Audio: Rick Perry’s “Mr. Way-Too-Liberal-for-Texas Guy” ad; Update: Similar ad in Minnesota

posted at 7:53 pm on October 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

Brilliant.

Link shamelessly stolen from Mary K, who shamelessly stole the Matthews video from us this morning. I don’t know what Chris Bell looks like and I don’t care enough to check, but since we need a mental image of Mr. Way Too Liberal for Texas Guy, this’ll do. Click to listen.

matthews-ugh.jpg

Update: Tim Pawlenty’s running basically the same ad in Minnesota. It’s not as good as Perry’s, though.

Comments

I voted today, but not for Chris Bell. As I hit the button for Governor several times to the tune of “Way Too Liberal for Texas Guy!”, the reply was “SSSHHHHHHH!!!”.

Actually he doesn’t look that dissimilar from Chris Matthews. Same distraught, wussy look on his face and everything.

Lone Star on October 27, 2006 at 8:01 PM

Hilarious!

Clark1 on October 27, 2006 at 8:15 PM

Je m’appelle Chris Bell!

So much goodness in that clip.

Citizen Duck on October 27, 2006 at 8:19 PM

This just typifies the kind of baseless attack coming out of the AllahPundit camp these days. Frankly, it’s disappointing.

I think the people of Hot Air and Townhall would be better served if we could get back to the real issues of this campaign season, like posting inane campaign commercials and offering election predictions we will change three days from now. You know? The substance.

I sincerely hope AllahPundit will join me in this effort. After all, this election is not about our personal disagreements; it’s about entertaining, even bludgeoning, our readers with other people’s personal disagreements.

I’m Mary Katharine Ham and I approved this message.

(And, I totally didn’t steal it.)

marykatharine on October 27, 2006 at 8:20 PM

Not to mention racist.

The background color on this page, as you surely have noticed, is white, while the font color is quite clearly, black.

Case closed.

Citizen Duck on October 27, 2006 at 8:23 PM

Saw screenshot, Googled beady-eyed.
First entry gives this:

Adj. beady-eyed – having eyes that gleam with malice
malevolent, malicious – wishing or appearing to wish evil to others; arising from intense ill will or hatred; “a gossipy malevolent old woman”; “failure made him malevolent toward those who were successful”

Stephen M on October 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM

I’m a native Texan and a pretty straight ticket Republican, but I’m not voting for Perry–he “lowered” property taxes by raising the tax on cigarettes and on businesses and corporations (Greeeaaatt….), he wants to build the Trans-Texas Corridor, a massive boondoggle like the Big Dig that would involve big time eminent domain seizures, major graft, would run into Mexico (we all know what that will lead to! Who needs a fence when they can drive into the U.S.?) and be run by foreigners.
Folks are pretty unhappy about Rick welcoming so many of New Orleans criminals to Houston, where the murder and crime rates have skyrocketed.
All my friends have one word to describe Perry: Arrogant.
The race is between Kinky Friedman and Grandma Carole Strayhorne. Noone’s paying Chris Bell any attention.

Jen the Neocon on October 27, 2006 at 8:27 PM

It’s a good, humorous ad but I wonder why Perry is running this. Seems like a gratuitous, mildly-negative ad that’s being run just for the heck of it. Perry’s had a 2-1 lead in the polls over all of the other candidates, and I think Bell has always polled fourth of the four. Bell received some very large donations recently from some of the wealth personal-injury lawyers (John O’Quinn) recently, but that’s still not going to get him close. Anyway, just makes me wonder why Perry is directing negative ads towards Bell of all of his opponents. (I held my nose and voted for Perry today.)

dhawbake on October 27, 2006 at 8:30 PM

That was pretty damn funny.

As a Texan and someone who works in law enforcement it will be a cold day in hell before I vote for Bell, but Perry is not fit for the job eaither.

Its time to get Kinky!

SnakeintheGrass on October 27, 2006 at 8:33 PM

You’re only disappointed because I’m white.

Allahpundit on October 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM

SnakeintheGrass……..

Kinky? Kinky?….you’re in law-enforcement in Texas?…..
Kinky?……………guess you won’t be searching Willie’s bus next time it crosses the border…….

Kinky?…(I’m a Texan too………but Kinky?)

