Zawahiri was target of Pakistan madrassa airstrike

posted at 12:56 pm on October 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

The ostensible target was Faqir Mohammed, an al-Zawahiri deputy who hosted a meeting of Taliban and AQ fighters two days ago in Bajaur. They fired four or five missiles into the building, though, according to the Pakistani military, killing approximately 80 jihadis. Which sounds like an awful lot of firepower to be using for an aide-de-camp.

Indeed, says the Blotter quoting Pakistani officials, they were after the big dog himself.

They don’t think they got him, although another deputy, Maulana Liaquat, is presumed dead. As for Faqir Mohammed, early reports conflict: WaPo says he left half an hour before the attack but Bill Roggio believes he was on the premises at the time. Roggio’s also skeptical that this was carried out by the Pakistanis:

While the Pakistanis are taking credit for this strike, the question arises as to whether this may have been conducted by Task Force 145, the U.S. special operations terrorist hunter-killer teams. Task Force 145 was responsible for the April raid in Danda Saidgai on the al-Qaeda’s training camp for Osama bin Laden’s Black Guard, his elite praetorian guard. Pakistan initially took credit for the Danda Saidgai strikes, but the Washington Post later revealed this was indeed a U.S. mission. Dawn notes the raid occurred “at around 5:00 am,” which means it was conducted in the dark. Pakistani helicopter pilots would need night training in flight and targeting.

Exit question: if they did get him and you were Bush, would you/should you hold the announcement until after the election?

I’m thinking … no.

Update: Not only did Faqir Mohammed survive, he did an interview in the immediate aftermath of the attack … with NBC.

Comments

hell no you shouldn’t

Defector01 on October 30, 2006 at 1:04 PM

would you/should you hold the announcement until after the election?

Umm. NO!! Take out full page ads, billboards, etc. Shout it from the highest mountain 24/7 till the election.

raz0r on October 30, 2006 at 1:07 PM

…wait? I would try to avoid appearing too triumphant…an end-zone dance on camera would do….

Puritan1648 on October 30, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Inquring minds want to know . . . NOW!

heroyalwhyness on October 30, 2006 at 1:18 PM

No matter which decision Pres. Bush makes, he’ll be accused of ‘playing politics’, so the right decision is tell make the announcement now.

dalewalt on October 30, 2006 at 1:19 PM

I’d “leak” it to the NYT just to see which page they print it on.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 30, 2006 at 1:22 PM

(IRNA) Pakistan’s major Islamic group said on Monday that American planes bombed a religious school in the country’s tribal region and condemned Pakistani government for taking responsibility for what he called the massacre of innocent students.

Chief of Jamaat-e-Islami Qazi Hussain Ahmed said his party will observe Condemnation Day across Pakistan on Tuesday.

An Iranian paper claims it was the US. Do we need more proof that it wasn’t? LOL!

E L Frederick on October 30, 2006 at 1:23 PM

The public has a right to know. Reality trumps politics. This is a nice moral boost for out troops. Thanks go out to our boys and girls fighting for our security.

infidel on October 30, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Please let it be true, and GWB lets get going on the announcement heh?? waiting would be foolish.

Viper1 on October 30, 2006 at 1:27 PM

RedWinged, that verges on the tree falling in an empty forest question.
If info like that were leaked and it never ever made it into the paper ,well, I think we know thw answer to that,they (MSM) are still claiming no WMDs .

bbz123 on October 30, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Hopefully we did get him. Allah you will like this cartoonCharlie Brown Jihad Christmas . Maybe it will be up for awhile.

Dittohead on October 30, 2006 at 1:29 PM

When the Talibani Afghans harbored Al-Qaeda, we invaded their country and ousted them.

Yet Pakistan provides a base of refuge for AQ, allowing them a semi-secure and autonomous region from which to recruit, train and stage attacks.

From the article:

al Qaeda’s No. 2 man may have been staying at the school, which is located in the Bajaur region near the village that is thought to be al Qaeda’s winter headquarters.

They’ve got seasonal headquarters?

Why isn’t there a US infantry division or three scouring and cleaning that area of Pakistan?

And yeah, I know, Musharraf/fine balance of power with Islamists and the ISI/blah, blah, blah.

Five years out from 9/11, I say this has gone on long enough. Fine time someone twisted up Musarraf’s arm behind his back and told him “Your little peace deal with the tribal areas is over. Either you’re going in, or we’re going in and no one’s leaving ’til the area is clean of Taliban and AQ.”

