Video: Yankees eliminated; Update: Video: Mets movin’ on; Update: Torre fired?

posted at 7:57 pm on October 7, 2006 by Allahpundit

The sweetest moment in sports. Sweeter than Christmas.

A-Rod? 1 for 14 for the series, 0 RBIs. Demoted to eighth in the batting order for today’s game.

Coming soon: Steinbrenner’s tantrum. To be followed by another tantrum three weeks from now when my Mets win the World Series.

Update: The Freepers rejoice.

Update: The only gray lining in tonight’s silver cloud? The fact that now we won’t have the pleasure of kicking the shinola out of the Yankees in the World Series.

Can you feel it?

Update: Headline of the day.

Update: According to FR, ESPN TV is reporting that Torre’s been canned and replaced by Lou Piniella. If so, that’s a shockingly disgraceful way to let go of a guy who’s won four championships.

Update: Looks like it’s true:

Heads were likely to roll after the Yankees were eliminated from the postseason by the Tigers, but the opening odds were on Alex Rodriguez going first, not Joe Torre.

According to the New York Daily News, however, the popular Yankees manager will be fired unless he decides to resign first to save face. Sources told the newspaper that former Yankees player and manager Lou Piniella will be owner George Steinbrenner’s choice to replace Torre.

Comments

Bwaaaahahahahaahaa! Nothing could be finer…

Watch out for the Padres.

Pablo on October 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM

I guess for you, A-Rod was worth every penny.

Valiant on October 7, 2006 at 8:14 PM

when my Mets win the World Series

Could this be an infallible divine prophecy from the Almighty?

I wonder how much spare cash I have to put on the Mets…

infidel4life on October 7, 2006 at 8:20 PM

I wonder how opposing Cubs curses decide who comes out on top? Amount of time with the Cubs? No, cuz Trachsel’s team is winning while Maddux’s is losing. Number of Cubs per team? Possibly, since the Dodgers have Lofton and Garciaparra in addition to Maddux.

Whatever. Go Mets.

And Cards. :)

Anwyn on October 7, 2006 at 8:22 PM

Damn! I guess that you just can’t buy a pennant anymore.

DAT60A3 on October 7, 2006 at 8:27 PM

It is the year of the TIGER! We will win the 2006 series!

Pam on October 7, 2006 at 9:05 PM

I cannot root for a team named the “Yankees”. :p

SouthernGent on October 7, 2006 at 9:10 PM

I don’t know who will win the Series, but I agree wholeheartedly with Allah. As MLB would say: I live for this!

Athanasius on October 7, 2006 at 9:11 PM

I remain an unabashed Yankee fan (not cause they win a lot, but cause I’m from the Bronx). I hereby submit to any forthcoming abuse.

mikeyboss on October 7, 2006 at 9:36 PM

The Yankees have gone to hell since George Costanza left.

A comedian opined that cheering for the Yankees was like going to Vegas and rooting for the house to win. They are so corporate and have an institutional arrogance and their fans are loud, brutish, obnoxious dolts.

I’ll say it again–it’s football season boys and girls. If sports were politicians football would be Ronald Reagan and baseball would be Nancy Pelosi. And Barney Frank.

Bellicose Muse on October 7, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Being a Bosox fan, I’m very happy with this outcome!

I’d say A-Rod is worth every penny the Red Sox “spent” on him!

Way to go, Tigers!

Corky on October 7, 2006 at 9:55 PM

You’re cute when you sports-blog. I’m a Yankee-hata and a Glavine-lovah, so rock on. Good luck.

marykatharine on October 7, 2006 at 9:57 PM

The Yankees have gone to hell since George Costanza left.

Bellicose Muse on October 7, 2006 at 9:52 PM

And Steinbrenner hasn’t uttered a funny line since.

infidel4life on October 7, 2006 at 10:02 PM

Coming soon: Steinbrenner’s tantrum.

I certainly hope so. Let the bloodbath begin! The purse wearer must go, along with The Big Fiasco, Sheffield, Mussina, Pavanothing, and Jaret Wright. Perhaps it may be time for St. Joseph to step aside, so that renewal may begin in earnest. There must be death before the inevitable resurrection, and this death has been put off for way too long. But rest assured…the Empire will rise again.

With no Pedro and no Duque? Doc Gooden would like his pipe back, now.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 7, 2006 at 10:10 PM

For those of you who didn’t get it, meet Mr. March, Purse Wearer, soon-to-be former Yankee.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 7, 2006 at 10:26 PM

Watch out for the Cards big guy. We coming.

Martin on October 7, 2006 at 10:48 PM

You coming. And then you going.

Allahpundit on October 7, 2006 at 10:49 PM

You coming. And then you going.

LOL. Agree that the Cards will probably lay an egg like they have the last three years.

Not only that – weren’t they barely over .500 in the regular season?