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 8:42 PM

Oh for Pete’s sake, what is wrong with that ad? Seriously?

We all seem to fixate on saying “I don’t approve of negative ads”, but really, what does that mean?

Are we never allowed to mention an opponents position?

If a candidate wants to raise taxes, are we allowed to point that out? If we do, isn’t that negative? You are pointing something out about an opponent that isn’t favorable to him.

If an opponent wants to cut and run, aren’t we allowed to point it out?

And lets face it, politicians run negative ads because they work. Just as we want to know what is right about our candidate, we want to know what is wrong about our opponent. We need that negativity, in order to feel good about our choice.

Now I’ll say there should be a limit. First, a negative ad should be true. Don’t lie. Second, don’t go after his family, unless they are actually actively involved politically. Third, when you hammer an opponent on an issue, you had better be providing the public with YOUR position on the issue, and what you would do differently.

And try to be amusing, or interesting. Cuz if your ad is boring, you ain’t getting elected.

EFG on October 27, 2006 at 8:46 PM

You’re only disappointed because I’m white.

Allahpundit on October 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM

Actually, you are Italian. Which is kinda ethnicy.

Which automatically puts you under suspicion.

EFG on October 27, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Kinky has about five minutes of material that he repeats over and over and over…….

Scot on October 27, 2006 at 8:50 PM

He is running it because Bell is running an add that says directly the Perry is ‘corrupt’ because the children’s health insurance here is being managed by a off shore company……..just typical Texas hard ball. Perry 35%, Strahorn 20%(I), Bell 20%, Kinky (10%…Perry is a shoe-in but with less then 50%

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 8:50 PM

Great, now I’m gonna have that damn song stuck in my head the rest of the night.

vcferlita on October 27, 2006 at 8:56 PM

*(raises paw)* …another Texan….

I’m surprised…first of all that Bell’s actually running a commercial (I haven’t heard n’r seen anything from him, the only evidence of his existence being rumor)…secondly that Perry ran an ad which is actually clever. He’s been governor here for four years and strikes me as an empty suit. As Jen the Neocon wrote, he’s behind some things which’re raising some eyebrows here’bouts…in my little corner of the world, anyway.

Maybe we’ll get Kinky here in Texas…I doubt that Gradma Carole will get the nod, which is unfortunate…should be interesting….

Puritan1648 on October 27, 2006 at 9:05 PM

True that Perry has his problems….I don’t have a poster up of him in the garage. Bell has been putting his ad’s on in DFW, Austin, Houston markets and this week made the local news shows shoveling his pitch(shoveling being the operative word). I don’t like any of the candidates here, but Perry will win.

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 9:09 PM

Kinky? Kinky?….you’re in law-enforcement in Texas?…..

Kinky?…(I’m a Texan too………but Kinky?)

I enforce the laws. Dosent mean I have to agree with them. Weed is no more dangerous than cigarettes, if that is what you are getting at. I know guys in DPS who feel the same way.

Am I saying that Kinky is the best man for the job? No. He just happens to be the lesser of of four evils.

SnakeintheGrass on October 27, 2006 at 9:18 PM

Snake that was NOT my truck that just headed west at 95 ok?

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Hey fellow Texans!
I meant to say that it was a 3-way race between Perry, Strayhorne and Kinky, but Perry probably will win. Puritan, he’s an empty suit indeed!
And Scot made a great point: Kinky’s hilarious, but he does same the funny things over and over.
As much as I love Bush, being governor of Texas ain’t no real thang, although Lord knows Perry’s tried to make it a big deal and I’m sure he thinks there’s a presidential run in his future, but he’s no George Bush.
Hell, he’s more like Ann Richards and that’s not good.

Jen the Neocon on October 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM

Snake that was NOT my truck that just headed west at 95 ok?

So you don’t mind if I pull said truck over, then? :P

Unfortunatly you are probably right…

SnakeintheGrass on October 27, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Yeah it is hard to trust an ex-Dem running as a Republican…

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 9:28 PM

You’re only disappointed because I’m white.
Allahpundit on October 27, 2006 at 8:38 PM
Actually, you are Italian. Which is kinda ethnicy.
Which automatically puts you under suspicion.
EFG on October 27, 2006 at 8:49 PM

OK OK OK- AP’s White (could be a lie, it is election time) he’s 1/2 Italian and half of something else…(hence the earlier half-breed jab) what could that be?
WE’RE GETTING CLOSER- MKH will tell us, with all this business nepotismistic tension. (dont know if that’s a real word, but it works, kinda)

shooter on October 27, 2006 at 9:34 PM

The other half of his ethnicity is Irish.

