Video: Murtha madness

posted at 10:38 pm on October 29, 2006 by Ian

How many silly things can one congressman say in one clip? Several. In this clip, the man who slipped Abscam manages to say that:

Iraq will get better once our troops leave.

Iraqi troops will have an easier time hunting down al Qaeda once our troops leave. Whether they’re actually ready for the job or not, apparently.

That the presence of our troops in Iraq helps recruit terrorists (which may be true, but only to the extent that fighting back usually produces a response from the enemy. We didn’t quit fighting the Nazis because their recruitment went up once we declared war on them, after all.)

He says facile things about Maliki too. At least he didn’t promote redeploying our troops to Okinawa. This time.

It’s a sad commentary on the times that Murtha will probably stay in office and Santorum will probably lose his. Santorum is serious about the war and understands it quite well. Murtha is Grampa Simpson made real.

(clip snapped by Ian, commentary by Bryan)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The hysteria on this thread is very interesting. Protesting too much my little right wing friends. Those ain’t new clothes the emperor is wearing kids.

Here’s the deal: if we pull out, it will be a mess; if we stay in, it will be a mess. The people who created the mess will be held accountable.

Oh and BTW, Murtha will be re-elected. If you really want to push that aneurism, pick up a copy of this month’s Vanity Fair. It shows some real differences between red and blue states–with sources cited for the info.

Top 10 states for divorce? Red.
Top 10 states for suicide? Red.
Top 10 states for death from firearms? Red.
Bottom 10 states for education (achievement)? Red.

So the good news is if the country comes to its senses and votes Dem, you may stay married, stay alive, not be shot and have smarter kids. It’s an ill wind as they say….;^)

honora on October 31, 2006 at 9:50 AM

Typical honora, responding to posts 12 hours after the fact and hoping no one will notice. Yesterday it was citing thinkprogress.com, today it’s Vanity Fair. Love the sources! Why not add a CNN/USA poll while you’re at it. Are you capable of arguing any issue on your own without referring to a statistic or poll from a biased source?

Unfortunately honora fails to ever put forth a solution to the problem in Iraq, only criticism, and now today, even a bit of cheerleading for Murtha, who tried and convicted our brave troops in the press.

There is one poll I would like to see. I’d like to poll every active duty marine serving our country, and ask if they agree with the senile, ex-marine, pork-barrel, union-kissass congressman from western PA.

Why don’t you take a crack at answering the question I posed yesterday. For some reason you ignored it.

So should we just sit back and watch it happen, or do something about it, like fighting them in their own back yard instead of on Main Street USA?

What do you suggest, we sit down and talk with them?

So honora, since everything Bush has done relating to Iraq is a failure, what do you suggest we do?

I’ll be waiting – for an ANSWER, not a stat, not a poll, not a distraction to some other topic and not some reference as to how dumb you think people are who disagree with you.

My guess is, you won’t have a solution and you’ll explain why by blaming Bush.

fogw on October 31, 2006 at 1:05 PM

My guess is, you won’t have a solution and you’ll explain why by blaming Bush.

fogw on October 31, 2006 at 1:05 PM

honora on October 31, 2006 at 1:33 PM

Color of the states Usama bin Laden reached out to: BLUE.

JackM on October 31, 2006 at 12:41 PM

Exactly, high value targets.

honora on October 31, 2006 at 1:35 PM

honora, there’s no such word as “calaminous.”
Did you mean calamitous? Or were you trying to coin an adjective for “calumny?”

Actually I misspelled calumniuos but calamitous works too.

honora on October 31, 2006 at 1:50 PM

calumniuos

Calumnious. My spelling is calamitous….

honora on October 31, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Honora wrote: “The hysteria on this thread is very interesting. Protesting too much my little right wing friends.”

(1) I’m not your friend. So I’m not offended by your blathering.

(2) YOUR former standard bearer for the presidency typifies what YOUR party has become:

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.” John Kerry, 30 October 2006

And as of this posting, NOT ONE DEMOCRAT has the balls or desire to criticize Kerry for his remark.

Congratulations. Your party has just committed mass suicide.

Suggestion: When you line up for your glass of Grape Kool-aid on November 8, try adding a spoonful of sugar.

georgej on October 31, 2006 at 2:30 PM

honora on October 31, 2006 at 1:33 PM

You are not waiting for an answer–you are waiting for any sort of reply to tee off on. Nonetheless: Come on honora, you’re the queen of teeing off on people, as you did below suggesting I sit around in my jammies, without a life, without a job and that I stink. You know nothing about my personal life, or my job, and as best I can tell it isn’t possible to detect an odor over the internet.

1) remove Rumsfeld. He is completely associated with the current, failing policy. And replace with who, Kerry?

2) work on a political solution, not a military one. When we are getting shot at by both the Sunnis and the Shiites, exactly who is military trying to defeat? A political solution involves presenting the Iraqis with hard choices–have a plan in place to share oil revenue with all sects, dismantle sectarian militias within 18 months, or agree to a partitioning, or see ya later. Oh, what a wonderful world it would be …. Now you’re not assuming full cooperation from the insurgents and Al Qaeda are you? That could blow a huge hole in your Utopian plan. Political solutions will not make these death squads disappear. Pure fantasy honora.

3) involve neighboring countries to support Iraqi security (border security especially). Yeh, that’ll work. They’ve been very helpful up to now. I’m sure Iran will pitch in. Perhaps if Madeline Albright gave Hussein a autographed basketball from Michale Jordan, the Syrians would lend a hand too.

Now I know you will have massive disagreements with this, you are still with stay the course and anything else is cut and run. Yada, yada, yada. As a wise man once said, the opposite of stay the course doesn’t have to be cut and run, it can be stop and think. Another wise man said stay the course doesn’t mean your inflexible to change, it can mean stay until the work is done and the objective is met.

I have a real life and a real job; can’t stay in my jammies all day working on my high umbrage. You should try to get out once in a while if only to blow the stink off. I served my country for six years, put myself through college, ran my own business for 30 years, put three sons through college and retired last year. Blow the stink off of that, OK? So, after a lifetime of hardwork, I reward myself by spending every day doing damn well what I please.

And the Vanity Fair article noted its sources–the CDC was one, as was the Census. Communists all of course. Like I care who Vanity Fair sourced.

fogw on October 31, 2006 at 2:58 PM