Video: “This terrorism isn’t our fault”

posted at 3:57 pm on September 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

The Brit papers are in raptures this morning over Blair’s speech to the annual Labour Party conference yesterday. It was his last as prime minister, which perhaps emboldened him to challenge certain liberal pieties. Not that he’s shied away from that before, but the beginning of this clip cuts to the heart of things in a way politicians, particularly on the left, seldom do. I’ll miss him.

Transcript is here.

In other subverting-liberal-paradigms news, Bob Geldof told the conference today that Bush’s “Christianist” AIDS program is working wonders in Africa.

Update: For the third night in a row, “immigrant youths” have rioted in Brussels.

Comments

Hallelujah. If only there were 10 more leaders like him through out Europe. This speech should be replayed for years to come, until the enemy is defeated.

Adressing two points he made 1) When are the mainstream muslims going to fight to retake their religion, which is being hijacked by the terrorists and fascists? 2) What is all this talk about “30 nations?” I keep reading in the MSM that President Bush is a unilateralist. They couldn’t be wrong could they???……….

Mallard T. Drake on September 27, 2006 at 4:10 PM

We all are going to miss Tony Blair. I fear the Brits are going to miss him the most after he is gone. I watched some of his speech last night on CSpan. I fear what is to come in the UK.

d1carter on September 27, 2006 at 4:19 PM

I see no European leader left who is willing to risk the wrath of the Politically Correct like Blair. Brown will not have Blair’s backbone nor understanding of Islamist evil, and on the Continent even the “Right” leaders sound, at best, lke Democrats (perhaps Merkel has guts – we’ll see) on the war. Blair’s big mistake was selling out Britian to the anti-American EU. Americans should turn to Australia, Japan, perhaps India, for friends and allies. Not much is left of Europe.

Halley on September 27, 2006 at 4:33 PM

Just like Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting. “It’s not your fault! It’s not your fault! It’s not YOUR FAULT!!” Get it Western Civilization??

Drtuddle on September 27, 2006 at 4:52 PM

And … they forced him out of the party because… why was that again?

NTWR on September 27, 2006 at 5:13 PM

It’s sad to see such a great man being forced from his job and his political party for doing the right thing.

Catie96706 on September 27, 2006 at 5:32 PM

I’m officially asking Blair to move to New York City after he leaves and run for mayor. Tony, come live somewhere that appreciates you.

Number 2 on September 27, 2006 at 6:10 PM

As a Texan, I coudn’t put better myself. I’d share a coldbeer with that guy anyday.

gary on September 27, 2006 at 7:04 PM

What?!? A European LEADER telling his people the TRUTH? Neville Chamberlain must be rolling over in his grave.

I’ll admit, I didn’t initially trust him because he was such friend with B.J. Clinton. It appears that I will have to adjust my personal point of view – GLADLY.

Not a Dhimmicrat on September 27, 2006 at 8:07 PM

How about Blair for UN Secy-General? Or is he too good for that job?

mikeyboss on September 27, 2006 at 9:03 PM

I’ve always been impressed with his speeches. Sir Winston and Tony would be a formidable debating pair. He has saved Britain for a time. I pray he will continue to find the words to guide his people, even if behind the scenes.

Because of his blood, toil, tears, and sweat, Britain remains standing against the fascist tide once again. I truly believe it is because of him and him alone that they have yet to succumb. I do fear the consequences of his departure. But Winston was called upon later in life to help his people.

And I believe Mr. Blair will always be there, until his death, to serve Great Britain in their time of need, and their darkest hour.

A fine Man, a good friend of America, and a decent human being.

Subsunk

Subsunk on September 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Long Live The Queen and Long Live Mr. Blair!

soulsirkus on September 28, 2006 at 6:22 PM

AP, I will miss him terribly too – I already do.

What’s with that Margaret Beckett woman? What lame clapping!

Mr. Blair, if history will be fair, will be remembered as one of the greatest leaders from the turn of the millennium. He defied his constituents, his party, his country, the EU and his wife to do the right thing, steadfastly, no matter how high the hurdles and the cost.

Winston Churchill of our time, especially when there is such scarcity of world leaders, in such dire times.

And this gentleman can speak. I could listen to him for hours. I cried when he spoke to our joint session of Congress.

He knows right from wrong, knows what matters most at this time, and stands by his convictions. I believe that Mr. Clinton envies him for these strengths and Mr. Bush 43 says “thanks” daily for such an ally, especially from the opposite party.

Entelechy on September 28, 2006 at 11:32 PM

Wow. What an oustanding speech. Where I don’t agree with everything he said, his words were powerful and poignant. You would have to be a imbecile to try to refute him.

And … they forced him out of the party because… why was that again?

NTWR on September 27, 2006 at 5:13 PM

…Probably for the same reasons that we love this speech.

theholyhermit on September 29, 2006 at 3:30 AM