Video: Press corps in “frenzy” over waterboarding

posted at 2:34 pm on October 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

Earlier this week:

Q Would you agree a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: It’s a no-brainer for me, but for a while there, I was criticized as being the Vice President “for torture.” We don’t torture. That’s not what we’re involved in. We live up to our obligations in international treaties that we’re party to and so forth. But the fact is, you can have a fairly robust interrogation program without torture, and we need to be able to do that.

Which brings us to this.

What does Cheney’s answer have to do with the fact that he once shot someone in the face? Everything, my friends. Everything.

The clip’s been edited to remove most of Snow’s answers. All they do is soak up camera time from the real stars anyway.

Comments

Press on the run, hey lets bring up water. Thanks I’ll have a drink, I am thirsty!

kara26 on October 27, 2006 at 2:41 PM

The best thing about this is Helen Thomas looking on.

Alex K on October 27, 2006 at 2:42 PM

Disgusting display of media…

Wade on October 27, 2006 at 2:44 PM

I wasn’t aware waterboarding consisted of dunking people in water. I thought it consisted of putting a head below the bodies level and placing a rag over their mouth starting the gag reflex and making people think they are drowning.

I thought there was a difference.

Keljeck on October 27, 2006 at 2:47 PM

Poor Tony Snow. What this “unbiased” press corp doesnt understand is our interogation techniques are a day at Club Med compared with the enemies “techniques”.

infidel on October 27, 2006 at 2:48 PM

I hear Mary Joe Kopechne was unavailable for comment.

blogRot on October 27, 2006 at 2:49 PM

My God! These people are complete idiots. Do they not realize that they come across as complete mental midgets when they act like this?

DaveS on October 27, 2006 at 2:50 PM

I like the way Tony just stands there and lets these morons make total asses of themselves.

infidel4life on October 27, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Reading too much into the VEEP’s comments, perhaps?

It’s called PROTECTING THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!

Ofcourse it’s a “No Brainer”. Do whatever you can to get informaiton from any terrorist scum.

That’s why I voted for you. You have my blessing.

Show no mercy.

Kini on October 27, 2006 at 2:57 PM

The press corps are about the most useless people on the planet.

wrath187 on October 27, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Infidel, If I may offer a change…

Poor Tony Snow. What this “unbiased” press corp doesnt understand is our interogation techniques are a day at Club Med compared to having to field their idiotic questions.with the enemies “techniques”.

infidel on October 27, 2006 at 2:48 PM

BacaDog on October 27, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Beltway Day Care!

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 2:58 PM

having to listen to the idiots in this clip is a more effective torture than a “dunk in the water”.

mrflashman on October 27, 2006 at 3:00 PM

Seems like Kalid Shiek had it better than Tony.

infidel on October 27, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Every time someone buys a newspaper/magazine or watches the msm they indirectly support, condone, promote this type of behavior. The best thing us “nobodies” can do is cancel all of our subscriptions get our news from HotAir and MM ONLY. ;-)

-FFOG

Fogpig on October 27, 2006 at 3:06 PM

.. AND get ..

Fogpig on October 27, 2006 at 3:07 PM

I thought Helen Thomas died. Guess not.

Scotsman on October 27, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Helen Thomas the definition of torture?

infidel on October 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM

Waterboarding doesn’t involve “dunking,” and Cheney wasn’t the one who initially used the phrase “dunk in water.” Since he knows the difference, he may not have associated a hypothetical “dunking” (which no one claims has been done) with waterboarding. Idiot reporters do not know the difference, however. Hence, today’s spectacle as they valiantly attempt to slay their strawman.

Coyote D. on October 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM

What does dunk really mean? Go ask a donut.

If you ask me, if you really want to see real torture, go stand shoulder to shoulder with Tony Snow. With the dead and moronic goons like Helen and Gregory attacking you near daily , there is nothing worse.
You can dunk me in water, dunk my head in the toilet, waterboard me, but PLEASE never make me answer questions fom the likes of those people. The recurring nightmares alone would kill me. TONY, HOW DO YOU DO IT?

shooter on October 27, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Q Would you agree a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?
THE VICE PRESIDENT: It’s a no-brainer for me…

AHA! SO YOUR INTO TORTURE! WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY “a dunk in the water” if not torture! GOTCHA! MUWAHAHAHA!

The lib reporters think they’ve outsmarted Cheney with this childish trap.

stonemeister on October 27, 2006 at 3:13 PM

Dunk in the water torture? Terrorist don’t like baths it would seam. Either that or the press has hydrophobia.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 27, 2006 at 3:16 PM

I thought Helen Thomas died. Guess not.

Scotsman

I’m still not so sure.

jdpaz on October 27, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Why isn’t anyone standing up and announcing water boarding isn’t torture? Why can’t anyone stand up for the facts?!