And you know how we WASPs feel about the Irish

Plus he is Catholic. Which means he is a blasted papist.

White?

Hardly. Under the three strikes and you’re out rule, (Italian/Irish/Catholic) AP has been officially deemed a minority.

But were’re a big tent…

EFG on October 27, 2006 at 9:56 PM

If Kinky is serious about sealing the border, he would block the NAFTA superhighways. I would vote for Kinky if I still lived in TX.

Valiant on October 27, 2006 at 9:58 PM

I’ from Texas and I’m gettin KINKY!!!!!!

TexasInfidel on October 27, 2006 at 10:00 PM

Yeah but he wants to seal the border by pulling all the troops out of Iraq and bringing them to Texas….

Texas is weird; Perry- exDem running as Republican
Grandma exRep running as Independent
Kinky- exDem running as Independent
Bell- Dem running as Nutroot

No wonder y’all have no confidence in us!

Limerick on October 27, 2006 at 10:02 PM

Allahpundit Say’s
( I don’t know what Chris Bell looks like )

He looks just like the picture you get in your head when listening to that Rick Perry ad.

Texyank on October 27, 2006 at 10:35 PM

Well, I’m late to the party, but *raising MY hand as a Texan* I’m probably going to hold my nose and vote for Perry. He’s the most normal one of the bunch, even though I don’t think he’s done shit in the last few years.

Besides, the Governor of Texas doesn’t hold the power – the Lt. Gov. does.

but I have to say, Kinky is an interesting alternative…

pullingmyhairout on October 27, 2006 at 10:43 PM

(I held my nose and voted for Perry today.)

dhawbake,
How could you have voted for Perry? I would rather have a idiot like Kinky in office than the greasy Rick Perry. Perry is going to cut up Texas into tiny little pieces.

riggermarander on October 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM

Sorry. I missed the link.

riggermarander on October 27, 2006 at 10:52 PM

Pile it on. I am new to this posting thing. I am usually just lurking around.

riggermarander on October 27, 2006 at 10:55 PM

Voted for Grandma Strayorn…she shares my pathological hatred for toll roads, trans-Texas corridors and as she says, she’s too damn old to worry about feathering her nest and making a career out of being Governor. Perry will probably get it with only 40% or so, but I damn well hope Strayhorn makes him sweat for it.

Texan on October 27, 2006 at 11:56 PM

I got a mailer today from the perry camp going after strayhorn for being pro-choice. That will probably bring a lot of republicans back home to perry. I’ve seen a lot of kinky signs and bumper stickers in my neck of the woods though.

Scot on October 28, 2006 at 12:24 AM

The corridor issue is definitely what’s hurting perry the most.

Scot on October 28, 2006 at 12:30 AM

Ain’t early voting great? I would have voted already if it weren’t for my uncertainty about the governor’s race.

I would have voted for Werner, but the post-9/11 world of the more-unabashedly-unhinged-every-day Democratic Party is not the place to be diverting votes from Republicans, so my days of voting straight-ticket Libertarian, I’m afraid, are over. I’d be inclined to go for Perry if it weren’t for his damn Trans-Texas Corridor land-grab monstrosity. I’d consider Friedman if I thought he might be anything more than an entertainer (although there’s certainly something to be said for having an entertainer in the governor’s mansion). All things considered, I rather favor Strayhorn except for my fear of helping siphon off enough votes from Perry to let Bell win. For the love of God, Montresor, anyone but Bell!

Looks like I’ve got some more research to do before Monday.

BTW: Just how the hell many Texans are there around here, anyway?

p.v. cornelius on October 28, 2006 at 1:38 AM

I too am a Texan (DFW area). I see Perry as mostly an empty suit, but nostly a decent, right-leaning moderate soldier. The Texas governor just does not matter that much. I hate toll roads too; but we have them, and they’re not going away. The trans Texas corridor is ultimately just a highway. The decision to enforce the border (incl. the TTC) will be implemented and enforced when the next major attack happens on US soil by someone who came across the US-Mex border.