Citizen Duck on October 30, 2006 at 1:30 PM

October (Rovian) surprise…announce it with a “Mission Accomplished” banner.

How can one “unaccomplish” a death? Just testing if the roots will find a way…

Entelechy on October 30, 2006 at 1:32 PM

Condemnation Day

…Condemnation Day? Is that the one with the candy and kids dressed up like Democrats (fairys, ballerinas, civil servants), or the one where the women spend all day trashing their husbands in the kitchen while their husbands spend all day asleep in front of a televised football game?

…are there lots of japes and songs and presents and funny hats involved? Does the usual fruit cake make the rounds? Will it effect business travel?

Condemnation Treeee…Condemnation Treeee…
Israel SUCKS!
Condemneation Treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee….
*BOOOM* (as the carolers blow themselves up)

Puritan1648 on October 30, 2006 at 1:32 PM

I question the timing of these airstrikes :P

lorien1973 on October 30, 2006 at 1:34 PM

This is how you win a war. You get a bunch of the enemy in one place and blow ‘em the hell up. It doesn’t matter if it is a school, mosque, graveyard or whatever. If they are using those places as meeting sites, it’s because they think we won’t hit them because it wouldn’t be P/C.

If they are using those places to meet at, and plot and plan against us, then they become no different than the trenches in WWI or the tunnels used by the Japanese in WWII or the VC in Viet Nam, they become legitimate targets.

And if letting the Paks take credit for the strike deflects the “You shouldn’t blow up a school/mosque/graveyard ’cause you might offend somebody” crap, I say let ‘em have the credit.

MOMinuteman on October 30, 2006 at 1:34 PM

Well, call me a fan of disproportionate response, but if he left half an hour before hand, and we didn’t use a big enough bomb to get him anyway… then we used too small a bomb.

12.5 kilotons worked in Japan… I think it sounding like a good solution in Pakistan.

E L Frederick on October 30, 2006 at 1:38 PM

“sorry about the price of gas going back up a bit, we were preoccupied….I’ll bring it back down in a day or so…thank you for your patience and god bless America”
Dubya.

CBarker on October 30, 2006 at 1:42 PM

[overhears dhimi's whispering: Psst, pass the word. We're supposed to say, "Yeah, but it's not Bin Laden."]

By the way lorien. I’m a 73′er myself and I love B5. My wife and I watched the whole series, start to finish. I used to go by the handle of Vorlon911 before my friends stuck me with the Churchlady nick.

“There is only one human captain who has ever faced a Death Star and lived to tell. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your life, be somewhere else!”

Oh what I’d give to hear any man in DC say something like that while standing up to the terrorists/ illegal immigrants/ abortionists/ [fill in the blank.]

y2church on October 30, 2006 at 1:42 PM

I like the way the Waziristan peace deal is working out.

Pablo on October 30, 2006 at 1:44 PM

…newsflash:

(AP), Kaboom-a-bad, Whackistan. Yet another large group of burly South Asian men, all seen wearing “I *heart* Osama” ball caps, with Kalashnikovs and long, wicked knives poking out of their bathrobes, were killed today…

…er…were *murdered* today…yeah…that’s it…

…and they were students…sure…yeah…students…er…student nurses…and…women…with little children…yeah…

…and it was in a mosque…being used as a hospital…for kittens and little yellow baby ducks…with boo-boos on their paws…where they sold cotton candy….

…yeah…that’s the ticket….
(c) 2006, AP

…we’re killing little kitties…anybody got a tissue?

Puritan1648 on October 30, 2006 at 1:47 PM

Gadhan was a student too! Is it too much to hope he was in class?

LakeRuins on October 30, 2006 at 1:52 PM

That would require him to have class…

E L Frederick on October 30, 2006 at 1:58 PM

Well its a start. Its too bad we’re so bad at publizing our successes while are enemies are so good at pubblizing our failures.

Iblis on October 30, 2006 at 2:02 PM

Hearing about 80 dead terrorists, no atter their rank, is good news to me.

It should be on the front page regardless. Besides, since we get to hear about scores of dead civilians in Iraq on the front page then so many dead terrorists should also make the front page… if that’s not asking too much (which it just might be from many news sources).

