Jack Straw and the Veil

posted at 9:25 am on October 12, 2006 by Bryan

Straw’s veil row
Muslims pledge to ruin Straw
Jihad Watch
Spencer: The Truth About Muhammad

Download Jihad Watch for your iPod

Comments

Robert Spencer is right on target. Accomodation rather than assimilation seems to be the goal. The double standard is going to backfire and cause even more problems.

DAT60A3 on October 12, 2006 at 9:39 AM

Robert Spencer is the best video presenter at Hot Air, better even than Bethany, but less hot.

Far far less hot.

Christoph on October 12, 2006 at 9:50 AM

Far far less hot.

Still understated. Doesn’t take away from the fact that Spencer is a genius.

Valiant on October 12, 2006 at 10:01 AM

The mind is a terrible thing to waste, but the muslims insist upon doing so with their followers. You would think at least some of them have the smarts to see through the game, but, then again, they havn’t impressed me with any signs of brain power. Centuries in the desert must have bent the gene pool in an unfortunate direction. It sure looks like they lack the juice to wise up.

Shmo on October 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM

There are two theories about the veil. The first says that Muslim women are all hotties, yes, hotter than Michelle and Bethany! The veil is necessary to keep them from inflaming the passions of men, both Muslim and infidels.

The second theory says that Muslim women are closer in looks to Robert Spencer. You marry those cousins one too many times and, well, let’s just say it ain’t pretty. The veil is necessary to protect the public from visual assault.

You can vote however you want. I’m in favor of listening to Michelle, Bethany, and Robert Spencer. But I do watch Michelle and Bethany more intently.

mkstach on October 12, 2006 at 10:07 AM

well what the hell did Jack Straw expect? The simple, civilised answer would’ve been something like “Thanks for your offer of assimilation Mr. Straw. Unfortunately, your suggestion goes against our beliefs. Perhaps we can get together and come up with a solution.”

Instead, protests. Typical of the unyielding attitute of the majority of the Muslim community.

I’m sure many of the more militant thought “That’s it, this is the last straw”

(Okay, okay, but I’m sure most of you were thinking a similar line :-)

dalewalt on October 12, 2006 at 10:09 AM

Every time I hear something from Jack Straw, I get the impression he lives in an ideological vacuum of some sort. Kind of like the British version of our Al Gore, but with personality.

While I think Jack was trying to get this one right, he’s still thinking like a Brit and communicating poorly with his non-British foes.

Jack has allowed himself to be a pawn (willingly in most cases) of the British left and of the Muslim Jihad Terrorist movement. The fact that British Muslims are mad because he suddently isn’t toeing their line is pretty condemning evidence.

Lawrence on October 12, 2006 at 10:11 AM

What a bunch of happy horsecrap. Anyone with even half a brain(which leaves out all liberal democrats) already is aware that the “religion of peace” is actually anything BUT that, and that there will be NO negotiations with them. Assimilation to them means YOU either buying a prayer rug and sheet for your wife, or DYING, PERIOD.

NRA4Freedom on October 12, 2006 at 10:24 AM

‘He shouldn’t be allowed to comment on this issue’ Man, I love it when people who don’t have an intellectual leg to stand on just whip out that hoary old chestnut of a quote. Just like the libs over here who say you can’t comment on the military if you haven’t served. All that was missing for Mr. Straw was the death threats; and I don’t think the rabble rousers in London are quite up to threatening him yet. Then again, he was only commenting on women, so the misogynistic head chopper wannabes probably didn’t think that merited a death threat or a burning in effigy. Something occured me while watching the women scurry around in those burkas (hijab, whatever); that would be a pretty good mechanism for wanted terrorists to get around in. I would bet good money that they wouldn’t do it just because of their views. Anyone know if a terrorist has used that as a disguise?

austinnelly on October 12, 2006 at 10:53 AM

A woman wearing a headscarf and burka is “should not be allowed to comment” on freedom. Period.

labwrs on October 12, 2006 at 11:42 AM

Sorry about the off topic post, but how do I edit the website people are directed to when they click on my name? I started up a blog, and would rather people file through that than the blog provider’s front page.

Savage on October 12, 2006 at 11:51 AM

Every time I hear this kind of stuff it makes me think that if it hadn’t been for George Bush, this cancer would have been allowed to continue to grow across Europe and spread into our own country unchecked.

Texas Gal on October 12, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Great Vent by Robert Spencer! This is the reporting and commentary we need – and not available on MSM.

Big Surprise, accomodation with the Muslim works only one way – to their benefit. They have no intention of assimilation into the country they immigrate to – and are in reality invaders. Forget about appeasement – it is taken and then more is demanded.

The Muslim wants one of 3 conditions for all humans:

1) Muslim
2) Slave
3) Dead

When, when, when are the likes of Jack Straw and the “Liberals” going to understand this?

omegaram on October 12, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Hey Savage, click on your username (immediately above the comment box), edit your ‘website’ entry there.

dalewalt on October 12, 2006 at 12:16 PM

Thanks a lot, dalewalt.

Savage on October 12, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Anyone know if a terrorist has used that as a disguise?

austinnelly on October 12, 2006 at 10:53 AM

I saw a news article about this very topic just two days ago. I can’t find the article now, but if I will post a link if I find it again.

Lawrence on October 12, 2006 at 2:44 PM

From now on, whenever anyone interviews a representative from CAIR, ISNA, or any Islamist organization, they should wear one of these, embroidered with Lan Atsalam / I Will Not Submit. What’s good for the ummah is good for dar al harb.

Now if I can only find an inexpensive source of ski-masks wholesale.

Lan Nabqa Dhimmiyun
We Won’t Remain Dhimmis

rokemronnie on October 12, 2006 at 3:32 PM

rokemrommie, I do believe you’ve hit on a great idea. I’ll buy a few!

Kevin R on October 12, 2006 at 4:57 PM

Oops, sorry I spelled your name wrong. Wish this had an edit feature.

Kevin R on October 12, 2006 at 4:59 PM

Robert Spencer is such a nice gentleman, a great HA-vent member, who provides a vital service.

Great addition, hopefully to stay and remind us regularly of what we have and could easily lose.

Entelechy on October 13, 2006 at 2:16 AM

I’m probably the last to make excuses for the Islamic community, but I think Straw was off base with his comment. Assimilation has nothing to do with losing your religious identity. And while I strongly support JihadWatch, I don’t think it’s constructive for Spencer to group all Jihadists and Muslims together. That said, I think it should be required to remove veils when positive identification is required for the public good, such as drivers license photos, security checkpoints, etc. The issue of Muslim women wearing veils does not belong in the same discussion of inmates access to books espousing Islamic fundamentalist views, as they are not in any way the same.

BrunoMitchell on October 13, 2006 at 7:13 AM