“Neglected, overlooked, and disparaged”: Six black Dem pols break ranks, endorse Steele

posted at 6:39 pm on October 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Mary K told me earlier this was big news. Eh, I thought.

Then I read the press release. Wow:

Today, Michael Steele received the endorsement of former Prince George’s County Executive and Democrat Wayne Curry, five Democratic Prince George’s County Council members and several other Democratic community and business leaders at Infusions Tea Café in Largo…

Wayne Curry today said [remarks as delived], “This is obviously a historic occasion and I am very happy to be a part of it. I grew up in Prince George’s County. Michael Steele was born here…I am a lifelong Democrat and I am mindful that our emergence as a community has always come along with struggle and strife…this community has been seriously trivialized. We have been neglected, overlooked and disparaged in the sanctums of the Democratic Party…Prince George’s County has been geographically redlined and stratified. It is the place where there is more Democratic voting than any other place in Maryland…”

“The [Democratic] party acts as though when they want our opinion they will give it to us. It’s not going to be like that no more.”

Prince George’s County is 66 percent black. Cardin can’t afford to lose there with Steele within five points or so.

There aren’t enough dark pixels in the nutroots’ Photoshop color palette to deal with the blackface job this is going to warrant.

We’re looking for video of this. There’s nothing on Steele’s website (yet); if you come across any, please e-mail us.

Comments

Steele is going to win this race, and I’m going to look at him as Linc Chaffee’s replacement Republican.

This is the beginning of the end of the Democrat party as we know it.

Pablo on October 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM

The DNC plantation owners will not be happy.

JammieWearingFool on October 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM

‘…this community has been seriously trivialized. We have been neglected, overlooked and disparaged in the sanctums of the Democratic Party…’

Brave man! I hope someone’s got his back.

RushBaby on October 30, 2006 at 6:51 PM

Ben Cardin: House Whigga’!

Editor on October 30, 2006 at 6:52 PM

Is this what they call, “speaking truth to power”? ;-)

I read somewhere that if Steele wins, the Republicans hold the Senate. Let’s hope this gives him a big boost.

Mallard T. Drake on October 30, 2006 at 6:53 PM

I read somewhere that if Steele wins, the Republicans hold the Senate.

This is a seat they hold, and have expected to win. If they lose it, it’s a -2 in the seat count for them.

Pablo on October 30, 2006 at 6:56 PM

We saw how ballistic the Donks went when they realized they were starting to lose control over the courts. How desperate do they become when they start to lose one of the cornerstones of their base: the black voters.

Mallard T. Drake on October 30, 2006 at 6:57 PM

John Brown John Brown

history majors might get this

Defector01 on October 30, 2006 at 6:59 PM

This stems from Steele’s NOT being invited to the NAACP little get together for the people running….

Luckily he showed up anyway….. but I think the Black community saw the hypocracy there.

Romeo13 on October 30, 2006 at 6:59 PM

I just bought stock in Nabisco…they make Oreos…and I’m sure they will be selling out of them in Maryland.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2006 at 7:01 PM

How are those blackface jokes going for you now Demclowns?

bbz123 on October 30, 2006 at 7:04 PM

That is the end of the Democrat party as we know it. Take 15 percent of the Black vote away from them and they’ll never win another national election.

Pablo on October 30, 2006 at 7:04 PM

Time for the Donks to start handing out voter registration cards to the illegal aliens along with the drivers licenses they are going to get them.

Mallard T. Drake on October 30, 2006 at 7:07 PM

Allah not-quite-so-akhbar!!!

They obviously haven’t run out of people to blackface.

Oddly, I believe there will be many genuinely disappointed people if at least one of those several Dems doesn’t get the treatment very soon. More oddly, I would completely understand their disappointment. With three fine examples to date, how can any nutroot photoshoper justify NOT volunteering for this hit job?

JoeEgo on October 30, 2006 at 7:09 PM

Has anyone heard any word of Ken Blackwell’s campaign for Ohio governor?
Blackwell and Steele are both what people used to call a “credit to their race” (not embarrassments like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson), they’re intelligent, articulate, conversant on the issues, strong yet statesman-like.
In short, they have gravitas, baby, gravitas.
It’s going to be fabulous watching them win and bring a good portion of their brothers and sisters off the Dem plantation.
The Dims weren’t helping black Americans as it was, so way past time to stop rewarding them for nothing with their vote.

