Shays goes nuclear, defends Hastert by citing Chappaquiddick; Update: Rogers to “out” one gay a day

posted at 12:19 pm on October 11, 2006 by Allahpundit

Memo from National Review to the GOP: it’s time to fight back.

Memo from Chris Shays to National Review: message received.

When the congressional page scandal broke last month, Democrats across the country saw a chance to lambaste Republican leadership – including Diane Farrell, who called on House Speaker Dennis Hastert to step down.

But when Sen. Edward M. Kennedy came to Connecticut last week to help her campaign, Rep. Christopher Shays hit back.

“I know the speaker didn’t go over a bridge and leave a young person in the water, and then have a press conference the next day,” said Shays, R-4th District, referring to the 1969 incident in which the Massachusetts Democrat drove a car that plunged into the water and a young campaign worker died.

“Dennis Hastert didn’t kill anybody,” he added.

Elsewhere in Foley follies: former GOP House staffers Kirk Fordham and Jeff Trandahl prepare to tell all to the House Ethics Committee about what Hastert knew and when he knew it; Republican Congressman Jim Kolbe is caught taking boys camping; and the Blotter wonders, just how many drunken trips to the page dormitory did Mark Foley make?

Update: Radical gay McCornthyite Mike Rogers threatens a march of the pink elephants. Whatever shall we do?

Comments

Amazingly accurate point. Albeit, not one that the Dimwitocrats will be willing to concede. Here’s a guy who killed a young lady, drunk driving, walked away, and he’s the moral compass of the party.

Good to see that Shays is willing to stand up and say the things that others don’t have the intestinal fortitude to say.

webproze on October 11, 2006 at 12:24 PM

Chris Shays?

Cripes. I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of him. Dude’s got more stones than I thought.

Slublog on October 11, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Chrissie grew a pair. Let’s hope it is not a temporary lapse before he starts undermining the conservative base again.

Valiant on October 11, 2006 at 12:41 PM

I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of him.

You’re right. He’s always seemed like a wet noodle to me.

ScottG on October 11, 2006 at 12:42 PM

I still do not understand why Kennedy was never charged. I mean leaving the scene of the accident or driving without a liscence should have been mandatory at the very least.

How in the world did the US allow this to go unpunished?

But I forget, it’s the Bush’s who are the real royalty, not the Kennedys.

Esthier on October 11, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Where did Shays find some balls and will he share them with the rest of the politicians?

frankj on October 11, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Bravo to Shays on his display of unabashed chutzpah.

Documents about the 1969 Kennedy incident indicate that Mary Jo had up to two hours’ worth of air supply after the car hit the water.

All the while Teddy’s probably pacing somewhere already scheming a way to say his sorry political career.

At least he was able to coin the phrase “we’ll drive off that bridge when we come to it.”

Corky on October 11, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Because it happened in Masaachusetts.

Pablo on October 11, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Playing ads offensive to Dems on TV like the Madeleine Albright ad would great, too. It definitely is time to fight back.

On a similar subject, the MSM media has been acting like Dems are ahead in the midterm elections because of the Foley scandal and because voters are tired of conservative policies, and that if Dems take control it will be a mandate from the American people to go leftward in policy. It seems it is quite the opposite. Many Dems are actually running to the right of the Republicans in order to take control of the House.

januarius on October 11, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Can Bill Frist PLEASE drink some of whatever Shays drank? Oh, and Lindsey Graham, too!

SouthernGent on October 11, 2006 at 1:01 PM

Good. I am sick to my teeth of this Foley thing. And it is high time the Republicans came out swinging!
Good for Shays..now let’s have a few more step up and speak out LOUDLY.

labwrs on October 11, 2006 at 1:04 PM

Because it happened in Masaachusetts.

Great point, Pablo. Understand that (for some reason) the Kennedys are royalty up here.

Corky on October 11, 2006 at 1:06 PM

YEAH BABY!!! Way to fight back, Christopher Shays!!

No quarter, no prisoners.

As far as NRO’s piece is concerned, great sentiment, but a week late – a week where a significant number of them spent their time wringing their hands and panicking when their first instinct should have been the one expressed in their piece today. Hope the learned something for the next October Surprise, because you know with this crop of dems another one is coming, and will be a regular feature of campaigns from here on out.

thirteen28 on October 11, 2006 at 1:17 PM

SouthernGent- John McCain must have drunk some yesterday when he criticized Bill Clinton’s North Korean policy, something Bush never does. Bush need some now; every time he fights the Dems, his poll numbers go up.

labwrs- I agree. They need to stop focusing on Foley and play the Zucker ads, so that voters don’t mistakenly vote for Dems acting like conservatives, such as Harold Ford of Tennessee, who claims (from Reuters):

While his opponent, Republican Bob Corker, charges in radio ads that Ford was “Tennessee’s most liberal congressman” in his 10 years in the U.S. House of Representatives, Ford plays conservative themes.

