Bombshell: Scalia equates tequila with Mexican alcohol

posted at 7:10 pm on October 3, 2006 by Allahpundit

Dahlia Lithwick’s not sure why she’s offended or even if she’s offended, but damn it, someone should be offended.

Here’s the exchange from today’s oral argument. The first part comes from pages 14-15, then Scalia’s comment a minute or two later on page 16. As you’ll see, he was picking up on a reference to alcohol made by the petitioner’s own lawyer.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: But there is no supervised release of people outside the United States.

MR. CROOKS: There is no supervision of people outside the United States, Mr. Chief Justice, but he is still subject to the jurisdiction of the District Court and still subject to the conditions of supervised release that are not dependent upon supervision.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Like what?

MR. CROOKS: For example, he should not use alcohol, he should not associate with persons.

***
JUSTICE SCALIA: We have a case involving standing which says that — you know, the doctrine of standing is more than an exercise in the conceivable. And this seem to me an exercise in the conceivable. Nobody thinks your client is really, you know, abstaining from tequila down in Mexico because he is on supervised release in the United States, or is going — is going to apply having been deported from the country for criminal offenses, he is going to apply to come back — and look, these are ingenious exercises in the conceivable. This is just not the real world.

Vote in the comments: More offensive — equating tequila with Mexican alcohol, beer with German alcohol, vodka with Russian alcohol, or sake with Japanese alcohol?

End racism against alcohol now!

Comments

“Why can’t we all just get along?”
Pour all of our separate national drinks into one big melting pot.
Stir.
Imbibe.
Sing Kumbayha!
Vomit!

shermacman on October 3, 2006 at 7:17 PM

Pour another tequila Shela

Kini on October 3, 2006 at 7:23 PM

Well it’s not like he said he was chowing down the worm at the bottom of the bottle. Not that I have any personal experience with that.
I’m more of a Three 9′s guy,Lithuanian bitters,kinda like drinking gasoline.
I think this is the partner statement of Arnold’s “Hot Latin Women” .

bbz123 on October 3, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Heh. He should’ve said Mezcal. She probably wouldn’t have known what it was.

BTW, it’s the one with the worm in it. Tequila has no worm.

Vinnie on October 3, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Now this is really truly ALCOHOL ABUSE !!!!

racist booze? Or Booo’s racist, scary…..hehehe

shooter on October 3, 2006 at 7:29 PM

Sake sounds like a racist term to me.

frankj on October 3, 2006 at 7:32 PM

Who is this hyperventilating, PC prissy Dahlia Lithwick, and why would any sane person give another person’s good [deleted by author] what she thinks about anything at all?

Misha I on October 3, 2006 at 7:32 PM

It’s marginally better than equating nurses/doctors with rubbing alcohol.

SouthernGent on October 3, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Misha,
But this is so over the top dumb that it’s a public service that someone point it out. Stupidity like this can not just sit there un-mocked!

frankj on October 3, 2006 at 7:37 PM

Um, wouldn’t that mean the Loose Change douches are offensive because they keep equating smack with Afghan poppies?

Editor on October 3, 2006 at 7:40 PM

I read it and I just can’t understand why she thinks this is so…interesting. But she’s clearly worked up about it.

Maybe she should have a couple tequila shooters.

If that was somehow racist, I apologize.

see-dubya on October 3, 2006 at 7:40 PM

You gotta be kidding me.

marykatharine on October 3, 2006 at 7:41 PM

She’s worked up over belly slaps, too.

I think she’s just easily worked up.

FYI, I saw this story about Scalia on DU earlier today too. They’re just trying to squeeze a little acid from it.

Allahpundit on October 3, 2006 at 7:42 PM

Her thought process, such as it was, went like this, I think:

1) A conservative
2) Made an assumption
3) About dark-skinned people from another country.

Gotta be some racism in there somewhere!

Allahpundit on October 3, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Well, I’m part Mexican and if someone assumed I was NOT drinking tequila, I’d be offended.

What, you think I can’t handle tequila? Think I have to drink WINE COOLERS or something?

MamaAJ on October 3, 2006 at 7:47 PM

The answer is: Irish Coffee for all, and declare everyday to be St Patrick’s Day – Cuz then we’ll be Irish!

Now back to my screwdriver, that made me thristy

Marvin on October 3, 2006 at 7:48 PM

Pour all of our separate national drinks into one big melting pot.
Stir.
Imbibe.
Sing Kumbayha!
Vomit!

Been there, done that…minus the singing (I think)…ruined a brand new pair of shoes. It’s called a Long Island Tea and should be handled with caution.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 3, 2006 at 8:00 PM

Many of the ‘recent arrival’ laborers I encounter in the construction industry here in SoCal use ‘tequila’ in a generic way to refer to alcohol.

Perhaps Scalia is just sensitive to idiomatic Mexican usage.

Linguistic delicacy, baby.

a4g on October 3, 2006 at 8:00 PM

What? You’re not going to ask us if equating Whiskey with Ireland is offensive or Scotch with Scotland? Why were these left out? Aren’t they as good as the others? How offensive…

jeannedb on October 3, 2006 at 8:08 PM

What’s the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral?

One less drunk!

Hey, I offended myself! What do I burn down? Do I chop off my own head?

Tony737 on October 3, 2006 at 8:18 PM

Lithwick’s just sad here. Her thought process is almost too stupid to even make fun of.

Almost.