Jen the Neocon on October 30, 2006 at 7:10 PM

Proclamation Emancipation, baby.

Editor on October 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Uh, sorry, my bad. Emancipation Proclamation. Got ahead of myself. I blame it on exlaxcia… er, dys… whatever.

Editor on October 30, 2006 at 7:19 PM

YES, YES, YES!!!!

The “We had your back in the 60′s” mantra doesnt mean squat now. Oh my goodness what if test scores go up in Prince Georges County after this? The Democrats will never get back in, that is what they get for years of rhetoric and zero results. What are Jesse and Al gonna do?!?!

Theworldisnotenough on October 30, 2006 at 7:20 PM

The moment that Black Americans realize they are intellectually, economically and politically free, is the moment we see the birth of a more powerful, united America.

New tee-shirt slogan:

Republicans–Off the plantation since 1865.

ahem on October 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM

Republicans–Off the plantation since 1865.

Unless they are running Congress, then it is a plantation and “they be the massa.” Just ask Hillary.

Mallard T. Drake on October 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM

Steele is a ‘Lincoln Republican’…He is going to make a great Senator.

Wade on October 30, 2006 at 7:27 PM

This is the beginning of the end of the Democrat party as we know it.

Pablo on October 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Music to my ears – it’s as if I heard myself speak :)

Entelechy on October 30, 2006 at 7:29 PM

Steele’s name says it all. Not only does it describe his backbone but his resolve as well. I hope he wins.

x95b10 on October 30, 2006 at 7:32 PM

Speaking of great black GOP candidates, what’s the buzz on Lynn Swann in PA?
I know Rendell’s spent more than him and has had a more aggressive campaign, but he’s such a typical Dem empty suit–is he not worried at all about getting reelected?
Notice that the MSM has given these fine black candidates as little positive coverage as they can.

Jen the Neocon on October 30, 2006 at 7:43 PM

Dems deserve to lose the black vote. They don’t give them anything but lip-service. Has anyone see the latest reports on minority home-ownership among blacks? It’s at an all-time high. This, by the way, was Bush’s project. Yes, a Republican.

thedecider on October 30, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Steele is just a great leader. Every time I hear this man speak I’m impressed.

NTWR on October 30, 2006 at 8:03 PM

…everybody’s pulling for Steele…from I’ve seen of the way he carries himself, he deserves it. It would make me feel good to see him win. Come from behind, against the odds of a nakedly bigoted opposition, and win…that’s America….

Puritan1648 on October 30, 2006 at 8:26 PM

This is all good news! I really hope that when Steele wins, he gives Cardin a box of Oreos when he concedes to Steele. It would be interesting to see how the media will spin that.

ViperPilot on October 30, 2006 at 8:35 PM

Allah – This is a VERY BIG DEAL. Curry has tremendous courage and should be commended. He is correct. Baltimores Mayor – Martin O’Malley is running for Gov in MD- Baltimore has one of the highest murder rates and THE lowest high school graduation rate in the country. Under O’Malley NOTHING has improved. O’Malley is white and HE gets the Dems nod for Governor?? O’Malley is running TV ads that say – Ehrlich (congressman for 1st 2 years of Bush) voted with Bush 90% of the time – HELLOOOO – Who cares – YOU ARE RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR – What about crime??? Last election the Dems put up Kathleen Kennedy Townsend – a Dem transplant that never ran for public office??? She lost. Curry has been a highly effective county executive – The Dems don’t care. BRAVO Mr Curry.

GO STEELE GO

iam7545 on October 30, 2006 at 8:52 PM

New tee-shirt slogan:

Republicans–Off the plantation since 1865.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Theworldisnotenough on October 30, 2006 at 9:13 PM

An excellent coup for Mr. Steele!

Curry and his disparaged crew still carry a lot of weight with PG County Voters.

Cardin’s just been delivered a serious hit below the waterline.

I’ve a feeling the Dem’s dreams of capturing the Senate have just been crushed!

Jack.