Yakko77 on October 30, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Get a bead on that flea.

sonnyspats1 on October 30, 2006 at 2:14 PM

I’m thinking … no.

Heh.

…hell no…

Heh, heh.

Jaibones on October 30, 2006 at 2:22 PM

I really hope we got Gadan and Zawahiri. I don’t think I can take another finger-wagging lecture from these two steaming piles!

If we didn’t get them this time, I hope, if our Special Forces guys find them, the first thing they do is pull those pointers back to their breaking point. If we take them alive, I want to see them wearing a cast on thier pointing hands (oh, and their filthy mouths taped shut).

CliffHanger on October 30, 2006 at 2:37 PM

I’m sure if they got him, they’d tell us. I can’t fathom any reason NOT to tell that news.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2006 at 2:41 PM

I want to see them wearing a cast on thier pointing hands

How about four fingers and a bloody stub?

RedWinged Blackbird on October 30, 2006 at 2:53 PM

How about four fingers and a bloody stub?

Suits me just fine. I don’t want to be picky…

CliffHanger on October 30, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Any one else wondering what else the ‘three’ presidents were talking about while in DC. Seems as if we’ve just witnessed one plan discussed. Are there more? We can hope.

shooter on October 30, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Since this was “news”, I went to CNN’s website to see if they had it in their LARGE printed headlines, you know, like Snipers killing Americans.

Well, I must say that I was suprised amazed that the headline says:

Islanmic Leader: US Jets used in School Attacks

Why…this CAN’T be the same story…we bombed an Al Qaeda school. AAHHHHHHAAAAA….you have to click on the link to get rid of the CNN propaganda, I got it!!!

Al Qaeda School Attack: 80 dead

HarryStar on October 30, 2006 at 3:05 PM

killing approximately 80 jihadis

That’s good news, no matter what their alphabet soup names are were.

infidel4life on October 30, 2006 at 3:08 PM

From an AP article:

n Islamabad, Qazi Hussain Ahmed — an opposition political leader — blamed the U.S. for the attack and said claims that the madrassa was a terrorist training center were “rubbish.” Thirty children were among the dead, he claimed.

db on October 30, 2006 at 3:13 PM

Their schools are targets, because we all know what they teach in those classes. Meanwhile my daughter is coming home telling me about global warming and how I shouldn’t have a campfire in the back yard.

Gooch on October 30, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Are our leftist posters celebrating with us, today?

Hmmm. Nothing from Honora, GregH, and Constantine in this thread.

Nope. No celebratory messages from them. No, “well done” or even “keep it up in going after Al Qaeda,” notes, despite the fact that trolls like Constantine like to wave the the so-called “we’re distracted by Iraq” flag every chance he gets.

Nothing.

Not even their bullshit sauce that they love to serve us with.

georgej on October 30, 2006 at 3:22 PM

The Blotter story now says it was a US strike.

Bugler on October 30, 2006 at 3:39 PM

Will be interesting to see how the MSM treats this in the next 24 hours. Could just ignore it, but my money is on negative US/Bush spin — there’s an election coming up.

db on October 30, 2006 at 4:15 PM

there’s a new report saying the attack came from a predator drone

Defector01 on October 30, 2006 at 4:16 PM

Did I miss the memo “warning the enemy”? I dont’ think the “enemy” ever got it also.

Copied this from the article at the FOX News site:

Siraj ul-Haq, a Cabinet minister from the North West Frontier Province, condemned the attack and announced he would resign from the government in protest.

“The government has launched an attack during the night, which is against Islam and the traditions of the area,” ul-Haq told the AP during the funeral. “They (the victims) were not given any warning. This was an unprovoked attack on a madrassa. They were innocent people.”

Sultan said the military had warned Hussain to close his madrassa, which the army believed was being used as an Al Qaeda-linked training center to prepare militants for attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Who ever let loose the missle, good shot!

bubbadog89 on October 30, 2006 at 4:25 PM

If it is the case that:

Sultan said the military had warned Hussain to close his madrassa

Then apparently, they were warned. I guess they should have paid attention. Goos thing they didn’t.

