This is CNN

posted at 7:51 am on October 23, 2006 by Bryan

CNN’s terrorist public relations
Rep. Hunter: Remove CNN embeds
CNN’s Eason Jordan resigns
CNN retracts Tailwind story

Download Vent for your iPod

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I appears to be time for CNN to move their HQ from Atlanta to the Middle East.

Helloyawl on October 23, 2006 at 8:09 AM

Great Vent, Michelle. I love how you call CNN, “you Tools”. heh heh heh. AS someone once said, “They’re not anti-American, they’re just on the other side.” Just like how the BBC has admitted their liberal agenda, I think CNN should just come right out and say it. At least we’ll all know where they’re coming from.

DakRoland on October 23, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Traitors.

brazilnut on October 23, 2006 at 8:19 AM

You know what’s sad? It doesn’t even matter. No one seems to care about this. It seems that there are too many people who just hate Bush and will do anything to change – even if it means lying.

I’m voting GOP this year – but I think that channels like CNN and the rest of the MSM have too much influence. It’s gonna be an interesting 2 years, I fear….

Dr. Gecko on October 23, 2006 at 8:29 AM

as long as CNN has it’s liberal viewers, it will continue to spew it’s anti-american agenda.

Starblazer on October 23, 2006 at 8:40 AM

This just proves that the MSM is the enemy within our borders.

CNN has been blocked on all of our TV’s in the house for years, I see that I have chosen wisely.

bubbadog89 on October 23, 2006 at 8:41 AM

In all honesty can we expect sanctions on CNN? I hope so but I’m not counting on it.

flyboy777 on October 23, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Speaking of comments: I’ve been posting some on HufPo and dKos and they just ain’t making it there. Is it me, or are they trying to suppress reasonable debate? There are some vicious, vicious bloggers out there who seem to delight in hate and vitriol, and who avoid reasonable debate. Is this what we’ve come to – treasonous reporting and uncivilized puerile commentary from the bushhaters. Is there only civility on the right? I’m worried…

aqvik on October 23, 2006 at 8:45 AM

There are those in the U.S. who hate so much the Christian-Jewish principals the country was founded on, that they will side with anyone who agrees with them…even islam nazi’s

jed58 on October 23, 2006 at 8:52 AM

Greetings…

How come nobody seems to remember Saudi Arabia’s billion dollar investment in CNN, and the comment made by a Saudi Minister about how he was in touch with CNN editors “every day” to make sure the news “was fair and balanced”…???

Doda McCheesle on October 23, 2006 at 9:00 AM

Great Vent Michelle. The “tools” bit made me smile.

I love how CNN swamps their coverage with British accented reporters like Amanapour-me-a-river to give their international news a faux sense of authoriTIE.

Coronagold on October 23, 2006 at 9:08 AM

Great vent HA!

Ever since the Mohammed cartoon debacle, I absolutely, positively refuse to go to cnn for ANYTHING. They are never on my TV, I won’t go to their website (even when I stumble across a link that leads there). The fact that they air a video of one of OUR soldiers being SHOT is disgusting and despicable. Imagine the furor if FoxNews aired a video of a sniper deliberately targeting a CNN correspondent? (Of course, why would the sniper shoot one of their own?)

Why can’t CNN (and all moonbats, for that matter) not understand that if the islamofacists ever successfully take over this country, that their organizations will be the first to be disbanded? No more ACLU, no news organizations (except those specifically sanctioned by the state religion), no PETA, no Greenpeace, no NOW! (

dalewalt on October 23, 2006 at 9:11 AM

aqvik on October 23, 2006 at 8:45 AM

They’re not ‘suppressing’ anything. When they show a sense of open-mindedness once in a very blue moon, that’s when they’re suppressing something.

Coronagold on October 23, 2006 at 9:14 AM

That is interesting. Could you provide a link to that?

These new agencies claim to hold some divinely appointed position in the world. NEWS IS A BUSINESS THAT EXISTS TO MAKE A PROFIT.

They hide behind their divine appt. status and say they are airing terrorist propaganda videos as a service to us. THEY ARE AIRING IT TO GET RATINGS, which translate to ad dollars.

Disgusting.

realVerse on October 23, 2006 at 9:16 AM

Just shows how out of control the MSM is…

All the published documents… all the FauxPhotos… now this blatant piece of propoganda….

Somehow the Press has decided, and our politicians somehow agree with the idea that they are above the law… that they can conspire to publish classified material with no consequence, or even serious investigation… that they can, IN TIME OF WAR, give AID to our enemies by publishing their propoganda….