I didn’t know Strayhorn was pro-choice, but I wasn’t going to vote for her anyway. Kinky is literally a clown. Bell who? Unfortunately, we don’t currently have any conservative visionaries right now, for which we are duly ashamed, and which is why you hear so much about holding noses while voting.

urbancenturion on October 28, 2006 at 3:11 AM

I’m not sure what I enjoyed more; the brilliant and funny ad or MKH’s politically satirical comment to AllahPundit’s post (pbuh).

iNeXuS on October 28, 2006 at 6:00 AM

I can’t add anything to this.

daveintexas on October 28, 2006 at 8:19 AM

except I could have made it a link, duh

daveintexas on October 28, 2006 at 8:19 AM

riggermarander: “dhawbake, how could you have voted for Perry?”

Very simply because I want a governor who will leave the death-row execution express lane open (characterization shamelessly stolen from Blue Collar comedian Ron White). I think Perry will at least do that, and I have no confidence that Kinky wouldn’t shut it down, or even commute all death-row sentences to life in prison like that crook-idiot, Ryan, did in Illinois. And “Grandma” Strayhorn-Keeton-Rylander (or whatever her last name is this week) is nothing more than a self-promoting idiot. Like I said, I held my nose. There just aren’t any good choices this year.

EFG: I have no problems with negative ads per se as long as the content is a fair portrayal of the facts. I think Allen’s ads are going to be effective and reduce support for Webb, regardless of what MM says. My question about this ad is not that it’s negative – it’s why is Perry spending money attacking the fourth place candidate? Seems odd. (Yes, I know, Perry is odd.)

dhawbake on October 28, 2006 at 9:06 AM

I like Kinky as a personality, but not as a governor. Pro-gay, pro-indian casinos (wouldn’t you like to get your hands around the throat of the judge who made THAT possible), pro-DRUGS?? In Texas??, lip service about National Guard on the border…yada, yada, yada.

I can’t THINK of a quicker way to get Texas looking like California.

Most disturbing Texas election revelation to me: Willie Nelson is a drug user. I always heard he told his band, “If you’re wired, you’re fired.” Then he gets pulled over with a pound of pot in his RV.

You pretty much HAVE to vote for Perry. Voting for anyone else is a Donk proxy.

Left_Behind on October 28, 2006 at 9:38 AM

Bell looks like Dr. Drew

Drtuddle on October 28, 2006 at 11:52 AM

I think it’s a very clever ad based on the same format as a very successful product ad and it’s funny and accurate! And Matthews does strikingly resemble Chris Bell!

Poor Bell, he got kicked out of the legislature because of DeLay’s re-districting plan. He got the nod in the primary based on a sympathy vote. The Dems picked a sorry, whiner for a candidate and I’m glad they did.

The Dems fight dirty in Texas. They’re trying so hard now to get Lampson elected in DeLay’s district they’ve made it just as complicated as possible to elect DeLay’s designated replacement Sekula-Gibbs. And Lampson might just win it, but District 22 will come back Republican in the next term.

I’m voting for Perry next week in early voting. I’m not going to contribute to Texas being taken back by the Democrats and I want Chris Bell to get his butt kicked big time. By holding on to the Governor this term we have a real comer in David Dewhurst for the 2010 election. He’ll make a great Texas Governor.

Grandma pissed me off when she ran her ad saying most seniors in Texas got no property tax reduction when in fact after a certain age they PAY NO property tax in Texas. And as the former Comptroller, she surely knows that. I think it’s despicable to run as a “grandma” and then use that persona to portray herself as trustworthy when that ad is deceitful. Speaks about her character. I’m sick of that “let’s scare the old people who are to ignorant to know better” tactic.

Kinky, however amusing he is, would be a disaster for the State.

Oh BTW, it was Houston Mayor Bill White (D) is responsible for creating the crime problems that have resulted from the NO evacuees in Houston. He wanted the federal $$$$$ to offset his budget problems. The longer he kept them in the Dome and Geo. R. Brown, the more money he got. It should have been a temporary pass through as they were moved on to other places like they did in Dallas and San Antonio.

