Breaking: Lynne Stewart sentenced to 28 years months

posted at 2:36 pm on October 16, 2006 by Allahpundit

Convicted of conspiracy and providing material support to Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman. Prosecutors had asked for a sentence of 30 years.

She’ll be out by 2010, and very possibly by 2008.

Stand by for updates to this fiasco.

Update: Smile!

Stewart, 67, could have faced up to 30 years in prison. She smiled as the judge announced his decision to send her to prison for less than 2 1/2 years.

“If you send her to prison, she’s going to die. It’s as simple as that,” defense lawyer Elizabeth Fink had told the judge before the sentence was pronounced.

Update: “The end of my career truly is like a sword in my side,” Stewart said at her sentencing. “Permit me to live out the rest of my life productively, lovingly, righteously.”

Update: She’d written a letter to the judge:

Mixed with her trademark defiance – “I am not a traitor” – was a measure of contrition. After some soul searching, she wrote, she had concluded that a careless over-devotion to her clients – “I am softhearted to the point of self-abnegation” – was her undoing.

Update: Earlier today outside the courthouse, while her “supporters” chanted for her to go free:

lynne.jpg

Update: Yeah, there’s a George Soros connection. There always is.

Update: Judge Koeltl is a Clinton appointee and a former assistant special prosecutor during Watergate.

Update: Also sentenced today: Ahmed Sattar, to 24 years for conspiracy to kill and kidnap people in a foreign country. Sattar worked with Stewart as a paralegal.

Comments

She helped Rahman publish a fatwa that resulted in about 100 deaths. And gets 28 months’ sentence. What is that–about 10 days per death, give or take?

Bryan on October 16, 2006 at 2:40 PM

THAT’S ALL?!!!

It does not exactly send a strong message to others who might consider helping terrorists.

IndependentConserv on October 16, 2006 at 2:42 PM

I’ll just take it and be done with it

Defector01 on October 16, 2006 at 2:46 PM

The Bali Bomber’s sentence apparently was taken as precedent.

bbz123 on October 16, 2006 at 2:47 PM

And if you let her out of prison so she can represent other terrorists, hundreds of innocent people may die.

What a travesty.

Bryan on October 16, 2006 at 2:48 PM

She should be drawn and quatered….

dallas94 on October 16, 2006 at 2:49 PM

I’m with dallas94!

IndependentConserv on October 16, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Any chance Britain might try to extradite her for accessory to premeditated murder of its citizens?

Too bad :(

CrazyFool on October 16, 2006 at 2:53 PM

What is up with these people? You have the UNeffective UN doling out meaningless sanctions, someone aiding and abetting terrorists,essentially comitting treason, gets a slap on the wrist. What kind of message are we sending the terrorist and dictators that want to kill us?(Rhetorical)

vcferlita on October 16, 2006 at 2:57 PM

Heartbreaking.

Ian on October 16, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Suppose we actually catch Adam Gadahn at some point, and he gets convicted of treason. What’s the over/under on the sentence he gets?

Bryan on October 16, 2006 at 3:01 PM

This is pathetic. We’re just rolling over for them.

World B. Free on October 16, 2006 at 3:04 PM

In the end … in the judgement that really matters, God will hold her accountable for everything she’s done.

darwin on October 16, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Bryan,
If Adam Gadahn is captured by any of our armed forces I will push for charges of “Dereliction of Duty”.

LakeRuins on October 16, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Bryan on October 16, 2006 at 3:01 PM

He gets off on an insanity plea.

yo on October 16, 2006 at 3:06 PM

“If you send her to prison, she’s going to die. It’s as simple as that,” her defense lawyer said.

That is exactly the outcome *moi* wanted — Lynne Stewart on death row.

God help me, but I do so want her to die in captivity…. Our innocent dead at the WTC from both bombings deserve no less.

georgej on October 16, 2006 at 3:16 PM

CNN reports she remains utterly unrepentant;

“The government’s characterization of me and what occurred is inaccurate and untrue,” she wrote. “It takes unfair advantage of the climate of urgency and hysteria that followed 9/11 and that was re-lived during the trial. I did not intentionally enter into any plot or conspiracy to aid a terrorist organization.”

Go ahead… you were saying something about “best intentions”?

Oh, you were finished? Then allow me to retort: What does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Terp Mole on October 16, 2006 at 3:23 PM

You expected differently? I’m surprised she is not out on probation. The “War on Terror” will continue to be a joke until thousands more people die.

Valiant on October 16, 2006 at 3:23 PM

She should be drawn and quatered…

And then those quarters should be drawn and quartered… and then the mincing would begin.

Watcher on October 16, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Just imagine what she’d have gotten if we weren’t living under Bush’s fascist regime.

The Ugly American on October 16, 2006 at 3:42 PM

And meanwhile herre at home we are burying a young Marine. Here is what he said in his last letter home.

“If you’re reading this, I’m not coming back from Iraq,” Johnson said in a letter to his family, read at the service by Tibbetts.

