Saturday open thread

posted at 2:54 pm on October 28, 2006 by Ian

Drudge headline: The Purell Campaign

CNN seeing the light?

hdean.jpg

Huffington Post unsure if they want the US to win in Iraq.

It was Chris Matthews week at Newsbusters.

Speaking of which, it seems the big oaf forgot that guy that used to be Vice President’s name.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was neither Mormon, nor a tabernacle, nor a choir. Discuss.

UPDATE: Oops, I guess I have been living under a cave. The Cards won the World Series last night.

Comments

What kind of reactions are you getting to your “I will not submit” merchandise? I am finding most people scratch their heads upon seeing the bumper sticker and I have to explain that Islam means “I submit.”

Valiant on October 28, 2006 at 3:00 PM

Unless you’ve been living in a cave you’ve pro’lly hear that St. Louis won the World Series yesterday night.
I’m a transplanted Chicagoan and Cubs fan who’s been veryvocal in my support of Detroit this week.
Because I live in a Cubs cap my husband convinced me to switch it for the next few days so I won’t get a butt kicking from some drunken C-Birds fan.
I’ve already been given the bird once.

So-I’ll piss of peacenik leftys instead.
I’m wearing a USMC ballcap now. Heheh.

SAY NO TO ADMENDMENT 2 ON NOVEMBER 7!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 28, 2006 at 3:05 PM

That screencap is priceless, Ian. I’d put it on the homepage if I were you.

see-dubya on October 28, 2006 at 3:10 PM

“It is not clear when politicians became so awash in the gel. In one semifamous cleanliness lapse in the 1992 presidential campaign, Bill Clinton”

Some things, you can’t ever seem to get clean of.

Like a bad dirty penny they keep coming back.

Speakup on October 28, 2006 at 3:51 PM

O’Reilly tried to reduce the Iraq war at one point, saying “Do you want the United States to win in Iraq? It’s an easy question,” to which Letterman replied, “It’s not easy for me because I’m thoughtful.”

Oh for cryin’ out loud, is it alright to question his patriotism now?

I admit, I didn’t watch the video clip, I just read some exerpts, but this is wrong on sooooo many levels.

Maybe someone can help me out. According to the left, what is unpatriotic?

No, on second thought, don’t bother. I know what is patriotic. Dissent is patriotic. And thus, who is more patriotic that Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi?

EFG on October 28, 2006 at 3:55 PM

The Left would rather have a US defeat because it would help them gain control of the House and Senate and a better bid for the presidency. Letterman is just another confirmation that the Left will sacrifice the welfare of our nation for their own interests.

This same situation applies in particular when it comes to being a patriot, advocating identification as citizen of the United States. They would rather tear down any thread of nationalism, of patriotism, and have everyone become a “world citizen”.

And the MSM wonders why they are in decline.

omegaram on October 28, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Ditto on the screenshot. That’s a keeper, Ian.

mikeyboss on October 28, 2006 at 4:18 PM

A BIG congrats to David Eckstein for winning MVP. Short guys get the job done.

infidel4life on October 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Today at 5pm EST Fox News will air “Obsession: Radical Islams’s War Against The West – a riveting new documentary that exposes the threat of Radical Islam in a way never seen before!”

They will show it during “Big Story Weekend”

You can watch a 12-minute ABRIDGED version of the multi-award winning documentary Here on Google Video

TheBigOldDog on October 28, 2006 at 4:32 PM

I just remembered:
Daylight Savings Time ends tomm.
Don’t forget to turn your clocks back tonight.
thanks.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 28, 2006 at 4:44 PM

Personal note:

After working midnight shift for the last 3 years, I’m finally going back to day shift……I’m sure to be a less cranky person from now on.

And Howard Dean is a terrorist.

quax1 on October 28, 2006 at 4:52 PM

I was hoping to see the howard dean/terrorist picture in video form. I wanted to see how this happened from CNN.

lorien1973 on October 28, 2006 at 5:31 PM

Tabernacle Choir? Your facts are wrong, or I just don’t see the humor.

Free Constitution on October 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM

You don’t see the humor, I think. Its from an SNL skit a long time ago.

lorien1973 on October 28, 2006 at 5:58 PM

If you look closely at the photo that is clearly Karl Roves hand feeding the ammo into the MG.

