Panicky nutroots cry racism over another Corker ad

posted at 6:50 pm on October 25, 2006 by Allahpundit

Not the one with the faux playmate. That’s been pulled now at Corker’s request, ostensibly due to “tackiness” but actually because it’s served its purpose and isn’t worth any more political heat. But with Corker ahead and Ford acting uncharacteristically moronic of late, the nutroots can’t afford to let the Republican racism meme get away that easily.

Which brings us to this. Hosted, fittingly enough, on the server of Josh “I question the timing” Marshall.

This exchange from the comments almost makes it worth it:

On October 25, 2006 – 3:33pm CODemocrat said:

I dunno. I don’t think those are actually tom-toms, and it’s certainly not identifiably African. Those are just standard base drum booms you hear in the background on every negative ad. It’s more Wagnerian than racist. Maybe I’m missing something.

Poorly done ad, by the way.

On October 25, 2006 – 4:49pm Eric Stepp said:

Um… Wagner was a noted racist.

QED.

I’m going to e-mail noted right-wing pundit Kirsten Powers to get the non-insane liberal reaction to this.

Update: Forgot to mention — you should listen to the ad twice. The first time, focus on the drums. The second time, focus on the narration. They’re pointing to the music to argue that Corker’s calling Ford a savage when the whole point of the clip is to show how elitist and privileged Ford’s life has been compared to BC’s.

Comments

Does anyone have any duct tape?

My head just exploded.

F15Mech on October 25, 2006 at 6:53 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Hell, you can barely even hear the drums.

Ford’s campaign is starting to get desperate and they are making mistakes now that are causing him to dig himself deeper into the hole. Keep the heat on, Corker.

thirteen28 on October 25, 2006 at 7:06 PM

Now I don’t feel bad about reacting to the “tracker cracker” comment.

There should be the sound of a crying baby in the background, not drums.

NTWR on October 25, 2006 at 7:11 PM

ummm…sooo Elton John…A WHITE MAN is racist for including African style drums on the soundtrack of the Lion King?
George Harrison, the noted racist, was known to include sitar and tablas in much of his music. How did he get away with it?
And the voice of the singer on the ad, can anyone tell if she is white or not? Is she singing “ooohs” and “aaahs” and could that be an allusion to the stereotype of disadvantaged minorities having limited vocabularies?

ConstantSorrow on October 25, 2006 at 7:12 PM

Perhaps tribal. Perhaps a touch of sinister Wagnerianism. (-ism!!!)

I’d lean tribal myself. Survivor is on TV and this ad does invoke a “Corkers vs. Fords” theme. Unfortunately, however, a white or Republican can’t touch anything remotely African with a 10 foot pole.

I’m just glad this crap only started recently or we’d never have gotten Four Sticks.

JoeEgo on October 25, 2006 at 7:16 PM

I’m still waiting for somebody somewhere to explain to me exactly how the Playboy bunny bit was racist. Anybody know? I’m seriously clueless. I saw Chrissy Matthews hyperventilating over it today … and I don’t get it.

Um – the point was to criticize Ford for sermonizing from a church pew while simultaneously hanging out with hot babes. (Which, by the way, is the only thing I *support* about the guy!)

So showing this is … racist? Why? Because the woman was white? Well … aren’t 95% of the bunnies white?

Isn’t the truth that LIBERALS are racist if they think any image of a white woman with a black man equates to racism? My wife makes me watch Grey’s Anatomy – it’s got a couple that’s an Asian woman and a Black guy. Is it racist?

Somebody help me out. Usually I can at least partially understand even the most twisted lefty logic. On this one, I don’t remotely get the point.

Or is that the whole point – that it’s all faux outrage?

Professor Blather on October 25, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Ahhhh … the smell of nutroot desperation. Absolutely nothing Corker has done, said or shown is “racist”. It’s just all the nutroots have left, hammer Corker with every old, dried up accusation they can muster and hope one sticks.

From the looks of it, it’s all going to stick to them.

darwin on October 25, 2006 at 7:22 PM

Heh – tempest in a teapot.

I think the people that think this ad is racist are looking for racism.

I don’t get it. I agree with thirteen28 – you can barely hear the drums.

Timothy S. Carlson on October 25, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Polls are down-trending for Black Democrat Candidate
Call White Republican Candidate a racist because [make-up reason fill in blank here]

Campaigning 101, straight out of the Democrat Playbook.

That’s all you need to know.

fogw on October 25, 2006 at 7:31 PM

So let’s get this straight: now kettle drums are African?

jic on October 25, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Blather:

The interracial couple is racist, you see, because the Dixiecrats tried to keep it from happening for so long…

uh, um, lemme start again:

The interracial couple is racist, you see, because any real Republican is so controlled by the religious, pale-faced evangelicals that they’re inherently repulsed by the thought of a minority anywhere near their homes let alone a fellow white person. And because you don’t recognize that then pick one:
a. you’re a closeted or subconscious racist
b. you’re just another in the herd of sheeple directed by the Rethugs into thinking race shouldn’t matter… something. Because you should care about race!