Sickening…

Romeo13 on October 23, 2006 at 9:41 AM

I love how their defense is “we’re just reporting the news” but had it been one of our guys shooting the enemy, it would have the label “American Atrocities”

CookeyD on October 23, 2006 at 9:42 AM

Good day, everyone:

Michelle…as usual, you have provided us an EXCELLENTcommentary. Yes, calling CNN “you tools” was right on target.

Once again, I will state that I strongly believe (more than ever now) that CNN (and the rest of the MSM)is jocking for a position of Minister of Information for the Islamo-Nazis if they win the war and a Caliphate is established. Or perhaps I should say that CNN is JOCK-STRAPPING for that position given their supporting coverage of the Islamo-Nazis.

Indeed, CNN should officially change its name to TNN for TERRORIST News Network.

And all TNN inbeds should be thrown out of “bed” and sent back to TNN HQ. No commanding officer should permit TNN reporters near the troops from this point on.

The False Dervish on October 23, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Collaboration Not News

Jack in TX on October 23, 2006 at 9:53 AM

“just reporting the news”

Previously, Anderson Cooper was the only CNN show I would watch. I thought he did a good job in Lebanon and appreciated that he came out about the Hez propaganda. The sniper junk did it in for me with CNN.

And why hasn’t Vent been picked up by Fox or someone else. If they have time to waste on Mancow, couldn’t they use an educated opinion about current events. Good Vent as always Michelle.

sunny on October 23, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Between CNN (crescent news network) and TNN (terrorist news network) [well put F.D.] who needs a Tokyo Rose?

Don’t we the people control the airways through the FCC? Why is an enemy propaganda tool being allowed to broadcast through US airways?

Mojave Mark on October 23, 2006 at 9:59 AM

CookeyD on October 23, 2006 at 9:42 AM

Actually, has anyone ever seen video of our troops taking down any terrorists in Iraq? At least not in recent years have I seen anything like the sniper video from the perspective of American troops. Then again, I may have just missed it, but it seems as though the MSM want to spend their time reporting on American troop scandals, and not on the good they have been doing. There is a video on YouTube that I saw through Michelle’s Conservative YouTuber’s group that shows a little of what the American troops do during down time with Iraqi kids, and it makes me so proud of them. Here’s the link…

Kids of Mosul

DakRoland on October 23, 2006 at 10:00 AM

Not really understanding the comments…or the anti-CNN vent. This is really not an isolated case. It has been the agenda of the US government and US business to be more agreesive in teh world economy. Everyone from McDonald’s to Coke…and most of our MSM have made the decision (and they made it a decade ago by the way) to put their international interest before the US interest. And every administration before and after (Bush I and his New World Order speach, Clinton, Bush II) have supported and promoted it.

This mess with CNN and most of our media companies is an extension of that. A decision was made…one that put the prospect of making money on the world economy more important that showing any favoritism, much less patriotism, to the US and her populace.

Sorry…but you guys are fighting the battle and losing the war. Ask yourself why Coke donates money to the olympic teams of foreign contries. Why Wal-mart is pimping Chinese goods…then you’ll under stand why CNN is providing the news they are…

cl

clouviere on October 23, 2006 at 10:11 AM

Caliphate
News
Network

infidel4life on October 23, 2006 at 10:13 AM

clouviere, it’s more than just CNN wanting to make money. If that was the case, they would have shown the Mohammed cartoons during the controversy. CNN is more than just ‘not showing patriotism’; they active pimp for the enemy. Find any good news on CNN regarding the war in Iraq, or any good the troops are doing. For that matter, look at the coverage during the Israeli/Hezbollah conflict/war/skirmish during the summer; CNN presented the Hezbollah thugs as ‘freedom fighters’ and the Israeli’s as murderers.

dalewalt on October 23, 2006 at 10:26 AM

Liberals siding with the enemy, nothing new to see here folks, move along…

JackM on October 23, 2006 at 10:37 AM

I think we should just give up.When the robots take over in 5 years it all wont matter anyway. J/K im new to the community and would like to say i been enjoying the vent and hot air for a year now.with this matter i think the governmentshould have looked into this propaganda stuff long a go.if your not with me your against me ..Great posts all and thanks for letting me join.i saw a bumper sticker on my way to work today it said..id rather go hunting with cheney than a drive with ted kennedy …lol too funny.

Darkmegatron on October 23, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Caliphate Now Network

infidel4life… It’s just that I can’t seem to believe the whole “News” thing when it comes to these guys.

Once an organization becomes anti-American/hate Bush centric, they are of no use to us, other than as an example of the insanity and bias that exists. This will come back to them as a curse because real Americans will see them for what they are, and treat them accordingly.

