Video: Vandy profs’ 9/11 panel behaves exactly the way you’d expect it to

posted at 2:49 pm on September 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

It’s all there — doubts about the official story, sadness that America has squandered its moral advantage, anger that America never had any moral advantage to squander, etc. But most of the fireworks comes from James Lawson, visiting professor of divinity and former aide to Martin Luther King. A sampler:

My contention in the middle of the struggle in the 60s in reflection and prayer and as an active pastor preaching every Sunday almost to hundreds of folk in congregation and I came to the conclusion that the United States was the number one enemy of justice and peace in the world because it was the number one enemy of the 20 million black folk in the united states…

We have denied, for example, the genocide against Native Americans. We have denied domestic violence as being a serious disorder in our midst. We have denied the spiritual and moral effects on our character, like slavery and racism. And I suggest, that as a consequence, there is in the United States a kind of pathological character spirituality, if you would, that does not allow us to accept the human race or to accept the world as it is…

So I guess the final thing I want to say is that 9/11 makes more clear to me than ever before that there is an enemy of the human race that we do not see, and that enemy is violence itself—the preoccupation that problems are solved by violence and the pouring of our human resources into how we can make our violence more technologically proficient. That, itself, is both the cause of 9/11 and it seems to me the cause of our present dilemma… I don’t think that the enemies on the outside are our danger. I think our unwillingness to look at ourselves as a people and to examine ways in which we have lost opportunities putting into common history, new energy, new possibility, we, ourselves, are our own worst enemy.

He works Katrina and global warming into it, too. Of course.

Transcript and video highlights are all available at Young America’s Foundation. The group’s spokesman, Jason Mattera, has a summary of the “best” parts out today in Human Events as well. Click the image of your moral and intellectual superiors for more.

vandy.jpg

Comments

If only the US Supreme Court had done the right thing in selecting Gore back in 2000, there wouldn’t be any problems today. We would be focusing on the root of all evil – US.

Rick on September 27, 2006 at 3:02 PM

This is total crap. I could barely watch the video, you know, my blood pressure… I am ashamed that a great southern university would sponsor such BS. It is sickening to know that we send our children to be taught by such psuedo intellectual idiots. Something has got to be done about these nuts. Sorry for the outburst, but that video just set me off.

d1carter on September 27, 2006 at 3:10 PM

well it is “free speech” according to the liberals in this country. but if a conservative had said the same thing, the left-wing media would be all over that person.

Starblazer on September 27, 2006 at 3:16 PM

I don’t think that the enemies on the outside are our danger

Mr. Lawson, you are the enemy within. I am not a racist, I do not own a slave and I have not committed genocide against any American Indians. I do my best, daily, to commit no harm to others, yet I am, as all of us are, the enemy of the terrorists. We are not going to understand and empathize our way out of this. We need to be vigilant and we need to be violent.

bopbottle on September 27, 2006 at 3:16 PM

“He works Katrina and global warming into it, too. Of course.”

Well sure! We all know those were caused by the neocons and xenophobes. If only a truly brilliant person were in charge. Someone like Rosie, or Sean Penn.

Gregor on September 27, 2006 at 3:19 PM

Can’t watch the video at the moment, but in the picture posted it looks like John Kerry is sitting third from the left ;)

SisterToldjah on September 27, 2006 at 3:20 PM

What alternate universe are those people living in?

WTF?

CrimsonFisted on September 27, 2006 at 3:31 PM

Elsewhere in KentState wacademia, this little Kok says;

The military does not make freedom free, the people do
by Chris Kok

The saying, “freedom isn’t free” is perhaps the most ironic out there. It implies that there is a cost to freedom; it’s defense. This is used to support American imperialism around the globe, which has no relation to freedom. The most ironic part of it though is that those people who say it tend to support the Patriot Act, which is perhaps one of the largest threats to freedom in America. So maybe freedom really isn’t free anymore.

Sadly, freedom makes great propaganda. Secretary of State John Foster Dulles talked about the “Free World,” even as blacks were subjected to legalized segregation and denied their rights to vote. This term was used throughout the Vietnam War as people were forced into the military. Freedom definitely is not a way to cook thin-sliced potatoes.

If the military was used to protect America from invasion, rather than to advance an imperialist mission, then it could help protect freedom. I thank soldiers for being willing to protect freedom, but [But, BUT!] unfortunately that is not the mission they are given.

Freedom doesn’t come from the military or the government but from inside people. To finish with a quote from a Utah Phillips album, “freedom is something you assume (ed., like a posture). Then you wait for someone to take it away from you. The amount to which you resist is the amount to which you are free.”

