Video: Cardin uses Fox in Steele, Bush attack ad (Update: Cardin voted against stem cell research)

posted at 11:48 am on October 24, 2006 by Ian

Following his appearance in an advertisement for Missouri Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill, Canadian-born actor Michael J. Fox vouches for another Democratic Senate hopeful in Maryland. Congressman Ben Cardin is using Fox in a similiar ad, where the actor, suffering from Parkinson’s disease, is seen gyrating while he tries to persuade voters not to vote for Republican candidate Michael Steele.

UPDATE: Michael Steele’s campaign has exposed Cardin’s vote against stem cell research:

TEMPLE HILLS, MD – Today, Michael Steele released the following statement setting the record straight on stem cell research:

Michael Steele said, “There is only one candidate in this race who voted against stem cell research and it’s Congressman Ben Cardin. Ben Cardin had a chance to support stem cell research that would not destroy human embryos, and he voted against it – not because of his beliefs on the issue, but as a transparent political stunt. Both Senators Barbara Mikulski and Paul Sarbanes voted for this legislation. Ben Cardin wanted to politicize the issue instead of getting something done, so he voted against it. Marylanders deserve better than Congressman Cardin’s continued Washington double-talk, mistruths and sheer political gamesmanship on an issue as important as stem cell research.”

On September 6, 2006, the Frederick News Post reported: “[Cardin] opposes suggestions that stem cell research is acceptable if the embryo isn’t destroyed. (Liam Farrell, “Pursuing Change,” Frederick News Post, September 2, 2006)

Michael Steele added, “I am an enthusiastic supporter of cord blood, adult stem cell and embryonic stem cell research that does not destroy the embryo, and I fully support expanding innovations in technology that make it possible to treat and prevent disease without the willful destruction of human embryos.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

As I understand it. MJF will exhibit that behavior when he’s off his meds. That’s probably for effect.

Stem cell research isn’t prohibited. It’s just not funded by the federal government.

The argument, as presented, is usually misleading.

Corky on October 24, 2006 at 11:56 AM

I wonder how many of these he is going to do.

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Fox needs to read more Krauthammer:

Compassion? There’s nothing less compassionate than to construct a political constituency of sufferers (and their loved ones) by falsely and cruelly intimating that their disease is on the very cusp of cure if only the President would stop playing politics with the issue.

This column was written during the 2004 campaign in response to the crude demagoguery of Kerry and Edwards.

Slublog on October 24, 2006 at 12:15 PM

I guess the antidote would be a GOP ad with the aborted fetuses.

Do you think the dems would cry “foul”?

Labamigo on October 24, 2006 at 12:16 PM

Let’s not forget that Michael J. Fox probably did more in the 80′s to present the image of a bumbling, uncaring, money hungry republican to the world than anyone. I feel sorry for him, but I couldn’t care less what he has to say about politics.

dementia unbound on October 24, 2006 at 12:17 PM

I guess the antidote would be a GOP ad with the aborted fetuses.

Do you think the dems would cry “foul”?

They already do, and that’s just when college kids set up displays of crosses that represent the number of aborted babies.

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Anything to help Canadians!

Vincenzo on October 24, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Perhaps MJF and some of his wealthy Hollywood elite friends can fund embryonic stem cell research out of their own pockets if it’s as important or promising as they contend.

thirteen28 on October 24, 2006 at 12:20 PM

If the Dems think it’s OK to use victims with medical afflictions in their campaign ads against the Republicans, I’m sure they wouldn’t object if videos of abortions were used against them.

Whadayathink?

fogw on October 24, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Canadian-born actor Michael J. Fox

I think he became a U.S. citizen.

Yeah, I know my link ain’t the best, but oh well.

Anyway, what is the point of adding “Canadian-born” to his name?

It doesn’t really seem relevant.

The NYT’s ended up calling Michelle Malkin a “firecracker” because they decided that they didn’t need to preface all of their commments with “Filipina-American Michelle Malkin”. Well, they also did it because they are idiots, but that’s another story.

