Video: Steele, Cardin face off on MTP

posted at 1:19 pm on October 29, 2006 by Ian

Maryland Senate candidates Lt. Gov. Michael Steele (R) and Rep. Benjamin Cardin (D) faced off on Meet the Press this morning to debate the big issues. Steele crushed Cardin on the congressman’s “plan” for Iraq, just by demanding that Cardin explain it. Steele eventually exposed Cardin for being against funding the war and the troops, something Democrats continually deny in public even while Rep. Charlie Rangel promises to cut off funding the war if the Democrats take the House. Steele confronted Cardin’s plan to bring 10,000 troops home a month, which would leave us with only half our force in Iraq by the end of the year. However, Cardin denied his so-called plan with this response: “Should we have a time schedule? No.”.

Continuing, host Tim Russert actually played some hardball with Cardin, asking him to clarify his position to cut funding for the war, thus taking money from troops during wartime. Quoting the Baltimore Sun, Russert pointed out that Cardin said if the Democrats could present cutting funding for the war “the right way”, he would “clearly support it”. Below is an excerpt from that Sun article:

cardin-sun-quote-1.jpgcardin-sun-quote-2.jpg

Later, Russert brought up several instances in which the Lt. Gov. is supposedly covering up his party affiliation. But Russert didn’t mention that Michael Steele was the Maryland Republican party chairman, or that he is currently the Lieutenant Governor under Republican Governor Bob Ehrlich, or the fact that a big “R” will appear next to Steele’s name on the ballot. Steele, in his response, makes it clear that he is a Republican but is not running as a partisan.

Russert asked Steele several ‘gotcha’ questions like “which current Supreme Court justice would you vote not to confirm”. That’s the advise and consent version of “When did you stop beating your wife?” And then there were just plain dumb questions like “what about Steele Republicans”, asked in reference to “Steele Democrat” bumper stickers that are all over Maryland. Russert was trying to make it look like Steele is running away from his Republican affiliation. I wonder if Russert has ever heard of Reagan Democrats?

And how often does Russert mention that before taking the helm at NBC, he was a Democrat staffer? And so were many of his MSM colleagues.

***

Michael Steele’s campaign exposes all of Cardin’s lies and contradictions.

Comments

Did anyone ask, “Do you want to win the war?”

Did Russert state that he believes the democrats will win control of the House?

Remember to vote on Nov. 7th.

DannoJyd on October 29, 2006 at 1:46 PM

The choice seems clear to me, but I’m not a citizen of Maryland. “We need to win this war” versus “We need a plan.” Seems like a no-brainer to me…

rmgraha on October 29, 2006 at 1:46 PM

In 2006, facts don’t matter. Just vote the way the democrats want. Winning the war? Bah. higher taxes? Bah. just vote democrat. They’ll fix it all with their magical wands.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2006 at 2:13 PM

This was the first time I’ve seen the entire 60 minutes of Meet The Press in a very long time. Steele had Cardin for lunch. Russert was easily as tough on Cardin as he was on Steele. Maybe more so. I hope it was not becuase Steele was…

you know…

mustachioed.

topmaker on October 29, 2006 at 3:02 PM

Then, in my area, the Chris Matthews show came on. That guy has jumped the shark big time. Friggin’ wonkette? c’mon, man, what’s up with that?

topmaker on October 29, 2006 at 3:03 PM

So if it was “presented in the right way”?( ie can we fool enough people to buy our crap) they would gladly hang our troops out to dry in the middle of a war?
Despicable beyond even my jaded view of these wretched traitors.

bbz123 on October 29, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Steele is a great speaker. Wish Bush was half as good.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2006 at 3:16 PM

Cardin’s plan to win in Iraq sounds exactly like the plan the democraps had to win in Viet Nam, cut the funding for the war.

I think Steele will win on that point alone…

Zorro on October 29, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Steel-As sharp as fine Sheffeild cutlery.

sonnyspats1 on October 29, 2006 at 3:39 PM

Man I hope Steele gets elected! He’s one of the sharpest candidates I’ve seen in a long time. Very well-spoken, too.

(What’s up with Russert’s kindergarten question of whether Steele will vote with the Republicans when he’s elected? He was really reaching there. What a hack.)

CP on October 29, 2006 at 4:18 PM

He is very sharp. He answers the questions without making disputable assumptions.
Cardin started shaking when he asked about his plan. I believe that Steele would make a terrific senator who would take on hard issues like social security, healthcare, immigration, etc. rather than riding with the waves, “Look at me. I’m black. I’m a senator.”

Ouabam on October 29, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Russert has really gone downhill. I blame it on his association with Imus, Ford Jr and glue. It’s interesting how Black Republicans don’t get the “smoothy” treatment on these shows. They are treated like they are…..white.

