Video: Juan Williams says CNN’s in the tank for the Democrats; Update: Study shows media election coverage favors Dems

posted at 10:23 am on October 31, 2006 by Allahpundit

On the one hand, he’s a liberal who works for NPR. On the other hand, he’s a regular on Fox News Sunday. On yet another hand(?), Blitzer actually read Democratic talking points to Lynne Cheney during that interview.

Submitted for your approval.

Update: Surprise.

Comments

Shocked, shocked.

Labamigo on October 31, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Chicken or Egg?

Does Blitzer get talking points from the DNC or, does the DNC get talking points from Blitzer?

Either way they’re hardline connected.

fogw on October 31, 2006 at 10:33 AM

I don’t know why Fox continues its relationship with Juan Williams. He’s a blathering moron who makes all Democrats look like….
Um, nevermind.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 31, 2006 at 10:33 AM

Goodness! I can’t believe my ears.

Could KP and Juan both be emerging from the darkness? First Juan comes out with his recent book lambasting the race baiters and victimizers of the left, and now this?

What’s the world coming to?

BacaDog on October 31, 2006 at 10:36 AM

Juan has had moments of lucent sanity since joining FNC. The Ailes master plan is working, you resplendent bantling!

Valiant on October 31, 2006 at 10:45 AM

I (heart) Juan.

Enrique on October 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM

BacaDog, don’t say that Juan is emerging from darkness. That might be, you know, RAAAAAACIST!

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM

What’s the world coming to?

Ever the optimist, I’d say hopefully, some semblance of its senses.

Citizen Duck on October 31, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Who’s up next for the minstrel treatment? Juan or Dr. Dean?

Readymade on October 31, 2006 at 10:58 AM

This is just a momentary lapse of his insanity. He’s not on the CNN payroll, as far as I know, so what does he care about slamming them. It’s not permanent.

He was doing his “Dr. Jerkle/Mr. Hyde” impression for Halloween. Don’t be fooled, Dr. Jerkle will return.

Lone Star on October 31, 2006 at 11:07 AM

…he backpaddled a bit later about CNN as a whole being “in the tank”, but I remember being gob-smacked last night when I heard this.

Put Juan in the column with KP: liberals with a lower-case “L”, for whom the word points to their outlook on life, not a substitute for a religion.

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2006 at 11:19 AM

CNN’s in the tank for the Democrats

…is equivalent with “the sun rises in the East”.

P.S. Why limit this to CNN? The MSM no longer tries to defend itself as objective. We and they accept it as fact that ‘they’re in the tank’.

P.P.S. In time they will drown in that tank.

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 11:23 AM

I turned off O’Reilly at the time Juan came on.
I didn’t want to choke on my dinner. So seeing this,
really made me hic-up. WOW ! ! Juan dulling his
liberal sword and telling it like it is about CNN.
The stars must be in alignment.

Texyank on October 31, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Juan Willians is what liberal journalists should be. While he remains biased he still reports the facts.

Juan was telling the Fox panel how some democrats have tried to label him a traitor, and a republican in democrat clothing. I guess we know which side is more radical.

DannoJyd on October 31, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Lone Star is right. Juan Williams is not going to become a conservative. He has been on Fox news for years now and still has some of the craziest liberal drivel come out of his mouth sometimes. I still like the guy because he does have his moments of lucidity like this one.

Troy Rasmussen on October 31, 2006 at 11:35 AM

As far as liberals go, Juan is one of the few reasonable voices on the left. Even when I disagree with him, which is often, he sounds honest (doesn’t usually parrot the DNC’s talking points) and like he’s actually given the the topic some thought. His new book, Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America–and What We Can Do About It , is on my reading list and is not what you’d expect from a liberal.

Mig on October 31, 2006 at 11:52 AM

Juan has always struck me as a latent conservative. His moral values are in line with many conservatives. He is now beginning to see the errors of the left, it is difficult for someone like him to seperate from his base. NPR, black caucus, democrat. But he, like many others (Tammy Bruce) will slowly distance themselves from the extreme left party. We must have patience to receive Williams, Powers, and others. They are all too smart to stay the course that the left is heading. Men like Steele will help guide them.

right2bright on October 31, 2006 at 12:26 PM

I do not believe that Juan is one of the few reasonable voices on the left. I think he is a bit of a lightweight. But I was amazed at his comments last night. I suspect researching his book may have been an enlightening experience for him and maybe he is moving toward the light.

bopbottle on October 31, 2006 at 12:26 PM

Good for Juan for having the stones to admit it. Still don’t agree with a lot of his views, but he’s to be commended for having the honesty to tell it like it is with respect to CNN.

thirteen28 on October 31, 2006 at 12:49 PM

Yeah…whatever. Who’s the chick?

