Video: Matthews cries raaaaaaaacism; Update: Matthews says Michael Steele needs to appear “child-like,” “unthreatening”

posted at 9:59 am on October 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

How can we lecture Sunnis and Shias about reconciliation when Republicans are running ads showing white women attracted to black men? Also, Rush Limbaugh going after Michael J. Fox — isn’t that sort of racist too?

I’ve goofed on southerners myself, but the media’s contempt for them is breathtaking.

Update: Eugene Robinson, who has the same absolute moral authority here as Michael J. Fox does on stem cells, lays it out:

There you have it: a black man, a white woman, more than a hint of sex. Viewers are left to fill in the blanks, and clearly the hope is that they will free-associate to a word like “miscegenation.” Or, if Republicans are lucky, something considerably worse.

I.e., he’s accusing the GOP of implying that Harold Ford is a rapist. Or rather, raaaaaaapist.

Update: Notes Mary K:

All of their theories, of course, are predicated on the idea that Tennesseans, and all Southern conservatives, are troglodytic racists who are boorish enough to vote against a man because he’s black and simultaneously sophisticated enough to pick up on very subtle coded political messages about his race.

Update: A southern congregation encounters the unholy spawn of a mixed-race union; do they stone the child — or do something worse? Find out in Mary K’s latest post, which lifts the Matthews video from YouTube instead of linking to it here at Hot Air. Will I hold it against her by not linking the new HamNation when it debuts this afternoon? Tune in later and find out!

Update: Spruiell was all over this yesterday. Not only is Matthews also playing up the sub-moronic nutroots racial paranoia over Corker’s “drums” radio ad, but he actually had this to say about Michael Steele’s ads:

I love the ads, my wife loves the ads, they’re really funny, some of them. And very unthreatening. An African-American guy, it seems, has to run an ad that’s so unthreatening that he’s almost child-like in his presentation, but it seems to be working.

Christopher Matthews, I dub thee raaaaaaaacist.

Update: Why is the left hammering the race card all of a sudden? Here’s why.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

P.S. Volunteer for service in your community!

sonnyspats1 on October 27, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Matthews is something Ted Kennedy crapped out after a typical night of heavy drinking and shellfish.

…weeeeeeeeeeeell…that’s for THAT mental picture….

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 1:24 PM

Maybe I’m naive but I thought the point of that anti-Ford ad was to paint him as a skirt chasing party boy lightweight. Would it have been better if the bunny girl was black in the ad?

greggish on October 27, 2006 at 1:25 PM

Would it have been better if the bunny girl was black in the ad?

Why should it make any difference if the point was he was a skirt chaser?

Wade on October 27, 2006 at 1:39 PM

The US is pretty racially charged, no?

GregH on October 27, 2006 at 11:11 AM

I would contend, no, Greg. I think that the spectre of racism is being kept alive and fed as needed by folks like jesse jackson, al-sharpton, and many others (almost all dems) who’ve deliberately misled and continue to mislead the Nation for their own very partisan political aspirations.

The inconvenient truth is that the GOP isn’t the racist party that we’re constantly painted to be.

techno_barbarian on October 27, 2006 at 1:40 PM

I swear, I think I hate Chris Matthews more than any other person on television.

Did anybody see when he interviewed Tony Snow the other day? Tony handed him his arse on a platter and Matthews was squirming like the little wuss we all know him as.

later.

wdlp1965 on October 27, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Il nostro dio italiano che ha denominato Allah…

For AP’s Irish half A rud is annamh is iontach – What is strange is wonderful.

I’m Transylvanian-born – what are you, if you ‘goof’ on me?

This ad, in a very clever way, reminds socially conservative christians that Ford was at a playboy party using an icon that everyone’d recognize. They juxtapose that with his church ad and find him wanting. Very effective, very memorable. Good political theater—no racism (except that which is imagined by desparate dems).

jdpaz on October 27, 2006 at 11:38 AM

jdpaz nailed the essence of the ad.

Matthews & co. are just preparing the masses for the “fraud” and “racism” “stealing the the 2006 election”.

Imagine Matthews on the night of Nov. 7, 2006, if the dems don’t win both houses…a good reason to switch to NBC just for a tad bit. He always hyperventilates on election nights – this time chances are good he’ll have a heart attack, either way.

Some day the Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, gays, will so wake up and realize that it was the Left which kept them in check, granting absolutely no favors, except grandiose talk, just for a ‘blanket’ vote. After that, it’s over for the dems.

Entelechy on October 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM

…first off, you’d think that southerners, who in the media’s view are poor, left-behind, uneducated white trash, would be the Democrats’ natural constituency.

…if the lie were true, that the Dems were the party of enlightenment, and could effectively communicate their altruism and general worthiness to rule, this’d be the case. Rednecks are as able as anyone to see the advantage of being on the butter side of the bread.

