Video: Big media is too liberal, ABC News honcho tells O’Reilly

posted at 10:19 am on October 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

It’s Mark Halperin, the news division’s political director and author of an infamous memo about media bias during the 2004 presidential campaign.

He chooses his words carefully here — maybe my headline should be “Big media appears too liberal” — but you get the gist. He describes the media as “liberal” in the Note piece that O’Reilly references, so I think we’re on firm ground. Read it if you haven’t yet; I thought they were kidding when I first saw, but it may be one of those things that started off as a joke during a brainstorming session and then turned serious as the evidence began to accumulate.

The question is, given his background with that memo, does Halperin really believe this or was it calculated to earn him appearances on the conservative talk-show circuit? If you’re looking for a motive, look no further.

More on media bias (of the CNN variety) this morning from the Prowler, whose report as usual is peppered with not at all fake-sounding quotes.

Comments

Holy Cow . . .

I can’t believe my ears.

-T

The Therapist on October 25, 2006 at 10:29 AM

I guess it’s all relative, isn’t it? A Conservative is going to see the media as being liberally biased, while a Liberal probably sees the media as having a conservative slant.

Or somebody looking to push a book is going to say whatever he has to in order to get on TV…

GregH on October 25, 2006 at 10:34 AM

BS BS BS BS BS……ABC the ‘Fair and Balanced’ network….BS BS BS BS…..it is like dressing up a degenerate ax-murderer in a 3 piece suit before going to court………..BSBSBSBSBSBS….

ABC is the Georgie Bobblehead network…..period.

Limerick on October 25, 2006 at 10:35 AM

He must really need to sell some books. The Moonbats are going to kick him off the Tin Foil Reservation.

Did anybody else see Rove’s hand up the back of his shirt?

StusBeef on October 25, 2006 at 10:36 AM

FOX News is kicking their collective butts. This is not an honesty issue. They are trying to court roughly half of the nation because they are losing where it counts the most: their pocketbooks.

Does anyone really think that Mr. Halperin would be having this conversation with Mr. O’reilly if the MSM was kicking the crap out of FOX News?

JasonG on October 25, 2006 at 10:42 AM

Just like Calame at the Times…..’oh I guess we were wrong, sorry, we will try to do better, watch, TRUST ME’

BS

Limerick on October 25, 2006 at 10:44 AM

I’m shocked! Shocked I tell you. Well, not that shocked.

lorien1973 on October 25, 2006 at 10:54 AM

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. This fool must be looking for a new job.

liberty on October 25, 2006 at 10:57 AM

…like putting lipstick on a pig…

lan astaslem on October 25, 2006 at 10:58 AM

They have no shame at all, shilling for conservative book buyers to shell out $ for another liberal crapfest.
He would sell hia mother and sister to help his buddies stay/get in power.

bbz123 on October 25, 2006 at 11:02 AM

Ian:

you mean I’m not supposed to do that? no wonder my neighbor looks funny at me.

Limerick on October 25, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Greg, to see the Old Media as conservatively biased, one would have to be somewhat to the left of Che Guevara. But in that sense, yes, the bias is relative.

ReubenJCogburn on October 25, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Notice how he put it in a BUSINESS context…..

Nothing really about right and wrong… nothing about the Press’s duty to be fair… its about business….

Sad.

Romeo13 on October 25, 2006 at 11:13 AM

Romeo,it reminds me of the movies where the drug leader is killing his best friend and tells him ” see,it’s just business” as if that makes everything all right.
The left.constantly banging big business for any perceived wrong,yet allowing themselves to write off any of their debauchery as ” Just business”.

bbz123 on October 25, 2006 at 11:22 AM

The MSM is the enemy within our borders. They have the power and avenue to sway what the public sees and hears which breeds a forced ignorance on the US public If you only hear 1 side of the story how can you make up your own mind?