In the letter, Johnson, 20, told his loved ones why he was fighting a war on the other side of the world: “I’ll be damned if I’ll let any terrorist take it [America] away from my family and friends.”

LakeRuins on October 16, 2006 at 3:44 PM

watch “Hannity & Colmes” tonite and see if this does come up on their program & watch Colmes defend Stewart.

Starblazer on October 16, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Is she different than the rest of us? If she doesn’t get sent to prison, she doesn’t die? Hmmmm… sounds like a stupid argument to me.

wytammic on October 16, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Supposedly, Stewrat should also lose her license to practice law, but I’ll be Cigarmaned if I can find any news about that.

DannoJyd on October 16, 2006 at 3:57 PM

LGF updates that one of her co-conspirators got 24 years.

Terp Mole on October 16, 2006 at 4:00 PM

From what I’ve heard, child molesters have a potentially very short life span in prison; even hard-core cons have absolutely no compassion for these sickos.

Anybody have any idea how prisoners feel about terrorists? Just wonderin’

dalewalt on October 16, 2006 at 4:08 PM

i think that we need to reopen Alcatraz again for people like Lynne Stewart

Starblazer on October 16, 2006 at 4:17 PM

She should come down to Durham and defend “Precious” against the mean, rich Dukies that she lied about!

SouthernGent on October 16, 2006 at 4:37 PM

I wonder what Ann Coulter will write about this one… sure to be a nice read.

On days like this I can’t help but think of the next big Al Qaeda attack.

Those guys, Al Qaeda, are very brilliant, deadly and murderous, but nonetheless very smart.

I’m sure if this type of sentencing will cease when some 100,000 Americans lie dieing in the streets. Sad thing is, I will most likely be in the streets as I’m in DC.

Such is life.

ar_basin on October 16, 2006 at 4:41 PM

I got you five by five on that, brother. If we can’t lynch the judges and defense attorneys — and apparently we can’t — then the Marines need to limit the condition of detainees to “room temperature”.

Jaibones on October 16, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Bryan asked:

Opening line on the over/under is 6 months. with time off for good behavior. Our judges just are not serious, are they?

Ennuipundit on October 16, 2006 at 4:45 PM

I am now convinced that nothing real towards the concept of justice will happen until another strike by terrorists of a severe magnitude. and even then there will be only a short window at that…..

robo on October 16, 2006 at 5:05 PM

At least she still has her good looks!

Metro on October 16, 2006 at 5:10 PM

I hate to say it, but I really hope Stewart passes away in jail. Her actions, and the inspiration others take from them, have led to the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people. She will lose her license to practice law, right? RIGHT?!? God, I hope so.

jaleach on October 16, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Finally find one person to be tried for treason and she gets 2 1/2 years…wow. I guess the forefathers were a bunch of barbarians, hanging people and all that for treason. “She’s going to die in prison”. So? People die every day for hundreds of different reasons. I could go tonight, or tomorrow. You can’t plan for that. Stewart deserves to be in prison, regardless of when or how she’ll die. Whatever time she has left, she does not deserve to be walking around free, and gloating.

austinnelly on October 16, 2006 at 5:24 PM

From above: “Anybody have any idea how prisoners feel about terrorists? Just wonderin’”

I can’t speak to how convicts feel about terrorist supporters, but they will beat a path to her cell to get her help on their appeals and lawsuits against the Bureau of Prisons.

MarcH on October 16, 2006 at 5:30 PM

This is incredible. There is absolutely no sense of justice left in America today. Consider Jonathan Pollard who was caught spying on the US for Israel. He got life in prison – for “spying” for our closest ally. This woman aids and abets the very terrorists that would blow both Israel and us off the planet if given the chance and all she gets is 28 months? Unfreakingbelievable.

tiekitwist on October 16, 2006 at 5:31 PM

The opposite of peace isn’t violence, it’s injustice.

We’re a long way from peace, I’m afraid.

Kadnine on October 16, 2006 at 5:32 PM

That’s all? Even for a Clinton-appointed touchyfeelywarmfuzzymulticulti judge, that’s piddly! What deterrent effect is 28 months? Does she lose her law license, at least?

I hope that she has the same prison doctor as Jim McDougal.

chsw

chsw on October 16, 2006 at 5:36 PM

The judge was a Clinton appointee…should have known. The “sensitive war on terror” continues…

CP on October 16, 2006 at 5:38 PM

At least she still has her good looks!

LOL!!!

The Ugly American on October 16, 2006 at 6:10 PM

Lynne Stewart sentenced to 28 months

Excuse me, but I thought Sattar was charged along with her and was her subordinate during this whole mess. I thought Sattar was acting under her direction and instructions. How can he get 24 years (which is good) and she only get’s 28 months? What the heck am I missing?

How can the criminal mastermind get less of a sentence then her minions which are doing her bidding?

What am I missing here?

EFG on October 16, 2006 at 6:16 PM

Schweinchen gets only 28 months…

Entelechy on October 16, 2006 at 6:21 PM

Whatever…..

