack of negotiable ethics, which enable one to catch next fashion that slithers by. Mr. Bush and these pesky military people aren’t sufficiently self-absorbed. The Lefties think that’s creepy.

Who else don’t they like? Christians! Those bloody “fundamentalist wackos” are certain, and they think of others…and not that institutionalized charity brand of state charity “think of others”, but actually going out and feeding and ministering to folks without bachelors degrees.

Military folks think of others…and many of them are Christians. I’m surprised that Kerry doesn’t call for them to be stripped of their citizenship and deported. They’re so…American.

Puritan1648 on November 1, 2006 at 11:48 PM

My son Tim called me today. He and his shipmates were upset and confused about Kerry’s remarks. They are all down in Pensacola learning to fly jets after spending four years in the gulag commonly known as USNA. Every one of these sailors could have gone to top notch schools… Believe me, I know, I am the kid’s mother… American University offered Tim half tuition with a financial aid package and, he didn’t even fill the entire ap out!

Don’t get mad, get even … Donate to Operation Valour-IT, laptops for our wounded or, Operation Gratitude, sending gifts of greetings to all the “stupid people” deployed overseas….

What a crazy country we live in!

Babs on November 1, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Reasonable people are free to disagree on what exactly John Kerry meant to say. I’ve made my opinion clear.

I don’t think anyone with a functioning brain can dispute the fact that liberals and Democrats, in general, loathe the military. They aren’t even very shy about admitting it. Whether Kerry meant what he said or not – plenty of liberals DO mean exactly that.

And that is the big story here. THAT is the truth that conservatives need to keep shining a light on.

Professor Blather on November 1, 2006 at 11:50 PM

Puritan1648 said:

Ted Rall even called Pat Tillman a “sap”.

Ted Rall is such a sublimely grotesque douchebag that he makes John Kerry seem like a wonderful human being by comparison.

Sorry. Not a big Rall fan.

Professor Blather on November 1, 2006 at 11:53 PM

What a crazy country we live in!

Babs on November 1, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Amen, sister.

Ugly on November 1, 2006 at 11:53 PM

What a crazy country we live in!

Babs on November 1, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Sadly, it’s all going to change, sooner rather than later. We only live in a crazy country because the military has kept the peace long enough for half our citizens to forget what the real world is like.

Hard times are coming. 9/11 was a beginning not an end. I hope I’m wrong … but history says I’m right.

We’re going to need our troops more than ever in the next 40-50 years … and even liberals are going to be appreciating them. Wait and see.

It’s easy to mock the troops in Iraq. It’s not so easy to mock the troops when they’re saving your life, your home, your family … right here at home. It’s coming, in our lifetimes.

And people like John Kerry will be a badly remembered joke.

Professor Blather on November 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM

Well, I’m in a good place. Little known fact… USNA students spend a year in Marine Corps Hand to Hand Combat classes…
I remember reading about the passengers on the flight that crashed in PA. The terrorists had no idea who they were dealing with…

Babs on November 2, 2006 at 12:02 AM

Well, God bless your son, Tim, and all the men and women who chose to serve our country. Hang in there, Babs. Most of the country is honestly behind you and supports your son. As for donating to “Operation IT”, is there a web site you can point us to?

thedecider on November 2, 2006 at 12:12 AM

“college bound kids don’t join the military, only the poor and those who can’t get scholarships do.” Maybe not at his elitist private university but at my state school one of my fraternity brothers always woke up after our crazy parties to go run 5 miles with a pack and in boots. He was in the Marine ROTC and was a real smart guy. Also, a girl I worked with was in the Air Force ROTC, she didn’t have to be in ROTC or work or probably go to school for that matter because her family had enough money and connections for her. Although I chose not to join the military I am proud to have friends like these who take it upon themselves to protect everything I hold dear.

jtk83 on November 2, 2006 at 12:12 AM

Professor Blather on November 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM

My son, who is 15 and eager to join the Army, asked me last week “How long do you think I should serve?”

I was serious when I told him to plan a career in the military. Not only would he gain a lifetime of knowledge in a few short years, he’d take that and share it if/when he retires. And when he’s gone, his descendants will remember him not for his ’99 Dodge, but for his tales, and his wisdom.