RalphyBoy on October 23, 2006 at 10:50 AM

conservatives fight terrorists and liberals fight conservatives.

dougless on October 23, 2006 at 10:53 AM

clouviere, I think you are a little misguided. It didn’t really make the news over here, but Coke recently opened a bottling plant in Afghanistan to employ more Afghani’s. So while it may be easy to demonize America and the companies based there, it is just as easy to point to another example of that same company trying to help people in other countries. Of course if companies like Coke didn’t do that, the same people would be complaining saying they are greedy.

NATRAPS on October 23, 2006 at 10:54 AM

CNN, NYT, BBC, Reuters, AP and on and on. These pro-terrorists media whores continue to aid our Islamic enemies. I’m not surprised, but I still can’t fathom how these “tools” expect to survive under sharia law. These liberal, progressive, atheists will be the first in line to have their heads chopped off. Perhaps, they too, have a death wish.

liberty on October 23, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Well, if CNN is truly promoting an ‘international business model’ as one person above suggested, I would treat them as we treat al-Jazeera. I would ban CNN from the White House and any other government event. I would throw all the embeds out from proximity to our military. That reporter might as well have pulled the trigger himself; I’d bring him up on charges and take him into custody as a collaborater. When CNN starts squealing about the first amendment, I’d tell them to get bent. Helping snipers is not protected by the first amendment. They want to be world friendly, they lose their protections here. Nice vent Michelle…I admire your control…I was swearing a blue streak when I came across this story. Cheers.

austinnelly on October 23, 2006 at 11:13 AM

Someone needs to tell greenpeace that bloodshed is bad for the earth and beheadings is animal cruelty maybe they’ll listen.

Darkmegatron on October 23, 2006 at 11:16 AM

Hey Gadan, they’re not “sitting on the fence”. They are on your side, buddy.

CliffHanger on October 23, 2006 at 11:17 AM

If you don’t like the news they show, put FOX back on.

GregH on October 23, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Why doesn’t CNN just move their main office to the Middle East? There are tons of contries that would love to have them, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan to name a few. By making the move they could save alot of money and garner alot more support from their terrorist base. With their ratings in the toilet they’ve got to start thinking more economically if they want to continue to be the mouth piece of Al Qaeda.

Pestilence on October 23, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Now, let me get this straight. If I was next to a sniper that killed a CNN reporter and filmed it, CNN would honor me? And CNN would not want me to reveal the shipers name? In fact, CNN would pay me to find someone to shoot one of their reporters? How about if that sniper took out a senator, or congressman, that supported the war and not “just” a U.S. soldier? Would I get double the pay?
CNN your are sick.

right2bright on October 23, 2006 at 12:08 PM

“You tools” *LOL* PERFECT!
CNN International is a damn disgrace. CNN domestic is now right up or rather DOWN there too. This was just one more episode in a sordid, disgusting, anti-American network using slanted “news” as propoganda.

labwrs on October 23, 2006 at 12:27 PM

2 privates talking after returning from the Iraqi Desert.

John: I feel like we forgot somethin.

Jack: Your nuts I checked all the gear it’s all there.

John: Awe nuts! The CNN crew!

Jack: I thaught the Humm-V was less crowded.

John: They were your responsibility!

Jack: No way man It wasn’t my turn to clean up the latrine I did it last week!

Priest on October 23, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Cnn is cutting into AL Jazeera’s territory! Maybe they are just being good capitalist and just starting a little competition with the middle east propaganda machine. One day CNN will rule the world with Propaganda! There is no sense in the sniper video. Like Confederate Yankee said it’s well documented that IED and snipers are being used to kill our guys. I think everyone knows snipers exist! I guess the only positive is since CNN is trusted with enemy propaganda maybe our guys can use this video to reveal tactics and I’m assuming they can tell the type of vehicle they are using by the sound of it’s engine.

Drtuddle on October 23, 2006 at 12:29 PM

CNN’s transmission of that video is palpable evidence of an act of treason indistinguishable from those videos of Gadan.

CNN’s actions has crossed the line from “freedom of speech” and “freedom of the press” into “adhering to [our] enemies, giving them aid and comfort.” [from Article 3, Section 3 of the Constitution]

As Michelle has noted, this is not the first time that CNN has sided with our enemies against America.

The video could not have been transmitted without the express approval of the management of CNN, and it is they who should be indicted.

georgej on October 23, 2006 at 12:32 PM

Leave it to GregH to crystalize the moment.

He wrote: “So CNN publishes a piece that falls outside of the propaganda model as put forth my American corporate and political interests. To quote Ms. Malkin’s countless retorts: “Boo freaking hoo”.