Jack Deth on October 30, 2006 at 9:20 PM

I don’t expect the MSM to give Steele a lot of coverage on this developing story. They can’t afford to have any spillover leaking into other races nationwide. Gotta keep those black folks in line. God forbid they find out black Democrats in MD are supporting a stand-up, intelligent and articulate black candidate in the Republican Party.

fogw on October 30, 2006 at 9:20 PM

Steele is far more impressive than Chaffee.

Christoph on October 30, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Maryland is showing how it’s done – not only for Steele but also for Ehrlich. Check out these stats. Change is a coming. Can’t blame this on Rove, or can they?

And fogw, you’re right – it’s all hush, hush in the media – though, this is a reeeeeal big deal. I’m with MKH on this. Been there for years and no surprise here.

Entelechy on October 30, 2006 at 9:27 PM

Blacks are naturally conservative but don’t normally vote that way. Bringing them school vouchers and private accounts will draw them away from the dems. In the short term we may lose the house (though I think the republicans will pull it out) but in the long run the dems are losing a big part of their base. They’re trading blacks for gays. Not a good move demographically.

Patrick H on October 30, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Who just compared Steele to Chafee?

He will be the next president president. As for Obama, forget about it. Apart from Thomas Sowell, he is one of the black leaders that have a clear cut way to deliver a message that is a product of logical reasoning.

Ouabam on October 30, 2006 at 9:53 PM

I don’t see this as a race issue even though I am glad to see our friends with the darker complexion recognize that republicans are extending a friendly hand. I do see this as Americans recognizing that democrats have done nothing for them, and have instead been spending their time bashing our President.

Think about it. If democrats had put in half as much effort formulating positive plans to run on as they did ranting on about our elected President there would be a reason for voters to cast their vote for those libs. They didn’t, there isn’t, and I thus continue to believe that Republicans will retain control of all of Congress.

Anyone care to bet against me? :oP

DannoJyd on October 30, 2006 at 10:35 PM

[Pablo]

Ja wohl… also no surprise they’d appear more conservative today as the center of the Democratic party continues to accelerate toward the left at warp speed…

RD on October 31, 2006 at 2:09 AM

Who just compared Steele to Chafee?

I’m not comparing the two, merely saying that Chaffee’s R seat is going to go D, and Maryland’s empty D seat is going to go R. It’s a good trade if you ask me.

Pablo on October 31, 2006 at 3:59 AM

jesse and al are going to come up with whole new definitions for themselves, ie., they must re-invent themselves or face the music and charges for crimes past.

tormod on October 31, 2006 at 5:13 AM

We Republicans had better realize that it is on our individual shoulders to promote our party to like minded Conservative voters who have been on the Dems tally sheet for decades.

seejanemom on October 31, 2006 at 5:53 AM

Has anyone heard any word of Ken Blackwell’s campaign for Ohio governor?

Unfortunately, it’s still not looking good for Blackwell. The corruption from the RINOs here in Ohio has more than tainted the landscape. I’m keeping my fingers crossed, but NOT holding my breath for surely I would suffocate.

midir on October 31, 2006 at 7:28 AM

Okay, I admit it:

I’m sincerely feeling SORRY for Democrats right now. They are just pitiful. I really, truly feel bad for them.

I’m going to find one and give him a hug. Just as soon as I stop laughing and chortling.

Professor Blather on October 31, 2006 at 8:14 AM

Can’t blame this on Rove, or can they?

They probably should. Some rumors have it that The Dark Lord pressed Steele into running.

Rove, you magnificent bastard! ;-)

Pablo on October 31, 2006 at 9:32 AM

Rove, you magnificent bastard! ;-)

Pablo on October 31, 2006 at 9:32 AM

If I could compose music I’d make a symphony out of this!

Entelechy on October 31, 2006 at 12:00 PM

Heh. It’s no wonder that some Blacks would become more conservative as they increasingly take part in the ownership of society.–Pablo on October 30, 2006 at 7:04 PM

Heh. Pablo’s comment reminds me of someone’s observation that in the twentieth century, the Democrats failed to foresee “the embourgeoisement of the proletariat.” For those who don’t know Marxist cant, the Democrats didn’t realize that if the condition of poor people improves, they become middle class!

Kralizec on October 31, 2006 at 12:01 PM