Video: Kerry refuses to apologize for insulting American troops

posted at 3:21 pm on October 31, 2006 by Ian

Sen. John Kerry held a press conference moments ago to address a controversial remark he made implying those who are uneducated serve in the military and get stuck in Iraq. Kerry made it “crystal clear” that he apologizes to no one, adding his remarks were a “botched joke” about the President, not the troops.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Botched Joke – hmmm that sums up Sen. Kerry

garetjax on October 31, 2006 at 3:23 PM

So history will show that a “botched joke” took down the Democrats in 2006 – their only hope for ever regaining power.

Gregor on October 31, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Speaking of botched jokes, it’s John Kerry.

Jenjis Khan approved of this message.

ReubenJCogburn on October 31, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Great minds think alike, and all that…

ReubenJCogburn on October 31, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Kerry lies constantly and is a phony of the nth degree. He hasn’t just angered the GOP, he’s angered every one of us low intellect losers that had nothing better to do with the majority of our lives but to serve our country. Kerry is pure elitist pond scum.

rplat on October 31, 2006 at 3:26 PM

Can’t he at least apologize to all botched jokes. He’s giving them a bad name.

GPE on October 31, 2006 at 3:26 PM

Let me make this crystal clear – Im John Kerry, if I make a mistake its someone elses fault.

infidel on October 31, 2006 at 3:28 PM

Amazing lack of political instinct.

He could have dampened this fire with a very simple statement: “I realize that my remarks could have been interpreted as a criticism of our brave men and women now serving in Iraq. That was not what I intended to say, and I apologize if anyone was offended by my lack of clarity…” He could then go into a Bush-bash.

Instead we get that.

Slublog on October 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM

What a moron.

GoodBoy on October 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Kerry knows he screwed up and has been busted for this idiotic comment, but he won’t apologize. He thinks he’s too good to apologize; so superior in intellect and political instincts. What a sad excuse for a human being, and to think, scum like him rise to such lofty heights in our government.

liberty on October 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM

This guy is such an ass.

slapnuts on October 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Kerry looks as though he has had a facelift. Something is very different about his tired old face. Did anyone else notice this?

bopbottle on October 31, 2006 at 3:31 PM

When will Kerry be sued for slander and defamation of character?

infidel on October 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM

Botched joke my ass. This excuse is even more laughable considering Bush has an M.B.A. Kerry, come correct, you elitist d-bag.

Metro on October 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM

I just want to know how Karl Rove got Kerry to say that..maybe the DNC/MSM right…he is an evil genius!

mlong on October 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM

The guy steps on his own pecker and blames rebuplicans. Classic.

conservativecaveman on October 31, 2006 at 3:34 PM

Too bad the internet works so fast sometimes. If not for the internet this could have lasted days, instead of hours.

lorien1973 on October 31, 2006 at 3:34 PM

…adding his remarks were a “botched joke” about the President, not the troops.

Just what the media wanted to hear so they can drop this. What sucks is that’s complete bullshit. You can’t interpret his remarks as being about President Bush. You just can’t. And as I noted in the other thread, despite his claims that this is just some Republican hit job, there were gasps in the room when he said it, as reported by one of the first papers to report the story.

RightWinged on October 31, 2006 at 3:35 PM

I question the timing.

RushBaby on October 31, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Like the Dixie Chicks, he just keeps digging that hole. Go on John-boy, keep a diggin’ away.

E L Frederick on October 31, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Make that republicans

conservativecaveman on October 31, 2006 at 3:36 PM

How many of our founding fathers that gave there life for our freedom had a high school education?

1776….REMEBER WHY!!!

rocked on October 31, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Again, he mentions Vietnam.

Divert, divert, divert. What a desperate man.

matd on October 31, 2006 at 3:38 PM

The comments are on fire at the Huffandpuff post. As could have been predicted … it’s all the bastard Republican’s fault for “lying and manipulating what he said.”

None of them bother to look at the actual video. Why bother?

Gregor on October 31, 2006 at 3:39 PM

The only two words of truth I heard were, “It’s over.”

Yes, John. Yes it is. This is your political death knell.

World B. Free on October 31, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Kerry – “Stupid is as Stupid does”! Kerry has been slandering our troops for over 40 yrs – beginning in Vietnam. This man has no honor or integrity.

Kat13 on October 31, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Thank you Sen. Kerry for making this bullshit comment while here in Seattle campaigning for Cantwell. How come she’s not standing up there with you supporting you? Huh?

Editor on October 31, 2006 at 3:40 PM

How did they manage to find THREE American flags in the People’s Republic of Seattle?

huckleberry on October 31, 2006 at 3:41 PM

As I suspected. Not a word from the Kosacks on this.

conservativecaveman on October 31, 2006 at 3:42 PM

huckleberry,

They had them stored up from when they stole them from the homes of the troops they support.

