Video: New RNC ad calls on Kerry to apologize

posted at 10:48 am on November 1, 2006 by Allahpundit

Note to the RNC: stop coding your embedded ads to auto-start. Update: Fixed!

They’ve got an online petition going, too.

Kerry hasn’t yet released the full video or transcript of his speech at the Angelides event so it’s still unclear if he was referring to the troops or to Bush. More than one conservative commentator believes it was the latter, with true believers reacting predictably at their willingness to say so.

See-Dub and I had a mini-debate the other day about when and whether political ends should ever justify the means. This could turn out to be another test case. Waffles has a long history of smearing the troops and his nutroots-on-steroids performance yesterday was repulsive, so my sympathy for him if he’s been misconstrued will be decidedly tepid. But we shouldn’t push stuff if we know it’s untrue. If in fact it is untrue — which Kerry, suspiciously, refuses to determine by simply releasing the full text of the speech.

Harold Ford called on him to apologize within the past few hours, so whether it’s true or not is almost beside the point now. It’s an issue, and smart pols will use it to their advantage. Harold Ford: smart pol. Most of the time, anyway. Not always, and not lately.

Here’s video of another (usually) smart pol on the campaign trail yesterday.

Update: I assume everyone’s seen it on Drudge, but here’s the vid of Don Imus asking Kerry this morning to please go away.

Comments

He’s just not acting like someone who simply flubbed a line. Instead, he’s trying to flee the police in a white Ford Bronco.

frankj on November 1, 2006 at 10:53 AM

All hail the next Commander In Chief.

infidel on November 1, 2006 at 10:57 AM

John Kerry’s College Education – Worthless!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on November 1, 2006 at 10:58 AM

Just one succinct comment:

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha.

I just want to know when the Rovian Secret Police kidnapped John Kerry and had him replaced with the Republi-Robot 3000, programmed to snatch Democrat defeat from the jaws of victory? Very sneaky, Mr. Rove.

Watching how Democrats treat John Kerry starting next Wednesday is going to be truly entertaining …

Professor Blather on November 1, 2006 at 11:00 AM

When do we get a vote for Congressional censure?

Terp Mole on November 1, 2006 at 11:03 AM

His education must be courtesy of the Howard Dean School of ‘Yeeeeeeaaaarrrrgggghhhh’.

Pity poor John. I wonder how it feels to know that your hopes of attaining the presidency (even if ridiculously tenuous) were completely annihilated with one stupid, condescending remark. A remark that will encapsulate and synopsize your entire life and reduce it to a footnote in the ‘losers and also-ran’ list of American political history.

Siddown and STFU John. You’re done.

heldmyw on November 1, 2006 at 11:04 AM

Allah, would you believe him if he did release it? I wouldn’t. What proof would we have that they didn’t just type it up like an hour ago?

RightWinged on November 1, 2006 at 11:04 AM

That was no joke . . . did anybody see him smile. Kerry is an egocentric, narcissist that knew exactly what he was saying and he meant it. The two-bit elitist, gigolo is beyond contempt.

rplat on November 1, 2006 at 11:10 AM

Love the Ad. I think John Kerry is hilarious. He is like Joe Pesci trying to get McCauley Culkin in those Home Alone Movies. When it comes to running a campaign, he keeps running into paint cans with his face and slipping on micro-minis.

BelchSpeak on November 1, 2006 at 11:10 AM

Senator Kerry’s Post-Collegiate Path To Success:

1) Marry a rich broad

2) Divorce, Rinse, and repeat as necessary

I think there was a scripted joke in there somewhere, and Kerry blew it in the worst possible way. His remark was a freudian slip not unlike the Vegas weather guy that crapped himself as he gave the MLK weekend forecast.

As far as the Machiavellian implications go, this was self-inflicted, and Kerry isn’t backing down from it, so it’s open season.

The Dem silence after the fact is the political equivalent of Grady Little not pulling Pedro in game 7, up two and with Matsui coming up.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 1, 2006 at 11:28 AM

Hehe, AP you didn’t need to go to another blog site to find outrage at the hint of suggesting Kerry might not have been targeting the troops with that comment.