Hening on October 29, 2006 at 5:38 PM

They are treated like they are…..white.

Good. That’s how they should be treated. I’m glad being a Republican is enough to get you treated like every other Republican regardless of your skin color, ethnic background, or income level.

The Republican Party: The only truly classless society. Except for the hard Libertarian wing which can be total S.O.B.s every now and again.

The Apologist on October 29, 2006 at 6:43 PM

But they supports the troops, just not the war…riiiiiiiight!

SouthernGent on October 29, 2006 at 6:48 PM

Cardin acts like he is a rookie. Hard to beleive that a man as dull as he is has been in Congress for 20 years – and done nothing. Furthermore – how any Jew voted against the was in Iraq is beyond me. Put WMD aside – Sadaam was payrolling homicide bombers and Hamas. Even hairplug Schumer voted for the war. Steele is qualified and will not sit on his ass and collect a paycheck.

GO STEELE GO

iam7545 on October 29, 2006 at 6:55 PM

This has been Cardin’s race to lose, and he looks like he’s going to do it. Steele is cleaning his clock without so much as breaking a sweat.

If Steele takes this race, Democrat heads will be exploding like popcorn.

Pablo on October 29, 2006 at 7:06 PM

We need more leaders like Steele. He is articulate, to the point and does not mix his words. Sounds like the President used to be when he said “Head or Alive” and “Either you are with us or against us”. But sadly the President stopped be a leader and caved to the PC advocates. In other words “Steele is a man”. Can anyone picture his opponent as a leader?

Wade on October 29, 2006 at 7:14 PM

As someone who works in a factory with a majority of minority employees, my experience is that they don’t look at a guy like Steele’s race as much as they do the R, or should I say the lack of a D next to his name. In Pa. which is where my company is, there is a governor’s race now between the Dem incumbent “Fast/Slick” Eddie Redell, and Rep Lynn Swann, four time Super Bowl combatant and the Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee. Eddie is white, and Swan is black.

When the news on the TV in the lunchroom recently showed Steele pressing the flesh and responding to questions, one of the older black women stated talking him down in a loud voice. Just the usual stuff about him being a puppet, tom, she may have even used the word slave. She is a nice women other wise and we get along great, but I avoid asking here the big questions because I like working there.

Shame is that she is typical in that most of the inner city folk that I work with assume that any black republican is a tom… Or in Condie’s case, a witch. (other spelling options available on request). I can’t find it now but some black leader or another (NAACP?) once said of voting for or against Condie something along the lines of… our heads would tell us not to, but once inside the booth our hearts would pull the leaver next to her name.

Steele is awesome, let’s hope he smashes this cut and run weasel Cardin.

RalphyBoy on October 29, 2006 at 7:42 PM

RalphyBoy, as long the Blacks continue to vote that way, the Democrats will continue to do absolutely nothing for them. Only when they- as a voting bloc- are up for grabs, will they have any real political power. That woman and many others should vote for Steele and Swan (and hopefully Condi Rice in ’08). Then both political parties will come hat in handing asking what they as a group truly want.

Mike O on October 29, 2006 at 8:11 PM

I wish I could vote for Steele. Maybe a presidential run some day…

SnakeintheGrass on October 29, 2006 at 10:11 PM

Cardin has campaigned ten times, and that is all he can manage in a debate? Obviously Maryland has been so in the bag for Democrats that he hasn’t had to face a challenge of substance.

He has a plan. Which is to demand a plan.

When Stelle asked where Cardin’s resolution proposals regarding current events were, he got crickets in response. This is exactly how to hold a congressman’s feet to the fire. What have you done for your constituents lately? One of the things representatives do is express their opinion by offering resolutions which then get published or not based on an up/down vote, thereby declaring every other rep’s agreement or disagreement to that opinion. Cardin hasn’t even been managing that.

Steele is destroying Cardin on substance at every turn, and he didn’t flinch once under Russert’s interrogation.

Freelancer on October 29, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Steele is one hell of an impressive speaker.

Christoph on October 29, 2006 at 10:58 PM

There are too many sheep in the black voting population. I am tired of always being lumped in with folks who are constantly waiting for someone to give them a handout or a bailout when it is so obvious that only the person in the mirro can effect the most change in the shortest period of time.

Steele has the potential to really shake things up in both the black community *and* the Republican establishment. Assuming he gets the nod from Maryland voters, I expect him and Barack Obama to have a meeting of the minds as it were, and agree not to get into the juvenille games that we saw so much of in the House of Reps.

How much do you want to bet that Steele is tapped in a few years as a potential VP? One can only dream.. ;-)

itzWicks on October 29, 2006 at 11:25 PM

Cardin should pack up his bags, fold up his tent and disappear into the sunset.