I dunno. Maybe it’s silly, sappy, pride and wishfulness

Ugly on November 2, 2006 at 12:13 AM

Hey Decider – You bet!

Donate under the Navy flag (they are trailing badly and really, all the money goes to the same cause…)

Cut and paste on this, I don’t seem to know how to do a hot link…

Don’t let the fact that Hot Air (and Byron the bus driver) dissuade you from the Navy team! We are rightous, we are strong, we need help!!!

Also, you can always donate to operation gratitude:

Regards,
Babs
GO NAVY!

Babs on November 2, 2006 at 12:23 AM

Thanks Babs. Your link was fine. I just entered a donation under the Navy flag. Hey folks – they have Pay Pal also!!

thedecider on November 2, 2006 at 12:33 AM

My service was nothing

Bryan on November 1, 2006 at 11:06 PM

Bryan,

I am going to have to call BS on this comment.

I know what you mean about service being “peace time stuff”.

The closest I came to combat was arriving a day late for the Khobar Towers attack (it was my building that was destroyed).

I used to think the same way as you and I still do in some respects.

My service was easy compared to those in Vet Nam or Iraq.

However the fact of the matter is I was ready and willing to serve no matter what the outcome.

I got lucky (as did you)in that I served in peacetime (more or less).

Ask any veteran I think they would say, thank you for your service, no matter what hell they may have been thru during their time in service.

F15Mech on November 2, 2006 at 12:54 AM

Babs on November 2, 2006 at 12:23 AM

Since all of the money is going to the same cause I can’t resist…

This morning I saw the Navy so far behind I was thinking about calling the Coast Guard to save them.

That was when my donation would have put Team AF in first place by $1.00 (some grunt placed a donation at the same time).

That said…

Bryan, Michelle, MKH etc you all need to “gitty up” and make sure Team AF does not loose.

F15Mech on November 2, 2006 at 1:08 AM

glad to see that ryan understands it at least.

jummy on November 2, 2006 at 1:08 AM

loose = lose

F15Mech on November 2, 2006 at 1:11 AM

Professor Blather on November 1, 2006 at 11:50 PM

The Left feel this way about our troops because they’re the reason we are the only superpower in the world.

It doesn’t fit with: socialism, multi-culturalism, one-world, peace-and-love, political correctness, egalitarianism, group-hug, global-kumbaya, the U.N.-nihilism, and other unnatural, dictatorial and utopian traits.

Entelechy on November 2, 2006 at 1:13 AM

All Coasties are welcome to donate under the Navy flag. Hey, water,boats…We would also call in the Marines if it weren’t for an obnoxious accouting problem!

Babs on November 2, 2006 at 1:15 AM

I’m sure you’d like to believe these people speak for a majority of liberals, as it would validate that particular aspect of your caricatures of them.

Constantine on November 2, 2006 at 1:38 AM

Constantine

The Left has no use for the US military. Vietnam … spitting on returning vets, labeling them “baby killers”, Kerry’s “Winter Soldier” testimony … that was the Left’s heyday. They LONG for those heady days of the 60′s/70′s.

For Kerry and his ilk..the US military is filled with “losers”

Dems are undeserving of being put in charge of the US military.

Voting “D” on 11/7 is putting a soldier’s life in danger.

Darleen on November 2, 2006 at 1:56 AM

Well, Thanks Babs for getting me off my butt and making me do something worthwhile.

Sorry to disappoint, but this old Army guy donated under the Army flag (despite feeling kind of sorry for the laggards).

Boosted the Army total a little more than I planned because of some sort of PayPal glitch running my donation through twice, but what the heck, it is for a good cause and I haven’t done as much this year as I did last year and the one before.

LegendHasIt on November 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM

Babs on November 2, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Touche Babs

F15Mech on November 2, 2006 at 2:09 AM

Voting “D” on 11/7 is putting a soldier’s life in danger.

Ironic, considering it’s Republicans who are the ones sending soldiers into harm’s way without justification. I can only imagine how many Marines would have died in Nicaragua if Reagan had his way. Thank goodness there was a congress sufficiently full of D’s to prevent that from happening.

Constantine on November 2, 2006 at 2:11 AM

And you’d like to pretend that they don’t so that you don’t look like the asswipe that your soulmates are. This is nothing new on the left side of the fence, certainly not for Kerry.