If you don’t like the news they show, put FOX back on.”

Watching FOX may be YOUR only choice for cable news, should the Justice Department decide to indict for treason and the couts shut down the network.

Then you’d be perpetually walking around with an even more of a sour face than you are forced to wear when you read Hot Air. I’d give 2 bucks to see that!

georgej on October 23, 2006 at 12:37 PM

So it’s okay if it’s terrorist propaganda and shows the killing of someone there to protect Iraqis? Exactly what side are you rooting for, GregH?

To quote Ms. Malkin’s countless retorts: “Boo freaking hoo”.

Actually, she’s married, so to be correct, you should say, “Mrs. Malkin”.

If you don’t like the news they show, put FOX back on.

GregH on October 23, 2006 at 11:31 AM

I think the point, GregH, is that this isn’t so much news, as it is a blatant attempt to demoralize the American Public against the war against terrorists in Iraq. How much does CNN commit to the rebuilding in Iraq? How much does it follow the lives of the Iraqis who sign up to be Soldiers for their country, the men who sign up to become Police officers? The complaint we have is about CNN’s obvious bias, and that won’t change unless people speak up about it. Fox may be biased, too, but at least they attempt to get the other side on there, too. And they admit their bias moreso than CNN or MSNBC does. If FoxNews reported only one side of the story, I’d be chiding them for not being fair to the other side, but I’ve yet to see that from them.

By the way, I don’t think you ever answered my question. Do you want to see America win in Iraq? Yes or No? I’m still waiting to hear your answer, and not a non-answer such as “there’s no way to win anyhow”.

DakRoland on October 23, 2006 at 12:42 PM

I would tend to agree with you georgej.

There is a chain of illegal/treasonous (whadah we call it) actions here.

1. The reporter sits with the sniper filming him in the act of killing an American Soldier. And the reporter clearly has intent and knowledge as he states it in his narrative.

2. The reporters supervisor not only does not fire him/turn him over to whatever authorities apropriate to this type of crime but instead aproves the action and runs with it.

3. This chain is continued right up to and including the owner Tede Turner!

This is tantamount to CNN declaring terrorist activities are NOT illegal in our eyes and if you think so US government you are wrong. We dare you to do something about it. We CNN are filming the legal work of legal combatants admirably performing their job and we will continue to do so. We will not uphold the law because we do not recognise it.

This in my mind would be similar to accompanying a serial killer on the streets of the US, filming the murder and then claiming that they had immunity from prosecution because they were just journalists doing their job with no necessity to protect life.

Priest on October 23, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Michael Ware who obtained the tape showing the sniper should be arrested and interrogated. If he refuses to give the interrogators information on how the tape was obtained, the Government should hold a press conference with all the details and expose this piece of crap to the American people.

He committed an act of treason by helping the Islamic Army of Iraq air a propaganda film that will aid and comfort the enemy.

After he is interrogated he should be banned from Iraq and never be given a press pass to cover the US military again.

ScottyDog on October 23, 2006 at 12:58 PM

My apologies to Mrs. Malkin – I was unaware of her marital status.

Snipers are killing American troops – hearing about it is one thing. Seeing it is another. I think (my interpretation only) the CNN piece was done to provide armchair Americans with a glimpse of the dangers our troops face on a constant basis. And it did.

And I’m not avoiding your question DakRoland, it’s just that it doesn;t make any sense to me. You are asking a question that I can’t possibly answer “correctly”. You are looking for a yes or no, black or white answer to a question that doesn’t beckon itself to such a reply.

It’s kind of like asking me “Do you support the troops?”. It’s a meaningless question, designed to invoke emotion rather than logical debate.

GregH on October 23, 2006 at 12:58 PM

Good Vent. Good civil discussion in the feedback. I just wish we could do more to enlighten people about the debate beyond those of us who follow this stuff on a regular basis.

Supporting the troops is best done by helping them accomplish the mission. Wishing their good health is not enough. If people don’t want America to win the day in Iraq, one has to ask why.

You can bet that the answers are even more disturbing.

itzWicks on October 23, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Those questions are easy to answer, GregH, when the answer is yes.

BlueStateBlues on October 23, 2006 at 1:29 PM

Treason, the new black.

Still punishable by death if I’m not mistaken, seems reasonable.

Viper1 on October 23, 2006 at 1:40 PM

I wish GregH would just go away. As a military hater, I’m sure he throughly enjoyed the sniper video. I hope that one day someone you know and love is filmed being killed and then you can discuss the “news”. That Soldier was someone’s son, perhaps spouse, brother, friend. I’m sure you enjoyed it throughly. SICKO.
As for cnn they have no shame.

