Video: Dean says Dems are “going to take back Texas”

posted at 8:26 pm on September 28, 2006 by Ian

Earlier in the week DNC Chairman Howard Dean was in Austin to rally Democrats. In his speech Dean predicted “we are [Democrats] going to take back Texas” and the White House. Just kidding about the last part.

I’m surprised he didn’t go for it and do one of these.

This Deaniac caught my eye and my video editor’s frame-by-frame option:

Comments

Glad you clarified that he was rallying Democrats. Could just as easily have been illegals.

SouthernGent on September 28, 2006 at 8:35 PM

Oddly enough, this is the same bar in Austin that we meet at for Kinky Friedman events. Pic 2 is the “Hook Em Horns” sign–Sholz’s is only a few blocks from U Texas.

JollyRoger on September 28, 2006 at 8:41 PM

Anyone see pigs flying around there?

Defector01 on September 28, 2006 at 9:00 PM

The only thing he’s gonna take is a beating.

JammieWearingFool on September 28, 2006 at 9:08 PM

W

ha ha

ChrisInCanadaOrAussy on September 28, 2006 at 9:08 PM

Only in Austin could Dean find a crowd that wouldn’t laugh him off the stage. We shipp all of our moonbats there and let them escape from the real world at the University (my son goes there and he’s says the place is just nuts.)

Mike O on September 28, 2006 at 9:22 PM

The most interesting thing about that still you capped Allah, is that everytime a Bush family member does it, the extreme conspiracy theorists think it’s some illuminati satan worship thing… rather than stating the obvious truth that it’s a salute to the Longhorns. Bohemian Grove! The big owl! Mock sacrifices! Look at the owl on the dollar bill! Free masons!

RightWinged on September 28, 2006 at 9:24 PM

Nipping at the kool-aid again I see.

Just imagine if he had beomce President. SHEESH!

DannoJyd on September 28, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Defector01

Anyone see pigs flying around there?

Not here in DFW. The dems will NOT take my beloved Texas.

Ain’t gonna happen.

techno_barbarian on September 28, 2006 at 9:26 PM

By the way AP, the still you used on the main page is f-in’ hilarious… Is he trying to be the Fonz?

RightWinged on September 28, 2006 at 9:40 PM

I know there are droves of moonbats here in Austin. The “Keep Austin Wierd” kooks are quite vocal. They just do not have quite the following they believe they have!
Just because they yell louder, does not mean they are the biggest!
The conservatives tend to lay low, roll their eyes and just watch the circus clowns!

MITX on September 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM

UT students showed up because they thought it was “the dean” that was speaking. Everyone else was there for the free coffee.

It’s a good sign that liberals still see this man as their speaker. Who better to represent the insane party than the head nut.

Hey, Dean, WE’RE GONNA KEEP TEXAS AND THE RED STATES AND PICK UP SOME BLUE STATES AND KEEP THE WHITEHOUSE.

YEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Don’t mess with Texas, pansey boy.

Lone Star on September 28, 2006 at 10:06 PM

He’s just jockeying in front of Mexico (to take back Texas).

“we’re gonna take back Texas, and Oklahoma, Florida and Arizona, North- and South-Dakota, yeahhhhhhh”

Entelechy on September 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM

UT students showed up

Actually, doesn’t look like very many showed up at all. We had more protestors at a Karl Rove event than Dean has actual Democrats in that audience.

JollyRoger on September 28, 2006 at 10:36 PM

I hope the general consensus of the posters on this thread becomes reality on Nov. 7. Maybe I’m just circling with the wrong crowd… Several hard core conservative types that I know aren’t sure what to do on the governor’s race. In fact, I’m not all that settled either…

Perry has done a lot of bridge burning and now he’s busy with late-term bridge (read: suck-up) building. Kinky and granny are not even a remote consideration. The Libertarian, James Werner, may get my vote. I’m just not sure right now.

ricer1 on September 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM

to the dude in the picture flashing the hook’em sign: put the horns down. PUT THE HORNS DOWN!!! UT is a bastion of liberalism, but I love it anyway.

pullingmyhairout on September 28, 2006 at 11:10 PM

I am also wondering how many conservatives are going to stay home across the fruited plains. I hear from family and friends that they’re not even sure if they’re going to go vote that day but I’m hoping that they’ll come to the conclusion the Dims will get in if they don’t vote. I was wondering how many kids are being indoctrinated at UT or if they did just show up for the treats.