Limerick on October 28, 2006 at 6:20 PM

The more I look at the picture, the more I dont understand. Why is there an extra arm feeding ammo into the gun? It’s a suited arm, not a military outfit. Its very weird. I need a video clip!

lorien1973 on October 28, 2006 at 6:27 PM

A catfish is neither a cat or a…oh wait, nevermind.

vcferlita on October 28, 2006 at 6:55 PM

Rocky Mountain Oysters are neither rocky, nor oysters.

Discuss.

EFG on October 28, 2006 at 7:20 PM

Maybe someone can help me out. According to the left, what is unpatriotic?

…think of what would make a 3-year-old blubber. As the Left is childish, both in demeanor and in outlook, the parallel is unmistakable.

We can’t have homosexuals marry? We can’t have open borders? We can’t have the House back? We can’t have decriminalized drubs? We can’t at least have decriminalized marijuana? We can’t have abortion on demand? (notice the “on demand” part, almost describing flailing arms and pouting lips) We can’t have any and all of our dissent swallowed uncritically? We can’t have ice cream for breakfast?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! That’s UNPATRIOTIC!

Puritan1648 on October 28, 2006 at 7:54 PM

…Howard Dean is a terrorist.

…a terrorist uses terror to get his way.

Dean is more of a sophist.

(Someone with book-larnin’ once told me that was another word for a b*llsh*tter. I’ve been savin’ it up.)

Puritan1648 on October 28, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Aerodynamically, hummingbirds shouldn’t fly.

Aerodynamically, helicopters shouldn’t fly.

What do you get when you crossbreed helicopters with hummingbirds? Discuss.

Puritan1648 on October 28, 2006 at 8:03 PM

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

On a more serious subject, the essence of the objection to the War on Terror is that it’s human nature to not appreciate what DIDN’T happen. Had we intervened, and stopped 9/11 from happening, it would be all but forgotten now.

Case in point; a plot to attack the Library Tower, a thousand foot skyscraper in LA, was supposedly thwarted. Astute individuals, like most who are regulars to this site, and the like, remember the story. But ask any liberal about the incident, and it’s unlikely they’ll know of what you speak. If they do acknowledge it, they’ll blow it off without a thought.

We can’t worry about what the casual observers think. Remember the polls that show how few Americans can name even one Supreme Court member? Those same lame brains make up the vast majority of Dems and libs.

Is there a more thankless job than trying to protect a
bunch of feeble minded ingrates? What a bunch of pouting little brats, mad at mean old W for not letting them play in the road.
To say we only make more terrorists by fighting back, is like saying enforcing the law makes crime worse.

Indy Mark on October 28, 2006 at 8:11 PM

“Liberals”, “Progressives” and “Democrats” do not want Liberty, Progress or Democracy for anybody but themselves.

DiscusssssssTING!

Tony737 on October 28, 2006 at 8:42 PM

Better to have American Soldiers killing terrorists in the middle east than middle eastern terrorists killing civilians in America.

Discuss

Tony737 on October 28, 2006 at 8:45 PM

Confirmsmy belief – Matthews smokedtoo much dope in the 60′s and still indulges. Explains his stupid pasted on grin, his inability to let anyone else finish a sentence, his wacked opinions and whats his name. Chris is living in a permanent flashback to 1969. PURPLE HAZE!

iam7545 on October 28, 2006 at 9:06 PM

Yeah, I’m virtually positive that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is at least one of those things if not all three. It would be my like that the first time I go to Salt Lake that the tabernacle would be “closed for renovations”. But the convention center is still impressive.

apostle26 on October 28, 2006 at 10:33 PM

Playboy’s latest issue has an article (not mentioned on the cover for some reason… I wonder why…) about The Threat from Radical Mohammadism (and crazed jihadist imams in Jordan versus state-paid “moderates”)titled: “ISLAM IN THE CRUCIBLE“, and it ends by saying that a pop song being played in the ME, by some Iraqi musician named al-Sahir in collaboration with Lenny Kravitz, that has the refrain “We Want Peace”, will solve everything.

(About as convincing as tacking on a smiley face over the last image in the Nick Berg snuff video.)

Discuss?

annoyinglittletwerp-

This weekend is also “Sharia No-light Savings Time“, where you set your clocks back 1400 hundred years …and leave them there.

Indy Mark-

I know it as: “I’d rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy“. (When you can no longer say it coherently, you have to start paying for your own rounds.)