Very respectfully,

EFG on October 24, 2006 at 12:22 PM

If embryonic stem cell research is so promising, then why has it been shown to cause cancer in rats? Yeah, that’s the perfect way to cure Parkinson’s, give ‘em cancer instead!

More proof that just because someone is a victim, doesn’t mean they’re automatically right.

corbettw on October 24, 2006 at 12:23 PM

For some reason, I don’t think this ad will play effectively in Maryland: A rich, white, liberal Canadian telling Marylanders not to vote for Michael Steele.

I think Democrats are starting to get desperate right now. The polls are narrowing in favor of Republican candidates, which they always do before a major election. Many poll companies have a soft spot for liberals, and they know polls have the potential for a bandwagon effect in the weeks before an election.

januarius on October 24, 2006 at 12:24 PM

As I understand it. MJF will exhibit that behavior when he’s off his meds

Take your medcine b****. By the way, recent studies shows injecting stem cells into the brain causes cancer. I support all research. This stuff is still a theory. We have not even figured out of all the mechanisms involved in cell growth, especially enzymatic mechanisms. This recent result did not suprise me. Rushing to answers leads to crap. As for MJF, he will not see a cure, till scientific focus on the most important thing. Scientists are freaking out about global warming due to a 1 degree increase. So bitch! As for federal funding, I support the limited funding because no progrss has been reported in 60 yrs. Imagine that. I did not start when Bush took office.

Ouabam on October 24, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Does anyone really cast their vote solely based on one issue??

budorob on October 24, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Fox needs to read more Krauthammer:

Slublog on October 24, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Indeed. Everybody needs to read more Krauthammer.

This is just more victim infallibility from the Dems. Nothing new there, but it’s completely transparent now that Ann Coulter called them out over it.

ReubenJCogburn on October 24, 2006 at 12:32 PM

This is the second thread on a similar ad here, go check the meat of the posts there…

Video: Claire McCaskill’s Michael J. Fox Ad

Freelancer on October 24, 2006 at 12:35 PM

Does anyone really cast their vote solely based on one issue??

budorob on October 24, 2006 at 12:30 PM

I did not until the Jihad against me

infidel on October 24, 2006 at 12:37 PM

So, Cardin approves of a dishonest ad, eh? The one word missing is “embryonic”. I’m shocked …NOT.

JohnnyD on October 24, 2006 at 12:53 PM

I wonder if MJF would want to get a healthy dose of Stem Cells after reading this.

Schmo on October 24, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Does anyone really cast their vote solely based on one issue??

There are millions of people who vote solely on the abortion issue. Everyone has their pet issue that, no matter what else, pushes them one way or the other.

lorien1973 on October 24, 2006 at 1:02 PM

Sorry didn’t pick up the link.

Schmo on October 24, 2006 at 1:03 PM

Esthier, according to his Wikipedia entry, Fox has already done one for Jim Doyle in Wisconsin, and plans to appear at events for Robert Menendez and Tammy Duckworth.

FWIW, neither the Wiki nor his Foundation for Parkinson’s Research “About” page entry notes his becoming an American citizen, though the Wiki entry does have a category link to “naturalized citizens” at the bottom.

Dusty on October 24, 2006 at 1:04 PM

Infidel,

Good point. I concurr. But it’s like 2004 all over again. The Democrats are expected to win big. I remember voting for W, thinking, oh well, I exercised my right. The next day was a big surprise.

To quote Yogi Berra, “it’s like deja vu all over again.”

budorob on October 24, 2006 at 1:05 PM

How many of HIS children would he be willing to sacrifice in the name of ‘taxpayer funded research’. It is a sticky discussion, but private enterprise is fully capable of taking the helm, and efficiently so.

wv2sc on October 24, 2006 at 1:07 PM

like Ben Affleck, i no longer have respect for Michael J. Fox

Starblazer on October 24, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Does anyone really cast their vote solely based on one issue??

budorob on October 24, 2006 at 12:30 PM

For me, Budorob, the answer can be yes. All things being equal, a candidate that is a proponent of tax increases will never get my vote.