You think that’s a joke? You should google to find out the rash of flag robberies there was up here.

Editor on October 31, 2006 at 3:43 PM

Even his botox looks wrinkled…just a thought…

He can spin all he wants…he’s still a disgrace to us Vietnam Vets…bring it on Johnnie Boy…

We’ll see if Teddy and Carter can save you this time…

areseaoh on October 31, 2006 at 3:44 PM

What a freakin IDIOT – God Bless Him – even Rove could’t dream this up-

iam7545 on October 31, 2006 at 3:45 PM

So in the span of three days, Harold Ford insults Christians and John Kerry insults veterans and current members of the Armed Services. Great campaign tactics for the final week of election season. Howard Dean must be in charge.

liberty on October 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM

But don’t question his patriotism, or his support for our troops (::rolls eyes::)

BigOrangeAxe on October 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM

Amazing lack of political instinct.

Instead we get that.

Slublog on October 31, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Excellent observation. His hatred of Bush and Republicans has blinded his reason.

infidel4life on October 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM

He is the paradigm of the worst politician. To unashamedly disparage our fighting men and women and then try to blame it on someone else; he disgusts me and I thank God he is not, and never will be, our President. Thanks Kerry for helping me decide to vote straight Republican this election.

Bob on October 31, 2006 at 3:47 PM

I don’t buy Kerry’s argument that this was a botched joke about Bush.

But there is an easy way to prove or refute his claim. Review the transcript of the speech before and after these remarks were made.

But since all Kerry has done is bluster in outrage, but hasn’t actually provided the context of his remarks, I suspect he just might be spinning a little.

EFG on October 31, 2006 at 3:48 PM

As I suspected. Not a word from the Kosacks on this.

conservativecaveman on October 31, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Assuming you’re not talking about the multiple diaries over there full of people orgasming over this performance. Look around, if you dare. One person wrote a diary calling him a jerk and was promptly shouted down by the masses.

World B. Free on October 31, 2006 at 3:48 PM

Too funny – Kerry makes his remarks and the market makes a dramatic recovery from it’s earlier losses. Guess they figure we’re gonna have the status quo in office.

Editor on October 31, 2006 at 3:48 PM

Stick a fork in him ….he’s done. He should have came out, apologised, and moved on. He just put to rest any chance of a serious run in ’08. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out what he meant yesterday and the spin job today was pathetic…to be expected I guess, the man never learns.

EEprom on October 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM

It’s fun to watch this desperado on Halloween, 2006.

RightWinged, I think this will be on the Sunday shows, with Sen. McCain sitting right there…

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM

This election has gone from low to utterly pathetic. Trying to exploit stupid statements and bizarre passages in people’s books is only going to backfire or simply have no effect. Allen is losing in Virginia now, and Rasmussen claims it’s because the voters think highlighting stupid passages is ridiculous.

If this is our only hope of winning, I think it’s safe to say we’ve already lost.

Grebrook on October 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM

The more he speaks about it, the more he confirms that what he really meant was what he is accused of saying in the first place. As sublog suggested above, just a short statement showing a little bit of contrition could have gone a long way to dampen the situation, but instead Kerry’s ego leads him to throw gas on the fire.

Of course, Tony Snow was right when he suggested earlier today that this fits a pattern for Kerry, who has disparaged our troops in both Vietnam and Iraq on previouis occasions.

I just hope Republicans keep the pressure on, because Kerry’s remarks are reflective of the mentality of not only him but of the leadership of the dems in both the house and senate, and the voters need to know that.

thirteen28 on October 31, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Senator Kerry,

Why don’t you for once just say you’re sorry?

delwart on October 31, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Grebrook on October 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM

Nothing is safe to say until the night of Nov. 7th, 2006, and thereafter.

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Come on now!!! Those of us on the right know that liberals are guilty of nothing because they are all products of their environment. Maybe he wasn’t held enough as a child. Maybe his parents are/were demonic republicans.
We need to be more tolerant and push for the funding of a new program for sufferers of BFMMS(Both Feet in My Mouth Syndrone). I’m sure that someone can misconstrue the American’s With Disabilities Act to justify it.

jarhead05 on October 31, 2006 at 3:51 PM

Grebrook on October 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM

thirteen28 on October 31, 2006 at 3:51 PM

What a complete and total scumbag! He bad mouthed the troops during the Vietnam war, said that Americans were terrorizing Iraqi women and children in the dead of night and now, again during a time of war disrespects our troops. I thought I was back in 2004 when he started his tirade about the lack of body armor, Humvies, (remember I voted for the money before I voted against it.) This is what America is in for if we allow the Democrats back into a position of power. My god they have Pelosi, Dean, Kerry, Mirsa and Harry (that’s not my land anymore) Reed. If that doesn’t scare the He.. out of you what does?