I have to ask: does Ford even qualify as black? Is this like the Indian thing where he still gets the tribal benefits with as low as 1% blood? I don’t care about his skin color at all until Democrats whine and seethe about imagined racism. I’ve seen real racism. It’s seared (SEARED!!!) into my memory.

I knew racism. And you, Mr. Corker, are no racist.

JoeEgo on October 25, 2006 at 7:33 PM

And people say the Dems don’t have any ideas! I think they’ve shown themselves to be full of a panoply of paranoid fantasies. Their favorite has to be the hidden
racist intent in everything conservatives say or do. What a way to live.

Scotsman on October 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM

oh brother, some people just look for things to be offended over (sigh).
It’s just music for goodness sake!

Laura02420 on October 25, 2006 at 7:43 PM

Campaigning 101, straight out of the Democrat Playbook.

That’s all you need to know.

I should add ….. Democrats telling African-Americans the Republicans will burn down their churches if elected, is not in any way racist. (2004 Elections)

See how it works? Simple and straightforward. Republicans are evil racists, Dems are not. They are the caring party.

fogw on October 25, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Hell, you can barely even hear the drums.

That’s exactly what I thought as I listened to the ad. I was trying to pay attention to the drums, but they were so faint. Everything that can be said about this is was summed up well with

I think the people that think this ad is racist are looking for racism.

tiekitwist on October 25, 2006 at 7:52 PM

Does the racism charge actually work anymore? As of lately(think Alito) I only remember the libs trotting out this charge whenever they are desperate. I also don’t think Repubs should be as concerned about this charge today as they have been in the past. I mean, if these fools hear drums and think racism, I can’t imagine how that reflects positively on the fools.

bert169 on October 25, 2006 at 7:55 PM

Oh hey, this add is far worse than rascist. The audible harp chords surely imply that Corker is, in fact, a devine being while the drum beats sound a lot like what Hell must be like where, as we all know, Ford is Satan’s right-hand man. /sarc

CliffHanger on October 25, 2006 at 8:07 PM

I think it’s more liberal projection than anything.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 25, 2006 at 8:08 PM

What the…

Bob Corker started out delivering ice, picking up trash, saving up $8,000 by the time he was 25 and starting a construction business that eventually expanded to eighteen states.

They forgot to add “Bob Corker is next thing to MacGuyver running for office.”

Lone Star on October 25, 2006 at 8:14 PM

Kid from Brooklyn … you nailed it. That’s exactly what I posted on a local lefty blog just now …

Ho. Lee. Crap. Jungle drums? Tell me this is a parody of righteous indignation … please. A blonde woman winking at a black man is racist? Oh gag. Please, spare me. Would it be better if she was black too? Or would that play into even more racism by presuming that black women are bimbos. (Can a black be a bimbo? Or is that for white blondes only?) All these cries of racism over every little thing is seriously smacking of projection. Seriously, people. Get a grip.

Sure the TV ad was stupid and immature. It was also funny as hell. I’m thinking Ford fans are more upset that they didn’t think of this first, more than anything. But he still is getting a pass for his childish antics at the press conference, right?

I see how it is …

Jungle drums??? Give me a break!

Is it Nov 8 YET??? Please??? Is it this insane in any other state besides Tennessee? Let me outta here!

LissaKay on October 25, 2006 at 8:22 PM

Everytime a republican opens his mouth; he’s being a racist. Haven’t we all accepted this as reality a long time ago? ;)

lorien1973 on October 25, 2006 at 8:29 PM

I’m not that good at spotting racism like some of my more sensitive progressive countrymen are. Which is why I was scratching my head and going ‘huh?’ when the left starting saying those drums in the Corker campaign ad were so racist. Heck, I could barely hear them. But drums and black equals some sort of racial taboo. Go figure.

But I was wondering… If instead of using the racist drums on his ad, what if Corker used the same Halloween / Michael Meyers theme song and played it whenever Ford was mentioned? Would that be racist? Cuz I’m doing my best to figure this stuff out.

No drums. Just a spooky piano piece. No problem, right?

EFG on October 25, 2006 at 8:32 PM

Maybe the tom-tom is a suggestion that Ford to use his TomTom GPS NAVIGATOR 6 in able to find his way to Tennessee.

Wade on October 25, 2006 at 8:34 PM

I already know who I’m voting for in November based on what I know about who’s running in my area. It’ll be all Republican this time around, not because they’re the “limited government” types I’d prefer in a perfect world, but because they don’t scream racism! at the sound of a kick-drum.

