Sunday open thread

posted at 6:43 pm on October 22, 2006 by Ian

Check out the scoreboard.

The Steelers-Falcons game was one the week’s best.

As much as it makes me cringe, I’m looking forward to a Giants win at the Cowgirls tomorrow night.

***

Game 2 in the World Series tonight.

***

If football or baseball doesn’t interest you:

Barrons: Republicans will hold congress.

Conservative banned from YouTube.

Madam Speaker? Pelosi likes the sound.

Flags of our Fathers, no winner at the box office.

Comments

Patriots spanked the Bills 28-6.

Mortis on October 22, 2006 at 6:51 PM

Chargers lost to the Chiefs, lost OLB Shaun Phillips
the paiiiinnnn!

Defector01 on October 22, 2006 at 7:03 PM

I am waiting for Glenn Greenwald or Andrew Sullivan to cite your derision of the Dallas NFL franchise as “Cowgirls” as evidence of right-wing sexism and homophobia.

Ali-Bubba on October 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM

I’m predicting that the Republicans net 5 seats in the senate and 15 in the house.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 22, 2006 at 7:11 PM

MirCat, I think you misunderstood:

Don’t drink the Kool-Aid. “Don’t” as in, do not.

Ali-Bubba on October 22, 2006 at 7:25 PM

The Super Steelers lost a tough one. They gave up, what, 21 points on turnovers… Big Ben “knocked out”…

And I agree, Republicans up 5 in the Senate and the House.

Zorro on October 22, 2006 at 7:26 PM

Your sunday NASCAR update:

Junior spun out.
JJ got the win.
Hamlin just couldn’t catch JJ at the end.
Stewart passes Gordon in last few laps to cost Gordon points(haha!)

Jeff Gordon is still gay.

Nobody threw beer on the track this week.

quax1 on October 22, 2006 at 7:26 PM

Hey, is anybody else watching Pelosi on “60 Minutes”?

She’s wacko. And can you say eye job? Joan Rivers has had less plastic surgery than Pelosi.

Ali-Bubba on October 22, 2006 at 7:27 PM

Thanks for the update on the continuing gayness of Jeff “Not That There’s Anything Wrong With That” Gordon.

Ali-Bubba on October 22, 2006 at 7:30 PM

Sounds like some enterprising web savvy folks need to start the FreeTube alternative for Youtube outcasts.

MRegine on October 22, 2006 at 7:35 PM

There ya go again. Blasphemin’.

LurP on October 22, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Don’t drink the Kool-Aid. “Don’t” as in, do not.

Well, see you the morning after. :)

- The Cat

MirCat on October 22, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Vikings punished the Seahawks. Too bad for Minnesota. It will all be for naught. They play in the same division as the Chicago Bears who, in my estimation, are SuperBowl bound. The better news for Minnesota is that I haven’t read about any more Vikings “sex cruise on the water” episodes (like last year).

Anyone else ready to “go-out-on-a-limb” make a pre-mature SuperBowl prediction?

CyberCipher on October 22, 2006 at 7:47 PM

The part of the NASCAR update quax1 forgot:

The 2007 Points and Chase Rumor Mill is now in full swing as Matt Kenseth retakes the points lead as former leader Jeff Burton blew up real good.

steveegg on October 22, 2006 at 7:58 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*pauses to catch breath*

hahahahahahahahahahaha

/Giants fan laughing at the Eagles’ loss and ready to celebrate tomorrow’s win over Dallas

62 yard field goal…damn.

Yossarian on October 22, 2006 at 7:58 PM

ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! geez….just woke up from the recliner…..I was dreaming….it was Oct 22, 2008
and the MSM had pegged the Dem candidate to be 102 points ahead in the polls…………I need another beer.

Limerick on October 22, 2006 at 8:01 PM

I’m highly pissed at Arizona for losing the 2006 Toilet Bowl, thus ruining the Raiders’ chance at perfection. What do you have to say for yourself now, Cardinal Fan?

Here’s hoping Denny Green’s head explodes at the presser.

We knew who they were….AND WE LET ‘EM OFF THE HOOK!

Kid from Brooklyn on October 22, 2006 at 8:02 PM

Good news and bad news:

Bad news: I can’t believe we lost to the friggin’ BUCS!

Good news: I got to meet seven members of the Arizona Cardinal Cheerleaders today. They were on their way home from a tour of overseas military bases to entertain our Troops! They were all very humble about the whole thing. When I thanked them they said “It’s the LEAST we could do, conserding what THEY’RE doing for US.” One of them gave us all pins with the number 40 (Pat Tillman). God bless those (beautiful) women for what they do for our Troops overseas.