SacTownMan on October 31, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Grebrook = liberal sockpuppet

Gregor on October 31, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Go Johnny go!! You just have to love the fact that as elections draw near, the Dhimmicrats always seem to encounter a near pandemic of foot-in-mouth disease.

The DUers are thrilled — thrilled!! — that the “real John Kerry” has stood up and put the smackdown on the WH. What’s amazing is that they are loving the coverage, and hope that it keeps up. Well, come to think of it, I guess we can finally agree on something then…

lan astaslem on October 31, 2006 at 3:53 PM

…my statement yesterday, and the White House knows this full well, was a botched joke…

Well we can all agree on that at least.

Citizen Duck on October 31, 2006 at 3:53 PM

Grebrook = liberal sockpuppet

Gregor on October 31, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Score.

thirteen28 on October 31, 2006 at 3:53 PM

John F Kerry is going to get torpedoed in his second run for the Presidency by a bigger man than he is..Hillary Clinton.

And come to think of it, how did ROVE get Kerry to agree to be his “October Surprise?” Is there no LIMIT to that man’s genius? :)

labwrs on October 31, 2006 at 3:54 PM

Just what we needed to see on Halloween.

Lurch.

A Halloweenie.

Mazztek on October 31, 2006 at 3:55 PM

Justly or not, if the Dems don’t win at least one side, they’ll blame the loss on Mr. Kerry. Then he won’t even be able to place his bunk in the DNC HQ.

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 3:56 PM

labwrs on October 31, 2006 at 3:54 PM

Karl Rove just used that old Jedi mind trick on Kerry. And since Kerry is a “weak-minded fool” (to quote Jabba the Hutt), it worked admirably.

ReubenJCogburn on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

If you are eating a shit sandwich, Kerry, honey—YOU SPREAD THE BREAD. MMMMmmmm….MM!!….would you like some KETCHUP with that???? MASShole. (tip:Rightwinged)

seejanemom on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

One month ago my Speaker Pelosi nightmares were causing insomnia. Thanks to Kerry and Rangle, I might get more sleep. Thankyou Coalition Troops for your honor and sacrifice.

infidel on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Now, just who is dividing the country?

budorob on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

John Kerry = Strawman “If I only had a brain”…

E L Frederick on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

What a Masshole.

joeswampy on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

“My radar is strongly detecting the presence of an internet version of a seminar caller. This thread was about neither Allen nor Virginia.”

Am I the only one here who sees the implicit insanity in pounding Kerry on, of ANYTHING you could pound him on, a statement that involves Iraq?

Do you really want an electorate which is 60% against the war to go to the voting booths on election day thinking about Iraq? Are you kidding me? This is going to be like 1998. “HURR, Clinton’s sex scandals are going to nab us 30 seats, AT THE VERY LEAST! BLOW OUT BLOW OUT BLOW OUT!”

John Kerry insulting American soldiers isn’t going to have any serious effect on the election, and if you pound on it you’re going to refocus the debate toward Iraq, and we’ll lose the election. This is the worst thing you could possibly do. We need to talk about the gay marriage decision in New Jersey, not John Kerry’s elitist bullcrap.

If you don’t switch the subject to gay marriage in NJ, which no one seems to want to talk about, we’ll lose. It’s that simple. You can write off polls all you want, but polls at THIS point in 2004 showed Republicans actually ahead or tied. The Dems are currently up by 11-15. Either we switch the debate to something relevant or we lose the election. It’s as simple as that. If voters are thinking about Iraq on election day we’re going to lose.

Do you really want the Rats in control of the government? Well, I don’t see the point of talking about this anyway. There are too many delusional Republicans nowadays who think the GOP can win an election without independents, moderates or swing voters, and only want to rally the base, which isn’t going to be enough to fight off 30 million pissed off moonbats who smell blood, especially if no one else is voting for us.

Grebrook on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Kerry’s looks always reminded me a little bit of Edmund Muskie. While watching the beginning of this Seattle press conference, I kept thinking we were about to see a meltdown, like happened to Muskie in 1972. I found a clip of Muskie in the snow, but it doesn’t show the meltdown.

huckleberry on October 31, 2006 at 3:58 PM

It’s fun to watch this desperado on Halloween, 2006.

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 3:49 PM

I hope you’re right Ent, and suspect you are. By the way, I don’t want it to seem like I think the election should be about this comment, because that would be like the election being about Foley. But in a way, I do. This is their party leader. They put him up as their presidential candidate in 2004 and may again in 2008 (well, not anymore), and he only said what we’ve all heard liberals on the internet say hundreds of times. This is what he truly thinks. That should be an election issue I believe. The leader of one party calls the troops idiots… and he wanted to be the Commander in Chief!?

RightWinged on October 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM

I fisked the video as best as I could over at Snapped Shot. How DO you fisk the unfiskable, especially when his statements stand on their own repulsiveness?

