Video: Harold Ford says Republicans don’t love, but just fear God (Update: Corker responds)

posted at 5:16 pm on October 29, 2006 by Ian

Harold Ford Jr., the Tennessee Democrat running for the U.S. Senate, spoke to an audience in Paris, Tennesse on Saturday afternoon. Quoting Rep. Lincoln Davis (D-TN), Ford Jr. told the crowd “Republicans fear the Lord, Democrats fear and love the Lord”.

Transcript:

Update (Allahpundit): How do you demonstrate your fear of God? By shooting campaign commercials in a church, of course.

Update (Bryan): I’m a Christian and a Republican. I used to think Harold Ford was decent and intelligent. With this “fear and love” business, though, he’s lost me.

Oh, and just imagine if a Republican said something like that.

Update (Ian): Corker responds (hat tip: Stop the ACLU):

Comments

Oh, nice…..

Mortis on October 29, 2006 at 5:17 PM

I believe in some circles that’s a faux pas. Whoops. Again.

thelinyguy on October 29, 2006 at 5:17 PM

So not only can they run the country better, they (when they choose to) worship the Lord better.

Gotta give ‘em credit for chutzpah, anyway.

Texan on October 29, 2006 at 5:23 PM

That makes me wonder whether he knows what it means to ‘fear the Lord.’ His theology seems shaky on that one.

Slublog on October 29, 2006 at 5:23 PM

You see,if you are forced to go to church,as he has been quoted,you then learn to love the object you are forced to worship.This is the central tenet of Liberal programs.Allow them to force all sorts of things upon you,submit to their superiority and you will then learn to love them.

bbz123 on October 29, 2006 at 5:27 PM

A Dhimmicratic prophet that speaks for God and hangs out with playboy bunnies claims Republicans don’t love God. No wonder he’s on Imus almost every day. They must both do glue together. What a putz.

Hening on October 29, 2006 at 5:32 PM

I think I hear God Crying…

GoodBoy on October 29, 2006 at 5:53 PM

I take back what I said about liking him.

Spassvogel on October 29, 2006 at 5:55 PM

Hening, too funny!

And yet Lib Dems are the first ones to start screaming “Where’s the separation between church and state?!” at every opportunity!

Further thought: Harold Ford complains “I was forced to go to church.”
It’s called childhood, Harold and you’re supposed to thank your parents for raising you in a good way, not make them sound like Simon Lagree!

Jen the Neocon on October 29, 2006 at 5:56 PM

OH YEAH, the culture war’s on, baby! This is what I’ve been waiting for.

Alex K on October 29, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Good grief..this sounds like the second grade. Girls are sweet, pretty, and nice. Boys are loud, stupid and smell bad. If I lived in Tennessee I’d kick over a chemical toilet in front of his campaign headquarters for being giant annoying douchebag.

austinnelly on October 29, 2006 at 6:14 PM

If God could vomit, He would in response to this.

infidel4life on October 29, 2006 at 6:22 PM

Gods most likely used to hearing stupid stuff..24 hrs a day that poor God of ours listens to it, I don’t how he puts up with us for sooo long. It’s political season and Ford is throwing his poo.

ekuspa40 on October 29, 2006 at 6:33 PM

Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

Valiant on October 29, 2006 at 6:37 PM

Democrats also love taxes, and they talk about that less than they talk about god.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2006 at 6:39 PM

Nothing like a Christian with Chutzpah

iam7545 on October 29, 2006 at 6:41 PM

If God could vomit,

Of course God can vomit; He’s omnipotent.

mikeyboss on October 29, 2006 at 6:44 PM

Of course God can vomit; He’s omnipotent.

mikeyboss on October 29, 2006 at 6:44 PM

Good point.

Hmmm, that reminds me… Rev 3:16

infidel4life on October 29, 2006 at 6:50 PM

“Judge not, lest ye be judged”

Let the judging begin….

Isn’t this the Howard Dean school of theology? Sounds familiar.

Mallard T. Drake on October 29, 2006 at 6:53 PM

If they love God so much, why do they chase Him out of the public square?

Pablo on October 29, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Quite right.

“Fear” of the Lord, in the Biblical sense, cannot exist without Love of the Lord.

Also, Ford’s parents probably “forced” him to eat food, wear clothes and live in their house, too.

It’s interesting that an adult would still be clinging to childhood resentments

JamesonLewis3rd on October 29, 2006 at 7:19 PM

How do Democrats love God? Let me count the ways…

- deny he created the world
- deny prayer to him in schools
- prevent people who believe in Jesus from speaking his name in what little prayer is left at government functions
- support the removal of mention of him from the Pledge
- only speak of him at all in just the few weeks before an election, and only in the South
- prevent his mention in prison ministries
- prevent his mention in school homework

pedestrian on October 29, 2006 at 7:21 PM

Democrats love the Lord. They just hate unborn babies.