But, as the Dems ARE no more the “party of the working man” than the Republicans are the “party of the rich man”. I got those labels from my own dear mother early on, who also had piquant things to say about Eleanor Roosevelt “letting all those blacks (she used another term) into government”. Me oh my, the illusions we’re raised with….

As it happens, people, as ever, vote their self-interest first, and many of those redneck/cracker/hillbilly/NASCAR voter/”Confederate flag sticker on their pickup trucks” voters (as their commonly dismissively designated) do the same things their black neighbors do: vote for the guy who’s the worst from among an array of broken toys, the one who’ll do the least damage.

…as an aside, for those unfamiliar with the hillbilly element, you could always crack “Born Fighting”…about the Scots-Irish Presbyterians-cum-Baptists and Methodists in America. I wish that I could say that I recommend it, but I can’t. It’s tediously written, repetative, and not well thought out.

…it was written by old Jimmy Webb, by the way, also the author of “Fields of Fire” (which I would recommend)…oh, how the mighty have fallen….

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 1:44 PM

“Scratch a liberal….”

What incredibly arrogant nonsense from Matthews (former legislative aide for Tip O’Neill). Why should any black person act except as respecting his or her own conscience – but for the approval of Matthews or the DNC!

chsw

chsw on October 27, 2006 at 1:45 PM

He kept it private, and I never make it my business to ask people about their private parts.

I think that sounds like a fair practice

wytammic on October 27, 2006 at 1:50 PM

Republicans can air a campaign ad of pure static, and Demo’s would claim it is overt racism.

stonemeister on October 27, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Of course, stonemeister! Static is inherently racist! Haven’t you ever heard of “white noise”!

My cousin (white) is married to a black woman. So clearly he’s racist and she isn’t.

ReubenJCogburn on October 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM

This discussion about politically motivated racism has given me a flashback which I’ll try to keep short.

One afternoon, our front doorbell rang. We have a dog, a female Boxer, who goes absolutely ape-shit every time this happens. She bolts for the door as fast as she can, her paw nails slipping and sliding on the polished wood entryway floor. There’s a full door-length window beside the door, and our dog – at full speed, crashes into this window every single time, seriously startling anyone standing on the other side.

Well, true to form, our dog did it again. I approached the entryway, grabbed my dog’s collar, unlocked and opened the door. Standing there outside, now about five yards away, is a young, well-dressed and somewhat startled-looking black gentleman.

His first words out of his mouth were, “Does your dog like black meat…?”

I hesitated, not so-much because I felt a need to break the news to him gently, but because I was just so taken-aback by the question. Is my dog racist? If so, does that make me a racist by association? What if my dog, who spends most of her time around white people, really does feel threatened by someone with black skin?

So, after an awkward few moments of silence, I responded with a nervous but hopefully reassuring chuckle, “Of course not. She just gets excited when someone comes to the door”. With that, he launched into his sales pitch – still from a considerable distance. I guess I wasn’t convincing enough!

I don’t care much for unsolicited solicitations, especially at my own front door so I simply cut him off in mid-pitch with a “Sorry, but I’m not interested”, to which this well-dressed young man responded with assumptions about how I might be feeling given I have an unfamiliar black person at my door. “No.”, I said firmly but politely, “I just don’t buy from people who come to my home uninvited.”

I’m going to stop there, because he didn’t get it. He kept trying to make it a racial argument. Finally, I just closed and locked the door, and walked away.

I realized then that racism really does still exist, but not where many people often think. We do not live in a world where reality is reality. On many fronts, we live in a world where perception is reality. And within our midsts, we have race-baiting merchants and so-called civil rights leaders who’s only purpose is to keep the flames of racial hatred alive in the minds of those who make up our minority communities – not so much out of a true concern to help minorities succeed in life, but as is demonstrated time-and-again, to gain power and influence at the expense of our society’s most vulnerable.

Shameful really.

CliffHanger on October 27, 2006 at 1:59 PM

Um, only a complete racist would think that ad has anything to do with the subject of race at all. Case closed.

What about the stupid “oreos” thing? That actually was racist!

Free Kurdistan on October 27, 2006 at 2:01 PM

I seem to recall that not too terribly long ago Matthews actually sounded pretty moderate.

The entire MSNBC network is Olberrotten.

infidel4life on October 27, 2006 at 2:03 PM

Chris Matthews and GregH are perfect examples of libtards that don’t know enough about anything to fill a bottle cap. So, Greggy, are you saying that ALL of us white folks here in Tennessee are rope-carrying, sheet-wearing Klansmen? Well, pull yourself up out of your little hole in the ground and take a drive down here to Knoxville, where you will see more than your fair share of Ford Jr. signs, prominently displayed in the front yards of WHITE middle- and upper-class families (which may consist of white MEN. *gasp*).
Now, as for you and Chrissy “I squat to pee” Matthews, until you know what you are talking about, you really ought to be careful where you’re steppin’, or you’ll wind up with something on that foot you’re fixin’ to put in your mouth.

