Michelle responds to fauxtography attacks

posted at 12:56 pm on October 1, 2006 by Ian

Michelle, after being attacked vehemently over the past two days, is responding to her unhinged detractors who ironically call her a self-promoter.

Take five or ten minutes out of your time, read it, click on the links, and shake your head at the real hypocrites.

Comments

I will repeat here my personal e-mail to Michelle:

I can’t thank you enough for all that you do for our dear country by standing courageously for conservative principles and using your immense energy and talent to hold a spotlight on the activities of the enemies of both. That you are so viciously attacked by our mutual enemies is proof of your effectiveness and the size of your audience.

Please do not be driven from the field of this most important battle for our future.

Margaret McC on October 1, 2006 at 1:17 PM

You know, what bothers me the most about all of this is that you have a portion of the world that is more worried about whether or not MM wore a bikini during the 90′s than Ahmadenijad, Chavez, or Islamic terrorism.

I find it disgusting that these people would libel someone to try and make a point. These are not exactly the actions of our intellectual ‘betters.’

JasonG on October 1, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Dear Michelle,

Please know that there are so many of us who care about you, what you think and say and do. Please don’t let these little “creatures” get you down. With these antics they show themselves just how small they are. Know that our hearts and prayers are with you. Keep us the great work and we really look forward to having you back among the adults.

marianpaul on October 1, 2006 at 1:40 PM

Just last night, I was at a local blogger get-together. There was a mix of folks, from non-political, to lefties and righties … and one fellow who, like me, belongs to neither camp. It was most interesting.

The subject of the fauxtography and Michelle came up in conversation. Actually, I brought it up as I tried to address the topic of how vicious, mean-spirited and immature some on the internet could be, using this as an example. One woman, who is a columnist for a local newspaper, said, “I hate that Michelle Malkin so whatever anyone does to her, I cannot defend!” I said, “Really? Just because you disagree with her opinions, you don’t care what someone else does to her? No matter how atrocious?”

Her: “Nope. She deserves whatever she gets from whoever gives it to her.”
Me: “So even something like being slandered, stalked, terrorized or even assaulted would be OK with you?”
Her: “Yes!”
Me: “So, you condone violence against anyone you disagree with?”
Her: “Well, she wrote that awful book about the internment of the Japanese, she is such a racist!”
Me: “Have you read the book?”
Her: “No, but I know what it’s about.”
Me: “Oh … really?”
and someone engaged her in another topic of discussion at this point. I was left nearly speechless and blinking in disbelief.

Later, another fellow, who himself was the object of a concerted smear effort not too long ago, stated quite confidently that he examined the bikini photo and determined that it was indeed real. I offered the statement by a young lady somewhere that she had bought that same bikini last year and even sent in a picture of it that refutes that it existed in 1992, and he just offhandedly said she’s lying. He knows she’s lying because he examined the photo supposedly of Michelle and he says it’s real, so it’s real, by golly!

At least he didn’t snarl like the columnist.

I just don’t get it. Why can’t people debate and argue in a civilized manner? Michelle once posted something that I totally disagreed with. I posted my views on my site, trackbacking to her’s, stated my case without calling any names and with no ugliness. Whether I ever even appeared as a blip on her radar, I do not know, nor do I care. I stated my case and I was done.

Hmmm … maybe that’s why I have a readership of only a dozen or so friends, family and co-workers …

LissaKay on October 1, 2006 at 2:06 PM

I want to express my admiration for how Michelle is handling this.
Unflinching, non-sensationalist examination and exposition.
It’s the sort of journalism I’ve always fantasized would be widely practiced.
Bonus points for dodging the output of mercenary wankers.

Stephen M on October 1, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Ditto,
Ditto,
Ditto,
Ditto,
Ditto,
To what everyone has already said.

Thanks for hangin’ tough Michelle.

Lawrence on October 1, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Stephen M says:

I want to express my admiration for how Michelle is handling this.