Brian on October 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Kerry is the quintessential elitist liberal. We should all thank our lucky stars for today’s example of how these people really think.

kmcguire on October 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Thank God that there were not enough dead people voting Democratic to put Kerry in the White House.

chsw

chsw on October 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM

“Let me make it crystal clear that blah blah blah blah blah blah Vietnam blah blah blah blah chickenhawk blah blah blah.”

see-dubya on October 31, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Yes Grebrook. You are.

Gregor on October 31, 2006 at 4:00 PM

Kerry botched a joke??

I thought only Bush had trouble speaking… why Bush can’t even complete a sentence without messing it up. //sarcasm tag off//

Kerry is an elitist boring anti-military boob. I hope he runs again.

flagwaver on October 31, 2006 at 4:00 PM

BOTCHED JOKE” – wasn’t that the theme of his Presidential campaign?

TexasRainmaker on October 31, 2006 at 4:00 PM

This is the Republicans “Mission Accomplished.” When President Bush stood on the aircraft carrier with that banner in the background, the banner was in reference to the carrier completing a very long mission. It had nothing to do with the invasion of Iraq. But, the left said it did and the media has hung that on the President ever since as an indicator of his cockiness and ignorance of the task ahead to secure the country.

Even if Kerry did make a “botched joke,” the Republicans should hang onto his statement with an iron grip and firmly paint this buffoon with the label “military hater” from henceforth.

Mallard T. Drake on October 31, 2006 at 4:00 PM

He started out strong by walking on cue, however things went downhill once he knocked over the mike… Klassic Kerry.

Botched joke? “Yes, yes, Teresa, the punchline is seared, seared into my memory.”

mr_oni on October 31, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Wow, Kerry almost shows some true conviction.

What a hoot – the allegation of a straw man argument from Kerry.

GregH on October 31, 2006 at 4:01 PM

What a loser. On the wrong side of history every time.

Might we remind the junior senator from Massachusetts of his statements about Iraq from before the war?

And seriously dude, we know you served in Vietnam already – WE GET IT!

CP on October 31, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Grebrook on October 31, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Gregor, more support for the sockpuppet theory ^

Lots more, in fact.

thirteen28 on October 31, 2006 at 4:02 PM

he apologizes to no one

Gee, do you think he could be anymore of an egotistical, pompous, ass?

vcferlita on October 31, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Truly an @$$, but I’m trying to figure out how this actually loses votes for the Democrats this year. Maybe if Kerry were running for president….

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 31, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 3:56 PM

When and if they don’t win either house, I predict he hangs himself. He will, in the eyes of Dems, appear to have handed power to the Republicans 2 elections in a row.

RightWinged on October 31, 2006 at 4:02 PM

That’s it! Global warming has fried his brain. If Bush had signed the Kyoto Protocol, this wouldn’t have happened.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 31, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Maybe Kerry was over-medicated??

For a man who wished to change this country, I just have one thing to say…

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! I think you should be out there EVERY DAY, telling this tale…It’s Karl Rove, it’s the aliens….

It’s a great day to be a Conservative!!

HarryStar on October 31, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Do I hear Michele saying “tool”?

Ann on October 31, 2006 at 4:05 PM

Maybe Kerry was over-medicated??

ROFL! I’m surprised Kerry didn’t actually use that one.

Gregor on October 31, 2006 at 4:06 PM

“Let me make it crystal clear. As crystal clear as I know how. I apologize…”

He started off right…

But talk about projection -is there any acusation he makes that doesn’t apply to him? He has the gall to accuse others of trying to divert attention from the issue? Yes, I’m “sick and tired of this game”. Don’t blame others for your own mistakes. The issue is John Kerry said something that a good number of people interpreted to be disparaging of our armed forces. He needs to address that.

taznar on October 31, 2006 at 4:06 PM

I’M SO PISSED RIGHT NOW. GRRRR

Shack on October 31, 2006 at 4:07 PM

LOL!!! I just noticed his first few words from his “speech”.

“Let me make it crystal clear, as crystal clear as I know how.”

Where I have heard lines like those before???? HHHHMMMMM

I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinski.

HarryStar on October 31, 2006 at 4:08 PM

I’m curious to know what the ‘average American’ thinks of his remarks. Sure, most of us here think he’s ended his presidential aspirations, but it seems like most of the DU’ers and koskids think the right has gone overboard.

So what about the ‘middle of the road’ folks… think they’re looking at Kerry as the joke he is? Or do they agree w/the left? Or do they just don’t care?

dalewalt on October 31, 2006 at 4:08 PM

“I was for botched jokes, before I was against them”, or, with a very arrogant and elitist tone:

“I can’t believe these conservative chickenhawks can’t discern reality from conspiracy; with them it’s all about straw men and not about real men, like moi

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 4:09 PM