I see. So, our military aren’t “people“? Only self-congratulatory Leftists– content with posturing while America’s enemies snuff out the lives of their fellow citizens– are authentic “people.”

If only FDR had more “people” like this little Kok around during WWII when no fascists actually invaded America. And Truman probably could’ve avoided alot of unnecessary loss of freedom by not nuking Shinto-fascists for our imperialist control of occupied Japan.

I’m sorry, but not since Princeton Professor Peter Singer explained that folks should give as good as they get from dogs who hump their legs, have I been so exasperated with the way Leftists in wacademia like Noam Chomsky, Ward Churchill and (now) Chris Kok think they can habitually use their head for a colonoscopy and then crab-walk across the University stage expecting all the world to think their new hats make them look smart.

Terp Mole on September 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Please stay on topic, Terp. I notice you’ve been posting a lot of unrelated links lately.

Allahpundit on September 27, 2006 at 3:47 PM

I could barely watch the video, you know, my blood pressure…

Imagine the blood pressure of the parents of Vanderbilt students – they’re paying $45,000 a year for their kids to be propagandized by these a$$holes.

Lehuster on September 27, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Lehuster:
I know many parents that are sending their children there, and I’ve got a son who may attend in another year…where do I send him?

d1carter on September 27, 2006 at 4:08 PM

What in blue blazes is Allah griping about now? This is the 2nd time he’s accused me (w/o explanation) of allegedly going off topic. Is he objecting to my posting germane examples of the same phenomenon in wacademia? In what way is my post “unrelated”?

Seriously, where’s the netiquette infarction? How do you throw a virtual red flag for a coaches challenge here?

Personal foul: Roughing the audience… on the Offense. Off-setting penalties.

Terp Mole on September 27, 2006 at 4:08 PM

I can’t see the vid here at work, but I have the feeling that it’s the same old “blame America” first argument, followed by the “blame whitey” argument. After all, everyone knows that the spread of small pox to the Native American population by the settlers was just a plot hatched by Karl Rove’s ancestors.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on September 27, 2006 at 4:11 PM

Are there any American universities left where this type of self-flagellation festival doesn’t pass as academic discourse? If so, that’s where my kids are going.

Anyone who has this type of professor should lose 3 semester credits because their education and intelligence has actually regressed as a result.

SailorDave on September 27, 2006 at 4:12 PM

On behalf of Nashville, where Vanderbilt is located, I must apologize for these nitwits. We usually don’t let them this far away from campus.

Someone left the gate open and they managed to find their way out. We’ll be rounding them up shortly.

“we, ourselves, are our own worst enemy.”

Sure you are proffessor. Now follow me back to the campus, you have a philosophy class to attend to.

Tman on September 27, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Something that caught my attention on Terp’s link:

In fact, looking at the attacks on a woman’s right to abortion and gay marriage, you would think that al-Qaida would ally with the United States. The fact that al-Qaida’s primary target is the United States shows that its motivation is not attacking freedom.

The liberal mind at work – nothing else like it.

Rick on September 27, 2006 at 4:30 PM

I couldn’t follow the fucking logic this pieholes were spewing. If my children ever go to a school with these kinda professors, I will personally show up in class and challenge every word these dickwads utter. Of course, with the proper upbringing, I would expect them to ignore these fools.

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 27, 2006 at 4:37 PM

I don’t know why I thought Vandy was a reasonable school but it appears they’re not. I think this is sad but unfortunately it’s more apart of college campus life then we probably realize.

Catie96706 on September 27, 2006 at 5:37 PM

My kids are what Rush Limbaugh calls “Rush babies”. They have grown up in a conservative home where the superiority of the conservative view continually exposes the stupidity of the liberal view. My oldest graduated from Chapman University last May and he came home with his views totally intact if not stronger. That is the defense parents can give their kids. Of course Chapman does seem a little more balanced than this.

Rose on September 27, 2006 at 6:34 PM

He says there is a “sizable consensus that there is a reality that can be called global warming.”

A sizeable group of people thought the Backstreet Boys were so good they bought their albums. Another sizeable group of people believe the Loose Change b.s. So tell me again why I should give a crap about what consensus a group of people have reached? If global warming can’t be established by facts, if it’s something we’re taking a poll on, and academics are willing to accept that, then higher ed in this country is way more pathetic than I thought.

Laura on September 27, 2006 at 10:10 PM

“Vanderbilt Professors Exploit 9/11 Remembrance to Trash America, Christianity, White People, and the War on Terror”

With a title like that, what more needs to be said? :)

Kevin M on September 28, 2006 at 9:10 AM

Wait a minute….I thought it was the Jooooos fault? The hell?

Alden Pyle on September 28, 2006 at 10:35 AM