Jaibones on October 31, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Juan’s ability to state the obvious does not excuse Fox for hiring the dumbass. I quit watching Fox the day they hired Geraldo and I ain’t going back any time soon.

Jose Chupacabra on October 31, 2006 at 1:55 PM

NOOooooo. Say it isn’t so.Ass.

seejanemom on October 31, 2006 at 2:00 PM

Fox is converting all hteir liberals
Alan Colmes is next

Defector01 on October 31, 2006 at 2:18 PM

Accurate reporting of events and issues from the standpoint of the longterm American advantage has long since become a matter of life and death for Americans. Journalists neither of the left nor the right were astute enough to put our attention squarely on al-Qaeda prior to 9/11, and neither side were astute enough to bring the demographic problem to our attention. Near the core of the problem is the sorry circumstance that, at the top of news organizations, there are “producers” and “editors,” rather than political thinkers as such. A proper news organization would more closely resemble a large staff of good writers and photogenic, articulate people, organized around and dependent on the thought of a group of political thinkers who are as ugly and curmudgeonly as they are profound.

Kralizec on October 31, 2006 at 2:50 PM

If you listen, he agrees that CNN is in the tank for the Democrats but says that they are “counter-programming Fox.” O’Reilly corrects him that it’s MSNBC that’s doing that. While he agrees that CNN slants left, I think he is justifying it by saying that it is in response to FNC slanting right.

I don’t think this is the big deal people want it to be.

Steve L. on October 31, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Well its getting harder and harder for the MSM to hid it’s bias..so even libs like Williams can’t deny it anymore…not when both CNN and MSNBC are running a DNC marathon on their networks.

mlong on October 31, 2006 at 3:38 PM

Sometimes stuff just shoots its way out of Juan the Liberal’s mouth and it stuns even him.

lynnv on October 31, 2006 at 3:56 PM

I’m baffled. There has been a string of surprisingly blunt MSM admissions, starting (I believe) at the BBC a week or so ago, confirming Leftist bias. What I’m really baffled by is – why now, right before the election?

Halley on October 31, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Fox is converting all hteir liberals
Alan Colmes is next

Defector01 on October 31, 2006 at 2:18 PM

Colmes is now and has always been a liberal parrot spouting the most outragous liberal nonsense and thinking he sounds intelligent doing it. He isn’t going to change.

conservativecaveman on October 31, 2006 at 4:31 PM

If Colmes changes he loses his meal ticket, the liberals feed him talking points and feed his family. No one is that stupid to take all of the stances he takes…no one but, Kerry, Rangle, Ford, Pelosi, Kennedy, Walters, O’Donnell, Obelman (spelling but who cares), Estrich, all of Berkely, all of San Francisco, Hillary, NYT, CNN, oh oh, maybe more than I thought. They are all so stupid we should send them to Iraq.

right2bright on October 31, 2006 at 6:13 PM

Fox is converting all hteir liberals
Alan Colmes is next

Defector01 on October 31, 2006 at 2:18 PM

If your post was a picture, the caption would be:

Defector01, moonlighting as an aspiring screenplay writer, pens a potential script for Mission Impossible IV.

thirteen28 on October 31, 2006 at 9:57 PM

Roger Ailes defined the perceived conservative bias at Fox by stating Fox appeals to a more “mainstream” audience. You can take that to mean conservative if you want, but most Americans are moderates from both parties, and they are the mainstream. CNN has decided to appeal to a narrower audience (hence the reason they trail in ratings), and I think Juan is right: they are an offset to Fox albeit with less advantageous appeal. Of course Wolf (the tool) Blitzer was spewing Democratic talking points. Those are the only “points” he allows himself to hear.

thedecider on October 31, 2006 at 10:11 PM

I don’t think this is the big deal people want it to be.

Steve L.

It is in this regard. Liberals like to throw FoxNews out there anytime a conservative mentions media bias as if to say FoxNews clearly shows a conservative bias in all media. Now we have a liberal actually admitting the bias of CNN even if he’s saying it’s just to counter Fox.

Now if one believes that CNN is biased how can one question NPR, MSNBC, CBS, etc having liberal bias? The coverage from those sources is basically the same as CNN.

Benaiah on October 31, 2006 at 10:21 PM

Don’t get too excited people. I think Juan is just temporarily off his meds.

Besides, if he keeps this up, they are going to take his DNC MAGIC DECODER RING away from him.

Dave R. on November 1, 2006 at 5:12 PM