Catie96706 on October 23, 2006 at 1:40 PM

If the Bush and Iraqi administrations ever get serious about winning the war in Iraq, they’ll BOOT OUT ALL NEWS AGENCIES ASAP. Other then MSM propaganda. there never was a good enough reason to have a news camera in foxholes and especially bring a party to the enemies gun sights to aid them in nightly body count to spread across our nightly airwaves. IMO, American MSM are the enemy within, and no better than traitorous CNN who mirror Al Jazerra.

byteshredder on October 23, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Greg H doesn’t support the troops. I’m sure he thinks they’re low class, dead ender killers. I know I said I had it with that person but I cannot stand the fact that he sits fat and happy behind his computer while cnn glorifies the deaths of American Heros.

Catie96706 on October 23, 2006 at 1:42 PM

I can spell should say ‘heroes”

Catie96706 on October 23, 2006 at 1:43 PM

My apologies to Mrs. Malkin – I was unaware of her marital status.

No problem. Just pointing it out. :)

I’m not sure how showing this footage underscores the dangers any more than the reports of roadside bombs, killed and wounded soldiers does. It just feels like (to me) a bad thing for CNN to do, and what about the parents of those soldiers? They already know the dangers. They know their sons & daughters, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives may be hurt or killed serving there, but these brave men and women still support the mission. They still come back and say it’s worth doing. Showing this is unnecessary.

GregH on October 23, 2006 at 12:58 PM

What is so hard about answering Yes or No to that question? “Yes, I would like to see Americans succeed in Iraq.” “No, I don’t want to see Americans succeed in Iraq.” Where is your heart?

I see the question about supporting troops to be one that requires a Yes or No answer, too. It’s all about where your heart is. Supporting them means supporting their mission. Hoping for their success, and being proud of them for doing the job they were asked to do. What’s so hard about that? It’s not a debate. There’s no nuance or shades of grey. Whether we can succeed or not is the debatable part.

DakRoland on October 23, 2006 at 1:50 PM

Do you want us to win the war? Do you want Bush re-elected?
Do you blame us for 9/11? Do you think America is a moral nation? Do you believe in God? Do you love your mother?
Are you a democrat? Is the sky blue? Are you afraid do answer any question? Is man causing global warming?

“You are asking a question that I can’t possibly answer “correctly”. You are looking for a yes or no, black or white answer to a question that doesn’t beckon itself to such a reply.”

That’s a good answer for a liberal. If I say yes, I could mean no, but a no could mean yes under certain circumstances, but then I would have probably said yes, in that case a yes could be taken out of context, and I would have meant to say no to a yes. Therefore I beckon not to answer.

right2bright on October 23, 2006 at 1:52 PM

“If you don’t like the news they show….”

Therin lies the problem, when it’s the SHOW they’re producing, not the news.
If they were a news agency, they would present the news, all of it, not cherry pick the anti-war, pro-terrorist viewpoint that has one goal, to deceive the American public.
Can you imagine the media embedded with Hitler, Goering, or maybe ‘reporting’ back from Auschwitz? CNN would have tried to do just that, and spin those attrocities as medical pacifists looking for a cure.

shooter on October 23, 2006 at 1:55 PM

perfectly stated, right2bright.

BlueStateBlues on October 23, 2006 at 2:00 PM

Outrage; someone need to do something about this… that is all I can say; else I might be banned.

ar_basin on October 23, 2006 at 2:01 PM

Michelle, I’m sorry for being totally unsubstantive, here, but that T-shirt’s really cute. You look so Army-surplus chic.

Other than that, good Vent, as usual.

marykatharine on October 23, 2006 at 2:38 PM

GregH on October 23, 2006 at 12:58 PM

A perfect example of liberal moral/situational relativism.

“If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”
- Rush, “Freewill”

infidel4life on October 23, 2006 at 2:38 PM

These ‘southpaws’? They’re monologue-sts.
They WONT answer questions, they will only ask or defer, it destroys their one-way thinking and continuity.

See you all later, I’m going to the Army Surplus…gonna get me a t-shirt.

shooter on October 23, 2006 at 2:53 PM

I dispise cnn……….don’t forget though that Murdoch of Fox just held a fund rasier for Hillary…and with his Chinese wife has sympathetic China connections….and about 10 percent of Fox is owned by the Saudis

LZVandy on October 23, 2006 at 3:15 PM

When you consider “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”. The sheer lunacy of CNN and the balance of the liberal media makes sense. That they cannot see the edge of the cliff they approach, must have something to do with the tunnel vision of the lens through which they look.