For all of the Libs that would say that will hurt the poor and needy, I say let the Congress cut spending elsewhere to fund necessary programs. The “bridge to nowhere” or the “Big Dig” would be a couple of good examples.

Eventually, if they don’t have extra funds to waste, they’ll have to start cutting – and both parties are equally guilty of wasteful spending.

I’m BacaDog, and I approve this message

BacaDog on October 24, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Doggone italics………….we really need a preview button.

BacaDog on October 24, 2006 at 1:19 PM

As an aside though, what’s the deal with Fox anyway. Has he ever aged? He still looks the same as he did on Family Ties, except that Alex would die before doing a liberals campaign ad.

And thanks, Dusty. Though I would have preferred some good news instead of this onslaught of sadistic commercials.

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 1:35 PM

Not that it would matter.

“I support embryonic stem cell research. However, I am cautious of the science and want the scientists and politicians to be smart in how we approach it,” he said on WBAL in Baltimore. “I don’t want this research to go forward without some moral compass to guide the research.”

A Roman Catholic and former seminary student, Steele opposes abortion and the death penalty. But he said yesterday that he supports Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.’s proposal to spend $20 million in state money on stem cell research. The field is considered promising for the development of treatments for a host of diseases, but it requires destruction of an embryo, which critics say is tantamount to taking a human life.

Vote Steele and we’ll save MJF and resurrect Christopher Reeve!

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Nice. So not only is MJF’s ad a sad attempt to confuse an issue with emotions, but it’s also a flat out lie.

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 1:39 PM

A Roman Catholic and former seminary student, Steele opposes abortion and the death penalty. But he said yesterday that he supports Republican Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.’s proposal to spend $20 million in state moneyon stem cell research. The field is considered promising for the development of treatments for a host of diseases, but it requires destruction of an embryo, which critics say is tantamount to taking a human life.

Pablo, I thought we put your sad talking points to sleep over on that other thread, but here you come….
Steele is clearly trying to run down the chimerical political middle and is from the Arnold Schwartzenhegger “Republican Lite” wing of the GOP…anti-death penalty & pro-ESC research and he tried to distance himself from President Bush.
As a black politician, it’s not easy running as a Republican and a Conservative (albeit a weak one), but Steele’s heart doesn’t seem to be in it.
I’d like to seem him win, but the electorate has been trending more Conservative not less so it may cost him.
If he’s a staunch pro-life Catholic, ESC research and human cloning are going to bother him.
Plus, I don’t like to hear any Conservative GOP talk so enthusiastically about spending state or federal monies on what should be private economy projects.
The Democrat Party is below the level of sewer scum to run this ad in now 2 states…and I have a feeling there will be other state versions popping up soon, like Pennsylvania; no Senator has fought harder for the sanctity of human life than Rick Santorum and they’re not going to go after Talent and Steele without taking on Rick.

Jen the Neocon on October 24, 2006 at 2:01 PM

you guys have to listen to Rush, or go to his homeplace. He is destroying the Fox video with facts.

Ropera on October 24, 2006 at 2:11 PM

meant homepage

Ropera on October 24, 2006 at 2:12 PM

Krauthammer definitely has it right. And remember, he is a Harvard educated physician who has a spinal cord injury. If there were any chance that there was good science behind ESC, don’t you think he would get behind it? I’m just sayin’

Spurlee on October 24, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Jen, how many NIH research review panels have you sat on?

So you think he’s lying? And that people should vote for him because of it?

I’m sure that bill Bush vetoed didn’t pass both houses of Congress by a wide margin. Surely, I’m just parroting that left wing talking point planted by Mike Castle and Bill Frist.

You’re not very bright, are you Jen?

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 2:27 PM

The Donks are so desperate for power, it has addled their brains. They can’t keep their positions straight anymore.

Mallard T. Drake on October 24, 2006 at 2:29 PM

Either way, Fox is being used as nothing but a tool….

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Yup.

I would have drawn the line differently. I would have permitted the conduct of all research using cells drawn from the discarded embryos of fertility clinics (unused and ultimately doomed) but not from embryos created purposely and wantonly for nothing but use by science.

