Video: Cheney lauds Second Lady’s “slapdown” of CNN’s Blitzer

posted at 4:19 pm on October 30, 2006 by Ian

In an interview with FOX News’ Neil Cavuto, Vice President Dick Cheney lauded Lynne Cheney’s interview with Wolf Blitzer when she questioned CNN’s bias. The Vice President referred to the interview as a “slapdown” and added his wife was “very accurate and very aggressive”.

Full transcript below.

CAVUTO: Your wife, Mr. Vice President, created a little bit of a stir in an appearance on a rival news network last week, taking exception to the way that network portrayed the economy, the government, that things are going to hell in a hand basket. I’m sort of paraphrasing here. Actually, she was much more to the point that I’m being. What did you think of that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I thought it was great. We refer to it around the house as the “slapdown.” And she was very tough, but she was very accurate and very aggressive. And of course, she was in the business for a while. There was a time on that network when she used to host the show they had on for a long time called “Crossfire,” on Sundays for a couple of years. So she spoke her mind, and I thought it was perfectly appropriate.

CAVUTO: Did she go into that kind of ticked off because she saw this week-long series on — one day a time — everything that’s bad with America, and she just said, you know what, I’m going to let it rip?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I’m sure she’d seen part of it, but, no, I think she just responded to the moment. But she’s pretty tough and pretty aggressive, and that’s exactly the way it ought to be. She presented, I though, a very strong case.

CAVUTO: Did you talk to her prior to her going on?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No.

CAVUTO: Did you talk to her afterwards?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I did.

CAVUTO: What did you tell her?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I told her I thought it was a sterling performance.

Comments

Right on…

x95b10 on October 30, 2006 at 4:37 PM

Yeah, baby!

The impressive thing here is putting the Media Whores on the defensive for a change. They spew their garbage all the time without anyone challenging them. Like that demented Oberman guy, who-thank the Lord-I only have to watch on HotAir clips…So the simple question-do you want America to win is really fan-fugging-tastic. It turns the tables on all the Whores of the Caliphate. Just delightful!

WriterMom on October 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Bolton/Cheney 2008

FYI, That would be John & Lynne.

[sound of liberals scurrying for their holes]

fogw on October 30, 2006 at 4:43 PM

LYNN ROCKS! That is the kind of REALITY TV we Conservatives really want to see. Stand up and scream, Lynn—what have you got to lose??? You GO GIRL!

seejanemom on October 30, 2006 at 4:46 PM

She came on to plug a book, just like she had done on a lot of shows in the last couple of days so when Wolf went out and asked political questions he shouldn’t, and nobody else should either, get his knickers in a wad. I bet Lynne is still stinging from when the Dems brought up her daughter in the debates as a way to score points, or so they thought and she was danged if she was going to sit back and absorb anymore abuse.

LakeRuins on October 30, 2006 at 4:47 PM

And yes, I know how to spell Lynne. Just not a minute ago. Enthusiasm disables my internal spell-checker. Sorry, Mrs. Chainee.:)

seejanemom on October 30, 2006 at 4:49 PM

Nobody puts Cheney in a corner.

Readymade on October 30, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Republicans in Washington should take a seminar on how to use their spine. This seminar should be taught by Lynn Cheney. Her performance was inspiring. “Slapdown” is right!!

Troy Rasmussen on October 30, 2006 at 4:53 PM

GET OUT!!!! I LOVED DIRTY DANCING…who doesn’t? YOU can turn on TBS any weekend afternoon and if it isn’t DD, its Roadhouse or Breakfast Club. Am I wrong.

Damn, Readymade…I wish I had thought of THAT one!!!

seejanemom on October 30, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Dirty Dancing….wish I had thought of that one, Readymade. Nicely done.

seejanemom on October 30, 2006 at 4:56 PM

My wife wanted me to mention this to Mr. Blitzer
Who’s your momma? :-p

Defector01 on October 30, 2006 at 4:57 PM

I swear I’m not repeating myself. The computer and the comment box is repeating myself. I will go now. Beg pardon.

seejanemom on October 30, 2006 at 5:06 PM

Liberals never met a terrorist (or a tax increase) they didn’t like. First of all every bit of trouble that happens on this globe is Bush’s fault—from Michael Fox’s twitching on TV to hurricanes in the South Atlantic. A bar fight in Chicago? Blame it on Bush. A street riot in France? How could you do it, George? By this singular line of reasoning without Bush there would be no terrorists. Besides “terrorists” are not really terrorists (it all depends of what “is” is). Don’t you see? Terrorists are only killing, murdering, raping, bombing and pillaging because of Bush. Without him they would be inventing cures for cancer, distrubuting food for the starving and performing other merciful good works.