Corky on October 7, 2006 at 11:00 PM

Allahpundit, this is off topic, but funny. Can you join Michelle in getting the word out?

Democrats.org photoshops CANADIAN soldier by removing his beret badge and advertises as American veteran:

***I served for 4-years as a Canadian soldier, so know this is true. Those are DEFINITELY Canadian uniforms.***

Christoph on October 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM

Just so everyone knows, those are Canadian poppies worn by almost all citizens military or civillians on November 11th, what we call “Remembrance Day”.

The green colour of the soldier in the foreground’s uniform indicates he’s a member of our land forces (army). Our army berets come in many colours, but are most often green.

The soldiers in the background are also Canadian army soldiers (no other branch of our forces have green berets) wearing combat uniforms and poppies. They are wearing their dress berets with combat uniforms because that is the usual Canadian practice.

The Canadian beret is always worn with a metal or in some cases cloth badge at the front. For recruits, usually the Canadian tri-service badge and for other than recruits, a badge that indicates which unit the soldier, airman, or sailor belongs to. To intentionally remove this is prima facie evidence that the photoshopper knew these were Canadian soldiers.

But hey… at least they’re supporting someone’s military even if it’s not your own.

Christoph on October 7, 2006 at 11:13 PM

Regarding the Canadian soldier. The original image has been found. Full details at LGF:

tommy1 on October 7, 2006 at 11:18 PM

You coming. And then you going.

Yah, they nearly flushed it all away. I’m amazed they’re still in. And that says something for what they might be able to pull out of their … hats. I wouldn’t be so glib if I were AP.

Anwyn on October 7, 2006 at 11:19 PM

Sigh. Why can’t Anwyn format?

“LOL–>years.” was Corky. Lack of blockquote notwithstanding.

Anwyn on October 7, 2006 at 11:20 PM

Yeah, I was just going to ask if anyone knows Charles Taylor at LGF. And I found he’s been on it for two hours.

What dopes (Democrats).

Our army is doing a lot now in Afghanistan, bringing the fight to the enemy and unfortunately, considering its small size, suffering significant casualties.

So supporting the veterans of Canada is something I’m behind.

But your army is 20-30 times the size of ours at least. Are you telling me that the Democrats couldn’t find an American soldier?

Disgraceful. And dishonest. And oh so typical of them.

Christoph on October 7, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Yeah, I was just going to ask if anyone knows Charles Taylor at LGF.

It’s Charles Johnson.

Please stay on topic, guys. If you have tips, e-mail works best.

Allahpundit on October 7, 2006 at 11:24 PM

Charles Johnson, doh. Charles Taylor was rather more despicable, but… perhaps less effective.

Christoph on October 7, 2006 at 11:25 PM

On topic… oh, how bout this! No action in baseball, hockey rocks.

:-)

Christoph on October 7, 2006 at 11:26 PM

Charles Taylor was rather more despicable

But strangely likeable in that Nicolas Cage movie, in an I’ll-kill-you-if-I-don’t-like-your-guns kinda way.

infidel4life on October 7, 2006 at 11:37 PM

Touché, infidel, touché.

Christoph on October 7, 2006 at 11:39 PM

the “Evil Empire” has been crushed again & by a wild card team too. it’s funny that the Yankees went out to get Bobby Abreu and spent $200million & what does that get them ? an early exit from the playoffs for the 2nd time in a row.

Starblazer on October 8, 2006 at 12:20 AM

I gotta post-season prediction for yas: Bearss 142, Mets 3.

Jaibones on October 8, 2006 at 1:09 AM

The last time the Yankees won the world series was October, 2000. Just ask yourself what disaster occurred in New York the following month. Of course the MSM won’t remind you of it, but I expected more from Allahpundit.

eagles5 on October 8, 2006 at 1:16 AM

I gotta post-season prediction for yas: Bearss 142, Mets 3.

Jaibones on October 8, 2006 at 1:09 AM

That’s less than 9 points per game for Da Bears. Not a bad season for them.

infidel4life on October 8, 2006 at 2:05 AM

Tigers-Cardinals Series.
Cardinals win.
You read it here first :)

labwrs on October 8, 2006 at 9:56 AM

Tigers-Padres. Tigers win. I am incapable of reasonable judgment re the Mets but the Cardinals are not what they used to be, lucky to be in a pretty soft division. (Pirates/Cubs/Reds)

honora on October 8, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Dear Yankees
If you don’t want A-Rod, we’ll take him off your hands. You pay the salary and we’ll throw in a pitcher.
Signed,
San Diego Padre fans
PS: If A-Rod’s in a slump in the regular season with his numbers God allow us to be in that type of slump

and the padres will make a comeback and end up in the world series, believe it!