“I’m the only one in this race who has voted for a strong anti-illegal-immigration bill. I’m the only one in this race who has actually cut a tax,” Ford said during a campaign stop in this largely white town just west of the Tennessee river.

It is in towns like Camden that the balance of power of the next U.S. Senate will be decided in elections on November 7, when Ford’s Democrats hope to seize control of both houses of Congress from President George W. Bush’s Republicans.

In campaigns, these Dems act like conservatives to trick voters, then the MSM pretends that the American people knowingly elected liberals, giving them a mandate. Republicans need to fight back, like Chris Shays is doing.

januarius on October 11, 2006 at 1:19 PM

I love it!

Chris Shays?

Hear, hear!

Christoph on October 11, 2006 at 1:25 PM

Thus the homosexual witch hunt continues, and the leftists cheer!

Any smart Republican would/could/should build on that fact.

DannoJyd on October 11, 2006 at 1:35 PM

Yeah, I’m tired of playing defense. This election is totally winnable. The libs got NOTHIN’.

Iblis on October 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Because it happened in Masaachusetts.

Right on Pablo. Lest we forget, home to the “man” who broke the ground for Mark Foley and lifelong friend of all male prostitutes cruising the halls of congress …. none other than Rep Barney Frank.

And we can’t forget John Fn Kerry, who’s also spent a lifetime in love with a man …. himself.

fogw on October 11, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Kennedy was charged.

Labamigo on October 11, 2006 at 1:45 PM

Then how is it that none of them stuck?

Esthier on October 11, 2006 at 1:49 PM

Kennedy was charged.

Labamigo on October 11, 2006 at 1:45 PM

He was only charged with leaving the scene of an accident and received a two-month suspended sentence. That doesn’t even rise to the level of a slap on the wrist.

thirteen28 on October 11, 2006 at 2:01 PM

And of course George H W Bush honored Kennedy at SMU two years ago……………they are all in bed together to get us.

LZVandy on October 11, 2006 at 2:07 PM

Esthier,
Chappaquiddick was much worse than people think.
This Wiki can get you started if you’d like.

First the answer to your question:

Kennedy entered a plea of guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury. He received a sentence of two months in jail, which was suspended.

Why Chappaquiddick was worse than is widely believed:

This clear evidence of foul play indicates she was wounded prior to takeoff and immersion, and the bloodstains were washed out by the action of the sea water…”

Whether or not these laboratory findings were clear evidence of foul play was not a subject for speculation in any major media publications.

Stephen M on October 11, 2006 at 2:12 PM

I’ve been waiting for YEARS for a Republican to work up the nerve to retaliate in kind!

Of course Democrats are immune to charges of hypocrisy in much the same way cockroaches are to radiation.

irishsquid on October 11, 2006 at 2:16 PM

fogw, you mean Mr. Kerry is in love with Narcissus?

You make my day, every day – I love your posts!

Out yourselves – we don’t love/respect Mary Cheney any less. It’s only in the minds of libs that we’re homophobes and ignorant slobs. Preempt the bastard and get it over with. Then, quit being a hypocrite and let future candidates be more honest, up front.

Entelechy on October 11, 2006 at 2:22 PM

LZVandy on October 11, 2006 at 2:07 PM

While it’s perfectly fine to point out by your example how misguided Bush’s “set a new tone” mantra was, let’s not go overboard and suggest they are in the same bed.

thirteen28 on October 11, 2006 at 2:32 PM

Reminds me of the Clarence Thomas confirmation fiasco hearings. At one point in the circus Orrin Hatch was recounting some of the more specious blather coming from the left side of the committee, and concluded, “And if you believe that, I have a bridge at Chappaquiddick to sell you.”

He later expressed mortification that he said what he had, apologizing and stating that he intended to use the standard line referring to a bridge in Brooklyn, but Sen. Kennedy’s comments were on his mind at the time.

I say he should have never apologized, or at least not until Kennedy did/does.

Freelancer on October 11, 2006 at 2:35 PM

I apologise for saying you didn’t have any and needed to grow a set.

Thank you for speaking up at “The Swimmer” Kennedy.

Don’t put them back in the glass by the bed, use ‘em.

tormod on October 11, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Thus the homosexual witch hunt continues, and the leftists cheer!

Any smart Republican would/could/should build on that fact.

DannoJyd on October 11, 2006 at 1:35 PM

The Reps should use this opportunity to embrace gays and point out the difference btw. the Left/Right.

Gay marriage can and will be debated for years, as it should. This, however, would be a good time to show who respects individuals and their privacy, and who blathers and doesn’t.