Gregor on October 29, 2006 at 7:38 PM

If they love God so much, why do they chase Him out of the public square?
Pablo on October 29, 2006 at 7:17 PM

EXACTLY…Pablo my friend, you came thru again.

I say WE get behind this seperation of church and state.
We keep Ford and Hillary out of church and the crosses off their necks, because they are STATE FUNDED PROPERTY.

shooter on October 29, 2006 at 7:58 PM

I must give credit to Laura Ingram’s radio show, (I think) cause I heard this on her show, with the evil confused one Hillary as the property.

shooter on October 29, 2006 at 8:00 PM

God loves Buffoons, because her created so many of them and assures that each of us falls into that category on occassion. However, some tend to make buffoonry a profession; Ford is in danger of falling into that group with statements like this.

Mike O on October 29, 2006 at 8:01 PM

Not only is Harold Ford a ‘donkey’ by voluntary political affiliation; with this statement he also proves himself an ass. I don’t know enough about him to say for sure whether him being an ass is voluntary or just the natural state of affairs.

LegendHasIt on October 29, 2006 at 8:06 PM

Just like Madonna, he gonna pay for dat…

The Machine on October 29, 2006 at 8:08 PM

Ford’s statement on “fear” of the Lord speaks of his ignorance of his religion. When someone fears God, it is with awe and humility being in the presence of God; repect for the One who will always be what we could only strive to become for we are not God’s equal. It is not a cowardly fear that provokes disdain and contempt, as Ford would insinuate. He sounds like someone who just doesn’t get it. However, I hope that most of his fellow christian democrats correct him (for his sake) for it would be sad if this basic reverence to God is misinterpeted by him for the rest of his life.

geckomon on October 29, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Hey Ford! Here’s a cartoon I made that explains what we Republicans are all about. It just might help ya get a clue (but I won’t hold my breath!)

alabama22 on October 29, 2006 at 8:13 PM

Let’s look at his statement logically, which is futile when speaking of Donks and religion.

Why would one “fear God”? To avoid some sort of punishment which God could assess on you. The worst of this would be to be sentenced to Hell, which is defined as eternal separation from God. If you did not love God, then you would not worry or care about being sent to Hell since you have no desire to be with Him to begin with. You would have nothing to fear of God.

If you loved God and want to spend eternity with Him in Heaven, then you would fear His authority over your soul. When you realize that we are condemned to Hell by God’s justice, but saved for Heaven by His Grace, then that fear of God would also include love of God. The conclusion is that the fear and love of God cannot be separated. Either you have both or you have neither.

Mr. Ford Jr.’s logic is flawed, but that is no surprise. The Donk’s have trouble understanding religion. They think if they speak “the language” then voters will flock to them. If you’ve got it, you don’t need to flaunt it. It will be known.

Mallard T. Drake on October 29, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Obviously when you’re a brilliant theological scholar like Harold Ford, Jr., you can automatically ascertain the nature of a person’s relationship with the Almighty just by knowing whether there’s an R or a D after their name.

Either that, or he’s breaking the 11th Commandment: Thou shalt not be a douchebag.

ReubenJCogburn on October 29, 2006 at 8:26 PM

He will learn that there is no room for “God fearing” or “God Loving” people in the democrap party… just ask Joe Lieberman…

Zorro on October 29, 2006 at 8:36 PM

What?! I both love and fear God…does that make me a democrat?

I sure hope not.

Bob's Kid on October 29, 2006 at 8:49 PM

I don’t fear God and I’m about as conservative as they come. If I feared my God … I wouldn’t worship him.

Gregor on October 29, 2006 at 8:54 PM

If the Democrats love and fear the Lord so much, why won’t they allow His houses of worship to speak openly and freely about the issues of the day? In 1954, Senator Lyndon Baines Johnson, a democrat, inserted language into the Internal Revenue Code that prevents any church from endorsing or opposing any political candidate or speaking out on political issues without the church fearing the loss of there tax exempt status.

So the church has been silence for 52 years and counting. If they love and fear the Lord so much why not let His church speak out? Or why not at least recognize the “Law of the Land” which clearly states:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, …”

And read what is being done about it here:

Maxx on October 29, 2006 at 9:01 PM

Maxx, I’ve got to say that I am thankful for that law. I don’t think I want a religious figure as powerful as the Pope instructing all Christians to vote one way or the other.

It might sound like a good idea when discussing abortion issues, or moral issues … but you might change your mind when discussing national defense or capitol punishment issues.

Let’s continue to make up our own minds.

Gregor on October 29, 2006 at 9:19 PM

Amen pedestrian.