Tony737 on October 22, 2006 at 8:20 PM

Looks like Osama got a couple picks right. Green Bay and Minnesota won.

lowandslow on October 22, 2006 at 8:27 PM

“conserding”????? Dammit! That should’ve said “considering”. Sorry, it was a long day.

Tony737 on October 22, 2006 at 8:30 PM

It’s funny, I’m a conservative and yet most of the sports I like are more popular overseas: Formula One Racing, Women’s Soccer, Women’s Tennis, Curling, and the like.

Football’s okay, but way too many commercial interruptions and not enough creativity or fun in the rules. Professional Baseball is too long–I prefer Team USA Softball, personally and without the Atlanta Braves, the Championship Series has no appeal to me this year. The Olympics rock and roll all over the Super Bowl and World Series, I feel. :D

I watched the final F1 race of the season today–the Brazilian Grand Prix. I love the British commentators on Speed Channel and its alot faster and more interesting (tracks that go left and right!) than NASCAR, IMO.

American_Pride1701 on October 22, 2006 at 8:32 PM

We got 3 1/2 more hours until 60 seconds comes on out here. I saw in the synopsis it said “Coalition troops have looted 500 million dollars, potential House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi and something about some guy when it ran out”. I guess Ali-Bubba you’ll have to fill me in because if I watch I’ll get sick.

Tony 737, glad you got to meet the cheerleaders. My husband hasn’t met any this time around (due to his type of job) but he’s always ga-ga when he has met them. He’s always made sure to send home lots of pictures with himself and them. I know the guys always enjoy seeing them! God Bless them as well.

Catie96706 on October 22, 2006 at 8:33 PM

Bad news: I can’t believe we lost to the friggin’ BUCS!

HAHAHA! 0wn3d! Eagles love to lose to the Bucs in spectacular ways!

2002 NFC Championship Game (Eagles lose on the longest interception return for TD in postseason history)

Opening Day at Lincoln Field (bucs shutout Eagles)

Today. Eagles lose to bucs 23-21 on 3rd longest Field Goal in NFL History.

BWAHAHAHA!

lorien1973 on October 22, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Not to begrudge the troops anything, but the way the latest polls are looking, I could use some entertaining myself. Send those cheerleaders my way!

Ali-Bubba on October 22, 2006 at 8:51 PM

Why not? It ain’t like they have anything to cheer about in Phoenix.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 22, 2006 at 9:08 PM

all you giant, cowboy and eagle fans have the next superbowl champ to thank for spanking the skins today.

may i just say, you’re welcome.

moflicky on October 22, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Moflicky:

THANKS!…….as a Texas resident I give you my most humble gratitude. Now if can just get Jerry Jones and TO to move on to SF I would be most appreciative!

Limerick on October 22, 2006 at 9:29 PM

Poor Denny Green. lol

infidel on October 22, 2006 at 9:43 PM

WE KNEW WHO THEY WERE….AND WE LET ‘EM OFF THE HOOK!!!!

NEXT, WE’RE GOING TO MICHIGAN, AND TEXAS, AND CALIFORNIA, AND THEN, ALL THE WAY TO WASHINGTON D.C, WHERE WE’RE GOING TO TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!! YEEEAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid from Brooklyn on October 22, 2006 at 9:46 PM

Kid;

Y’all come down here to Texas and well show you the way back to Michigan and California!YEEEEEARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

Limerick on October 22, 2006 at 9:51 PM

I would moan about my redskins going in the tank once again, but has been pretty much groundhog day every season since SuperBowl 26. After a while, you just get numb to the losses. looks like we might have a shot a high draft pick next season and actually get a quarterback(although this team has a lot more problems than that position.)

cowboys-giants game….isn’t there anyway that both can lose?

still468 on October 22, 2006 at 9:54 PM

Denver .17
Cleveland .7
Alone at the TOP!!! Broncos have another shot this year, maybe.
Denver has the best scoring defense in the NFL in decades. -sounds weird huh.-

Happy for KUBIAK, he’s a good coach and good guy.

shooter on October 22, 2006 at 9:57 PM

Bad news: I can’t believe we lost to the friggin’ BUCS!

Can’t believe it? I’m still throwing up like Donovan over it.

Vincenzo on October 22, 2006 at 10:07 PM

Bears bye week. Ho, hum, nothing to see here, folks, let’s move along.

Wait…did Atlanta just kick another field goal up Bill Coward’s ass? Bwaaaaaa!

Did the great Eagles just lost on a 62 yard field goal?! Bwaaaaaahahahahahaha!