Pablo on November 2, 2006 at 2:31 AM

Constantine-

Both houses of Congress and both parties voted to approve of the Iraq War -in response to Saddam’s scofflaw attitude toward multiple flouted U.N. resolutions. And concerned about his use of WMD’s against Iran and the Iraqi Kurds.

But, now that the going is getting tough, one group wants to weasel out, pretend we can just pack up and leave, and that this will secure more than a temporary, delusional “peace” during which the enemy regroups, consolidates power, kills our allies in the region who we have deserted, and attack again with greater force.

Good thing their kind weren’t in power in 1864, or 1944.

Islamic jihadists declared open War upon us on 9/11. Iraq simply gave them a new place to attack our soldiers. We can destroy them there, and spare our cities, or flee now and pay later.

Fighting harder and smarter is what we need to do, not turning tail and cringing, as we whimperingly hope that the big, bad militant Muslim terrorists won’t catch us as we run away, run away, run away!

Or don’t you recognize the enemy, or its 1350 year reign of imperialistic terror? Or its ultimate despotic designs?

Wake up and smell the KORAN, man.

We can fight them, now, from a position of our overwhelming strength, or battle them later from a redoubt of diffidence and greater weakness.

I choose strength.

Now.strong>

profitsbeard on November 2, 2006 at 2:33 AM

Typical Donk/leftist who thinks history began yesterday. Go back and read the BIPARTISAN statements from our leaders about the need to remove Saddam because of his violations of the Gulf War cease-fire agreement and UN resolutions. Or how about this anniversary that involved BJ Clinton.

If there was no justification for removing Saddam and bringing the War on Terror to Iraq, then what would satisfy you to justify military action against an enemy?

Mallard T. Drake on November 2, 2006 at 2:37 AM

Constantine on November 2, 2006 at 1:38 AM

Why shouldn’t he believe it. It’s true. The majority of liberals loath and despise the Military. Since 9/11/01, they’ve been afraid to express their heartfelt opinions because they are afraid that people like me would bitchslap them into next Tuesday if the even puckered up their lips to spit on the troops.

But give you liberals time to build up your courage, and just like Vietnam, you’ll be spitting on the troops and calling them “babykillers.”

georgej on November 2, 2006 at 2:39 AM

Islamic jihadists declared open War upon us on 9/11.

I agree with your post, but let me offer this correction. OBL and al-qaeda declared war on the USA in 1998. 9/11 was their first act of war on our soil.

Mallard T. Drake on November 2, 2006 at 2:40 AM

Hey, Wow, I (sorta)agree with ‘constant-teen’ for a change.

While the antics and lack of support from the Democrats do embolden the terrorists and cause a many extra deaths amongst the troops, it is probably fairly true that if it were not for President Bush, and some Republicans, the military would be much less in harm’s way.

If the Democrats were / are ever again in charge, the military will be pretty safe sitting in their forts and bases…. (and maybe running soup kitchens in Haiti… doing ANYTHING but their real jobs.)

Since the terrorists prefer attacking innocent civilians and other ‘soft targets’, when the battle is not taken to them, they would then be free to attack our cities, and kill off our weak, weaselly, defenseless (mostly liberal) soft underbelly of the nation.

Personally, I think that it is better for the nation for the professionals to be in harm’s way than those totally unprepared and incapable… (But what do I know… After all, I’m just a lazy, stupid fool according to Kerry; I spent quite a few years wearing camoflage….. If only I had studied harder and made a success of myself.)

LegendHasIt on November 2, 2006 at 2:45 AM

Speaking of typical… the assumption that everybody who said Saddam was a bad guy was advocating invading and occupying the country.

“The United States is providing support to opposition groups from all sectors of the Iraqi community that could lead to a popularly supported government.”

Did you read that part? Because that’s the substance of the resolution. Not bombing campaigns, not invasion.

Afghanistan is a perfect example. If we’d continued to focus our efforts there, we’d have captured OBL and the Taliban would not be resurging.

Constantine on November 2, 2006 at 3:09 AM

Well, I guess the AP is part of the vast Right Wing Conspiracy, since they’ve gotten hold of proof that Kerry’s “botched joke” is an OLD joke as far as he’s concerned.