That guy is wicked smaaat.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 2:32 PM

Why does Michael J. Fox hate baby embryos?

natesnake on October 24, 2006 at 2:33 PM

I’m a celeb, so I deserve to be saved no matter what the moral costs may be.

The Ugly American on October 24, 2006 at 2:33 PM

All this from the party what thinks it is perfectly alright to pull a full term baby out of the womb by the feet, drill a hole in the baby’s head and suck the baby’s brains out.

Wade on October 24, 2006 at 2:33 PM

That reminds me of the South Park episode where Christopher Reeves would drink fetuses like a Capri Sun.

Sad. Sick. And disgustingly funny.

natesnake on October 24, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Uh, Pablo, I’m pretty sure (even though I’m not too smart, as you surmised) that IVF clinics don’t just throw embryos away as you imply.
I believe that they consult with the donor parents as to how they want them to be “destroyed” or even if they want them to be destroyed.
I don’t believe that many parents would agree to donate their unused reproductive materials to science, but you never know.
BTW, Pablo, if you were the donor father of an IVF baby or baby-making effort, would you like it if you and your wife’s fertilized embryos were used for ESC research or cloning?

Jen the Neocon on October 24, 2006 at 2:40 PM

If you’re just pretty sure, how about if you go look it up?

The “parents” ultimately decide what happens to embryos that they don’t use, unless they default on storage fees, in which case the only option a facility has is to discard them. Of course, if you had read the last thread on this, you’d already know that.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Pablo, isn’t that what Jen just said?

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 2:50 PM

Ouch! That’s gonna leave a mark.

The exploding sound you hear is this ad campaign blowing up in Cardin’s face.

thirteen28 on October 24, 2006 at 2:51 PM

The House on Wednesday failed to override President Bush’s first veto of his five-and-a-half-year administration, cast earlier in the day when he rejected a bill that would have provided more federal funding for embryonic stem cell research.

The vote, 235-193, was less than the two-thirds needed to forward the bill to the Senate for its consideration.

Click here to read President Bush’s letter to the House of Representatives.

“If this bill were to become law, American taxpayers for the first time in our history would be compelled to fund the deliberate destruction of human embryos. Crossing this line would be a grave mistake and would needlessly encourage a conflict between science and ethics that can only do damage to both and harm our nation as a whole,” Bush wrote in a letter to the House explaining his decision to veto the measure.

This from a story on FoxNews about the House measure that failed to block President Bush’s veto of the Stem Cell Research Bill.
Notice the numbers don’t fall in your favor.

And I’m not gonna look up what happens to embryos at IVF clinics because I don’t want to know, frankly.
The whole subject makes me like throwing up.

Jen the Neocon on October 24, 2006 at 2:52 PM

That’s got to be one of the stupidest moves of all time by Cardin.

Rick on October 24, 2006 at 2:55 PM

well played by michael steele
this man deserves to be a senator

Defector01 on October 24, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Notice the numbers don’t fall in your favor.

Uh, Jen? That was 235-193 in favor of passing the bill. They needed 290 to override Bush’s veto. Had you read that last thread instead of shooting your mouth off on it, you’d have known that too.

Then you probably ought to stop acting like you do know, because you don’t.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 3:02 PM

Pablo, isn’t that what Jen just said?

No, she said they don’t discard them. They most certainly do.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 3:03 PM

I’m sure she just misread the article, but a 42 count lead is hardly impressive in my mind.

And Pablo, what of the comments at the end? Is Bush just ignorant on the issue, or is he correct when he says it will destroy life?

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 3:07 PM

She said she believed they consult with the donor parents, which is what you said.

She said:

You said:

The “parents” ultimately decide what happens to embryos that they don’t use

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 3:12 PM

Personally, I feel for Michael J Fox and his family. However, I just can’t shake the greasy feeling this gives me.

It just seems so sordid.

Now with the new statement from Steele, it looks like Mr. Fox should’ve done his homework a little better. Cardin should be ashamed.