How do Democrats love God? Let me count the ways…

- deny he created the world
- deny prayer to him in schools
- support the removal of mention of him from the Pledge
- prevent his mention in prison ministries
- prevent his mention in school homework

pedestrian on October 29, 2006 at 7:21 PM

Texyank on October 29, 2006 at 9:24 PM

Hey Ian, Corker responded to thisI just put up video of his response.

Jay on October 29, 2006 at 9:41 PM

I see you updated hat tipping me. Much appreciated Ian.

Jay on October 29, 2006 at 9:42 PM

So let me get this straight:

Ford feels justified in making broad, sweeping generalizations about the most deeply held beliefs of millions of people, people that he’s lumping all together under a single convenient label …

… and Corker’s the prejudiced bigot?

Interesting. If this makes sense to you … you just might be a liberal.

———————-

On second thought – I wonder who’s more offended: all the Republicans who have been told they don’t love God – or all the Democrats who’ve been told they do.

I’d wager a few folks at DU don’t like being lumped in with them dang ‘ol Bible thumpers …

Professor Blather on October 29, 2006 at 9:52 PM

HAROLD FORD, JR.: My friend Lincoln Davis who chairs our campaign says there are, there’s one big difference between us and misfortunate Republicans when it comes to our faith: he said that Republicans fear the Lord; he said Democrats fear AND love the Lord.

Notice how he used weasel words, and was just repeating what his “friend Lincoln Davis” said? So if he gets in trouble, he can just say that he was quoting someone, and that he doesn’t feel that way himself? I think we’re learning a lot about Harold Ford, Jr., from this episode, and I’m less impressed all the time.

ReubenJCogburn on October 29, 2006 at 10:35 PM

So according to Ford Jr., Democrats fear the Lord? When have we ever seen evidence of this? How can a political party, who fuels the racial devide in this country, because they need it in order to stay in power be a party who fears the Lord? How a can party who plays on the fears of seniors, the sick, racial and sexual minorities possibly be a party who fears the Lord? The only thing they fear is losing power. And the only thing they love is gaining or keeping power. That’s all! The only time they ever bring up God is during elections. After the elections they spend their time screaming about the seperation of Church and state. “Happy Holidays but don’t you dare say Merry Christmas. Take down the Ten Commandments from our courthouse walls. Keep Bible’s out of schools. But instead, why don’t we teach the Koran in the name of diversity and religious understanding?” Yes, they are indeed a party who fears the Lord. That’s the funniest part of this whole article.

Joshua P. Allem on October 29, 2006 at 10:38 PM

Oh, and just imagine if a Republican said something like that.

Bryan, you just nailed it. I believe they would have ridden such a comment for a week on network news and in major papers across the country as if it were some national issue of Republicans questioning the faith of Democrats.

More importantly, don’t anyone buy this moderate crap. You don’t know what this guy thinks because he’s like every other Democrat. He goes with what the polls say and doesn’t care about anything but power. Just listen to him and you can see nothing genuine a bout this fake trust fund baby.

RightWinged on October 29, 2006 at 10:39 PM

Bob Corker is such a vastly superior candidate to Harold Ford Jr. that I have no idea why Ann Coulter likes Harold Ford unless she has the hots for him, which could be it.

Christoph on October 29, 2006 at 10:46 PM

What about us agnostics who think that God’s biggest private joke was creating a being with the intellectual incapacity to determine whether “He” exists or not?

Concerning Ford’s “Lord”-ing it over the opposition:

I love it!

And I fear we may come close to destroying this world in a battle with those who think their idea of “God” (Allah) is truer than anyone else’s.

I’m willing to simply say “Be decent“, whatever the hell is going on teleologically, because it makes for a safer neighborhood, “God(s)” or no.

(Meanwhile, study Comparative Religion, Philosophy/Epistemolgy, Psychology, History, Biology, Paleontology, Astrophysics, and all of the other little things that those busy nattering about whose-God-is-Bigger-than-Whose tend to give too short a shrift to. Short shrifts suck.)

And be sure to vote for Strength and Survival.

Not FLEE NOW, PAY LATER.

profitsbeard on October 29, 2006 at 11:04 PM

Although it’s negative, Ford is getting a LOT of ink and press lately, and that’s NOT a good sign for Corker. The Ford political family is notorious here in TN. Scandal only brings them votes for some reason.

The GOP has a great ad running here that states Ford missed 360+ votes during his tenure in Congress. Run that ad more often GOP! Talk about that issue more often Mr. Corker! The “controversial racist ad” was so entertaining it only made Ford into a TV star here in TN. Come on GOP, come on Corker, it’s time to show us what you’re made of!

realVerse on October 29, 2006 at 11:05 PM

Something to consider is that he probably didn’t know there was a camera running. Corker’s campaign has been “tracking” him regularly to try and catch him in a misstep. Guess they scored.