That’s… that’s just… um, what’s the word? Oh yeah! Stupid.

Kadnine on October 25, 2006 at 8:35 PM

When in doubt, play the race card.

The Ugly American on October 25, 2006 at 8:41 PM

i’m reminded of the south park bit where they passed a law that restricted game hunting to self-defense. hunting went on unabated, but there had to be some pro forma declaration before firing. so the hunters would go marching though the woods all cocked and geared-up and when they saw a deer they’d yell, “he’s comin’ right for us!” before firing, and then they’d collect their game.

“he’s comin’ right for us!”

BANG!

“aww shucks! missed again.”

lol!

jummy on October 25, 2006 at 8:47 PM

Ford is an elitist Jungleman!

Actually, the only part of the ad the seemed a little over the top (or could be construed as over the top) is the part that seems to be critizing Ford for being single (“…Corker has made a family…”.

And I don’t care how many jungle drums you play; you can’t make Ford appear to be black.

frankj on October 25, 2006 at 8:52 PM

Sounds like a Cracker playing that drum.

Hening on October 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM

Some watch “King Kong” and see a giant gorilla rampaging

Some watch “King Kong” and see a racist movie framing colonialist attitudes and fears about uncivilized blacks

Guess which group is the real racist?

Darleen on October 25, 2006 at 9:16 PM

meanwhile over at DKos (aka adult daycare for radical liberals) they are saying that ALL republicans are closet racist… and if you don’t think this add or the TV spot is racist… then you are a racist. God, I hate Kos…

BadBrad on October 25, 2006 at 9:31 PM

i can’t find the link to listen to the ad. help me out?

jummy on October 25, 2006 at 9:32 PM

Some watch “King Kong” and see a giant gorilla rampaging

Guess which group is the real racist?

Darleen on October 25, 2006 at 9:16 PM

Ironically, on college campuses, they ask questions just like that, but strangely enough, their answer key is a little bit different from what your or my answer key would be.

No kidding, I went to one of those sort of cultural awareness things. It was about racism in the media and why asians were always being stereotyped.

It was all crazyness to me, but real crazy didn’t start until they showed a club flier for an asian night club. And on the flier was some girl in a catholic school girl outfit. Keep in mind, this club was run by asians, for asians. (nothing wrong with the club, but that was just their theme and clientel)

Yeah, that’s right, you guessed it. Whitey was responsible for that offensive image too. Cuz when the American’s occupied Japan after WWII, they were all a bunch of paedophilles who liked that sort of stuff. So some how that got transfered over to the U.S. decades later.
I was kinda unimpressed with that.

EFG on October 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM

Man, even stretching my imagination;

And turning my indignation amplifier all the way to 11……

I can’t imagine any person with even the slightest grasp on sanity finding something racist in that.

What next; it was recorded on standard brownish colored video/audio tape and is therefore a racist dig at a very ever so slightly non-pasty-white skinned person??

LegendHasIt on October 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM

jummy: Here is the direct link to the MP3:

LegendHasIt on October 25, 2006 at 9:39 PM

For the next act, I predict that they will claim subliminal racist/homophobic/misogynistic messages in a Corker ad, if played backwards at half speed …

LissaKay on October 25, 2006 at 9:41 PM

Sounds like a Cracker playing that drum.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

The Ugly American on October 25, 2006 at 9:58 PM

this is very wierd. i can’t even find the link when i look at the page source.

jummy on October 25, 2006 at 10:01 PM

Well call me Simon Legree then I guess.

The Ugly American on October 25, 2006 at 10:04 PM

that’s crazy. i had to go on my laptop to even see the link.

verdict: cirque du soliel.

jummy on October 25, 2006 at 10:18 PM

If the use of drums to convey “danger” is racist, then Battlestar Galactica is a huge KKK propaganda film.

DaveS on October 25, 2006 at 10:25 PM

Just listened to it and it sounds more Drums Along the Mohawk than African.

Is Ford, by chance, Native-American?

harrison on October 25, 2006 at 10:29 PM

Man, I am so darn rascist I didn’t even know Ford was black. I tend not to notice those things unless they’re, you know…really obvious.

Sheesh.

Bob's Kid on October 25, 2006 at 10:50 PM

DaveS read my mind!

JoeEgo on October 25, 2006 at 10:54 PM

I hear that ad here in TN every day and being Black I never once even noticed the drums or was offended. I guess I’m one of those dumb voters that actually listens to words :-) .

Now that I know about the drums I still can’t say it’s somehow offensive. They don’t really sound like some effort to paint Ford as some kind of “tribal” minded man. Just a contrast in sounds, to point out Ford’s so much an outsider to TN, that he gets most of his campaign funds from outside of this state. It’s a musical contrast and nothing more.