Catie96706 on September 28, 2006 at 11:11 PM

I just can’t escape the juvenile impulse I have to make up dialogue when I look at pictures like the stills above. Dean looks like he’s imagining how his pink combat panties are going to feel later when he’s riding his inflatable Michael Moore doll around the hotel suite. Immature, I know. I just can’t stand the guy..he’s almost as big a douche as Olberman only not as stupid.

austinnelly on September 28, 2006 at 11:37 PM

I wonder if we could get Jon Lovitz to play Dean in the movie?

B Moe on September 28, 2006 at 11:57 PM

Ain’t gonna happen!!

Texas Gal on September 29, 2006 at 12:07 AM

I want to know what kind of drugs Dean is on. The Democrats have less chance of taking Texas than I have of being appointed the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

For the record, I’m ex USAF/MSANG/TXANG Technical Sergeant [E-6]; out of service for 15 years.

Rusty Bill on September 29, 2006 at 12:45 AM

Take back Texas? Did they ever have it?

theholyhermit on September 29, 2006 at 1:12 AM

Thanks a lot austinnelly, now I’m not going to be able to get that visual out of my head. Ugh!

dalewalt on September 29, 2006 at 9:56 AM

Thank God I live in Dallas. Ya know what the bumper sticker says, “Keep Austin Weird.”

BirdEye on September 29, 2006 at 10:54 AM

Dean…..What a shmuck. I can’t believe the dems elected him the chief. I wouldn’t let that nut walk my dog. And he made it through medical school??? Not good.

Shmo on September 29, 2006 at 11:05 AM

There is NO way that this is going to happen. I follow the politcal pulse of Texas (I live in the DFW Metroplex) pretty well and I can’t see it.

Suffice it to say, I’ve lived in Texas for most of my life (with military service in South Korea as the exception) and this state has continually marched to the right the entire time.

Ain’t. Gonna. Happen.

Troy on September 29, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Amen to that, Troy.

I feel safe in Las Colinas but when I come to work at the web design factory, i am surrounded by screaming libs.

BirdEye on September 29, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Take back Texas? Did they ever have it?

theholyhermit on September 29, 2006 at 1:12 AM

yes. for a VERY long time. it’s only been in the last 25 or so years that Texas has become solidly conservative.

pullingmyhairout on September 29, 2006 at 11:52 AM

More…but Texas will always have little liberal enclaves like Austin and Corpus Christi (lots of plaintiff attorneys in C.C. and solidly liberal).

pullingmyhairout on September 29, 2006 at 11:53 AM

Amen to that, Troy.

BirdEye on September

Las Colinas?

I’m in software too and I have to admit that I have turned down career opportunities as well as contracting gigs because they were for companies that I could tell were too liberal, mostly in Las Colinas and Plano.

I am glad that we can, as pullingmyhairout says, “keep them in their little liberal enclaves”

Troy on September 29, 2006 at 1:12 PM

Imagine if John Dean was your Doctor.

I would think twice about having him do my surgery.

Yah-ah-ah-ah-ah-aaaaaaaagh!

That scream is rather ‘primitive’ sounding.

Is this a libocrat’s idea of sounding warlike? Since the concept of war is so foreign to libocrats could this be a tentative first step attempt to mimic the sound of primitive man?

Stay tuned for more.

Dean is a real warrior. I should send him a DVD of Braveheart. Skip the hand signals. These guys need war clubs, and some one way tickets to Afghanistan to flush out Bin Laden.

There would be a match of equals.

entagor on September 29, 2006 at 1:38 PM

I don’t think he said “Take back Texas” it sounded more like “raise your Taxes”.

moc23 on September 30, 2006 at 7:25 AM