BacaDog on October 24, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Thank you, Esthier.
Like most Leftists, he’s not real strong in the reading comprehension department.

Jen the Neocon on October 24, 2006 at 3:25 PM

calm down kids

shooter on October 24, 2006 at 3:28 PM

You think Pablo’s a Leftist?

jic on October 24, 2006 at 3:30 PM

Even though I have empathy for MJF, he should go talk to George Soros.

Private funding can do much more than Government bureaucracy in finding Medical breakthroughs.

Leave Government to do what it does best.

One_American on October 24, 2006 at 3:33 PM

I think the hollywood types give themselves far to much importance

They need to get over themselves.

BobK on October 24, 2006 at 3:39 PM

You think Pablo’s a Leftist?

I personally do not think he’s a Lefty.

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 3:39 PM

Esthier, maybe not…but he’s starting to “think” and talk like one.
Or maybe he doesn’t know it yet.
His views on the dignity of human life and conception are decidely NOT on the Right. Betcha he thought Terry Schiavo should be starved and dehydrated to death, too.
Whatever. ~shrug~

Jen the Neocon on October 24, 2006 at 3:44 PM

OK, but I was repling to Jen the Neocon, who said:

jic on October 24, 2006 at 3:45 PM

Esthier,

It’s a bank. The donors own the “deposit”, until they don’t pay the fees. Then what can the facility do with the “deposit”? Discard it. That is their only option. They don’t have any choices to consult with the parents about.

Jen,

What on Earth, aside from your ignorance, makes you think I’m a leftist?

I’d suggest you spend some time with the search function, but I can see that you prefer running your yap to actually knowing what you’re talking about.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 3:46 PM

I personally do not think he’s a Lefty.

You would be correct, of course. And you acquit yourself well in debate, Esthier. Our little friend could learn a thing or two from you.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 3:48 PM

I don’t know, this seems to be a little frivious to me as far as the disagreement goes.

I mean if the donors quit paying, I assume (since storage is hardly cheap) that the banks will contact the owners and see if they would like to start paying again or if they would like to have their “donations” destroyed.

And just taking from what you said earlier, it seems they also have an option to donate the embryos to science. Is that not right?

Those seem like a few options to me.

But like I said, as far as the discussion goes, I really don’t mean to harp on this aspect.

OK, but I was repling to Jen the Neocon, who said:

jic on October 24, 2006 at 3:45 PM

I figured you were. I just decided to reply anyway.

Esthier, maybe not…but he’s starting to “think” and talk like one.

I can see your point here, but this is a relatively divided topic as far as political parties go. I can even appreciate using embryos that have already been discarded. I just do not believe it’s a path we want to start down.

Esthier on October 24, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Pablo, very few on the right can stomach abortion, human cloning or tooling around with human embryos for any reason, no matter how compelling the act of Christopher Reeve, Michael Fox or Ron Reagan, who used his own father’s Alzheimer’s disease (while he was living) to plug ESC research and cloning on MSNBC.
Leftist Lib Democrats all.
If you are a Conservative or think of yourself as one, you have some soul searching or party switching to do because pro-Frankenstein is not where the Right stands.
We give Arnold a pass because of Maria’s influence and the strange state of California.
Either that or you have some disease like MJF that you desperately hope will be cured by this evil science. If so, I’m sorry.
But as a public and political policy matter, ESC research has been weighed in the balance by the “silent majority” of this country and it has been found seriously wanting.
Frankly, I’m surprised that the Dems would resurrect this issue for the election, as it was pretty much dead in the water after Bush’s veto.
Granted, the “gay” marriage thing wasn’t working for them, the “cut and run from Iraq” thing must not be working, they’re abyssmal on national security and they don’t dare tell people where they stand on immigration (Hint: Open borders+amnesty), so I guess they chose this.
I Love the smell of Fox in the morning…smells like VICTORY.

Jen the Neocon on October 24, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Impeach Pablo!