MarkB on October 23, 2006 at 3:18 PM

That CNN said this video was their “exclusive” says it all to my mind.

Utterly disconnected from normal human reality.

Pimping, low-life little weasels.

Ratings whooores par excellence.

No conscience, no heart, no brains.

Giving “aid and comfort to the enemy” during a war is treason.

Let some congrerssperson examine this openly seditious act.

CNN = Corrupt Nutjob N ihilists.

profitsbeard on October 23, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Ted Turner—like his predecessor Lord Haw Haw—operates from a deep-seated cowardice which renders him incapable of loyalty, or even courtesy, towards the country that nurtured him. He will at all times align himself, and his underlings, with the enemy.
A “suspended sentence” would seem to be in order.

Oilpatcher on October 23, 2006 at 4:05 PM

you know what GregH, if you hate this country so much – why don’t you / honora & other left-wing liberals nutcases move to the Middle East. all you have to say is “I hate the United States” & i’m sure that your Islamic terrorist pals will welcome you with open arms.

Starblazer on October 23, 2006 at 4:20 PM

btw- I DO want us to win in Iraq & YES, i do support our troops. see how simple that is GregH.

Starblazer on October 23, 2006 at 4:22 PM

Other than that, good Vent, as usual.

marykatharine on October 23, 2006 at 2:38 PM

Mary Katharine… hello.

Since you mentioned it… I thought the shirt was too much her color… washed her out. But cute. Oh, but I love her skin tone.

BTW, on last friday’s The Vent you looked amazing, very vivid and put together… can’t say the same for KP. Keep it up.

ar_basin on October 23, 2006 at 4:33 PM

GregH, do you consider yourself one of the armchair Americans? Of course you don’t. You think you’re better than us. You don’t just watch the news, you’re the living vanguard of world history. As a registered Democrat who lives in a district that would elect a goldfish before it chose a Republican, I will take the Whitaker Chambers route on Wednesday, November 8 and trade the winning side for the losing side. I hope I am no more gifted at prophecy than Chambers.

mymanpotsandpans on October 23, 2006 at 4:42 PM

My son is in Iraq.

I can’t get it out of my mind that that could be him.

I value my membership here. I can’t tell what I am really thinking.

dinasour on October 23, 2006 at 5:06 PM

Well Greg, CNN had three relevant pieces of information on the web when they put out this video.

1) The “insurgents” in Iraq had a new plan of P.R. aimed at the American Public. (as reported under the video link)

2) The “insurgents” have released this video to CNN. (so produced by “insurgents”, not CNN)

3) And here we are playing it to the American Public, using our media distribution to give broad play to terrorist (sorry “insurgent”) propoganda.

That would be, knowingly and willfully assisting their public relations ploy aimed at the American public. I can’t see another way to view this, and their weekend website video page very clearly made these points.

This wasn’t CNN footage, but footage provided to CNN by an organization that CNN knew (and stated in the same article) was trying to get P.R. traction with Americans.

So CNN knowingly and willfully took this and broadcast it, for the P.R. benefit of terrorists. Sorry, that should read “to give the full story to our viewers” I guess. Seeing as that is now CNN’s line.

Odd that they seemed to know it was a deliberate P.R. ploy this weekend. Now that they’re getting some pushback they’ve apparently “forgotten” that piece of information.

“I would disagree that it is a “blatant attempt to demoralize the American Public against the war against terrorists in Iraq.”” – It seems Greg has forgotten as well, or he missed that piece when CNN initially ran the story.

Go back, re-read the three points that CNN had available with the initial story. It was blatant P.R. from the “insurgents” killing U.S. Soldiers in Iraq. That is a given.

That you might think it won’t be successful seems an interesting thought, but not really a defense for CNN at this point.

gekkobear on October 23, 2006 at 5:13 PM

You are right shooter.
I can see it now;
CNN: These are the valves that release the gas, you can see by the way the gas enters that the children will die first.
Moderator: How many Jews are there in the cell.
CNN: Not enough, ha ha, just making light of a very disturbing develpment. Maybe 150 or more, if they would have just left Germany as they were told or if they just did what they were told, this would not have taken place. This is not an easy task for the Germans, they are called horrible names, spat upon, and mis-treated. But still the Germans press on, knowing that this is right. The Germans are fighting for their survival.
Moderator: What could have caused this backlash?
CNN: The Jews are religious, strong family values, they work hard, they are educated, save money, build businesses, give to charity. The Germans, under Hitler, cannot tolerate that. This is a socialist government, we all should share, we all need to give to the government more, politics before God and Church, no one is above the government, especially religious people. The Jews won’t be the last group…
Moderator: Let’s hope not, because we will be there bringing it to you live…we make our living from death.

right2bright on October 23, 2006 at 5:19 PM

My son is in Iraq.