You only hear the negative on every issue the conservatives are behind:

WOT – Our troops are doing incredibly great things for the people in both Afghanistan and Iraq, but you only hear about the negatives. Providing aid to sick and needy kids in these countries is not as sensational and eye catching as showing an Iraqi sniper killing one of our own..
Economy – Unemployment is low, taxes are low, deficit is coming down. Heard any of that lately? If there isn’t any bad news to report then they will make it up.
Immigration – Estimates are there were about 83,000 illegal aliens in Oklahoma in 2005 who cost the state about $207 million annually. Education makes up the biggest portion of the pie, with an estimated $161.1 million. OK ranks near the bottom in teacher pay, I wonder why.
Islamofacism – Don’t they realize that if the jihadi’s win, they will be out of a job and maybe a head (their own)? They have to believe that they can “control” the jihadi’s once they make it into power.

Our founding fathers who demanded a “free press” would be ashamed of today’s MSM.

I sure as heck am.

By the way, this will be the last time we see Mr. Halperin, I’m sure his pink slip is being typed right now.

bubbadog89 on October 25, 2006 at 11:25 AM

What angers me the most, as a detailed recruiter, is that the US Army made its yearly mission of 80,000 and the Army Reserves missed its mission of 25,500 by only 300 or so.

The RA (Regular Army) made 100.8% of its mission and the AR (Army Reserves) made 99.5% for a combined 100.5%. It was never reported by the media. If the Army had missed its mission goals, even by a small amount, it would have been a major story. I find that sort of intellectual dishonesty both disturbing and digusting.

JasonG on October 25, 2006 at 11:37 AM

I’m guessing that Mark Halperin is the son of Clintonista Pond Scum, Morton (Don’t Use Armor in Solamalia. It might upset the locals!) Halperin.

Slick move, Mark. Now try explaining your marching orders to ABC regarding the last six days prior to November’s elections.

Jack.

Jack Deth on October 25, 2006 at 11:41 AM

He doesn’t do a great job of hiding behind his words.

We’ve got a chance to prove to conservatives that we understand their grievances.

Our bias has become so obvious that only Chuck Schumer doesn’t recognize it.

Conservatives are certain that we’re gonna be out to get them, we gotta fix that.

We have to take a lesson from Slick Willie and mask our bias more.

Lots of examples, if I were a conservative, I understand why I would feel suspicious that I was not gonna get a fair break at the end of an election. We’ve gotta make sure we do better so that conservatives don’t have to be concerned about that.

We must be more subtle or else conservatives will never pay attention to us again, and we won’t be able to help OUR SIDE draw away disgruntled conservatives and take back political power.

Does Halperin ever once in this piece directly admit the direct assertion of improper leftward bias in the “Old media”? He does not. He sidesteps. The continuous use of “we” and “conservatives” is quite clear that he is never likely to agree with a conservative viewpoint. He does not say that the media needs to rethink their stance, only that the need to retool how they present their stance so that conservatives (bloggers, and Drudge, and Bozell, Farah, etc.) can’t complain so easily about it.

Hey, all you mouth-breathing bible-thumpers, we can see that you’re upset with what you think is our spin on the news. Well, we promise we’re going to correct that little problem so that you can come on back and trust us again as your primary source of information. Yes sir! We’re going to dress up that spin real pretty, and make it so you neanderthals can’t perceive our bias anymore. We know it works on you with beer commercials, we’re sure it’ll work on you with politics.

Freelancer on October 25, 2006 at 12:07 PM

I have the feeling Mark Halperin is up to something. He is a liberal and would not be doing this unless somehow he has a scheme that it will help liberals.

I suspect that the MSM realizes that the average person knows they are completely biased in favor of socialism. Liberals are very shallow people and believe that process is better than result, appearance better than reality, and words better than action.

He probably believe he can trick people by words into thinking that ABC is going to be balanced, while at the same time continuing its “advocacy” newscasts.

januarius on October 25, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Jason G

My condolescneces. I was a recruiter from ’88 – ’91, through Desert Storm, they wouldn’t let us off recruiting duty. It is a hard job and it is made all that much harder by all of the bad press recruiters get.
Hang in there It won’t last forever.