Ropera on October 24, 2006 at 4:47 PM

I think Christopher Reeve eexplains it best here:

Also, i’m gonna have to run out and get some daramamine if this goes on much longer.

mattshu on October 24, 2006 at 5:26 PM

It seems as though some of the newbs didn’t do too much reading before joining last week.

As an example of his support, Steele cited research at the National Institutes of Health, which he said involved scientists extracting the cells they need “without destroying the embryo.”

That sounds interesting.

BlueStateBlues on October 24, 2006 at 5:27 PM

Cord blood as a stem cell source is completely bogus.

That was comment made on a liberal website. Anybody have a link or info regarding that comment? They were objecting to the fact that Cardin had voted against the bills.

Benny on October 24, 2006 at 5:32 PM

The parents do, and only they have the right to do so. Same goes for adopting them out. The facility has no say in any of that. The only option they can ever excercise is the discard option. They have no ownership interest in the embryo at all, so they have no say in it’s disposition, barring “eviction”. So if the parents just forget about whatever they haven’t used, they get discarded, without any other option.

So, parents have several options. The facility has one and it can only excercise that under a limited circumstance; abandonment.

Does that make sense?

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 5:40 PM

I did not know that Conservative was a party. But I’d like to know what you think I should tell Bill Frist, Orrin Hatch, Charles Krauthammer, Nancy Reagan, John Warner, Mike Castle, Ralph Regula, Duke Cunningham and well, I’m getting tired of typing the names of conservatives who agree with me and not you, but you get my point.

On second thought, you probably don’t. I think I’ll be OK with that.

You really shouldn’t presume to speak on the level of thought I’ve given the issue. You have no clue.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 5:48 PM

Blue State Blues,

Why, thank you. :-) I’m Pablo, and I approve this message.

That sounds interesting.

It sounds wrong, too, but not by too much. I don’t think the current funding program authorizes NIH to do that, and I haven’t heard of it going on there. The first I heard of such a thing was just a couple of months ago when a private company claimed to have devised a process to cultivate a stem cell line from a single stem cell, which can be taken without damaging the embryo. That was Advanced Cell Technology.

If it’s for real, it’s major league groundbreaking.

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 5:59 PM

Pablo,

So Steele was wrong to credit the NIH with the research, but the research is still being done elsewhere, correct?

Still sounds interesting.

BlueStateBlues on October 24, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Knock it off, you two. You’re on the same side, generally.

The bottom line is that we don’t know yet whether ANY kind of stem cells will or won’t do what MJ Fox is claiming or not.
I read an article about adult stem cells, the Non-PC stem cells, that said most research shows they are the most promising, so far. They don’t have that pesky problem of non-stop cell generation that can look a lot like invasive cancer that embryonic stem cells seem to have.

The big problem I see is that by making our culture comfortable with the idea of taking an embryo (which I consider a life) and conducting scientific experiments on it, we will be ushering in a new era of “cows” (moms) that will be used to mass produce such embryos or just give up their eggs, while simultaneously further decreasing the value and meaning of conception.

I don’t understand why we should use embryos to conduct research on stem cells when we have an abyss of knowledge to gain from adult stem cells and cord blood stem cells. Once we have exhausted our research on non-life-detructive forms of stem cell research we can revisit this embryonic debate.

For now, though, those who would push embryonic stem cell research with knowledge that we have the option of learning just about as much from cord-blood and adult stem cells are just those who;
A. are uneducated on what we know and don’t know so far or
B. are interested in Eugenics and the culture of death.

And, since we’re doing the whole infalibility doctrine thing here, I guess I should say that while I’m not an expert on biological engineering I am a biological/bioresource engineer who is quite interested in the “Frankenstein” possibilities associated with toying with plant cells.

NTWR on October 24, 2006 at 6:15 PM

That’s the good stuff that we still need to learn about! I hope it’s solid.

NTWR on October 24, 2006 at 6:18 PM

Yes, but there are a lot of skeptics of the company, and you really can’t call it solid until someone else replicates the work. But if they can really do it…wow!

They claim to have done it repeatedly.

Apples and oranges. Both have their place, and ESC research is ongoing, all over the world. Several of our states are funding it as well, like Steele’s.