The press just makes me sick.

Secondly, when has “dunking in water” not mean dunking in water?

1 = 1
x = x
Dunking in water = Dunking in water.
Helen Thomas = Ugly.

msipes on October 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM

I believe in water boarding for these liberal journalists.
Could we please just fight the enemy without being hamstrung by our own people.

Gooch on October 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM

“Dunk in the water” has nothing to do with waterboarding…THEY’RE BAPTIZING THE PRISONERS. There’s no guarantee that it helps make them nice and peaceful, but it’s worth a shot, right?! I’m sure the liberals will be relieved to find this out.

Imagine if the media was as adamant about fighting terrorists as they are about protecting them.

Come on people, U.S. spells “us”.

Lone Star on October 27, 2006 at 3:28 PM

And they wonder why they are losing their audiences and advertiser and their employers are going out of business…

TheBigOldDog on October 27, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Geez, what a useless bunch of juveniles. Real intelligent journalism there. What is wrong with these people? Tony should de-credential some of these people and tell their editors to start sending serious journalists up there. These aren’t news conferences anymore, they’re a semantic debate circus. My disdain for the MSM grows deeper every day.

CP on October 27, 2006 at 3:31 PM

I think what he meant by dunking was baptizing. He has the best interests of the terrorists in mind, convert them to Christianity and baptize them!

Gooch on October 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Ya beat me to it Lone Star.

Gooch on October 27, 2006 at 3:33 PM

There are at least four techniques I know that are called “waterboarding”.

One of them I’d call torture; it involves strapping the subject to a diving board, unattached to anything, on the side of a pool and dipping his head underwater. If the questioners don’t pull him up, he drowns.

The others are more in the nature of a “trick” that uses the body reflexes to induce similar feelings in the subject. There is little danger to the subject, and I’m not sure it should be called either torture or waterboarding.

htom on October 27, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Waterboarding? What does surfing have to do with this? ‘sarcasm’

vcferlita on October 27, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Htom,

Could you illustrate the difference between the four techniques on Helen?

…….just want to make sure, and I learn better with visual references.

BacaDog on October 27, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Tony needs a raise.

n2sooners on October 27, 2006 at 3:46 PM

What a bunch of dumb asses. The press corp is worse than a joke. That ideot woman needs to be slapped with a dead fish. What utter boneheads. We need to make those stooges hunan shields. Then they might have some usefullness.

A good thrashing with a stringer of hardhead catfish would be a good start.

Shmo on October 27, 2006 at 3:46 PM

This is all the press has? Pretending dunking the 9-11 mastermind in water is like slamming someone into an iron maiden?

Pa. Thet. Ic.

The cognitive dissonance is palpable in that room. Way to go Snow.

Good Lt on October 27, 2006 at 3:56 PM

The Cheney questioner thought they were being clever and speaking in code (nod, nod, wink, wink) by asking about “a dunk in the water.” I am betting Cheney answered the question literally: If you dunked someone in the water and they gave up information and that was all it took, hell yeah. Makes everyone’s life easier.

The reporters are reading the nod, nod, wink, wink tone of the question thinking they have tripped the VP. They can’t see it any other way because they don’t want to.

Mallard T. Drake on October 27, 2006 at 3:57 PM

The old press room was built over FDR’s swimming pool. Too bad they moved out of it a few weeks ago. I have this feeling, watching Snow smile as these nitwits rambled on and on and on, that he wished that they were in the old press room, that the pool under the floor was still filled with water, and that he had his hand on the lever that would open up the floor under the reporters.

Now THAT would have been a press conference!

georgej on October 27, 2006 at 3:59 PM

…remember this the next time you read or hear any self-justifying reporter say anything which even sounds like “the press isn’t biased”.

This was disgraceful.

The establishment press is certain that this administration is lying in everything they say, and they want to be the ones whose interrogations wear their spokesmen down…maybe they should try waterboarding….

I like one of Snow’s comebacks: “Are you doing standup now?”

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 4:00 PM

Did you notice how Tony Snow indirectly referred to the reporters as activists and there was no complaint. He said something to the effect “You all are the ones who want Gitmo shut down.” Wait, aren’t reporters supposed to report the facts without angles or bias. They aren’t supposed to be influencing policy, only reporting on it. Yet, when Tony calls them on it, they don’t object. Bias, what media bias?

Mallard T. Drake on October 27, 2006 at 4:00 PM

All they do is soak up camera time from the real stars anyway.

LOL!!!!!

The Ugly American on October 27, 2006 at 4:02 PM

I thought Helen Thomas died. Guess not.

…I saw the same clip you saw…you sure about that?

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 4:02 PM

That clip was great! I laughed my ass off.

But let’s face it. I’m pretty damn sure Cheny meant waterboarding when he refered to “a dunk in the water”.

But for whatever reason, we don’t like to say that. OK, fair enough.