LakeRuins on October 25, 2006 at 12:09 PM

They don’t care if the whole world screams at them for being Leftist. You think they’re going to change? News business models show unequivocally, conservative talk sells and liberal talk fails, but they don’t care — they only want to war against reality. You think Rosie and Couric and Moyers care that most Americans think they’re pigs? They don’t. They’ll stand on the street corner and rage if they have to.

Lazarus on October 25, 2006 at 12:10 PM

I don’t think Halperin must completely lay down in front of the “we’re way lefty” accusation.

On Tuesday, Hugh Hewitt said that he had just finished pre-taping his Monday, Oct 30 show, the entire show with Mark Halperin, whom he described as:

“…one of the perfect pitch for the mainstream media, and we just went at it for three hours…Why? ‘Cause you need to know that the media counts for a 5-7 point disparity in Republican and Democratic strength in the polls and in the way they cover things; and so we just ‘rassle’…”

One doesn’t normally use terms like “go at it” and “rassle” when your guest is saying things like “Yea, Hugh, you’re completely right…”

eeyore on October 25, 2006 at 12:12 PM

Hang in there It won’t last forever.

14 more months and I go back to kicking down doors and shooting bad guys. This recruiting schtick is for the bords.

JasonG on October 25, 2006 at 12:26 PM

Er, birds.

JasonG on October 25, 2006 at 12:27 PM

I didn’t see when he’s going to be starring on the MSM’s morning shows about his book???

Does anybody have when his appearances are going to be???

Anybody??? Perky Katie?? Anybody?

HarryStar on October 25, 2006 at 12:27 PM

We know it works on you with beer commercials, we’re sure it’ll work on you with politics. (Freelancer)….

Dead on…..not ONE book in my house has an appendix. I keep asking for more pictures but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Limerick on October 25, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Mark Halperin == Rudolph Hess

Mr. Halperin could have garnered more attention if he had made a solo crossing from ABC and parachuted into the Fox News studio from a Messerschmitt Bf 110. Too bad they closed down and dismantled Spandau prison.

Okay, so maybe that’s a little over-the-top hyperbole, but the whacked-out extremists on the left frequently compare George Bush (and anyone else that disagrees with them) to Adolph Hitler. It just so happens that I am an avid believer in Isaac Newton’s 3rd law, viz. “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”

CyberCipher on October 25, 2006 at 12:34 PM

My guess would be that Halperin sees the writing on the wall at NBC, etc, and figures he has to turn ABC around to avoid seeing the giant axe. The obvious way to boost a MSM enterprise is to go after the otherhalf of the population that currently tunes you out. The motives may be financial, but if at the end there are no more puff pieces like the one on Pelosi, I’d be happier.

Clark1 on October 25, 2006 at 12:47 PM

With regard to Halperin’s book:

But they offer particularly valuable insights into inadequately understood players like Matt Drudge, whom the authors credit as one of the greatest forces behind the Clinton impeachment and the Gore and Kerry losses, and Karl Rove, a man who, regardless of one’s politics, “deserves unique notice for one reason: he is an exceptionally good political strategist.”

I think it’s pretty simple really – they are trying to understand the conservative movement, and how they can reach out to them (for the ratings game). On a much deeper level, I also think they are attempting to win over the more moderate conservative voters to their side.

Rick on October 25, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Sorry, Halperin.

Too little, too late.

You’re still a partisan shill for the Democrats.

georgej on October 25, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Halperin=Olberman

tormod on October 25, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Every other line from that guy was “Bill as a former colleague” “When we used to work together” etc. Was he trying to rub on some of Bill’s percieved mantel?

Iblis on October 25, 2006 at 2:52 PM

As I was watching.. it seemed Halperin had a hard time keeping a straight face.