I also agree that they might not even be African drums, but I’m an American, so I can’t really say I do any African drumming to know for certain. The drums don’t make me think of anything African.

It’s the Liberals that adore the term “African” American, but cry that someone they attribute the term to might have been associated with something African.

The anybody can contribute encyclopedia says that tom-toms are of native American or Asian origins. Some other African drum is sometimes called a tom-tom, but Harrison probably is right about them being of American Indian origins. I was born here, I’m a native American :-) .

The cries over Ford are just so lame. A clear sign they are desperate.

IndependentConserv on October 25, 2006 at 11:09 PM

You’re all missing the important point of this post:

Could AP have finally been successful?

dalewalt on October 25, 2006 at 11:47 PM

Or is that the whole point – that it’s all faux outrage?

The commentary of the left is perplexing. I too can’t seem to find the inference. Maybe it’s cuz I don’t have their super-secret-secret-agent racism decoder ring. I should have sent those box-tops of Huff-n-Puff and Flakey-flakes cereal.

geckomon on October 25, 2006 at 11:53 PM

Ok, I just listened to those drums. They are Timpanies. The traditional “African” Style of drum is what we would know as the Bongo Drum. Sorry, no racism here. Just Libbies grasping at straws.

wearyman on October 26, 2006 at 12:02 AM

Okay, now I swore I just heard a Kookaburra.

The Ugly American on October 26, 2006 at 2:02 AM

I just listened to the ad and read the comments on the site where it’s hosted. It looks to me as if a bunch of folks over there have been smoking way too much crack.

p.v. cornelius on October 26, 2006 at 2:29 AM

I don’t think drums are organic to Africa alone.

We all know how well the race card worked for Cynthia McKinney.

Black Adam on October 26, 2006 at 7:28 AM

All righty. It’s time to bring the heat.

I’m a Southeast Tennesseean and an active Republican in the county (Rhea – ray not raheeuh) on the north border of Corker’s hometown. I have personally met and shook hands with Bob more times than I can count in the last few years. Bob’s not a racist, and the flap over both these ads has been very WELCOME to those of us on the correct side of the Tennessee aisle. You see, it simply indicates that Ford realizes he’s beat – it’s desperation folks. wooohooo!

But, back to bringin’ the heat. I have also personally met Mr. Lockhart, the head man at WGOW, whom the linked article quotes as saying “They’re freakin’ jungle drums…yeah it’s racist.” Well, guess what? Mr. Lockhart’s not gonna be appreciating the heat I’m about to bring down on his little world. I truly hope they made up the quote and attrib’d it to him, because a man in his position has got no business going on the record with a statement like that. And in Corker’s hometown to boot! Here locky locky locky – time to take your medicine!

Oh and by the way – I’m an 8th grade math teacher by trade, so I’m in class with about 20 teenagers right now. After reading all the posts here, I have to admit, they’re all staring incredulously at me trying to figure out why I’ve been rolling under my desk laughing for the past 10 minutes.

Priceless.

y2church on October 26, 2006 at 9:19 AM

Hey, the ad isn’t racist. Playboy is racist.

Now remember, I only get playboy from time to time to “read the articles”. I have noticed a lack of black ladies in Playboy.

Perhaps if Playboy wasn’t so racist, there would have been an opportunity for a black lady in the ad.

Ban Playboy — except the centerfolds.

BobK on October 26, 2006 at 10:28 AM

Look,

didn’t Ford call the Republican candidates running in the primaries the three stooges?

Hmmmm…

Throw mud……

Go to a naked Playboy Party…..

Call yourself a lawyer (numerous times)

Lie about your families political problems

Lie about the Playboy Party……

Scream when mud gets on your shoes

Typical….

EricPWJohnson on October 26, 2006 at 10:34 AM

The subtle drums of defeat are deafening to the loser.

right2bright on October 26, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Conservative = racist. That’s a fact. You all need to look deep inside yourselves and realize the truth – you may not be aware of it, but you are racist. I realize some of us are minorities here, and that is worse – that makes us “sellouts”, and that means that those of us that are conservative and a minority deserve to be insulted (racial slurs are allowed).

Rick on October 26, 2006 at 2:54 PM

Rick wrote:

Looky here cracker tracker! Who you callin’ a racist, boy?? We gonna send some o’ dem North African YOOTHZ over to tune up yo’ car and teach you how to be Po-Litticle Co-rekness, homey.

And now, back to Chris Matthews and Screwball…..

Left_Behind on October 26, 2006 at 3:41 PM

Hopefully evolution will breed the moonbats out of extinction. Hmmm…..then I might have to give some credence to the religion of the “godless”. Heh

MarkB on October 26, 2006 at 4:23 PM

Oh, no! I said “crack” instead of “weed.” It’s true! I am a racist! AUUGGH!

p.v. cornelius on October 26, 2006 at 7:00 PM