Kerry’s ’72 Army comments mirror latest
During a Vietnam-era run for Congress three decades ago, John Kerry said he opposed a volunteer Army because it would be dominated by the underprivileged, be less accountable and be more prone to “the perpetuation of war crimes.”

…The Associated Press was alerted to the historical comments by a former law enforcement official who monitored 1970s anti-war activities

“I am convinced a volunteer army would be an army of the poor and the black and the brown,” Kerry wrote. “We must not repeat the travesty of the inequities present during Vietnam. I also fear having a professional army that views the perpetuation of war crimes as simply ‘doing its job.’

That guy’s a peach.

Pit.

tree hugging sister on November 2, 2006 at 4:49 AM

Alan Colmes rewrites history in regards to Kerry’s testimony to the Senate in 1971… I know this is long, but I think it is good to see some more of what he had to say to get the real meaning

I am not here as John Kerry. I am here as one member of the group of 1,000 which is a small representation of a very much larger group of veterans Richard Nixons in this country, and were it possible for all of them to sit at this table they would be here and have the same kind of testimony….
I would like to talk, representing all those veteransRichard Nixons, and say that several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veteransRichard Nixons testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command….

TheyRichard Nixons told the stories at times theyRichard Nixons had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

We call this investigation the “Winter Soldier Investigation.” The term “Winter Soldier” is a play on words of Thomas Paine in 1776 when he spoke of the Sunshine Patriot and summertime soldiers who deserted at Valley Forge because the going was rough.

We who have come here to Washington have come here because we feel we have to be winter soldiers now. We could come back to this country; we could be quiet; we could hold our silence; we could not tell what went on in Vietnam, but we feel because of what threatens this countryRichard Nixon, the fact that the crimes threaten it, not reds, and not redcoats but the crimes which weRichard Nixons are committing that threaten it, that we have to speak out.
…In our opinion, and from our experience, there is nothing in South Vietnam, nothing which could happen that realistically threatens the United States of America. And to attempt to justify the loss of one AmericanRichard Nixon life in Vietnam, Cambodia, or Laos by linking such loss to the preservation of freedomRichard Nixons, which those misfitsRichard Nixons supposedly abuse, is to us the height of criminal hypocrisy, and it is that kind of hypocrisy which we feel has torn this countryRichard Nixon apart….
We found that not only was it a civil war, an effort by a people who had for years been seeking their liberation from any colonialRichard Nixon influence whatsoever, but also we found that the Vietnamese whom we had enthusiastically molded after our own imageRichard Nixons were hard put to take up the fight against the threat we were supposedly saving them from.

We found most people didn’t even know the difference between communism and democracyRichard Nixons. They only wanted to work in rice paddies without helicoptersRichard Nixons strafing them and bombs with napalmRichard Nixons burning their villages and tearing their country apart. They wanted everything to do with the war, particularly with this foreign presence of the United States of AmericaRichard Nixons, to leave them alone on peace, and they practiced the art of survival by siding with whichever military forceRichard Nixons was present at a particular time, be it Vietcong, North Vietnamese, or AmericanRichard Nixons.

We found also that all too often American menRichard Nixons were dying in those rice paddies for want of support from their allies. We saw first hand how money from American taxesRichard Nixons was used for a corrupt dictatorial regimeRichard Nixons. We saw that many people in this country had a one-sided idea of who was kept free by our flagRichard Nixons, as blacks provided the highest percentage of casualties. We saw Vietnam ravaged equally by bombsRichard Nixons as well as by search and destroyRichard Nixons missions, as well as by Vietcong terrorism, and yet we listened while this countryRichard Nixon tried to blame all of the havoc on the Viet Cong.

WeRichard Nixon rationalized destroying villages in order to save them. We saw AmericaRichard Nixon lose her sense of morality as sheRichard Nixon accepted very coolly a My Lai and refused to give up the image of American soldiersRichard Nixons who hand out chocolate bars and chewing gum.

We learned the meaning of free fire zones, shooting anything that moves, and we watched while AmericaRichard Nixon placed a cheapness on the lives of orientals.