Indeed! The sad thing is that this childish prank doesn’t even come close to capturing the vitriol and hatred that routinely comes her way. The racist, disgusting, sexual remarks that Michelle has shared on occasion are truely shocking. These people, like the ones LissaKay describes above, are moral cretins and should be smacked down everytime they raise their heads out of the slime.

student on October 1, 2006 at 3:11 PM

The less substance the left has to lend to any debate, the more they resort to 5th grade smears like this. Michelle has been nothing but graceful, informed and persuasive in anything I’ve seen her attempt.

I feel sad for the left. How bereft of ideas and incapable of intellectual engagement must they be?

The pictures are frauds. But, playing the devil’s advocate, what if they weren’t? I, for one, don’t imagine Michelle spent her youth in a heavy, woolen Amish dress. And if someone as totally wonderful(in every way) as her never wore a bikini in her life, I’d be devastated.

Keep up the good fight, Michelle. The more effective you become, the more desperate they become.

SailorDave on October 1, 2006 at 3:26 PM

Knowing their attitude, I am not willing to give up my life to defend the disagreeable speech (based on the Voltaire quote)as demonstrated by the individuals
LissaKay encountered.

allie on October 1, 2006 at 3:57 PM

Layne, Wankette, et al can’t be fans of Voltaire anyway.
Voltaire wrote:
When we hear news, we should always wait for the sacrament of confirmation.

Stephen M on October 1, 2006 at 4:43 PM

These hypocrites dwell in a latrine, and, ironically, enjoy their medium. Let them.

I repeat, I don’t at all get the ‘bikini’ thing…especially not from the ‘enlightened’,'nuanced’ and ‘progressive’ elite…

This, from Michelle, sums it all up beautifully:

So, I’ll be back here the next day and the next cheerfully doing what I do. And the haters will be back in their pigpens doing what they do.

The wonderful thing about the Internet is that there is room for both. The wonderful thing about this country is that you are free to choose.

Entelechy on October 1, 2006 at 5:16 PM

Another sad thing about this is that those lefty idiots are getting ten time more hits on their sites because of this than they would otherwise. I followed the links that Michelle gave to illustrate her points … And for the ones that have advertising on them, added an increment to their revenues that they would never have gotten otherwise.

Besides that, just like I do when I visit the DU (rarely, and only for a specific purpose) I feel depressed to see so many shallow, ignorant, foul-mouthed and hate filled people in the world. And I also feel ‘dirty’ from visiting such pig-stys…I need a long hot shower.

So, do yourselves a favor: (If it isn’t too late), DON’T follow the links to the lefty sites she provides as proof. Just take her word for it. Unless of course you like reading profanity laced, juvenile spewings of hatred.

LegendHasIt on October 1, 2006 at 5:33 PM

Liberals are to tolerance as Islamists to the “religion of peace.” Thank you Michelle.

Valiant on October 1, 2006 at 5:36 PM

I think William Shakespeare must have foreseen the blogosphere when he wrote

“This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou cans’t not be false to any man.”

Some of the bloggers out there need to spend some time thinking about those words, and maybe writing them on the blackboard a few hundred times.

RedWinged Blackbird on October 1, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Michelle,

I just read your summary of bikini-gate. You take so much undeserved garbage. Not just the flak that goes with the territory, but realy ugly personal attacks.

It often goes unsaid but you’re a force of nature out here. You’ve had an impact not through any Townhouse-style groupthink, but through your own talent, initiative, wit and intelligence. What’s the opposition to do?

That’s why they throw so much garbage. They got nothing else.

John on October 1, 2006 at 6:54 PM

I went to the Wonkette site. I read the post (linked in Michelle’s columnn) and the comments. It almost seems as if they’re happier – and a twinge more self-righteous than before – having realized the photo is a fake.