Steele handed Cardin’s backside to him, but Cardin’s too stupid to figure it out.

Steele’s going to win handsomely.

Jack.

Jack Deth on October 29, 2006 at 11:46 PM

SMAAAAACKDOWN!

Maybe Steele in ’08?

kevcad on October 30, 2006 at 1:34 AM

Steel was outstanding!
Left that mofo Cardin grinning and mumbling like an idiot.
I’m delighted that I gave $50 to his campaign (and I live in Texas).
Condi/Steele ’08!

Jen the Neocon on October 30, 2006 at 2:09 AM

I got a good feeling about Steele.

Maybe we got some Steele Democrats here?

iNeXuS on October 30, 2006 at 3:49 AM

Cardin lost just about every aspect of that debate – he did acquit himself well in a couple of places but the issue was clearly not on his side

Cardin displayed exactly why some pundits and commentators are decrying a lack of debate

It is very difficult for Democrats and Cardin is a pretty honest guy – lets give him that, he tried fight for his positions and failed miserably. So when commentators are digusted with the negative campaigning and how it is distracting from the issues…..

That’s exactly what the Dem playbook is, always has been , always will be.

Ever since Mondale, beat Reagan in the debate, had a large lead in the polls, then said “we have to have the courage to raise taxes”

Dems have been running from their party ever since

EricPWJohnson on October 30, 2006 at 5:31 AM

Steele is a great speaker. Wish Bush was half as good.

lorien1973 on October 29, 2006 at 3:16 PM

President Bush is a great speaker, but he seems unable to deliver a written speech. My family, and I saw candidate Bush back in 2000, and he spoke very well. He had no speech, and he talked to us on what his view for America was. The crowd loved it!

I see today that the media is backing away from predicting a winner in Michigan’s race for Governor. Take heart, people!

I suggest that anyone wanting to get their people elected should give a call to their local party headquarters. Any help you could provide would be most appreciated, even at this late date.

DannoJyd on October 30, 2006 at 7:16 AM

Go Steele! That’s our man! *cheers*

Man, he mopped the floor with Cardin. Old, white, leftist. He should be in a nursing home. ;)

RiverCocytus on October 30, 2006 at 8:08 AM

Danno Jyd

stabinow …. RCP Down graded her to leans….

May down Grade her to tossup

EricPWJohnson on October 30, 2006 at 8:21 AM

Steele had Cardin on the defensive the whole time. He was just masterful.

I think Russert looked like he was going a little easy on Steele. I think Tim knows when he’s over-matched intellectually and can’t throw out the cheap shots like usual. Steele would feed them right back to him.

jdpaz on October 30, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Russert-potato head lead off this piece with the recent WaPo poll showing Steele behind 11 points……

Russert-potato head did tell you the WaPo poll had a biased sample……they sampled 56 dems and 30 reps…..

gee I wonder why the poll showed Steele 11 points back.

Limerick on October 30, 2006 at 10:13 AM

didn’t tell you…oops

Limerick on October 30, 2006 at 10:13 AM

Steele was great in that interview. He called Cardin and the Dems in general on their Iraq policy, or non-policy.

shooten on October 30, 2006 at 12:35 PM

I have a plan!
I have a plan!
i have a plan!
I have a plan!
I have a plan!

Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable! Repeat it enough and it’s believeable!

$50 bucks for Steele…..zip for Cardin.

I hope my Vikings have a better “plan” than Cardin and the
Democracts! (In fantasyland Vikings 27, Pats 17)

Sarcasm, Just one more service I offer.

VikingGoneWild on October 30, 2006 at 1:12 PM

Is it just me or does the Democrat plan for Iraq seem just like the Bobs’ plan to get rid of Stephen Root in Office Space? Vote Democratic and we will FIX THE GLITCH in 2006! Well, 2007, actually but it doesn’t rhyme.

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 30, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Giuliani/Steele 2008

jtdavies on October 30, 2006 at 6:14 PM

I bet 5 bucks the bald guy wins!

SilverStar830 on October 30, 2006 at 10:21 PM

Let us remember that it wasn’t the Vietnam War that was lost. At the end, there was a stand off like N Vs S Korea. What was lost was the country of Vietnam to communism, like the lost of China to communism. Now class, how did this happen? Funding to secure our ally was cut.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 30, 2006 at 10:52 PM

What a fine, obviously decent man Steele is. How can any reasonable person choose a sad tired little apparatchik like Cardin over a fine man like Michael Steele? I am not in Maryland and am not American, and can only watch and ask some people there to choose wisely. Sometimes in politics a good man is there, only waiting for people to realise him

Janos Hunyadi on October 30, 2006 at 11:25 PM