A. are uneducated on what we know and don’t know so far or
B. are interested in Eugenics and the culture of death.

C should be the scientists who study this stuff, and D should be just about every disease advocacy foundation on the planet. Where do Frist, Krauthammer, Lott, et al fit on the list?

Pablo on October 24, 2006 at 6:34 PM

Oopps, by skimming the skirmish I missed the crux of the argument-what to do with already created embryos… My bad!
That’s a tough one. Can’t say that I can spout off on that issue. Glad it’s not my job! I feel bad for parents that had a bunch created and only used one or two.

NTWR on October 24, 2006 at 6:38 PM

How quickly was this tossed together? I’m impressed.

Freelancer on October 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM

The Steele campaign freaking rocks. Great detective work on the research.

SisterToldjah on October 24, 2006 at 6:49 PM

Ok, you’ve got me there. I tend to take the scientists out of the equation since most politicos are only interested in bending scientific research to suit their agendas.
Frist is irrelevent IMO (political hack), but Krauthammer-that’s a man I respect. I guess he’d fit in the D(ish), C, and A category… Keep in mind I put everyone in the A category. It is emerging science after all. But, if the embryonic and adult stem cells are apples and oranges (which I did not know, are they really? I thought a stem cell was a stem cell, except that ESC’s grow aggressively?)it makes my point a bit moot.

It’s tough to take a bunch of voters who don’t really understand this issue and make it an issue for them. I can see why the dems want to control it.

NTWR on October 24, 2006 at 6:52 PM

How sad for Mr. Fox, to have the disease but also to be used as a single-issue talking head. Is having Parkinsons all he wants to be remembered for? The ad will pull a lot of heartstrings.

Perhaps Mr. Fox would care to share with the electorate his view on other issues, so we can better judge if he has other motives for making this ad?

Jeremayakovka on October 24, 2006 at 8:14 PM

Unfortunately, when Fox is dragged out in front of the cameras after he has not taken his medication for a few days, the image the public sees is a lasting impression.

I feel sorry for him because even though he has his senses about him I think he is being manipulated by the Dems. It is evident in that he is making 5 of these ads. I can understand his frustration and motive but I also believe that he has another agenda as well.

He made the ad for Cardin though Cardin voted against SCR. Fox had to know that. He has his foundation and is following this closely. If he did not know then one certainly would think it prudent to find out before he made an ass of himself.

In any event, he backs the guy who voted against it and will not support the guy who would have voted for it (Steele will vote for a bill on ESCR is the embryo is not destroyed). This is where I think the second agenda comes in. In addition to the stem cell issue, he wants Democrats in office.

He backed Kerry who was going to make Christopher Reeve walk?? I believe that it is kind of pathetic and I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Did Fox know Cardin voted Nay?

Big Dog on October 24, 2006 at 9:59 PM

It’s a shameless, classless ad. I used to be a fan of Michael J. Fox, but not anymore.

Luckily, stem cell research is not the main issue in this election.

The voters know what matters and will see this as slimey and vote for Steele.

Fox is Canadian, he should pester his own country’s medical research. I’m sure there are other Canadians who have Parkinsan, but they’re not hollywood millionaires, they can’t get US doctors, they have to rely on Canada. So I guess he’ll bring all the Canadians to the USA for treatment??

flagwaver on October 24, 2006 at 10:21 PM

OT – back in the day (for us middle-aged folks) I think Michael J. Fox would have been the perfect “Robin” for the Batman movies.

flagwaver on October 24, 2006 at 11:15 PM

I thought that Cardin has Jerry Spriner running his campaign – looks like he has the Keystone Cops helping- GO STEELE GO-

iam7545 on October 24, 2006 at 11:34 PM

Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox political ad
Conservative talk show host accuses actor of faking Parkinson’s disease

This is the Op/ed headline masquerading as a news story over on MSNBC’s homepage. Wow! It is like they have no shame. Blatant effort to misquote and take out of context. I feel like I have just entered the Twilight Zone!

geckomon on October 25, 2006 at 10:01 AM