BigOrangeAxe on October 27, 2006 at 2:11 PM

Democrat’s mantra to the public:

Republicans are racist, unless the republican is black, then they are an uncle tom and should be whipped to stepping out of line.

Democrats want racial freedom as long as those of the race vote for them.

dougless on October 27, 2006 at 2:24 PM

At least Honora can argue a point, and sound reasonably intelligent doing it.

However it more than likely GregH’s fault. I blame a vast left wing conspiracy for stealing his brain and replacing it with democratic talking points, assumptions, and buzz words.

KOS may not be a brain surgeon, but he stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night…

E L Frederick on October 27, 2006 at 2:33 PM

The caveman is showing himself to be a racist – only a racist would ‘see racism’ in that ad.

I bet when Matthews sees a white woman with a black man on the street he points and shouts RACIST! (or a white man and asian woman…).

And, according to him, blacks should be seen (at the polls voting democrat) and not heard (except as a ‘token …’).

CrazyFool on October 27, 2006 at 2:57 PM

GregH wrote: “By mocking Matthews here, is it safe to reason that you approve of playing the race card to get the vote?”

No. But you can assume we’re calling HYPOCRITE on Matthews.

GregH also wrote: “Matthews asserts, and I agree, that the use of the white woman in the ad was a ploy to appeal to the fears and biases of a racially charged populace.”

Your opinion is of little value, especially as you’re just reading off the most recent talking points spin memo.

georgej on October 27, 2006 at 3:38 PM

I can’t stand the thought of any woman procreating with Ford!

Gooch on October 27, 2006 at 3:49 PM

I’m personally prejiduced against people whose second toe is longer than thier big toe. They’re obviously monkeys in disguise sent here to spy on us while the primates plot their overthrow of mankind. That makes about as much sense as chris matthews, dont’cha think?

Scot on October 27, 2006 at 4:02 PM

So I guess if this were a New York senatorial race, then it’d be the wop’s in Howard Beach who would having the problem.

The Ugly American on October 27, 2006 at 4:15 PM

…no, the reaction to the ad was an appeal to keep the populace racially charged, thereby ensuring that the Democratic Party — the party of “Bull” Connor, Lester Mattox and George Wallace, by the by — remains relevant.

Why would you need dragon-slayers if there aren’t any dragons? How can you stay relevant as a ’60′s-reject racial crusaders if the knuckle-dragging Klansmen of old have marginalized themselves to occasional acts of barbarity, thereby marginalizing you, as well.

Maybe the Dems would be more successful claiming that they’re the party which’ll protect us from boogeymen, haints, goobers and cats in zoot-suits…with the last, they could crib Mighty Mouse’s old theme…”Heeeeeere we come to saaaaave the daaaaay…”

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM

As for Southerners….Mr. Matthews is absolutely right.

We’re all a bunch of gun-totin’, cross-burnin’, negro-haters.

I highly suggest that all you minority-lovin’ Yankee liberals remain north of the Mason-Dixon line.

That is, unless you enjoy squeelin’ like a pig.

Oh, I wish I wuz in dah land of cotton…

The Ugly American on October 27, 2006 at 4:26 PM

Wondering if Mr. Matthews thought ABC race-baited white armchair quarterbacks with this

The Ugly American on October 27, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Dang…they literally took that down within 30 seconds after I posted it.

This link should work.

The Ugly American on October 27, 2006 at 4:52 PM

We’re all a bunch of gun-totin’, cross-burnin’, negro-haters.

You left out “in-bred”.

CliffHanger on October 27, 2006 at 5:00 PM

Why do we pay attention to Matthews anyway? No one watches his show – he abviously smoked too much dope in the 60′s, is frozen in time and must still visit lala land regularly. Trying to make sense of his opinions is exhausting. Matthews brings guests on that are so called experts and usually share his extreme views. If he ever has a guest on that has anything worth listening to – Matthews does not listen and talks all over them. Let him go in peace- soon he will be on CNBC and then no one will remember his face.

iam7545 on October 27, 2006 at 5:02 PM

LakeRuins, damnyankee is one word. Damn can be used as a stand-alone, but yankee shall never be uttered without the aforementioned damn prefix. ;)

Barntender on October 27, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Citizen Duck, Drive-By Truckers? Bless your heart, I’ve finally found a home on the intranet tubes! Everyone join us in a chorus of “Carl Perkins’ Cadillac”. Then we’ll go out for grits.

Barntender on October 27, 2006 at 5:18 PM

MMMMMMMmmmm….grits

The Ugly American on October 27, 2006 at 5:37 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong (I’m not) but, wasn’t it AlGore’s daddy and a slew of other dhimmicrats who led the charge against integration and the Civil Rights Act?