Texas Gal on October 28, 2006 at 11:54 AM

I voted for Perry yesterday, with no qualms. Kinky is just comedy fodder for this election. I wouldn’t mind a road through Texas that bypasses Austin and San Antonio, since the traffic is horrendous on I-35.

Stormy70 on October 28, 2006 at 12:31 PM

Texas Gal,

Is Sekula-Gibbs related to Jay Sekula of the ACLJ? (attorney who argues conservative side in US Supreme Court cases for ACLJ)

I looked on her website and didn’t see any personal info.

I almost forgot about the scam against Delay….Man, what a year!

Left_Behind on October 28, 2006 at 12:52 PM

dhawbake

As a native Houstonian, let me correct you, please.

The Governor of Texas cannot commute death sentences and it has been that way since Ma Ferguson was governor. The Governor can stay an execution for 30 days. Texas governor has little or no real power – that falls to the Lt. governor.

Neocon Peg on October 28, 2006 at 1:24 PM

Left_Behind,

I don’t really know if Shelly is related to Jay or not. If she is and if Lampson could put negative spin on it, he surely would have made it public knowledge.

He’s got this ad running that shines a spotlight on a Houston City Council Chair and says that Sekula-Gibbs sat in that chair and took a $5000 raise while Houston faces a $87,000,000 budget shortfall! And I’m screaming at the TV, Wadda ya mean 87 freaking million dollars??? Shelly’s been there one term and the damn Democrat y’all elected Mayor is in his 2nd freaking term!!!!

Texas Gal on October 28, 2006 at 1:33 PM

Stormy70

The Trans-Texas Corridor is NOT just a “road” to help with traffic. This is a gigantic land grab that will take millions of prime Texas farmlands away from Texans who have owned it for generations. Then Perry will turn all of those millions of acres over to a Spanish company to collect the tolls. The toll “road” is only part of this. This will go down as the biggest land grab in United States history. Itis pathetic and shameful.

Perry does not deserve my vote and he won’t get it!

Neocon Peg on October 28, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Oops, Sorry, forgot the link

Neocon Peg on October 28, 2006 at 1:44 PM

Bell is a non-factor.
Kinky is funny, but not a serious alternative.
Grandma is plausible, but not viable.
Perry has a record, but it is an uneven one.

Still, it was a funny ad, and from across the Red River here in Stephens County, I hope that my pals in South Oklahoma Texas keep Perry around a bit longer.

itzWicks on October 28, 2006 at 3:59 PM

lol….Thanks Texas Gal.

Left_Behind on October 29, 2006 at 1:58 AM

On the Texas elections:

Sekula-Gibbs and her opponent are tied as of this morning. Her name is hanging on the wall for anyone to see so they can spell it right; and you don’t even have to spell it right for the vote to count. A one-eyed retard with only 2 fingers could figure out how to vote for her. I won’t be at all surprised if she wins; she has my vote.

As for our current Governor, Mr. Rick “Let’s Leave the Border Wide Open Until Election Day” Perry; he still gets my vote unless Streyhorn pulls ahead of that whack-job Democrat… which she almost has. Strong borders are nothing more than an election day game for Rick Perry. He should count himself very lucky that he has a Democrat and an Independent running at 22% and 21% respectively.

Cary on October 30, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Perry is a failure in the most important issue in Texas Tejas…immigration. I haven’t decided between the Grandma and the Comedian but doubt it will matter. Perry will win but I hope to at least send a “I’m unhappy with the Republican leadership” message.

b4itsover on October 30, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Here’s my own middle names for all the gov candidates of Texas:

Rick “The Hair” Perry (R)
Chris “Taco” Bell (D)
Kinky “Sex” Friedman (I)
James “Smoke em” Werner (L)
Carole “Competing with Liz Taylor” Keeton McClellen Ryander Strayhorn Smith Rodgers Williams Osborne Jackson Newton Whitaker Jones Montgomery Gibson Chambers Parker….. Etc. (I)

ricer1 on October 30, 2006 at 4:53 PM

Oh, and one write-in candidate:

James “Patriot” Dillon

p.s., That’s his own “middle” name… or so he claims.

ricer1 on October 30, 2006 at 4:55 PM