I can’t get it out of my mind that that could be him.

I value my membership here. I can’t tell what I am really thinking.

dinasour on October 23, 2006 at 5:06 PM

My sincere thanks to you and your family – your son is in my (our) prayers.

I have the same feelings, I can’t voice my opinion on the internet.

ar_basin on October 23, 2006 at 5:35 PM

I was just reading about Clint Eastwood’s “Flags of Our Fathers” and the author, Steve Daly, at one point writes, “When one character talks about how the right image can ‘win or lose the war,’ it’s difficult not to think about images of Americans torturing prisoners at Abu Ghraib.”

How nice of him not to appreciate the irony of a news media that is so obsessed with the destruction of Dubya that they’ve decided that the only images that will be fed to the American public are those that reinforce the meme of “America BAD! America EVIL! America UNWORTHY! America THE LOSERS!” When all we see of our forces is Abu Ghraib and the jihadists are protrayed as omnipotent assassins of our soldiers who can kill us at will, but we can’t find them, the unmistakable intent is to plant the seed of impotence and inevitable defeat in the viewers’ minds.

Of course, when unbiased people complain about this liberal bias, the Left immediately sneers, “You’re just unhappy that Bushitler propaganda isn’t being broadcast instead of the truth of this illegal war. Turn on Faux News!”

Def Ref on October 23, 2006 at 5:57 PM

Dinasour, you have my prayers, good thoughts and all the support I can muster for you and your son. We do not know each other, but my family and I consider your son to be hero. Please tell him that and also that I am not simply one voice, but, one of tens of millions, who admire and respect him for his dedication to our country.

Regarding CNN (Cancerous Negative News); they are a sick and pathetic propaganda machine bent on tearing down the USA so the “Dims” can regain power. If that happens we are in serious trouble and a “true fascist state” will be the end result. Is there really any doubt as to where T. “Benedict A.” Turners political alliance (lies)?

NotaSlickFan on October 23, 2006 at 6:32 PM

NotaSlickFan,ar_basin

Thank you.

I am palpably angry. CNN has crossed a line here.

It is not the “Propagandist for the enemy” line.

It is not the “Traitor to your country” line.

They crossed both those lines a long time ago.

No matter how much plausible deniablity they have built into the transaction for that video, they almost certainly purchased it from an Iraqi stringer. I’d bet anything that said stringer was the one with the camera.

I don’t know if CNN has thought through what having their employees fire on American troops means.

dinasour on October 23, 2006 at 7:02 PM

I can’t help but see Hanoi Jane sitting on that AA battery in North Vietnam at moments like these(funny how she just happens to be Ted Turner’s ex.). The left in this country has more than 35 years of selling our soldiers out during times of war and this is just more of the same. CNN, New York Times, LA Times and the MSM simply have no moral compass to guide them. They attempt to “make” the news instead of reporting it. I loved the clip of the CNN reporter saying they were “played” in Lebanon. Now they know how the rest of us feel.

SacTownMan on October 23, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Great Vent Michelle, thanks

My late Grandmother use to say “every dog has its day”; I believe CNN’s day will come sooner rather than later. A business like that cannot afford to offend more than half the population for very long and get away with it. I, for one, will be dancing in the streets when they go the way of Air America, bankrupt.

PS- no offense to real dogs…

Zorro on October 23, 2006 at 7:23 PM

I’d be more comfortable with CNN’s “unvarnished truth” rationalization if I saw it applied more even-handedly.

There is a plausible if distasteful argument that showing our own troops in harm’s way has some educational value: war is not a video game, and having to watch real people on our side literally in the cross-hairs has a sobering effect. It’s a reminder that military endeavors are not something to be entered into lightly, for real people pay a very real price when the decision is made.

What bothers me about the news coverage coming out of Iraq is that it’s heavy on the “war is hell” angle but light on the “what it all means” context. We get Johnny-on-the-spot exhaustive coverage of our own casualties, of our war planners’ missteps, of our own troops instances of misconduct, and of the enemy’s derring-do videos; but we seldom see what’s being accomplished.

From the enemy’s own admissions, they perceive themselves as losing the fight on the battlefield. From those same admissions it’s clear that they know that they’re not winning over the loyalty or sympathy of the majority of the Iraqi people. From the nature of their operations – people who think they’re winning don’t resort to suicide missions -it can be surmised that they’re growing increasingly desperate as the Iraqi government becomes more established and its security forces grow stronger.