GoodBoy on October 25, 2006 at 3:10 PM

Any intelligent person trying to persuade you that the media isn’t slanting Left bigtime is lying. Lying.

sirmyth on October 25, 2006 at 3:40 PM

It is interesting that Halperin chose to say this on national TV. There was a speaker at my school a few weeks ago, Don Hewitt – creator and former executive producer of CBS 60 minutes – who actually admitted the same thing when a professor was questioning him. Ironically, the professor was insisting that Dan Rather did the right thing in “breaking that truthful story about Bush’s military record.” I was quite surprised when Hewitt responded that the memo was proven to be false and that Rather would have definitely not done the same thing if it had been about Kerry instead of Bush. When the professor started to sputter about that implication, Hewitt explicitly stated, “Don’t try to tell me that the media doesn’t lean left. I’m in there, and that’s what they do.”

So… I don’t know why they are suddenly admitting this after years of denial… but, this incident doesn’t surprise me too much because of Hewitt’s similar statements.

tiekitwist on October 25, 2006 at 3:54 PM

David Halperin is a communist and is jut trying to sell his book of lies to make it look like they know they have a bias problem. It is far worse than that.

This is nothing but misdirection.

When I first started reading the Media Research Center, they would post 2 or three blatant bias stories a week. Now they could post almost every story the MSM chooses to frame and cover.

They have become the spokes holes for the DNC and make no attempt to cover-up the bias. Just look at the increase of stories covered at newsbusters.org on the MSM cheerleading for the DNC.

For those of you that think Hlaperin is not a communist, I suggest reading the great post over at newsbuster by SportPolitics, just scroll down and learn about Halperin.

Or you can read a great history lesson on Mark Halperin at frontpage.com.

Something needs to be done. The media is out of control and have become pravda which they used to criticize during the cold war. Hell, Ted Koppel even hired one of the Soviet pundits Vladamir Posener.

Hopefully the ratings slide will spell the end of propaganda disguised as News but do not count on it.

NBC and MSNBC have been subsidizing the left for years including promoting shows that loose money like Olbermann.

ScottyDog on October 25, 2006 at 4:23 PM

ReubenJCogburn on October 25, 2006 at 11:11 AM

I work with people who honestly believe CNN/ABC/NBC/CBS and the major metropolitan newspapers are paid shills for George W. Bush. It’s a fairly popular viewpoint in urban Wisconsin.

I can’t wrap my head around that sort of cognitive dissonance, so I keep my mouth shut.

Radish on October 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM

Diversity.

Rick on October 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM

I’ve got news for Halperin, MUCH MORE than half of America feels that the MSM is left of liberal. How far has this guy had his head up his arse all these years? Thing is, the libs can’t get over the fact that most folks get all of their news off of talk radio and the internet. The rest is just poop.

lynnv on October 25, 2006 at 4:33 PM

Radish on October 25, 2006 at 4:30 PM

You have my sympathy. But I bet it would be funny to mention FOX News or Hannity et al. just to watch them start foaming at the mouth.

Neil Gabler on FOX Media Watch is always raving (but then, raving is what these people do) about the “conservative news media”. And to someone as far out in left field as Neil is, I’m sure the media isn’t nearly liberal enough. That’s still a long way from being conservative, though.

ReubenJCogburn on October 25, 2006 at 5:20 PM

ScottyDog,

Holy Red Diapers, BatMan! Nice post. Lowell has the almost-unbelievable story on this dirtball.

Jaibones on October 26, 2006 at 12:13 AM

HOT AiR boys and girls, before we get carried away believing in miracles, we must consider that this might have been a blip slip; or a much needed business decision, aside from wishing to sell books.

Multi-faceted – now, how to go home?

Entelechy on October 26, 2006 at 1:49 AM

Sounds like an executive trying to tailor his product to the widest audience – and recognizing that more and more those that are not Moonbats hanging on the left don’t believe the MSM.

It is a step, perhaps more accurately a glance, in the right direction but I don’t believe the MSM is going to give up their left agenda with anything other than a complete shakeup and clean sweep of their news organization.

omegaram on October 26, 2006 at 3:31 PM