Just look for my posts and what follows. ;)

All I want is the transcript to put the statement in context. As I stated in the other thread, it certainly wouldn’t come as a surprise if he was talking about the troops given his history towards them. I just think to be fair we need to see what was said prior to that particular comment.

Benaiah on November 1, 2006 at 11:33 AM

Ok. I’m kind new to Hotair. It appears that we call him “Waffles”. I have one honest and sincere question, why?

americanpundit on November 1, 2006 at 11:42 AM

I wonder, if the elections are close, if the democrats will fight to keep the military absentee ballots from being counted a la Florida 2000.

I predict they will.

SouthernGent on November 1, 2006 at 11:44 AM

americanpundit on November 1, 2006 at 11:42 AM

Because he’s a Waffler.

RightWinged on November 1, 2006 at 11:44 AM

I’m pretty sure we should apply the Trent Lott standard here. When Trent Lott made his little comment about how Strom Thurmond would have been a great President, I think we all understand that he was making a joke about a friend and colleague of his, “Gosh, Strom, you would’ve been a great leader of the free world.” Really, that’s all it was – joke.

Except that it revealed what we all deep down believe about Republicans (southerners especially) – that they’re racist. So it doesn’t matter that it was just a silly joke meant to aggrandize Strom, because it was also a comment that betrayed Lott’s racial insensitivity and desire for the halcyon days of segregation.

As for Kerry, I think that if we’re all honest with ourselves, we are DEAD CERTAIN that he meant to make a joke on Bush and misspoke (a petulant and stupid joke, but what more would you expect?). But in misspeaking, he revealed what we all deep down believe about Democrats – that they hold the all-volunteer military in absolute contempt.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but did anyone here see Farenheit 9/11? If you did, you’ll know one of the themes was that the Pentagon targets people from impoverished backgrounds and lower education because they’re easier to dupe with the patriotism-duty-to-your-country mythology. Kerry’s comment betrayed that very sentiment, regardless of whether or not he meant to goof on Bush.

In other words, yes, the ends always justify the means. We may not say it, but we always act like it. So let’s just be up front this time and hammer Kerry to the wall. That unpatriotic douche.

Enrique on November 1, 2006 at 11:45 AM

But we shouldn’t push stuff if we know it’s untrue.

Agreed. When I read his comments yesterday morning, I felt they may have been about Bush, and stated so here.

However, after watching the viseo several times, and seeing zero indication in his action or expression that this was intened as comic, I have decided otherwise. His expression is dour.

It was reported that there were gasps as well as chuckles from the audience (I don’t have the link handy) following the comments. Kerry, as a former presidential candidate, is masterful at reading audience reaction. If he had meant these comments in another way, he would have clarified them on the spot.

His press conference remarks don’t even do a very good job of clarifiying what he claims he intended to say and contain further remarks for which he needs to apologize — not to mention another flip-flop by stating the troops deserve a winning stategy after having previously stated they should withdrawn by the end of the year.

Full text of his prepared remarks, at this point, would be suspect. How can it be verified that they are authentic?

db on November 1, 2006 at 11:46 AM

rplat on November 1, 2006 at 11:10 AM

I’m not the only one seeing him smirk on the tv yesterday. I don’t see it anymore, it seems to be cut out at the very end of his speech, but he smirks after his comments. He is such an Ahola and uppitty as well. Like we all knew it was a joke, be real !!

bones47 on November 1, 2006 at 11:46 AM

I don’t see why there is a need to be fair, analytical or delve into the context of his speech.

It’s John Kerry.

fogw on November 1, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Sorry RightWinged, I didn’t see your comment before I posted.

The news story I mentioned is:
here

db on November 1, 2006 at 11:56 AM

The first time I heard Kerry’s comments I was pretty sure they were directed at Bush. But now it’s a moot point. Lucky for us this controversy has taken on a life of its own; in part because of all the blog coverage but also because JFK has proven time and time again to be a flat out liar. Thanks John, the Republicans couldn’t have purchased this much good PR.