We watched the U.S.Richard Nixon falsification of body counts, in fact the glorification of body counts. We listened while month after month we were told the back of the enemy was about to break. We fought using weapons against “oriental human beings,” with quotation marks around that. We fought using weapons against those people which I do not believe this countryRichard Nixon would dream of using were we fighting in the European theater or let us say a non-third-world people theater, and so we watched while men charged up hills because a generalRichard Nixon said that hill has to be taken, and after losing one platoonRichard Nixon or two platoonsRichard Nixons they marched away to leave the high for the reoccupation by the North Vietnamese because we watched pride allow the most unimportant of battles to be blown into extravaganzas, because we couldn’t lose, and we couldn’t retreat, and because it didn’t matter how many AmericanRichard Nixon bodies were lost to prove that point. And so there were Hamburger Hills and Khe Sanhs and Hill 881′s and Fire Base 6′s and so many others.

Gwillie on November 2, 2006 at 4:50 AM

Can you imagine? If not for a very small percentage of voters, that poor excuse for for a Senator might be the Commander-in-Chief today! Nearly 50% of the voters think he would make a good president? This is scary stuff!!

LonelyMassRepublican on November 2, 2006 at 5:44 AM

Hey Decider – You bet!

Cut and paste on this, I don’t seem to know how to do a hot link…

Also, you can always donate to operation gratitude:

Regards,
Babs
GO NAVY!

Babs on November 2, 2006 at 12:23 AM

Pleaase donate under the Navy flag, we are trailing by a big margin..

Viper1 on November 2, 2006 at 6:07 AM

Wow…who’d a thunk there were so many USAF folks around (27 years combined active/reserve, myself).

It amazes me how the lefties look at the military, but I guess it shouldn’t. I worked at the Pentagon for a while as a contractor (in the IT business), and my favorite targets for recruiting were all those bright, young Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and Marines.

A lefty would be shocked at how many GIs turned down the big money we offered so they could continue on with the military, but a vet wouldn’t be surprised at all.

flipflop on November 2, 2006 at 8:04 AM

Pardon me while I parse. When Kerry says “I’m sorry you were offended.” That is NOT an apology. He is NOT saying, “I’m sorry I was offensive.” That is in no way “I’m sorry I was being an arrogant asshole.”

seejanemom on November 2, 2006 at 8:08 AM

How many Marines died fighting all over Europe against an enemy that had nothing to do with Pearl Harbor?

We missed him in Bora Bora, from there all evidence points to Pakistan having OBL. Should we invade them? What do you suggest we do with Pakistan? Taliban..were we going to capture all of them? Is that even possible? Or were we going to take away their playground and let them know that they are not welcome on any playing field? NATO forces have been overseeing the battlefield..are they not up to the task?

Pam on November 2, 2006 at 8:34 AM

Bottom line:

Has anyone ever seen a lib/democrat at the airport greeting and applauding our troops as they return home?

**crickets**

-FFOG

Fogpig on November 2, 2006 at 8:41 AM

Ya beat me to it Pam. Libs don’t understand the complexities of this war. If we went into Pakistan, Mushy might get overthrown and then the Talipakiban has control of Pakistan’s nukes. DUH.

By the way, Marines mostly fought in the Pacific, but your point is well taken. Japan hit us at Pearl, yet we went to work in Europe. A differnt theater of SAME war. Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, even N. Korea, it’s all the same war.

No, not ALL libs and Dems hate the military, just the far leftwing loonies who’ve taken over control of their party. They’ve become the Neville Chamberlains of the 21st century. Libs, we’re at war whether you wanna believe it or not. Matter a fact the enemy WANTS you to NOT believe it, that makes it easier to kill the rest of us.

So, lefties, you must choose: Be Neville Chamberlain or Winston Churchill. There is no third choice.

Tony737 on November 2, 2006 at 8:50 AM

I am a big fan of PBR – Professional Bull Riding – can’t stomach watching the thugs and criminals that have infested the NBA, NFL and MLB. I was attracted to the events because the riders wear their hat straight, love our country, are respectful and polite and most are good Christians (by the way I am Jewish). More important – it is great fun! Several weeks ago I went to an event in Reading PA. Let me share some of the events. Six recently returned soldiers were individually introduced before the riders intros began. The intro included their specific service accomplishments! As the 45 bull riders were introduced to the sellout crowd they individually shook the “hero’s” hands and thanked them for their service. An Army Color Guard marched front and center for the national anthem. A public prayer was said for our troops and President Bush. Then – to my astonishment 20 -30 new recruits were introduced and publicly took their oath of service followed by a standing ovation from the fans. Somehow I cannot imagine any of this at a NBA NFL or MLB game. Half of the crowd would be offended and surely the ACLU would take immediate action!