Beyond terrorism. Without Bush all poverty, disease, famine, bad weather (and yes even bad breath) would instantly disappear.

MaiDee on October 30, 2006 at 5:09 PM

It’s always amusing to see the media/democrats react when they are challenged. They still don’t get it! It’s not the 20th Century any more. They don’t control the train of thought! And that’s a good thing!

SouthernGent on October 30, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Lynne should hold a seminar in Washington to show some of the Republicans how to “grow a pair”…

Mallard T. Drake on October 30, 2006 at 5:12 PM

I thought the Hans/Lynn interview was too violent for CNN and it did not have equal air-time for a Ted Turner response. Just another example of the right-wing-media.

Limerick on October 30, 2006 at 5:14 PM

It’s hard to beat everyone else’s comments!
Guess y’all responded like I did: “You tell him, Lynne! Yeah, baby! You so go, girlfriend!”
I went to the White House website
and sent her a thank you email.
I’ve been buying her books, too, because even though we don’t have kids, I learn things about American history from them…and the Cheneys are wonderful people who should be supported!
Lynne was firm, polite and lady-like–made me proud to be a Bush/Cheney-loving, America-rooting, troops-encouraging American!

Jen the Neocon on October 30, 2006 at 5:49 PM

She came on to plug a book

It was a “liberal hit job”. Isn’t that what Bill Clintoon would say?

x95b10 on October 30, 2006 at 5:50 PM

Mrs. Cheney needs to be more visible. Her presence commands respect. A class act second to none.

Big Time sure loves his wife.

doingwhatican on October 30, 2006 at 6:05 PM

It was a “liberal hit job”. Isn’t that what Bill Clintoon would say?

Exactly, x95b10

From your keyboard to Ken Mehlman’s ears, doingwhatican, couldn’t agree more.

CrimsonFisted on October 30, 2006 at 6:09 PM

Wow, they can’t even talk around the house without referring to torture tactics.

We refer to it around the house as the “slapdown.”

What a truly sadistic pair!

MaiDee, check out the Blame Bush website. It’s a hoot.

NTWR on October 30, 2006 at 6:19 PM

Aaawwwe … I wish we had more Cheneys from WY and less Freudenthals. It’s people like the Vice President and Mrs. Cheney that make me proud to be for Wyoming :)

wytammic on October 30, 2006 at 6:22 PM

NTWR –
Slapdowns” are just common place here in WY :)

wytammic on October 30, 2006 at 6:25 PM

I wish we had more like the Cheney’s….period.

doingwhatican on October 30, 2006 at 6:26 PM

Wolfie, he-he-he, call me…

GRIN

GoingThere on October 30, 2006 at 6:33 PM

Lynn Cheney for President.

kmcguire on October 30, 2006 at 7:05 PM

Lynn Cheney for President.

kmcguire on October 30, 2006 at 7:05 PM

I second the nomination.

Viper1 on October 30, 2006 at 7:11 PM

I third the nom for Prez.

Pit bull performance. Loved it. Take that Wolfie. Like to see her do a smackdown of that nerd who aired the terr vid in the first place.

sbvft contributor on October 30, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Go Lynne! Unfortunately I didn’t catch her interview because I no longer watch CNN.

thedecider on October 30, 2006 at 8:00 PM

This was fricken awesome… as I said before, the only thing Mrs. Cheney forgot to say was:

“…. and you’re sittin’ there with your little smirk, and you think you’re so clever.”

RightWinged on October 30, 2006 at 9:57 PM

That woman ROCKS!!! Go Lynne!!

tickleddragon on October 30, 2006 at 10:59 PM

And to think, she did it all without wagging a finger.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 30, 2006 at 11:09 PM

Here’s hoping most of the congressional GOPers are hereby duly ashamed of themselves for not be willing to speak truth to power as honestly and forthrightly as Lynn Cheney did.

Halley on October 31, 2006 at 6:26 AM

I always liked Lynne Cheney – and I’ve always been jealous that she’s married to Dick.

msflea on October 31, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Suggest you pick up a copy of Lynn Cheney’s novels. Smut is a nice description. Actually I thought she looked like a real shrew–she apparently thinks that CNN is her personal PR outlet. “Can we talk about my book?”
Well, actually you’ll talk about what Blitzer wants to talk about.

I bet they call it a slapdown in the Cheney household. Right after they discuss how Iraq is in the last throes.

honora on October 31, 2006 at 9:25 AM