BuckLEA on November 1, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Anybody who’s lived in MA for the last 40 years can tell you, unequivocally, he said what he meant and meant what he said. Do you think that’s the first time that admonition has been given by people like Kerry? I’ve heard it in one form or another a million times! It dates back to Nam, where many of those who could get into college could get deferred and those who couldn’t got drafted. Heck, now that I think about it, it’s one of the early scenes in Platoon:

KING: How the f– you get over here man, you look like you educated …

CHRIS: I volunteered.

KING: You WHAT? Say ‘gain.

CHRIS: Yeah, I dropped out of college and told ‘em I wanted
infantry, combat, and Nam …

CRAWFORD: You volunteered for this s– man?

KING: You a crazy f–, givin’ up college man.

CHRIS: Didn’t make much sense. Wasn’t learning anything And why should just the poor kids go to the war – and the college kids get away with it.

KING: What we got here a crusader?

CRAWFORD: Sounds like it.

KING: Sheeit, gotta be rich in the first place to think like dat. Everybody know the poor always being f– by the rich. Always have, always will.

There’s a 35+ year track record – The Left thinks only poor losers get stuck in the military because they have no other options. That’s why the military is heavily tilted towards the Right – people in the Left don’t join! For Cripes sake, Rengal used the “only poor and stupid” logic to advocate for the draft back in 04. Ben Stein, used a similar argument lately when he lamented the fact that America’s best and brightest no longer serve like they did in WWII. If you stop for a second and think about it you’ll realize you hear this argument all the time in different shades of gray from the Left.

You can turn off your common sense and your intellectual honesty if you’d like but I’ve seen this act before. It’s a repeat that plays often.

TheBigOldDog on November 1, 2006 at 12:15 PM

For the record, here’s the link to the transcript for Platoon.

TheBigOldDog on November 1, 2006 at 12:18 PM

I had my doubts as to whether Kerry was insulting the troops or the president the first time I saw the clip. If he had apologized for his lack of clarity and any inadvertent offense he gave, it would have ended this controversy.

I believe people can have differing opinions as to the meaning of Kerry’s remarks. What’s bothered me this morning is the reaction of conservatives who disagree with the prevailing view – condescension rarely works as a debating tactic, but I’ve seen it from writers at NRO and other bloggers who are willing to insult their fellow conservatives in a bid to be seen as “above the fray.”

It’s as unnecessary as it is uncivil.

Slublog on November 1, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Rightwinged, Thanks.

americanpundit on November 1, 2006 at 12:28 PM

I’ve looked at this clip and the situation in every way, and I can’t possibly believe that he meant this as a joke directed towards Bush. There is nothing in his tone or body language to suggest that this is a joke. Now, Kerry claims that the quote was taken out of context. If this is true, Kerry, then release the transcript so we can decide for ourselves. The very fact that he has not released the full transcript leads me to believe that he is in spin-mode and is trying to do some serious CYA.

pullingmyhairout on November 1, 2006 at 12:30 PM

But how can we know it’s untrue at this point? We know how the words came out, and what they mean at face value. When given a chance to clarify, Kerry’s defiant attitude made his “botched-joke” defense look lame, when a short apology without the fireworks would have thrown water on this fire. And when you couple his statement with his past history (something he should have thought about before responding the way he did), it only casts his remarks in an even worse light. Now, as I understand it, he won’t release the transcript or the full video of the event, which raises the question in people’s minds whether or not he has something to hide.

In other words, even if the accusations of slandering the troops are not true, Kerry has effectively made them true by his incredibly bad response to the issue, which is made even worse in the context of his past statements regarding the military. It would be both stupid and politically negligent to not exploit such an incredible gaffe, particularly in an election that is this important.

AP, I read the debate between yourself and See-Dub, and I thought he raised a great point, and one that illuminates why I went so hard at you and Michelle last Friday on the issue of Allen/Smutgate. It’s all fine and dandy to view things from the perspective of a pundit, which is what you two are, but actual politicians have a different game with different rules. If a politician tries to play by the rules of punditry, they won’t be a politician for very long. Pundits don’t have to face the electorate, so in judging those who do, you should at least try to put yourself in their shoes before you judge.

thirteen28 on November 1, 2006 at 12:31 PM

It’s as unnecessary as it is uncivil.