Jaibones on October 22, 2006 at 10:35 PM

(lose)

Jaibones on October 22, 2006 at 10:36 PM

Yeah. Football. Here in Indianapolis, we have the winningest team in the league over the last three years. Then the playoffs start and ruin everything. Where once I couldn’t sit down while watching the Colts (even on TV), now I’m a casual observer at best. Sure, it’s the classic negativism as a defense mechanism, but when you’ve had your hopes dashed as much as a Colts fan, it’s the best policy.

– On an unrelated topic, will anyone help me pester Google into labeling at least a couple of World War II sites on Google Earth? If you’re familiar with Google Earth, you know that some areas on the planet have more detailed photography than others.
Well, not only did the California hippies not label the D-Day beaches, but the clear ground imaging ends within yards of the D-Day cemetery at St. Laurent, on the Normandie coast of France.
Neither have they labeled Iwo Jima, though it’s clearly shown. I seriously doubt they know D-Day from Green Day, and even if they did, would probably intentionally fail to point out any site commemorating the US military. They have their offices in Silicon Valley clearly labeled (who cares?)

Here’s the most relevant link I can offer:
.py

If anyone can find the time to just innocently (or with indignation) ask why these WWII sites aren’t mentioned, I’d appreciate it. I sent a message and stated that they “wouldn’t be reading this if not for the WWII soldiers’ sacrifices.” I’m sure that got to them. Right.

Indy Mark on October 22, 2006 at 10:54 PM

Sorry, my link didn’t work. Here it is the old fashioned way:

Cut and paste. Like God intended. (Ok Gates intended)

Indy Mark on October 22, 2006 at 10:57 PM

Josh Gracin did a great job singing God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch. In fact, he should have sung the National Anthem because Anita Baker was not very good.

kimpriestap on October 22, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Vikings punished the Seahawks.

I just got home from the game. There were no dirty bombs, but the Seahawks offensive line exploded. That must have been what happened since the Vikings D-line didn’t seem to meet any resistance in stopping the run.

Oh the Seahawks are hurtin’. Shaun A. is still a couple of weeks away, Hasselbeck is out for who knows how long, and the O-line is beat up. Last year the ‘Hawks weathered key injuries and got to the Super Bowl. Let’s hope they can do it again. It won’t be easy.

Mallard T. Drake on October 22, 2006 at 11:26 PM

Political Equation

NY Times Admitting they are wrong for publishing the NIA Story = Kim Jong Mentally Ill saying he is sorry for setting off the nukes.

NY Times losing money , thinking they say I am sorry will get people to think they are credible again. No chance dudes.

StuLongIsland on October 22, 2006 at 11:33 PM

I’m not a fan, though I enjoy watching toilet teams improve over the years (thus my rooting for the Bucs & Colts), but it was fun watching Cincinnati realize they could take advantage of all the Panthers’ mistakes. And that 20+yd pass on 4th & 1 was gutsy.

Denver would be so much more impressive with an offense. The best part is that I believe the Raiders will forgo all field goal opportunities just so they can say they scored a touchdown against them, even while losing. “A commitment to excellence” and all that.

Really sucks for Arizona. Maybe firing the O-coordinator really hurt? Too bad he deserved it for that crap on Monday night.

Can the Raiders hold their heads high if they manage 2 wins this season over the Cards and Texans? I mean, the Texans now have 2 wins! “A commitment to excellence” and all that…

And, yes, after 10 more years of this crap I won’t root for the Raiders to improve. Only a change in ownership will get my attention.

JoeEgo on October 23, 2006 at 12:26 AM

Hey Limerick, nice to see a fellow Texan here. I agree completely on T.O. and Jerry”i swear it’s not a facelift”Jones. Those of us who remember the cowboys back in the days of Landry and Schramm know how far the team has fallen. The triplets and Jimmy Johnson held the franchise up for a while, but since then it’s been straight downhill. Can anybody honestly say the cowboys are America’s team these days?

Scot on October 23, 2006 at 12:31 AM

Almost forgot, i’m picking the colts for the bowl this year. Any team that consistently scores 30+ points like they do is going to win it all sooner or later.

Scot on October 23, 2006 at 1:11 AM

I live in Atlanta so naturally I got to watch the Atlanta game. Good grief, it was like the Falcons wanted to lose that game and somehow backed into a win. Still, we’ll take it.

Also my Raiders finally won a game so now I’ll have to listen to the other Raiders fans proclaim that we’ll go unbeaten from here and win the SB.

Sigh.

Benaiah on October 23, 2006 at 9:57 AM

Ahh, yes – yesterday’s games have set the stage for a wonderful Cowboys’ victory tonight.

Rick on October 23, 2006 at 12:25 PM

Vikings are the dark horse this year.

James on October 23, 2006 at 5:06 PM