When the lefties say they support our troops but not the mission it is a bold face lie. If they had any understanding of the honor and dedication that exists in the military they would understand that slandering the President – Commander in Chief – is a slap in the face of our soldiers. So if Kerry’s Freudian slip was really a joke about President Bush he still owes our troops an apology.

Fact is they have the same elitist attitude about Blacks and small town America. Tuesday night on the O’Reilley show one of the Dem talking heads slipped and basically said the same thing as Kerry. “We all know people of lower income enlist because….” They really think that all people from small town USA and the south are unsophisticated, uneducated and incapable of understanding the higher world they live in. Hey Ms Clift – take the freakin subway to Alabama.

iam7545 on November 2, 2006 at 9:14 AM

liberty on November 1, 2006 at 11:04 PM

Hey, liberty, former Missle Facilities Specialist (PMT) here… I’ll bet your wifes’ colleagues really hated what weapons system you worked on.

dalewalt on November 2, 2006 at 9:26 AM

‘Alls Quiet on the Western Front’
‘Once an Eagle’
‘Catch 22′

These are how our educators introduce war and the military life to our youth.

You would never find
‘The Passing of the Night’
‘The Killer Angels’ or
‘The Fleet the Gods Forgot’

on their classroom reading lists.

When you walk into Barnes and Noble, Borders, Walden’s….the first table inside the door displays all the hit jobs of the left…buy me…buy me…buy me….
If you want a different view…you have to go to the back corner and search the rack.

“Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted.” —–LENIN

Limerick on November 2, 2006 at 9:36 AM

dalewalt on November 2, 2006 at 9:26 AM

I was at Grand Forks AFB from 1986-1990, and yes, when they found out I operated a nuclear weapon system, I got cold looks of disdain. One woman, who was very pleasant to me just before I told her what I did , swore at me and walked away. That was an eye-opener.

liberty on November 2, 2006 at 9:55 AM

The left is a train wreck. They are stupid, gullable, misguided, and malignant. Also, there are a lot of them. What a p*ss poor testament to the United States.

We are loosing or country to fools.

Shmo on November 2, 2006 at 10:17 AM

Of course you missed the point. Even in 1998, Clinton was in favor or removing Saddam. After 9/11 the situation was ratcheted up and a new response was required. (Save your “Saddam didn’t have anything to do with 9/11″ reply. I didn’t say that.) And there was BIPARTISAN support to have Saddam removed by military means as a part of the War on Terror. Your original argument that Republicans are the ones send our troops in to harm’s way is fallacious. Republicans are the ones who will make sure the job gets done, but there was Donk and Republican support for the invasion of Iraq.

Mallard T. Drake on November 2, 2006 at 10:36 AM

So if soldiers are drafted they are victims, but if they volunteer they are evil mercenaries. Absolutely no room for honor and character in left wing thinking.

Rodney Dangerfield could run for a mile with this shit. Small wonder that soldiers don’t vote Democrat.

infidel4life on November 2, 2006 at 10:37 AM

Of course the lefties hate the military. The military stands for positive things that the Left doesn’t believe in. Honor. Courage. Steadfastness. Determination. Perseverance. Talent. Resourcefulness. And many more.

Whereas the Left stands for whining, emotional, illogical, self absorption. You know, like little children who never grew up.

SunSword on November 2, 2006 at 10:47 AM

BRYAN , I SALUTE YOU / and all who have served, and all who serve today.

Thanks for keeping my home, my land, my country and my family SAFE!

shooter on November 2, 2006 at 11:47 AM

So, they don’t support a volunteer Military and they don’t support the draft. I am sure they would be happy if we just disarmed. These people are nuts

An old E5 from ’67

BobK on November 2, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Add me to the list of USAF vets.

My father served from 1960-1988. He held a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering. He served because he felt it was a duty–turning down taking over the family business and a pay cut in order to serve. He served in Nam.