Slublog on November 1, 2006 at 12:20 PM

(my emphasis).

Bullseye, slublog.

thirteen28 on November 1, 2006 at 12:36 PM

Use the noodle, people.

- 1971: spends 9 weeks in Nam and comes back and lies to congress about murder, torture (real torture, not panties-on-your-head torture), etc. committed by his “brothers in arms.”

- 2004: poses as Commander in Chief, while ripping on the Commander in Chief.

- 2005: declares on national television that U.S. soldiers are “terrorizing kids, children (?), uh … uh … women … Iraqis should be doing this, not us.”

- 2006: stay in school or you get stuck in Iraq.

You can play semantic games and pretend that what he meant to say is that Bush is stupid. Clearly, he thinks that, but clearly he also thinks that our volunteer soldiers are too stupid do avoid military action, also.

This is a strong theme in the Democrat party, and to deny that is just silly. They have an entire mechanism for protesting the presence of military recruiters at high schools. Does anyone in this “fairness” thread believe that these people are Republicans, or even non-partisan?

Of course not. Get your panties off your head and trust your own eyes and ears, not some Kerry-eruption spinmeister.

Jaibones on November 1, 2006 at 12:38 PM

I’m really shocked that a lot of you think he may have been talking about the President… What evidence is there for that? Let’s see, we’ve heard similar comments from the left for years. We know the left believes that the military is a just a bunch of uneducated idiots, this isn’t something new. Kerry has a history of bashing the troops since Vietnam, right up to saying they terrorize women and children. Why does anyone give him any benefit of any doubt for even a fraction of a second? Not to mention the fact that he couldn’t have been knocking Bush’s grades, because Bush did better than him at Yale!

And if he really just meant it to be about Bush, he’d have gone back, watched the tape, said “oops, I fu**ed up!”, then he would have come out and said “I’m not going to sink to the level of these Republican smear artists… I do however concede that my comments weren’t clear at all and I apologize to any of the troops or veterans who may have thought I was insulting them. I believe they are the smartest and bravest military we’ve ever had, etc.” The fact that this is all politics to him only reaffirms the obvious fact, that this was troop bashing, not Bush bashing.

Note in his Bush bashing conference that he attempted to brag about his own war record and his supposed support of troops over and over, but I don’t recall him outright complimenting them. Maybe he did, but it was not the key point, which it should have been. He should have repeatdly praised them, but the problem is he truly believes they are a bunch of pathetic idiots.

Again, I just can’t believe any of you are buying his bullsh**.

RightWinged on November 1, 2006 at 12:40 PM

-when you put the comments in the context of the speech it could be interprted as remarks about the President.

-If you put the comments in the context of his life .. then they are definatley about the troops.

DarianCounts on November 1, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Steve Gardner’s known him from way back when and he can’t figure him out either. See his latest comments here.

bdfaith on November 1, 2006 at 12:47 PM

I love the eye rolls from Imus when Kerry starts talking. I can just imagine what’s going through his mind. But Don Imus, being Imus, is just too polite to say what is really on his mind. (/sarcasm off) Or too disgusted.

Dave in W-S on November 1, 2006 at 12:48 PM

The military vote is locked.

Locked.

Niko on November 1, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Imus telling Kerry to shut up – classic example of the pot calling the kettle black.

infidel4life on November 1, 2006 at 1:00 PM

AP:

I think the bigger issue now is not whether or not his statement was a misconstrued, botched joke. The issue is why he went ballistic and absolutely refused to apologize for his statement, whether he meant what he said or not. The fact remains that he did in fact say something horrible.

Just for the record, I have heard the slightly longer version of this faux pas and it did not seem to me that he was talking about Bush. And I too saw the smirk. Also, a few in the audience chuckled, but more gasped.

IrishEi on November 1, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Regarding the transcript, doesn’t anyone have the tape from the TV station? Can’t that simply be transcribed?

