Video: CNN interviews Borat

posted at 11:03 pm on October 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

Quote:

Becky Anderson: So just who is Borat Sagdiyev?

Borat Sagdiyev: I am son of Asimbala Sakdijev and Boltok The Rapist. I am former husband of Marlian Tulliakbi, who was daughter of Urriana Tulliakbi and Boltok the Rapist.

95% on Rotten Tomatoes. I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow night.

Click the image to watch.

borat-cnn.jpg

Update: I mean, er, a week from tomorrow night. The movie doesn’t open for another six days.

Comments

I was an icemaker…. and a gypsy catcher.

The best: one year of plow experience.

I CAN’T WAIT for this movie to come out!!

pullingmyhairout on October 27, 2006 at 11:27 PM

She hardly asked him any hard questions! Will CNN always be so soft on anti-Semetic Khazikstanis? How exactly did he make ice? I want to know!

frankj on October 27, 2006 at 11:43 PM

Am I the only person who finds Borat to be the exact opposite of funny?

lorien1973 on October 27, 2006 at 11:44 PM

Am I the only person who finds Borat to be the exact opposite of funny?

americanpundit on October 27, 2006 at 11:54 PM

She was kinda baring her claws at him…

Here kitty kitty!

infidel4life on October 28, 2006 at 12:09 AM

I was going to asK “Who is this moron?” but I think “Why is this moron?” says it better.

I’ve seen clips from his putative comedy film (“I support your War of Terror!”… ha…. ha…. The Dixie Chicks and Michael Moore must be giggling with spit dribbling down their lower lips together over that half-witticism) being promoted and it seems like a third-generation theft of Steve Martin/Dan Ackroyd’s “Wild & Crazy (Czech) Guys” Schtick, without the humor.

I prefer Borax.

profitsbeard on October 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM

Whatever, guys. Borat is funny as hell, and Sasha Cohen is some kind of genius to be able to think of that stuff so quickly and keep a straight face.

And that interviewer annoyed the crap out of me.

DaveS on October 28, 2006 at 12:47 AM

For those who said the didn’t find Borat funny it’s because you have only seen Borat alone. Borat’s comedy is not based directly on the absurdity of his character but, rather geniously, on the effect it as has on those he interviews in real life. The comedy is derived on those around him’s response.

Here is one with hunters in Texas.

Borat at a Dating Service.

Looking for a Job

Egfrow on October 28, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Every time I see this guy I think “In the US, you check out books at the library. In Soviet Russia, library checks out you!”

Im still up in the air on weather or not to go see the movie.

SnakeintheGrass on October 28, 2006 at 1:51 AM

Can he now get away with saying “assholes” on CNN? Wow. This fellow has a filthy Jim-Webb mouth!

see-dubya on October 28, 2006 at 2:02 AM

see-dubya –

I thought I heard that! But imediately chaulked it up to my imagination! Guess I gave CNN too much credit for high standards and such. After all, it’s not a terrorist snuff film or anything… unsavory like that.

I don’t yet know if I like the Borat schtick. But from what I’ve seen so far I think it has the potential to rival Team America: World Police. And that has me excited. Yes, excited in that way.

(Laughter-wise! Geez what did you think I meant? Pervs.)

Kadnine on October 28, 2006 at 4:14 AM

Thanks for the links, Egfrow –

You’re right. Cohen’s genius isn’t in what he says (or at least not usually) but in what he gets his unsuspecting co-stars to say. (How he gets them to sign a release form afterwards is beyond me. But, hey! Some people will do anything to be on TV. Hence Jerry Springer.)

Ya know what? Borat does what Tom Green tried to do… but never quite managed. Tom Green + funny = Borat. Am I wrong?

Kadnine on October 28, 2006 at 4:46 AM

Here is a very good collection of clips from the Borat Movie and others. I think they are from Sacha himself. Note all the anti- American commentary from these clips on YouTube.

I’ve attempted to post rebuttals to some of them but YouTube selectively seems to choose what comment get’s posted. What a valuable pruchase for $1.6 Billion.

Egfrow on October 28, 2006 at 5:16 AM

ZZZZZZzzzz

Borat = moldy

Sasha = funny

Conflicting?

I like

Ugly on October 28, 2006 at 6:19 AM

Borat is getting way too much media attention. In Britain, he’s been making every newspaper, every day for the last two weeks. And the movie only opens in a week’s time. Sacha Cohen is certainly a lucky man with all that free publicity. But some of us are growing tired of seeing his face in the news.

MoonbatMedia on October 28, 2006 at 6:54 AM

I’ll admit it, I laughed my ass off when I watched Ali G in Da House.

Mortis on October 28, 2006 at 9:13 AM

I cannot stand this guy and when HBO had him on as Ali G,I canceled my subscription after writing them a letter asking if this is what entertainment has been reduced to the lowest common denominator.

My 2 cents

When the Sopranos and DeadWood came back on I renewed.

ScottyDog on October 28, 2006 at 11:20 AM

What initially threw me about this guy is his name sounds like that of Sasha Cohen, the US figure skater. She’s a gem.

mikeyboss on October 28, 2006 at 11:52 AM

I can’t watch him. I feel sorry for his victims, even if they are racist or whatever. Comedy is fine as long as you’re laughing WITH the people involved and not AT them.

Cohen should be grateful that the majority of his victims are polite and put up with his silliness and then allow him to make money off of them.

A whole movie of Cohen’s Borat? You gotta be kidding.

lostinfrance on October 28, 2006 at 1:27 PM

“Comedy is fine as long as you’re laughing WITH the people involved and not AT them.”

Careful, your saddle might burn up on reentry.

Jim Treacher on October 28, 2006 at 3:44 PM

Careful, your saddle might burn up on reentry.

Sorry? Me no understand…

lostinfrance on October 28, 2006 at 5:11 PM

I think he means that your high horse is pretty darned high.

Krydor on October 28, 2006 at 6:45 PM

This discussion is really good. However, just think of how much this resembles our own political figures, processes, etc.

Borat is funny, though and it is sometimes better to laugh with than be angry at him.

Emmett J. on October 28, 2006 at 7:51 PM

Borat’s ability to stay in character and get real people to say ridiculous things they must regret later rivals Stephen Colbert’s. I wanna see that interview.

JaHerer22 on October 29, 2006 at 1:08 PM

as an american living in the middle east, i find his humor absolutely hilarious.
i dont care what his opinions are, he makes me laugh every time i see him.

i wanna watch this movie NOW!

Adeptus on October 29, 2006 at 2:18 PM

I think he means that your high horse is pretty darned high.

Geez, I was only giving my opinion as to why Cohen makes me cringe and my opinion that comedy should be about joining in the fun. That’s getting on a high horse?

Wow, Treacher, I never would have thought you would be so quick to judge…

lostinfrance on October 29, 2006 at 7:20 PM

Non sequiturs are fun!

Jim Treacher on October 30, 2006 at 1:46 PM

I thought Treacher was making a Dr. Strangelove reference.

spmat on October 30, 2006 at 5:33 PM