And, finally, a Limerick for Limerick:

There once was a “prophet”, Mohammed,
Who liked little girls tucked in his bed.
He “wed” one who was 6,
And then made her turn tricks,
Saying Allah had nicely provided.

profitsbeard on October 28, 2006 at 11:32 PM

Mormon: the popular name given to a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Tabernacle: any place or house of worship, esp. one designed for a large congregation

Choir: a company of singers, esp. an organized group employed in church service

Narrowly defined, the people who sing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir fit all three criteria. They most definitely are Mormon. I don’t think you can be part of the choir if your not. They originally performed in the Tabernacle in Salt Lake, which was a building designed as a place of worship for a large congregation. I believe that they still perform there occasionally. Last, they sing songs of praise and worship to God and the Lamb, and are employed in the service of their church.

(definitions courtesy of dictionary.com, your online dictionary, thesaurus, and encyclopedia)

Troy Rasmussen on October 28, 2006 at 11:57 PM

profitsbeard……..

that ain’t a limerick…that was a Danish cartoon I saw at the Pope’s last speech.

Limerick on October 29, 2006 at 12:31 AM

profitsbeard – Thanks, that IS a better version of that saying. I originally heard the phrase from R.E.O. Speedwagon (dates me), when in an interview, they said that had been a working title for their live album, that eventually became, “You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can’t Tuna Fish.”

By the way, your limerick….it needs work.

Indy Mark on October 29, 2006 at 12:48 AM

There once was a senator from Mass;
who was out on the hunt for a lass.
He lucked out and found her;
the drunken lout drowned her!
Why wasn’t that the end of his ass?

I think I’d be more afraid if it really WAS Dean handling that RPK in the photo. Yeeeaaarrghh!!

Ahh, yes, the National League gets some respect back after Trevor Howard coughed up a furball in the ninth at the All-Star Game.

Freelancer on October 29, 2006 at 3:21 AM

Lower Michigan is loaded with middle and lower class people, but we never see the democrat Governor, or other high ranking liberal muckety mucks down here. The Republican candidates running for Governor [DeVos], and the Senate seat [Michael Bouchard] showed up as did several other Republican candidates. Heck, I even got to talk to all of them!

I thought the democrats were the party of the little guy, but they sure don’t care to visit us down here in Lower Michigan.

Do not forget to vote on Nov. 7th.!

DannoJyd on October 29, 2006 at 10:57 AM

Indy Mark-

It’s hard to rhyme anything with Mohammed that doesn’t involve behead, pure dread, or all dead.

And, since I was aiming for the pedophile and not the garden-variety-homicidal-Jim Jonesian-”prophet”, some tough limericking.

(If you accent it carefully, it almost works…)

Maybe:

Mohammad, he liked his gals young’un,
So that he could prevent them from runnin’.
Like a camel he’d hobble
Every kiddie in Kabul,
Then do what he wished for the funnin’.

(No wonder he assassinated that woman poet… Asma Bint Marwan.)

profitsbeard on October 29, 2006 at 4:59 PM

For young ones, Mohommed was yearning.
While setting the infidels burning.
’twas either the bed
or off with your head,
For thus was the price paid for spurning.

honest to God, I almost typed “spurwing”.

topmaker on October 29, 2006 at 6:14 PM

I’d rather have a bowl o’ soup than Ebola virus.

mikeyboss on October 29, 2006 at 6:16 PM

For young ones, Mohommed was yearning.
While setting the infidels burning.

The left doesn’t get
that Allah’s here yet,
I find that a bit disconcerting.

(now, is that really a word?)

topmaker on October 29, 2006 at 6:18 PM

For young ones, Mohommed was yearning.
While setting the infidels burning.

The West only stares
as Islam prepares
Imam number 12, soon returning.

a rhyming dictionary and a limmerick rhyme scheme, makes for addictive overkill of bandwidth. Sorry AllahP, I will cease.

topmaker on October 29, 2006 at 6:22 PM

Maybe someone can help me out. According to the left, what is unpatriotic?

What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility … a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

This is one of my favorite quotes from a great American, Adlai Stevenson. Unpatriotic would be the opposite.

honora on October 30, 2006 at 12:52 PM

Based on that very good definition, I would say that to suggest we leave Iraq before our mission is over is unpatriotic. It is our national responsibility to clean up the mess we started.

E L Frederick on October 30, 2006 at 2:10 PM