Entelechy on October 11, 2006 at 2:45 PM

I just had a thought. Much like the terrorists who would do bodily harm to homosexuals, the democrats have started their own anti-gay movement, thus the comparisons between America’s enemies, and democrats continues to grow by leaps, and bounds. Be proud, Democrats!

Gay marriage is something that I’ll be forever against as my beliefs are that marriage is a Holy Sacrament entered into by a man, and a woman. The Holy Bible is pretty clear on that point. 1 man married to several women is my personal definition of torture.

DannoJyd on October 11, 2006 at 4:45 PM

Danno, in addition, you’d have to put up with that many mothers-in-law :)

Entelechy on October 11, 2006 at 4:55 PM

Out one gay a day? Sounds morbidly like a terrorist taking out one hostage a day until demands are met.

Maybe we Rightie bloggers ought to all put up a “Gay? So what. we respect you for who you are. -The Republican Party”

CrankyNeocon on October 11, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Allah, I know you oppose my whole vengeance thing but seriously, would there ever be another outing if we followed my policy?

Here’s what I would do if I was a closeted gay person who was maliciously outed. I would go after the reporter. If he has nothing in his background worth exposing, I would go after his family. His sister has a drug problem her boss doesn’t know about? He will now. His mom fudged her taxes? Hello, IRS? His father had an affair back in ’86? Make sure his wife finds out, take an ad in their local paper. Destroy their lives. That’s the only way people will learn that there is consequence to outing people. If we just tsk-tsk every time this happens, it will continue to happen. Take it to the kneecaps, and quick.

Karol on October 11, 2006 at 9:30 PM

When have I ever opposed your vengeance thing?

Allahpundit on October 11, 2006 at 9:32 PM

Oh, you’ve opposed my vengeance thing. You said I take it too far. And just because someone does something bad to me doesn’t mean they should be destroyed. Or something.

Karol on October 11, 2006 at 10:04 PM

Here’s what I would do if I was a closeted gay person who was maliciously outed. I would go after the reporter. If he has nothing in his background worth exposing, I would go after his family. His sister has a drug problem her boss doesn’t know about? He will now. His mom fudged her taxes? Hello, IRS? His father had an affair back in ‘86? Make sure his wife finds out, take an ad in their local paper. Destroy their lives. That’s the only way people will learn that there is consequence to outing people. If we just tsk-tsk every time this happens, it will continue to happen. Take it to the kneecaps, and quick.

Karol on October 11, 2006 at 9:30 PM

Ah, someone else that speaks my language…. ;)

As Niccolo said:

… and men have less scruple in offending one who is beloved than one who is feared, for love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails.

thirteen28 on October 11, 2006 at 11:50 PM

TED KENNEDY: Only politician who never crossed that bridge when he came to it.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on October 12, 2006 at 12:02 AM

Iblis on October 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Excellent. The Men showed up tonight. ‘Bout damn time.

You guys want a fight. I know you do. We all want our Conservative representatives to fight and stand up for us. They read the blogs, and they’re beginning to realize just how pissed off everybody is. They know that no matter how this election goes, the base will be looking to make changes. Hopefully it’ll force their testes descend and we’ll see real Conservatives start standing strong and being bold.

It’s time for our reps to actually throw the lib’s crap back in their faces. Not dirty. Just honest. All we need is honest. The American Public will see the differences and make the connections. And they’ll side with us.

Because they’ll realize we’re the only ones even remotely willing to protect and defend them.

techno_barbarian on October 12, 2006 at 1:08 AM

Isn’t the threat of publicizing damaging/embarassing information in that manner known as blackmail/extortion? That is a criminal offense and is punishable by law. Since the information will be made public, intentionally or accidentally, go on the offense and take this criminal to court and, for the encouragement of others, prosecute this person to the fullest extent of the law.

DAT60A3 on October 12, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Q: How desperate is a political party whose best shot is reference to an incident that occured 37 years ago?
A: Very

honora on October 12, 2006 at 11:20 AM

Honoroa: “This outing business is equally nauseating. This is what passes for leadership in this country.”

Tell you what, Honora.

You get Rahm Emanuel, moveon, KOS, DU, John Aravosis, Mike Rogers, Howard Dean, Charles Schumer, et. al. to stop and I promise you, I’ll never refer to the Senator from MA, on this blog, as a “whore mongering, drunken, bloviating, fat, lying, murdering asshole” again.

“So help me, Fort Knox.”

georgej on October 12, 2006 at 12:44 PM

“So help me, Fort Knox.”

georgej on October 12, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Ah but you assume I want you to stop…My side is well served by these tactics. Keep it up!!!

honora on October 12, 2006 at 12:50 PM