She’s 67 years old, disbarred, and has breast cancer. I’ll take it, and hope that the next one we get on the same charges is 40, and can be given a real sentence.

My only real issue with the whole thing is to ask why it took 20 months from the conviction to the sentencing. If she was doing medical treatment, fine. But when she’s out doing Leftist fundraisers, it was way past time for the Judge to smart up.

Which is probably too much to ask, but even so, it raises a lot of questions.

jefferson101 on October 16, 2006 at 6:44 PM

jefferson – that was probably the big one
Think of this as synonomous with why the big white collar guys get small sentances at light prisons.
Though if i had my way i’d probably jail her in gitmo for 5yrs

Defector01 on October 16, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Though if i had my way i’d probably jail her in gitmo for 5yrs

Gitmo?! That’s a freaking resort paradise, I say Folsom..general population.

Alden Pyle on October 16, 2006 at 9:05 PM

SUGGESTION TO FUTURE FELLOW PRISONERS OF THIS TRAITOR BI-YATCH:

Surreptitiously soap the top step of every stairway before she uses it.
If judges won’t rule sanely, let prisoners soap slimebag swiftly.

Seditious SCUM.

She looks about as agile as a sack of spuds. May she soon be mashed.

profitsbeard on October 16, 2006 at 9:32 PM

darwin on October 16, 2006 at 3:05 PM

It seems that in the end, the winning side must be judged as having been God’s side, Darwin, so I agree with what you’ve said, even though the meaning remains in doubt. If it’s true, as I think it is, that one of the best Biblical commandments is that to “be shrewd as serpents,” then it seems Lynne Stewart has set a standard the rest of us must meet or exceed in order to be wholly righteous.

Kralizec on October 16, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Rapists, Domestic abusers, child molesters, child rapists, terrorists, traitors, those who aid any of the above, ALL of these criminals do no time or 3 years or LESS. The only more disgusting issue, is that we actually PAY some criminals, the Illegal Aliens from Mexico.

Its embarrassing and , and …there are just no words to describe how dismayed and pissed some of us are.

shooter on October 16, 2006 at 11:14 PM

Revoke her citizenship and send her butt to Somalia!

AZPatriot on October 17, 2006 at 12:31 AM

So, this horrible woman with no scruples gets merely a mild slap on the wrist for treason.

Didn’t the evil Soros fund her defense?

With appeals still left on the table she’ll die but not behind bars.

Where the hell is the RNC? With something, anything. Damn.

doingwhatican on October 17, 2006 at 3:43 AM

I agree with the previous comment. With Soros’s involvement and the fact that the judge was a Clinton appointee, this could make one hell of a campaign commercial.

Now that I think of it, is this Rove’s October Surprise? Karl must’ve got to Judge Koeltl with all that filthy Big Oil money.

Sean M. on October 17, 2006 at 6:02 AM

Correct, as Sean M. stated Soros funded her trial… maybe some $20,000.

I tell you there are some rich and powerful Commies that want to push their weight around and they hope it stays under the radar.

ar_basin on October 17, 2006 at 7:24 AM

Why is it that their side has all the hot chicks, Cindy..Stewart…et al, and we’re stuck with Michelle & Bethany?

Alden Pyle on October 17, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Oh yeah, and why is there a picture of Madeline Albright at the top right hand side of the Home page? Is that her after shot on the Today show make-over? She’s never looked so snappy.

Alden Pyle on October 17, 2006 at 9:28 AM

So how exactly did the United States get to the point where an obvious traitor is not dealt with properly?

NRA4Freedom on October 17, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Has anybody noticed that GregH and Honora appear to be silent on this issue?

georgej on October 17, 2006 at 11:15 AM

I’d countenance a suspension of her prison sentence if she could be given a good waterboarding.

Just as a matter of principle, you know.

SWLiP on October 17, 2006 at 11:23 AM

hey georgej – that’s because they support her as well & probably won’t admit to it either. we know that liberals are loyal to the terrorist cause

Starblazer on October 17, 2006 at 11:34 AM

correction – GregH & Honora won’t admit to it, but they do support her. again, liberals are sympthetic to the terrorist cause & are loyal to Al-Qaeda

Starblazer on October 17, 2006 at 11:37 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else think “Madalyn Murray O’Hair” when they look at Stewart? Very similar physical appearance, both lawyers, both obnoxious, both godless…

IrishEi on October 17, 2006 at 11:37 AM

Now we can look forward to the presidential pardon. Who is more likely to pardon her “new tone” Bush or Hillary in ’08?

Valiant on October 17, 2006 at 12:17 PM

this is a travesty of justice.

tormod on October 17, 2006 at 3:31 PM

I don’t see much remorse on her face…

Woody

woodcdi on October 17, 2006 at 7:03 PM

A Clinton-appointed judge gives terrorist-enabler Lynne Stewart a slap on the wrist and a pat on the back…

NRA4Freedom on October 17, 2006 at 8:53 PM