Grantman on November 1, 2006 at 1:06 PM

Or, better, yet: posted.

db on November 1, 2006 at 1:14 PM

Agreed. I think his completely defensive response lends credence to the charge that he did indeed mean what he said, and only later realized that he had inadvertantly allowed everybody to see what he really thinks of our troops – which is consistent with the other times he’s offered his opinion on our troops. He’s certainly not deserving of getting the benefit of the doubt.

thirteen28 on November 1, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Frack the apology nonsense; even if he made an apology, it’d be as false as everything else he’s said. He should resign.

Vic on November 1, 2006 at 1:36 PM

For those who may be interested, you can listen to a podcast of last night’s John Ziegler show on KFI in L.A., where he relates the detailed play-by-play of how the story first broke the previous night. You have to register to listen but it’s free. I found it fascinating, the MSM ain’t got nothin’ on talk radio and the internet.

infidel4life on November 1, 2006 at 1:39 PM

I think Kerry should go to Iraq. The troops there might be able to find a way to fix his problem.

Well, I don’t think that sort of comment is helpful.

Slublog on November 1, 2006 at 1:42 PM

if you’re on the fence about this, here’s a longer clip, wherein kerry verbally signifies that he is changing course from whatever he was speaking of prior…

“we’re here to talk about education, but i want to say something before…:”

so, no. even if he was making a bush joke just seconds before, it wasn’t what he was talking about when he said, “or else YOU get stuck in iraq”

jummy on November 1, 2006 at 1:50 PM

And the distancing has begun. According to the Drudge, the Democrat running in Iowa has asked Kerry not to help him out. Will Bob Casey follow suit, I wonder.

My cousin is in Iraq, and he’s way smarter than Kerry.

bookwurm322 on November 1, 2006 at 1:56 PM

I think the idea is to get the transcript made prior to the speech -the one he used to prepare before going on stage. That would indicate what he intended to say and answer the question about wether or not it was simply a botched delivery.

taznar on November 1, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Maybe we can put the mythical Democrat view of today’s military (uneducated, brutal, poor, soon to be tommorow’s homeless social problem) to rest once and for all.

As a 46 year old, bachelor degreed, 6 figure salary, father of 3 (2 in College), Naval Reservist who could be mobilized and sent to Iraq at anytime – I’d say it’s about damn time.

moc23 on November 1, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Will Bob Casey follow suit, I wonder

My cousin is in Iraq, and he’s way smarter than Kerry.

bookwurm322 on November 1, 2006 at 1:56 PM

Wonder no more.

thirteen28 on November 1, 2006 at 2:44 PM

RightWinged,

Great comments. I could not agree more. Why would anyone take the word of a Kerry aid on this issue, or any other for that matter? There is only one reason for them to delay the release of the full speech: to tweak it.

Pay no attention to so-called conservatives afflicted with Victory Derangement Syndrome or VDS.

Cary on November 1, 2006 at 3:56 PM

…good…he’s in the right party, then….

Puritan1648 on November 1, 2006 at 3:57 PM

…Kerry’s record, and those of some of the Supreme Soviet of the Democratic Party, would not stand the scrutiny. Their credentials for members of the hate-America-Left are secure…their credentials as misunderstood patriots are less so….

Puritan1648 on November 1, 2006 at 4:03 PM

“”John Kerry is not only a great leader for the Democratic party and a great U.S. senator, but he’s a patriot,” Casey said after a morning political rally in Allentown. “He said he botched a joke and I think that is the beginning and the end of it. He was talking about the president and I think he has every right to criticize this president.”

That’s why I voted for Santorum. I wish I had been home to be there.

bookwurm322 on November 1, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Don’t have him apologize, force him to campaign for his fellow Democrats. He must stand and fight for what he believes in…Don’t back down Kerry, we are behind you.

right2bright on November 1, 2006 at 6:30 PM

right2bright on November 1, 2006 at 6:30 PM

John Kerry – say what you mean, mean what you say. You are the wind beneath the wings of all those you campaign for.

You are the RNC’s greatest weapon!

Emmett J. on November 1, 2006 at 9:36 PM