Don’t know what it shows exactly; it might show they believe Michelle is so deserving of harm, so deserving of gratuitous ridicule meant only to hurt, not to enlighten – that they’re actually gladder to be able to enjoy the moment as it is now, than as it was when Layne thought the picture demonstrated “hypocrisy”.

RD on October 1, 2006 at 7:00 PM

Michelle,
Please stay strong. We need you. We need a voice. We need YOUR voice.
God Bless you and your family.

labwrs on October 1, 2006 at 8:01 PM

Man, I go out of town for a few days and no lie, every time, something weird happens. I’m guessing we’ll see a lot more of this sort of thing between now and November 7, though. When you can’t play like big boys and girls on the field of opinions, you resort to dirty pool.

Bob's Kid on October 1, 2006 at 8:05 PM

I don’t recall who said it originally, but Michelle’s experience here is a perfect example of the axiom,

“Nothing so infuriates the champions of ‘diversity’ than an opinion diverse from their own.”

LissaKay’s experience that she relates above should be an eye-opener for her: when it comes to perceiving politics as the window to the soul, there’s a marked difference between left and right, and one is clearly more hate-filled and vicious than the other.

Spurius Ligustinus on October 1, 2006 at 8:43 PM

My hometown newspaper used to carry Michelle’s column on a fairly regular basis. Then, for some reason, they stopped printing it, and I was forced to go online, and I discovered the wonderful experience that is mm.com. I was excited when Hot Air launched, and continue to be a fan.

Michelle, you’re an inspiration and a light to all of us. Amen to your dedication, and keep fighting the good fight.

God Bless you and keep you.

Jezla on October 1, 2006 at 8:59 PM

while notoriously thrifty ( My friends and family would say “cheap”) and not such a “hep cat” when it comes to technology
isnt that date stamping business some what more recent than the date on the phony photo? the date is purported to be 1992 .

just a thought
oh
and by the way, as a professional opinion, I must concur with many other posters, until evidence is offered to the contrary,
that you would look quite fetching in a bikini, and would be welcome on MY beach, anytime. this is an observation, you should note, from a full time, professional, Colorful Beach Personality, made while listening to the dulcet tones of the Wilson brothers harmonizing “lil surfer girl” in the background ( lil blogger girl?? )
CBP

colorfulbeachpersona on October 1, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Michelle’s response is an intellectual ass-kicking. Well done. Of course, being on the side of truth and also being reasonable seldom influences those who are trying to smear her. The left hates a smart and strong woman whose politics are not their own, plain and simple.

Bellicose Muse on October 1, 2006 at 11:43 PM

Michelle retains her dignity even under such vile attack. Michelle is a class act in every way

Perhaps these attacks should be looked upon as a compliment. Michelle has obviously hit a nerve with the Chamberlain Left and true to their “dont’ confuse me with the facts” mentality are reduced to personal attack. Michelle should consider the attacks acknowledgment that her points are to the point and accurate.

The attitude of the opponent to be concerned with is indifference. Portions of the Moonbat Left seem to have become completly unhinged with Michelle’s reporting and commentary – which indicates anthing but indifference.

omegaram on October 2, 2006 at 1:25 AM

The left has officially run out of “shock” value. There are no more surprise punches. It began with prescription LSD in the 1950s & petered out with “I know you are (Bushs’ fault) but what am I” in the 21st century.

Let’s see…fear, denial, anger, bargaining, acceptance. Heh, they’ll never reach the last two. “Bargaining” they leave their orders to the Senate RINOs.

Coronagold on October 2, 2006 at 9:30 AM

Michelle, your comment on their “personal attacks” was a bull’s-eye. Perfect ebb and flow of prose, a delight to read, and a scathing reminder of who these people are.

Now, if we could somehow distill your intelligence and get it into the water supply.

tormod on October 2, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Sorry to see that crap on the internet about you. Makes me sick. Thanks again for your work and contribution.

BirdEye on October 2, 2006 at 3:17 PM