But you won’t get this kind of context from CNN. And this is where they become at least unwitting co-propagandists for the enemy.

I’d wager that a large part of the growing public disillusionment with the Iraq war isn’t of the left’s BDS-inspired variety; rather, it’s that people don’t see that the enemy is paying a price, too, and that they have serious problems of their own, and that they themselves believe that they’re losing. This was the lesson of the 1968 Tet Offensive in Vietnam: our campaigns in the countryside from 1965-1967 led the enemy to try a desperation measure that produced a crushing defeat for them – but all the American people saw were images of the Viet Cong swarming the US embassy in Saigon and a spike in our weekly casualty reports.

In short, in 1968 we were winning and the enemy had largely shot their bolt. But because that wasn’t made apparent to the American people by their own media, they were left to draw a different conclusion.

The enemy in Iraq knows very well that the only way they can win is to replicate the Communist strategy in Vietnam to break American morale at home. And once again our own media is playing right into their hands. The only distinction is, this time a strong argument can be made that they’re doing so deliberately.

Spurius Ligustinus on October 23, 2006 at 7:53 PM

Michelle was spanked on CNN, I mean the Bill OReilly Show… I tell you she is just too nice… nice people don’t get heard.

Listen Ann Coulter slams OReilly often – he is not that bright and that’s okay…

Ann has said it once and I’m sure she’d say it again CNN Pravda in the Soviet Union openly said they were a Communist organization / media outlet.

I see the connection clear as day; if you don’t I’m sure you’d be first in line to be hanged, beheaded or shot by Commies or Islamic Terrorists.

CNN is a political machine for the enemy – something needs to be done…

And yes, free speech would only have more integrity and clarity if CNN were crushed.

As it stands the stupid masses are handed their ideas, ideals, thoughts and ideology, Handily…

ar_basin on October 23, 2006 at 8:58 PM

“Spanked?” Are you kidding me?

Michelle on October 23, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Michelle is never “spanked” on Mr O’s show. She understands the term “civil discourse” very well. Great Vent Michelle, as always! As for CNN, they became irrelevant to me many years ago.

thedecider on October 23, 2006 at 9:54 PM

Getting O’reilly to change is mind would probably take something on the order of a battering ram; that Michelle manages to get her points across even while he interrupts and cuts her off is not in my mind, getting spanked. Watching Michelle and KP’s segment, as well as the President’s interview with Mr. O are the only times I’ve tuned into his show in the past several weeks. Her segments are that good. I know election day is casting a pall of darkness, but let’s not get delusional. :)

austinnelly on October 23, 2006 at 10:02 PM

Watch the O’Reilly segment for yourself. Allah just posted it here.

“Nice people don’t get heard?”

I think you can hear me loud and clear. I guess you would prefer if I shrieked at the top of my lungs?

Michelle on October 23, 2006 at 10:02 PM

“Spanked?” Are you kidding me?

Michelle on October 23, 2006 at 9:52 PM

My apologies Michelle.

Actually, I can say, in retrospect, that you did well.

I guess my issue with the segments that you do with him is that he always seems to have the last word.

It appears that he cuts you off at the end. That’s all.

ar_basin on October 23, 2006 at 10:10 PM

I guess you would prefer if I shrieked at the top of my lungs?

Michelle on October 23, 2006 at 10:02 PM

For the record, Ann Coulter doesn’t shriek, but around her Bill OReilly does cower.

ar_basin on October 23, 2006 at 10:13 PM

great interveiw with O’Reilly Michelle. i agree with you 100%. i just can’t believe that Bill doesn’t think that even Larry King doesn’t want the the U.S. to win the war in Iraq & yet you provided the proof.

Starblazer on October 23, 2006 at 10:15 PM

Has anyone noticed how similar “Calamity Blames’” whiney, whimpering “no mas!” is to the islamonutcases who cry, “you hurt my feelings”, at the drop of a (koran) hat? At the least bit of criticism both go into an unexplainable and ignorant rage, and of course; “it’s all Bush’s fault”!

Is media bias for real? Well, let’s see: NY/LA Crimes, CNN (Cancerous Negative News), NBC (National Broadcasters of Communism), MSNBC (More of the Same as NBC), ABC (Amerikan Broadcasters of Cough!), CBS (Communicator of..) ;the last two letters say it all, and the list go’s on and on.

This dude, “Calamity Blame” as well as the entire editorial staff and reporters of the old rag NY Times should resign. Wait a minute, if that were to occur then the Times would have to cease operations and shut down. Brilliant!

NotaSlickFan on October 23, 2006 at 10:24 PM

“He always seem to have the last word.”

Well, he is the host.