Were I running against Rep. Ford, I would declare open season on his religious faith. I don’t mean that I would muckrake and look for dirt to prove that he isn’t a Christian, because it can’t and shouldn’t work that way. It’s impossible to prove someone isn’t a Christian. But Ford opened the door to making religion a valid topic of the campaign, and I’d take him to task at every turn based on exactly that.

Most of the arguments that would serve have already been posted, no need to be repetitive.

The Ford family is corrupt, has been for decades. It was inevitable that once there was some pressure, Harold Jr. would blunder. RightWinged is correct, you can’t believe his pseudo-conservative stance on all these issues. They are 180 degrees from his father’s votes, and dad moved back from Florida to help run the campaign.

Freelancer on October 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM

Machiavelli said that while it is good for a prince to be loved, nevertheless, if one must choose, it is better to be feared than loved, for “they” decide whether to love “you,” but you control whether they fear you. However, he adds that although a prince may seek to be feared and not loved, he must avoid being hated. Some of us think Machiavelli had the audacity to offer advice to God; if so, it was unsolicited advice, needless to say.

Kralizec on October 30, 2006 at 7:20 AM

If you’re not a Christian, I suppose, you would not realise how tacky Ford’s remark was.

Firstly it was underhanded (using the Andi Sullivan tactic of ‘hearsay’ to deniably say something that you want to.)

Secondly it was theologically unsound (it only makes sense from a non-christian standpoint, interestingly.)

Thirdly it demonstrates poor character. (Judge not… does he think he won’t be raked over the coals for this? Oh right- didn’t think he was on tape.)

He’s implying that both democrats and republicans fear the lord (A la Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Wisdom) but that only democrats Love the lord (A La Jesus’ first command: Love the Lord with…)

The problem? Its a horrendously sweeping and judgemental statement. It implies that one can love the lord simply by getting a ‘D’ on one’s voter reg card.

I’ll say it again. He’s saying that you can Love the Lord simply by getting a ‘D’ on your voter registration card.

That’s what we call a state religion. Case closed. Next?

(Note: yes, I am extrapolating. But its political season, so too bad.)

RiverCocytus on October 30, 2006 at 7:20 AM

Not sure if Harold Jr. realizes this or not, but he just sinned. Literally. In Matthew 7:1, Jesus said, “Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself.” Jesus wasn’t talking about judging others’ actions, He was saying it is a sin to judge another’s love for the LORD. Then He talks about taking the plank out of your own eye before you try to remove the speck from another’s eye.

BigOrangeAxe on October 30, 2006 at 8:35 AM

The Democrat account is morally bankrupt and willfully foolhardy, IF what Harold claims about himself is true, then he isn’t helping prop them up, they are dragging him down. He must have missed the lesson in Church about bad company corrupting good morals…

NRA4Freedom on October 30, 2006 at 10:24 AM

I’m with Bryan, I have always liked Harold Ford Jr. (for a Democrat)

I always find it interesting that as long as a candidate is black he can do commercials from Church, speak of loving the Lord more, and campaign in Churches and not only do the media ignore it, but so do the Democrats who normally call all Christians rightwing and intolerant.

It’s like some religious pass a black candidate gets.

Fox News should do a story on why this is so.

Rightwingsparkle on October 30, 2006 at 10:59 AM

Misfortunate Republicans” !?!?!?
And the Lofty Literate Left gives Bush problems…?

naliaka on October 30, 2006 at 11:26 AM

Harold Ford Jr.’s campaign manager is NOT the authority on who loves God. The Bible is. It states:
Jn 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
Jn 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me
1 Jn 2:3 And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments

Now ask youself “Who does a better job of keeping God’s commandments?” ‘Nuff said. The answer is obvious.

CyberCipher on October 30, 2006 at 12:40 PM

With politicians so willing to pander, Christians would do well to remember to be Christians first. Being a democrat or republican should be way, way down the line … somewhere well after being a decent human being.

What bothers me about Ford’s comments is his attempt to play Christians against each other. He’s not the first to try that and he won’t be the last. I hope we’re bigger than that.

It’s easy to get caught up in the argument and forget the fundamental Christian principles: love and obedience to Him, love and kindness to others.

cyrano on October 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM

How much more wrong can he be? Demoncrats neither love god nor fear him. To love God is to obey him. Every card carrying demoncrat is opposed to God in our lives and are deadset against Christianity in particular. If they truly feared God they would repent from the agenda of promoting homosexuality which is an abomination ( Gods word not mine). To support the gay agenda is a direct confrontation of God.

Guardian on January 25, 2007 at 10:13 PM