Mmmmm, toasty.

urbancenturion on October 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Task Force 145 CREED Down and dirty JACK!

sonnyspats1 on October 30, 2006 at 4:50 PM

Al Zawahiri, the one who admonishes all true Muslims to become martyrs? What’s he waiting for? Isn’t it his turn? Or is he a Chickenmartyr?

shaken on October 30, 2006 at 4:57 PM

Keep up the good work boys

Defector01 on October 30, 2006 at 6:11 PM

CounterTerrorism Blog has come good info up about this…

E L Frederick on October 30, 2006 at 6:19 PM

To use a scene from B5, what I’d like to see is the Big Bad Guy’s head on a pike in the Rose Garden. Pres. Bush doesn’t have to say anything; just have a press conference with the trophy in the background.

old_dawg on October 30, 2006 at 6:29 PM

In the NBC story this Faqir Mohammed fellow admits the school was a terror school run by al-qaeda, yet NBC keeps refering to it as a ‘terror’ school, with the word in ellipses like it’s alleged or a wink-wink joke.

turds.

Mr. Bingley on October 30, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Too bad. I would have smirked at his timely demise.

thedecider on October 30, 2006 at 8:04 PM

Can someone explain what looks like a dent in his forehead? I mean, it explains much about his behavior, but what the heck?

thedecider on October 30, 2006 at 8:19 PM

A portion of what Michelle posted on her blog RE this story:

Smart GOP candidates will press their opponents: Do you support the effort to root out jihadists from these madrassa terror sanctuaries or not? Will you pander to CAIR mau-mauers when they take the Islamophobia line or not?

C’mon Republicans, get a freaking clue!

infidel4life on October 30, 2006 at 9:32 PM

E L Frederick, I laughed until I hurt.

Maxx on October 30, 2006 at 11:29 PM

the decider-

Super-devoted Muslims bow so much and bang their heads on the ground (it’s called “self-stimming” in the mental health field) that they gain a “holy” callous/ “ding” on their noggins. Much respected by the mentally unstable in the Islamic world (pretty much everybody).

Here’s hoping Zawahiri is zawa-gonie.But, if Republicans really want to pull this election out of the doldrums, they’d better have most of Osama in a heavy-duty hefty bag by 6:50 a.m. EST November 6th.

profitsbeard on October 31, 2006 at 12:27 AM

No waiting to release good news…

RalphyBoy on October 31, 2006 at 1:59 AM

“The victims were not warned.”

Tough shit! ‘Cause neither were the people in the Twin Towers and the Pentagon!

Let’s all cry ‘em a f#$%in’ river, shall we? Let’s all be good little dhimmicrats and complain that Bush murdered these peace loving women and children. “Bush blows up school full of pregnant women and babies”, that should make for a nice headline, eh NY Times? They were just trying to get an education, now they’re all DEAD! Oh the humanity! 80 dead terrorists is a wonderful thing no matter how the left tries to spin it. It’s very simple math really, Predator plus Hellfire equals dead jihadis.

Tony737 on October 31, 2006 at 7:58 AM

…the victims were not warned? It doesn’t make sense. If someone would’ve warned them, they wouldn’t’ve been victims. How would that have worked out?

I like what Paul Tibbets said when asked if he regretted bombing Hiroshima.

“If you give me the same circumstances, hell yeah, I’d do it again.”

…if they weren’t in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, at the wrong time, they never would’ve become world famous. Think of that. Saved from a lifetime of obscurity by an obliging bit of ordnance.

In a war, you kill the enemy. The way to keep from being a “collateral damage” statistic is:

* don’t let an enemy of a world power use your facilities
* don’t stand to close to that enemy
* don’t look like that enemy

…and finally:

* don’t shelter that enemy, enable him, feed him, agree with him, side with him, sympathize with him…eject him as soon as he arrives…rat him out…collect the reward…use it to buy a second wife…then, get back to your goats.

The best way to deal with the Taliban or Al Qaeda in your neighborhood is to be far enough away from them to be able to say “what was that?” when the Air Force delivers their Hallowe’en candy.

Puritan1648 on October 31, 2006 at 10:08 AM

E L Frederick, I laughed until I hurt.

Maxx on October 30, 2006 at 11:29 PM

I’m just seriously getting sick of us fighting these backward savages. I am also sick of waiting for the Dems to prove Osama right that we are a weak and anemic people with no backbone.

So to h3ll with all of them. Nuke ‘em till they glow then shoot ‘em in the dark.

E L Frederick on October 31, 2006 at 10:26 AM

You would think that if this guy was really a surgeon, he could remove that big-ass ugly mole from the center of his face.

EF on October 31, 2006 at 3:33 PM