But then to watch the media go bat-s**t crazy over that was pure comedy gold.

Best part: Question “What does the VP mean by ‘a dunk in the water’?”

Answer: “A ‘dunk in the water’ means a dunk in the water.”

That’s gold Tony, pure gold!

EFG on October 27, 2006 at 4:02 PM

I noticed Tony drinking from a paper cup during the interview.

What was in that cup? Water, perhaps?

Perhaps Tony’s answer could have been:

“You wanna know what a dunk in the water means? Do ya? Well here ya go. Here’s what it means! (throws water in the face of irritating reporter) Any other questions? I didn’t think so.”

EFG on October 27, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Dunking booth…wacky carnival fun or evil torture device? Quick! Someone call CBS and tell them there are hundreds of images on the net of everyday Americans being tortured! Oh, the humanity!

CP on October 27, 2006 at 4:08 PM

Lets RENDITION Helen Thomas!

Soothsayer on October 27, 2006 at 4:09 PM

…this raises a good point: did Cheney even utter the words “dunk in water”, or was the phrase broached by a reporter? Seems he agreed that it was a no-brainer, but “dunk in water” wasn’t even a quote from him.

So, yapping and nipping at Snow like a bunch of rabid Chihuahuas to “deconstruct” the VPs words — when they weren’t his — and demanding that the administration do the deconstructing (justifying an elected body with a popular mandate to a self-selecting and self-righteous body with no popular mandate) is hubris in the extreme.

…it must be racism…that’s the popular flavor lately…yeah…that’s the ticket…racism….

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 4:10 PM

A day at the kindergarten, with Tony. Best thing that ever happened to Tony is this job.

The press corps’ nightmare is that this “dumb” President named Mr. Cheney as his VP. First, being blinded, they assumed that he did it because he didn’t have a capable brain of his own. Once they woke up to the realization that Bush II impeachment means “Cheney for President” they went bonkers…the agony/ecstacy continues.

Helen Thomas can’t bash Israel on waterboarding, North Korea, Foley, immigration…therefore is forlorn, and just looks on.

Entelechy on October 27, 2006 at 4:16 PM

If you refuse to answer a simple question, of course the press is going to be all over you.

Reporter: If a “dunk in the water” doesn’t mean waterboarding, what does it mean?

Snow: I’ts nothing.

I thought the gun accident comment was out of bounds, however.

Constantine on October 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM

When gazing at the crag like, rock faced, lunar surfaced, haunted mansionesque visage of Helen Thomas, one cannot help but think that the Islamonutbags, might just have a point with the whole BURKA thing.

Soothsayer on October 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM

Is that some sort of weird alien sitting next to the shiny little man?

benrand on October 27, 2006 at 4:22 PM

Here is an article from the Connection newspapers, a free “community” newspaper that is sent all over the Fairfax County area, a large county in the suburbs of Washington, every Friday.

In today’s edition, Helen Thomas calls herself “a flaming liberal.” At least she is honest, but is she a journalist? The White House should just kick her out.

januarius on October 27, 2006 at 4:29 PM

TONY SNOW, Holds his own against a virtual onslaught,from former dwellers of the TOWER OF BABLE!

sonnyspats1 on October 27, 2006 at 4:30 PM

Sadly, with the constant droning media exposure of ‘our tactics’ I’m sure the islamos are already including training that will neutralize ‘our tactics.’ Maybe then we can resort to beheading them. That could improve enlistment numbers. Count me in.

Griz on October 27, 2006 at 4:30 PM

My mistake- it was a “raving liberal.” Raving, definitely.

januarius on October 27, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Those people are retarded. I really like Tony Snow, I think his appointment was genius… Karl Rove genius.

p0s3r on October 27, 2006 at 4:38 PM

That was 3 minutes of my life that I will never get back. *sigh*

lan astaslem on October 27, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Ah, I knew you’d come through with this video AP. Folks, be glad you just got the highlights and didn’t have to endure the actual thing live.. it was painful.

But here’s the issue. We waterboard. We waterboarded KSM and saved lives. It’s not torture, but American hating “human rights” groups consider it torture and would make a huge stink if we admitted to it. That, and that alone, is what this is about. The media is determined to get someone to admit that we waterboard so heading in to the elections they can scream “GEORGE BUSH AND THE REPUBLICANS ARE TORTURING!!!”

Again, this is about nothing else. By the way, did anyone catch Bill O’Reilly on Oprah? He actually discussed this briefly, and hit the nail on the head.

RightWinged on October 27, 2006 at 5:21 PM

One reporter says,”Vice President Cheney walked up to a senator and cussed him. He shot somebody in the face, he’s not perfect.”

The press corps laughs hysterically. Wow.

Sorry to be a prude, but that’s really unprofessional.