Barntender on October 27, 2006 at 5:44 PM

I am from Alabama and I am so sick of this racism crap..my last girlfriend was Korean!…I do not remember anybody taking a second look at us…I do not base my vote on someones race but I do vote based on where they stand on the issues which seem to be getting lost in all of this talk of racism.

EnochCain on October 27, 2006 at 6:31 PM

Al Gore’s daddy’s main benefactor was Armand Hammer.

sonnyspats1 on October 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM

This is not what conservatism is about – everybody needs to be white and male and christian. Oh wait, I’m Hispanic/Italian – I’m a sellout. I need to go to DU where I belong – if they’ll take me after I’ve disgraced my people.

Rick on October 27, 2006 at 11:49 AM

What? But… but… I’m an atheist! Being white and male isn’t enough? Damn, I guess I’ve betrayed my kind, too, and need to hang my head in groveling shame.

Does this mean I’m not allowed to vote Republican or Libertarian after all? Will this cost me my Hot Air registration? Crap!

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:14 PM

If you’ve ever used the word “yonder,” you might be a…..

RAAAAAAAAACIST!

y2church on October 27, 2006 at 12:51 PM

“Yonder” is a damn fine word. Aw, hell! Does this make me a troglodyte after all? I’m so confused….

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:17 PM

EnochCain on October 27, 2006 at 6:31 PM

And I once dated a woman from Iran. God, it just keeps getting worse…. It’s twisting my brain!

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:19 PM

Entelechy on October 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM

A wonderful day that will be. It cannot come too soon.

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM

No! NOOOO! Not the cats in zoot suits! Now I’ll never sleep tonight.

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:28 PM

EnochCain on October 27, 2006 at 6:31 PM

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:19 PM

And my girlfriend is a Swedish-born bisexual Wiccan hippie. Sure, we’re both white, but how’s that for tolerance?

(Yeah, I know–we’re pretty much Dharma and Greg.)

ReubenJCogburn on October 27, 2006 at 9:51 PM

Ok Rueben you win….

EnochCain on October 27, 2006 at 10:21 PM

With Crissy’s and MSNBC’s ratings in the tank, they should have him doing a real job, like delivering newspapers early in the morning. Imagine with Chris Matthews on a paper route, and Keith Stumblebum drawing unemployment, they may stand a chance to survive as TV news network.

byteshredder on October 27, 2006 at 10:34 PM

Chris Matthews just looked plain panicked. Interesting. Makes one muse as to why such a Liberal Left Dem is in such a state … aren’t they all so confident of victory that they are ordering portraits and new “wall treatments”?

naliaka on October 27, 2006 at 10:37 PM

ReubenJCogburn on October 27, 2006 at 9:51 PM

We’re not worthy!

p.v. cornelius on October 28, 2006 at 12:24 AM

Entelechy on October 27, 2006 at 1:43 PM

A wonderful day that will be. It cannot come too soon.

p.v. cornelius on October 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM

Some of us are already there.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 28, 2006 at 1:13 AM

Heh. Don’t ask me to explain it, either, because I can’t. I just go with it. Our relationship just isn’t about politics, I guess–we agree to disagree. And fortunately her lefty friends generally possess sufficient self-preservation instinct not to start trouble that I’d have to finish for them. Then again, the other inevitable comparison that we get besides Dharma and Greg is Beauty and the Beast.

ReubenJCogburn on October 28, 2006 at 1:26 AM

Some of us are already there.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 28, 2006 at 1:13 AM

Hear, hear! That’s what will make the difference: not groups, but individuals. One mind and heart at a time.

p.v. cornelius on October 28, 2006 at 6:43 AM

I think these ads are great. We need more of them not less.

What we have here is somebody in the RNC finally growing a spine and pointing out the hypocrisy of the DNC and they are getting their under wear in a bunch over it.

Here is the point, Ford is passing out business cards with the 10 commandments on the back and on the front it says vote for Ford In addition, he is photographed in a church pew doing an ad for his campaign.

In short, he is saying he has family values and is a Christian.

BS-He is one of the biggest party animals in Congress and that is the point.

So an advertising agency runs an advertisement pointing out that Mr Family values attends playboy parties on the weekends.

What is the problem????

There is no racism he was caught being a hypocrite, period.

Here is a great website,fancyford.com, demonstrating his excessive spending from FEC records. Apparently, he can not find a room in any Hotel less than the Four Seasons for less than $450.00 a night.

They there are the places he frequents with his free time.Ford attended last year’s Playboy Super Bowl Party in Jacksonville, Fla., and took several trips paid for by corporate interests, including jaunts to Las Vegas, Vail, the Virgin Islands, Orlando and Miami. In all, more than 60 trips between 1998 and 2003

ScottyDog on October 28, 2006 at 2:50 PM