Murtha’s role in Abscam

posted at 9:03 pm on October 2, 2006 by Bryan

Just caught a blurb on Hannity & Colmes intro–they’re going to run tape of John Murtha’s role in Abscam. It’s a tape that hasn’t been released before. It sounds like it will be highly entertaining.

Yeah, yeah, question the timing.

Update (AP): AmSpec posted the full hour-long video online a few days ago. I almost linked it, but is anyone going to watch an hour of Jack Murtha playing bribe footsie with the feds?

Update (Bryan): Agreed, AP. It would be a little more useful if they had the whole thing there along with a shortened version including just Murtha’s part, since he’s the only Abscam figure that remains in office–which in itself is a very strong argument for term limits. I mean, think about it. I was 9 years old when Abscam happened. I have never known a world that didn’t have Jack Murtha and Ted Kennedy in political office (not to mention Robert KKK Byrd and a few other dinosaurs still roaming the district). I want to know such a world. I really want to know such a world.

Comments

Payback is so tasty! [turning on H&C now]

I question the timing as a little advance notification of these events would be appreciated. :oD

DannoJyd on October 2, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Here’s the video, Allah – I linked to it a few days ago.

SisterToldjah on October 2, 2006 at 9:19 PM

Oh gosh – sorry, make that Bryan, not Allah (note to self: learn to read underneath the headline of a post the next time).

SisterToldjah on October 2, 2006 at 9:21 PM

Man, I never watch H&C but happened to be watching now. So what was that? He’d only let them bribe him if they did some favors for him first?

frankj on October 2, 2006 at 9:35 PM

Murtha wanted to do some deals with them before he would take any money. In Chitcago, we called that covering our ASSetts.

The man is as slippery a snake as they come.

DannoJyd on October 2, 2006 at 9:42 PM

Not the smartest round in the magazine.

During his interview with Stephanopolous on Sunday he called our Secretary of Defense “RumsFIELD”.

A babbling idiot. Keep him in the limelight libs.

Thanks.

fogw on October 2, 2006 at 10:27 PM

I watched the entire video earlier just to see how slimy Murtha really is. He was unbelievably comfortable in a situation that would send most people running out of the door. “I do business like this all of the time.” The only reason he is not in jail today is that he is a professional scumbag — he’s got it down. This guy belongs in the mob, not in congress.

mesablue on October 2, 2006 at 10:33 PM

But he’s a decorated war veteran!

Mark V. on October 2, 2006 at 11:23 PM

I grew up in SC and my first memories of politics were the ABSCAM scandal ones. John Jenrette…et al…oh, my!

SouthernGent on October 2, 2006 at 11:25 PM

This guy belongs in the mob, not in congress.
mesablue on October 2, 2006 at 10:33 PM

No, mesa, he belongs in JAIL….at least for Treason. Then we can start trial on everything else here.

he is a professional scumbag

You’re right there tho, he has that down tight.

shooter on October 2, 2006 at 11:26 PM

I haven’t seen nary a poll for Murtha’s district. I have to assume he’s winning? Who are those that would vote for a senile traitor?

(Yes, I’m from SC originally, and we voted Strom in over and over, but at least he wasn’t a traitor).

SouthernGent on October 3, 2006 at 12:06 AM

I don’t question the timing.

It’s not as if someone hid this stuff to release it at the most opportune time… If Murtha would have just kept on being a quiet little grifter and run of the mill crook, he probably could have cruised along in Congress for the rest of his life, a few bribes here, a few bribes there.

But when he draws attention to himself, spouting sedition and maybe even commiting treason loudly, AND campaigning for the top position amongst his peers, then he is only asking for old news to be re-broadcast.

Just like when J’effenK started loudly proclaiming himself a great war hero and master military strategian (did I spell that correctly), the Swift Boaters brought up old news to counter his new claims. If Kerry had just shut up and run on his recent history and on ideas, the Swift Boaters would very likely have kept their own council and let the past remain in the past.

If you are a crook or a coward or a weasel, it is wise to not have any overarching goals that will call attention to yourself and your past foibles.

LegendHasIt on October 3, 2006 at 12:09 AM

When did the Associated Press start doing updates on hotair?

Kevin M on October 3, 2006 at 12:51 AM

I haven’t been able to find a poll either, but unfortunately I can tell you exactly who votes for Murtha year after year; my family :-( Johnstown (the main town in the 12th Congressional District) is very much a blue-collar, labor-unions-no-matter-what type of town. When you ask anyone around Johnstown why they voted for Murtha, they tell you because of all the money/jobs/projects he’s brought to the area. Never mind the fact that it’s their money that’s funding those projects, Murtha has made a fine art of earmarks.

His opponent, Diane Irey, does have quite a bit of grassroots support; she has a better chance of getting rid of Murtha than any other candidate (even immediately after ABSCAM). Plus, she’s pretty hot :-) (Hey AP, you paying attention? Forget about KP :-)

dalewalt on October 3, 2006 at 10:04 AM