Bob Owens on October 3, 2006 at 8:19 PM

We have more control over Mexican beer and Tequila in the US, than we have over Mexican People in the US.

It will be a great day in America when the INS is as respected as the IRS.

Wander on October 3, 2006 at 8:26 PM

This important issue needs to be discussed at length over a bottle of Cazadores Reposado.

speed647 on October 3, 2006 at 8:29 PM

Misha,

True, Frank, very true. Good comedy must never be wasted.

I didn’t mean to come across as a party-pooping wet blanket, I just couldn’t resist this opportunity to express my deepfelt disregard, scorn and derision for every single word issuing forth from… What was her name again?

Misha I on October 3, 2006 at 8:57 PM

What about equating ________ with Muslim alcohol?

What?

They can’t drink?

Losers!

JamesVersusEveryone on October 3, 2006 at 9:13 PM

jeannedb on October 3, 2006 at 8:08 PM

That was my thought! I feel very offended and left out!

CrimsonFisted on October 3, 2006 at 9:13 PM

whatever you do, don’t equate MAnishevitz wine with Jewish Alcohol
That IS Anti-Semitism

Defector01 on October 3, 2006 at 9:25 PM

To steal a joke from Conan O’Brien the week of the “Pope bashed Islam” fiasco:

“…Yeah, the Pope apologized for his comments about Islam, saying, ‘I acted like a real Jew’”

RightWinged on October 3, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Misha,
You’re nothing but a party-pooper. Probably the most dour person in the internets.

So is Irish just a prefix that means “contains alcohol” such as in Irish cream, Irish coffee, and Irish man?

frankj on October 3, 2006 at 9:57 PM

Yah, he’s in Mexico drinking Ouzo……………

Hening on October 3, 2006 at 10:35 PM

As a former sailor in the service in our country, I can honestly say I never showed racism toward any alcohol. I drank whatever was popular where ever I was, and am the better man for it. Sake, Ouzo, Mescal, (some vodka that didn’t have a name, but had a blue skull and crossbones on the lable while in Vladivastok). It was, and still is, all good.

ArkCon on October 3, 2006 at 11:33 PM

In the words of Wanda Sykes–Can’t we just leave alcohol out of it? (Of course, she was referring to Freaky Foley)

Melba Toast on October 3, 2006 at 11:35 PM

Misha,

HA! A new banner for the website! “The Most Dour Person in Teh Internets”

That’s me. Always pushing the boundaries, always excelling in whatever I put my mind to. Second place is for losers. And Dah… Delilah… What’s her name again?

Misha I on October 4, 2006 at 1:38 AM

This line is so stupid someone ought to do a screencap just to make sure the line isn’t changed.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 4, 2006 at 10:38 AM

Tequila was created by the CIA for keeping tabs on Mexico.

BirdEye on October 4, 2006 at 10:47 AM

This “article” reads like something you’d find on The Onion.

Vic on October 4, 2006 at 11:45 AM

Cultural/regional icon association is now racist?

As pointed out and more,

Tequila…Mexico
Vodka…..Russia
Germanay..Beer
France….Whine, ulp sorry, Wine
Japan…..Sake
Korea…..Soju (spelling brain cells burned out)
Kalifornia…Bud Light (VOMIT)
England……Gin
Singapore….Bombay Sapphire Gin (the good stuff)

I’m a Hik-up, Rrrracisht too

GoingThere on October 4, 2006 at 1:02 PM

I do realize that there is alot of tongue in cheek and sarcasm here, but I did want to point something out.

True Tequila is an distilled beverage that, IF produced in Mexico must be made according to certain guidelines, much like the German Purity Laws for calling something Bier in Germany.

Tequila is in a very real sense a “Mexican alcohol” just as True Scotch is a Scottish alcohol. If you make tequila in the U.S. and ship it south to Mexico, you are supposed to rename it because it can’t meet the Mexican guidelines.

Due to Mexico’s political and legal climate, these laws are mostly ignored. However, there was quite the row some time back about Jose Quervo Gold and for a time, they changed their label, technically Jose Gold is not tequila, and they are exploiting various loopholes in export law to get Tequila labeled how they want. They even went so far as to buy an Island and move certain elements of the production chain there.

Most of this activity occurred in the early 90′s and since them accomodations have been reached.

True Tequila, like True Scotch, is a national product.

Sorry to get uppity, but I was deeply involved in the industry and wanted to share that info.

–Jason

JasonColeman on October 4, 2006 at 1:43 PM

She has it bad, Fundamental Attribution Error. Only in her mind could this comment contain a racial overtone.

Fritz on October 4, 2006 at 2:10 PM

I guess it’s a matter of the kind of Tequlia.

The cheap Curvo, or the expensive top shelf stuff.

E L Frederick on October 4, 2006 at 2:27 PM

It’s about time someone challenged Irish hegemony over alcohol-related stereotypes. Scalia has struck a blow for freedeom diversity.

Bad Penny on October 4, 2006 at 3:18 PM

What an insufferable twit Lithwich is. All this Sturm und Drang about some innocuous remark about teguila; Lithwich needs to get out more.

student on October 4, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Kos has caught on to this outrage. From the looks of the comments, none of them actually read the statement.

frankj on October 4, 2006 at 4:10 PM

Pfft. That’s nothing. I have a friend who walked into a pub in Ireland and asked for an Irish Car Bomb. They served it, but their eyes cut daggers into her.

Mark Jaquith on October 5, 2006 at 3:07 AM