Defector01 on October 8, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Unfortunately g-A-Rod has a no trade clause, and nobody’s gonna pick up that contract. His numbers just mean that he has no problems hitting when there’s no pressure. His mental problems are destroying his natural talents. Nobody wants another Knoblauch.
Good pitching always beats good hitting. But how good is your hitting, when you’ve got three guys with wrist problems in your line-up.
Johnson, Moose, Carl “Who?” Pavano, Sheffield, Bernie (probably retiring) Giambi, and Torre are gone.
I won’t be surprised if Giradi becomes the manager. He was being groomed and he did great with a team with 21 rookies. Cash is going to go way younger and go for arms. I think Steinbrenner gets to much shit for doing what the other owners should be doing, which is rying to put a winning team on the field every year. Aside from Boston and the Mets does anyone else even try?
Oakland over the Tigers and the Mets over Oakland. Gotta root for the NY team, even if they’re JV.

I gotta wonder if the Bo-sox-Yankees rivlary is killing both teams before the end of the summer. Last year they both got taken out in the 1st round, this year Boston caved in August.

Iblis on October 8, 2006 at 3:10 PM

Two Points:

(a) It’s great to see the whinuy Yankees go.

(b) I hope the B lue Jays hire Torre ASAP

Blaise on October 8, 2006 at 4:14 PM

Of this much, this Yankee fan is certain: The Mets, should they get to the WS, will be shredded by the AL champs.

RWB on October 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM

For all you ignorant non Yankee fans A-ROD dose not recieve his full 25 million per from the Yankees. Texas pays 9 million of it, leaving New York on the hook for 16 million. He is worth every penny of it. Cashman is not tradiing a player with a career .900 OPS that is playing at the market rate, as far as the Yankee checkbook is concerned.

The Yankees imploded, but they have rising stars in the minors along with Melky, Wang, and Cano, and will be force soon again like the late 90′s version of Bronx Bobmers. Enjoy it baseball fans outside the Bronx.

PS, Unless the Mets can some how can win 24 titles this October, they will still be the second team in NY playing in that toilet bowl in Flushings.

harmonica on October 8, 2006 at 7:59 PM

The Yankees fired the great Casey Stengel who won 7 WS in 12 years after his Yankees played like crap in the 1960 WS, and that worked out pretty good for them. Plus Torre can’t manage a bullpen for his life. The Yankees need fire, because Torre’s cool isn’t working anymore.

harmonica on October 8, 2006 at 8:12 PM

In the spirit of crosstown goodwill and brotherhood, I’d like to second Allahpundit’s fearless prediction. The Mets over whoever, in 7. Your winning pitcher here.

Kid from Brooklyn on October 8, 2006 at 8:26 PM

AP,

As a lifetime Dodgers fan, I gotta say that the “boys” from Queens are vulnerable. Understand that nobody picked LA to even get close to the post-season, and they got there with battered veterans (Kent, Nose-mar), a handful of journeymen (Lofton, Furcal, Drew), and a long list of rookies or young folks nabbed from other teams (Ethier, Martin, Loney, Lugo, Betemit, Kemp).

The Mets played very good ball to sweep LA, but LA had leads in two of those games and made incredible blunders that blew them up. The Cardinals, Tigers, and A’s are all on a better roll right now. You go ahead and smack away if they pull it off, but it doesn’t look good.

Anyway, I’m just glad the Padres didn’t get any farther. I love the San Diego weather, but I can’t stand their teams, fans, or ridiculous homer announcers. And it’s all Trevor Hoffman’s fault that the American League has home advantage in the Show.

Freelancer on October 9, 2006 at 8:11 AM

Oh yeah, a little bit of sour grapes from me. Furcal and Lofton, two terrific on-base-percentage guys, going 1 for the series between them prevented quite a few RBIs. They might as well have been paid by the Mets for the NLDS.

Freelancer on October 9, 2006 at 8:14 AM

Blaise, I hope so too..

The Jays could use Torre.

rightside on October 9, 2006 at 10:25 AM

I’m a Yankee fan and would be rooting for the Mets to win if it wasn’t for a lot of their fans. After the Yanks lost a lot of Met fans were acting like Boston fans….full of envy and jealousy. Not our fault your teams suck. Well, I guess it is our fault that Boston sucks. But anyway, for being the team and fans that subsidize the rest of the league and all you Yankee haters, you should show some respect to your benefactors.

It would be a shame if they fire Torre. I love sweet Lou, but Torre has been nothing but a class act the entire time he’s been here. There are others that should go, A-Rod, Sheffield, Matsui….and someone please get rid of that cancer Carl Pavano.

kcluva on October 9, 2006 at 11:03 AM

This baseball thing you’re talking about, it s there a team that represents the greater Boston area? All we hear about in New England are the Patriots, them of the 4-1 record, on their way back to the Super Bowl.

Just saying.