Matticus Finch on October 27, 2006 at 5:27 PM

Lord almighty! I couldn’t watch it so I went over to the White House site and read the transcript. Tony Snow deserves a medal!

Ann on October 27, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Yet, when Tony calls them on it, they don’t object. Bias,
what media bias?
Mallard T. Drake on October 27, 2006 at 4:00 PM

NICE CATCH MTDrake!

And M Finch, I completely agree.

shooter on October 27, 2006 at 5:44 PM

I’m with Matticus, the room full of press corp laughter over the accidental shooting incident demonstrated just how hateful and biased these so-called “journalists” are.

I’d like to see Tony come before them tomorrow and announce that W. has resigned, Cheney is the new president, and watch the entire press room full of buffoons keel over from cardiac arrest.

fogw on October 27, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Q. What did he mean by a dunk in water?
A. He meant it was a no-brainer.
Q. But… but what did he mean by a dunk in water?
A. He meant it was a no-brainer.

Context, people. Context. He said it was a no-brainer TO HIM, and then the very next thing out of his mouth was BUT. Doesn’t that suggest actual policy differs from what he personally thinks?

RoveOnVacation on October 27, 2006 at 6:21 PM

I hope they are paying Tony big bucks for that job. He is earning every penny of it.

Maxx on October 27, 2006 at 7:24 PM

I was listening to NPR on the way home today and the guy on All Things Considered said that Cheney “supports the torture technique known as waterboarding.” So it’s a fact that waterboarding is a form of torture now?

Kevin M on October 27, 2006 at 7:44 PM

If the Lord ever wanted to give the world a enema, he would stick the tube in the press corp.

Wade on October 27, 2006 at 8:05 PM

…in the current overheated atmosphere of American democracy, the press is under three delusions:

* They either think that they have to be cool, or they think that they *are* cool, and

* They think that they have to be amusing, in no small part because the Daily Show sets their professional expectations, and finally

* They think that people actually believe them.

I cry silent, bitter tears for the self-deluded…once in a while…when I remember to….

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 8:55 PM

The White House Press Corps, by engaging in this “gum up the works” questioning interferes, even shuts down a normal exchange of information which the White House is able and willing to share with the American people. The White House Press Corps is obstructionist, and is hardly any better than the Columbia University agitators who stormed the stage and shouted down the Minuteman border security speakers. They collude with each other to hold certain pre-arranged speaking points and block any discussion of anything else. What is the nature of their monopoly on that White House briefing room that the American public cannot see fresh faces and intelligent and informed questions about a range of topics?

naliaka on October 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM

Can’t we just give Tony Snow a watercannon?

For a most literal reply for such stunning lamebrains.

Limerick-

“Beltway Day Care”

LOL!

(I’m assumimg you forgot the word “Adult” on purpose.)

The Oedipus Press Squeaks again.

profitsbeard on October 28, 2006 at 12:01 AM

RoveOnVacation on October 27, 2006 at 6:21 PM

I caught that too, but that’s debatable. While I agree that could be an end all, I think it’s more important that we note that we are and should be waterboarding because we don’t consider it to be torture, however we don’t talk about it because it aides the terrorists, and because the “human rights” America haters will stop at nothing to undermine the President and the war effort.

RightWinged on October 28, 2006 at 1:05 AM

There’s a phrase I know that describes the WH Press Corps… damn! It’s on the tip of my tongue, what was it? *snap* Oh yeah!

Petulant school children.

If not out gunned, Snow definately has them out classed. And this far into my President’s continuing communications nightmare battling a hostile, adversarial press? I’ll take what I can get.

Kadnine on October 28, 2006 at 2:22 AM

Hey, waterboardings o.k., but don’t you DARE give ‘em a wedgie!

I think that’s what they (the reporters) hate about this “torture”, it reminds them of their high school days, gettin’ a wedgie, havin’ their lunch money taken, gettin’ their heads dunked in the toilet, bein’ stuffed into their lockers, it brings back very painful memories for them. THAT’S why they became reporters, so that they can make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else, dammit!

Tony737 on October 28, 2006 at 3:49 AM

Do you think these arrogant children in the media would ever be so eager to find the truth about what al Qaeda does?

Of course not.

marknicodemo on October 28, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Anyone who thinks the vast majority of the press are bright needs to look at this clip as an example of how bitter they are about their jobs, and that they’re just a bunch of hacks.

asc85 on October 28, 2006 at 10:31 PM

SNL couldn’t produce a better product than the
Whitehouse press in action.

Texyank on October 28, 2006 at 11:49 PM

I think it was pretty clear the VP thinks giving jihadists a Swirly is a “no brainer”. The administration is still undecided if a Wet Willie is considered “torture”. I advocate dodge ball myself, nothing terrifies like a hundred rubber balls bearing down at you.

Taleena on October 30, 2006 at 3:26 PM