I served from 1988-1995. My father served as the commissioning officer and pinned my butter bars on. He got my first Silver dollar for being the first person I saluted. I graduated with a degree in Computer Science and Mechanical Eng. Later got my Master’s in Software Engineering. I served in the first Gulf War and in 23 humanitarian relief missions during my career.

My father and I together pinned the bars on my brother in 1994 and he just got out this past March due to medical retirement. He was a B-52 pilot and graduated with a degree in EE and a Master’s in Physics.

All of us turned down lucrative careers in order to do what we felt was a calling. For 46 years my family served continuously in service to this great country.

In 18 months my son will graduate with a degree in Mathematics from MIT. My father, myself and I will be there to pin his bars on.

We were not poor or rich.

We are not stupid.

Kerry and the rest of the elitist left wing dirtbags who have never truly accomplished anything or sacrificed anything and somehow think they qualify to look down on me can bite me.

I don’t hate them. I don’t pity them.

They aren’t worthy for me to waste one more single moment caring what they think, say, or do. they haven’t earned the right for me to care about them one way or the other.

Faith1 on November 2, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Not only are they incapable of understanding things like honor and character, they refuse to believe that they even exist. Like someone else said, they hate us for the things they lack in themselves. Plus they hate us for our moral certitude–apparently there’s just not enough “nuance” in defending ourselves against people who are actively trying to kill us.

As long as you keep your thinking all mushy, you never have to actually do anything about anything. You can be like Constantine, who’s in essence saying (shrilly) “Just because we said we wanted regime change in Iraq doesn’t mean that we actually intended to do anything about it!” Can anyone read this passage and tell me that isn’t the gist of it?

Oh yeah, the “substance” of the resolution was that we were going to talk a lot and not do jack shit. Because that’s what “working with opposition groups” means. It’s a codeword that liberals love because it sounds like doing something without actually doing anything. Unless one of those “opposition groups” had an army in its back pocket, it wasn’t going to remove Saddam from power. (He was a dictator, and dictators have this thing about liking to be in charge. Maybe he wasn’t hugged enough as a child, I don’t know.) This is why the U.N. is so utterly worthless these days, because aside from John Bolton no one there has a f*cking spine, and all they do is pass meaningless resolutions that no one even pretends have any substance.

The thing is, far as Iraq goes (or Afghanistan, or anything else in the War on Terror), it’s not like liberals were going to be doing any of the heavy lifting anyway. I think most of us in the military would be perfectly happy if they just got out of the way and let us get the job done, instead of obstructing us every step of the way. But of course, once all’s said and done, they’ll do everything they can to take credit for it. Worthless wastes of oxygen.

ReubenJCogburn on November 2, 2006 at 1:08 PM

Thank you Faith1, you and your family.

Libs don’t get it, we join the service hopin’ we never hafta fire a shot, we are there to deter. Nobody hates war as much as those who do the fighting, but when our country is attacked, or in danger of being attacked WE KICK ASS so that those who can’t fight won’t have to. Why is that so hard for libs to understand? Why do they think we hope and pray for a chance to kill somebody? We’d much rather win a war the way we beat the Soviets, without shootin’ any of ‘em. But when you attack us or threaten to attack us we will ENJOY destroying your meager little army, air force and navy and we’ll cheer when we watch live footage of your million dollar tanks being knocked out by our thousand dollar bombs.

Tony737 on November 2, 2006 at 2:33 PM

I graduated from high school in 1980 and at that time decided that the military wasn’t for me. After all remember who the president was and the sad state of the military also. Botched hostage rescue attempt, rampant drug use, ships and planes unable to perform their missions due to lack of money, parts and skilled operators.
Then President Reagan takes over, money that had been diverted from the military to “social” programs by the Donks, goes back to the military and builds it back up. I decided in 1988 to join the Navy to get money to finish my education, see the world, and serve my country.
I was in Desert Storm, and Iraqi Freedom, as well as spending 3/4s of my time floating around the Gulf keeping an eye on Saddam. Now that I’m closing in on my 20 yr mark and getting ready to retire, I’m trying to finish my BS in Domestic Security Mgmt. so that I can keep on keeping my country safe from those that the Left embrace.

ic1redeye on November 2, 2006 at 3:37 PM