Olbermann scared by ‘white powder’ package

posted at 1:39 pm on September 27, 2006 by Ian

NY Post:

MSNBC loudmouth Keith Olbermann flipped out when he opened his home mail yesterday. The acerbic host of “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” was terrified when he opened a suspicious-looking letter with a California postmark and a batch of white powder poured out. A note inside warned Olbermann, who’s a frequent critic of President Bush’s policies, that it was payback for some of his on-air shtick. The caustic commentator panicked and frantically called 911 at about 12:30 a.m., sources told The Post’s Philip Messing. An NYPD HazMat unit rushed to Olbermann’s pad on Central Park South, but preliminary tests indicated the substance was harmless soap powder. However, that wasn’t enough to satisfy Olbermann, who insisted on a checkup. He asked to be taken to St. Luke’s Hospital, where doctors looked him over and sent him home. Whether they gave him a lollipop on the way out isn’t known. Olbermann had no comment.

I wonder if he will bring this up on his show since he attacked O’Reilly for claiming he was on an al-Qaeda death list.

(hat tip: Newsbusters)

Comments

I wonder if the note told him to mix the powder with 6 ounces of warm water and gargle?

(I hope not, if so I guesse Olberman will sic the feds on me)

Wyrd on September 27, 2006 at 1:44 PM

I am surprised he did not try to snort it..

He may try to blame O’Reilly. If O’Reilly wanted him gone I am sure Oby would just disappear… Not that anyone other than his 5 or 6 viewers would know..

dallas94 on September 27, 2006 at 1:46 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if he sent the package to himself.

GT on September 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Totally Off Topic (OT) but I found this humorous. Fox News will be in Atlanta tomorrow as part of their 10 year aniversary tour. The show will be setting up in Centenal Olympic Park, which in itself is not unusual. What is, is the part of the park they will be located. Right outside CNN HQ’s in full view of the employees.
It will be Shepard Smith and Greta here in Hotlanta.

LakeRuins on September 27, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Wyrd, that was good. I would only add to wash his brain. He really has looned out. Hasn’t he? Big Time.

auspatriotman on September 27, 2006 at 2:02 PM

LakeRuins,

That sound like something FoxNews would do. A few years back, there was a hullabaloo about a FoxNews billboard across the street from CNN’s Atlanta office.

FNC threatens to sue over thwarted billboard

Gotta love them at Fox.

GT on September 27, 2006 at 2:05 PM

I sure would like to hear that 911 tape….

d1carter on September 27, 2006 at 2:13 PM

I question the timing

georgej on September 27, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Sorry, but I think this is hilarious!

Catie96706 on September 27, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Calm down, Keith, it’s just the powdered sugar from your case of jelly doughnuts….(imitating Homer J. Simpson) Ooooh, I like doughnuts…

Ennuipundit on September 27, 2006 at 2:24 PM

I can hear it now,VRWC rant and gloating that some Repub Operative will get nailed for this stupid stunt.As funny as it is it WAS a stupid thing to do,it will just gvie Oby more fodder to froth about.

bbz123 on September 27, 2006 at 2:27 PM

I really would not be suprised if KO did it to himself; he seems that desperate to improve ratings. If not, I hope they catch who did it; definitely not something to joke about.

Mike O on September 27, 2006 at 2:28 PM

As much as I dislike Oblerman for his weirdness, I don’t think receiving a package like this is funny. Whether you like the guy or hate him, this is serious. Whoever did this was wrong. After those people died from Anthrax laced letters, I don’t blame him for freaking out. His reaction afterwards is also not surprising. I’d have probably asked for the same where I in his shoes. And if it had happened to you, I think you’d probably have the same, if not somewhat similar, reaction.

DakRoland on September 27, 2006 at 2:43 PM

This is bull. The freak did this himself for sure. Anyone who would have actually sent him that letter … would have used the real thing instead of settling for SOAP POWDER.

This is no different than the false reports of hate crimes Michelle has written about over the last few years. It’s just another episode designed to draw attention to his show.

This could actually turn out to be the most hilarious event ever if he is found to have done this himself. He’d be finished.

Gregor on September 27, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Like DakRoland said, this is way wrong and somebody ought to get a visit from the Feds over it.

That said, I wonder why Olby was so scared? After all, the terrorist threat is just a phantom creation of the Bushitler administration, isn’t it?

see-dubya on September 27, 2006 at 2:48 PM

To paraphrase Corporal Klinger:

“Hey! Who put Cocaine in my Cocaine?!”

-T

The Therapist on September 27, 2006 at 2:48 PM

Is it that easy to get someone’s (someone in the public eye) home address? That would freak me out regardless of the contents. On the other hand, it may have been a Tide sampling promo gone horribly, horribly wrong.

honora on September 27, 2006 at 2:55 PM

i have to agree with Catie – i thought it was funny too.

Starblazer on September 27, 2006 at 3:04 PM

White powder in an envelope ain’t funny no matter who the receipient is. I don’t watch Olberman much but still if the story is true that it was an anonymous envelope then it needs to be investigated. For those wondering how hard it is to get somebody’s address, it ain’t. I know people who can get a lot of information on people just by using their screen name and a little research.
If later on we discover that this was a misguided stunt then he should be fired and relagated to replacing the ink supplies at the NY Times.

LakeRuins on September 27, 2006 at 3:16 PM

I hope they track the package. I give it a 90/10 that the ESPN Loser did it (or had it shipped). Either way, its a Federal crime. Prison for someone, bend over Keith …..
hey I like that, Bendolverman

shooter on September 27, 2006 at 4:07 PM

This is an outrage. Olberman has no enemies! He’s the lone soul out their espousing the secret, hidden views of Everyman!

Like honora said,

it may have been a Tide sampling promo gone horribly, horribly wrong.

NTWR on September 27, 2006 at 4:36 PM

I wonder if the DU people are commenting and linking here to show how “insensitive” we are to one of them.

Rick on September 27, 2006 at 4:40 PM

DU wouldn’t link here. They don’t want to increase traffic!

NTWR on September 27, 2006 at 4:44 PM

I think Tide detergent has been offended for even mentioning its name in this thread. I think GregH should look into this for us.

GT on September 27, 2006 at 4:54 PM

I can hear the 911 call now: “Sir, you say there is a white powder in an envelope?” “Yes. I don’t know what it is. It isn’t cocaine, I would recog…. I mean it doesn’t look like the cocaine I have seen in documentarys.”

LMAO

ArkCon on September 27, 2006 at 4:58 PM

This is not funny and should be condemned. Would we laugh if it was O’Reilly or Limbaugh? I doubt it.

Labamigo on September 27, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Labamigo on September 27, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Oh for heaven’s sake. I like Keith O, but it is kind of funny, mistaking detergent for anthrax, especially from one who is given to the, shall we say, overwrought. I don’t think anyone needs to be reminded that terror tactics are serious and often deadly, but you have to laugh sometimes.

Were you that kid in school who held up his hand to remind the teacher she forgot to give a homework assignment? I thought so. ;^)

honora on September 27, 2006 at 5:10 PM

He will either blame a rabid right-winger for this, when in all likely hood it was a Kos type trying to give their hero something to talk about, or KO did it himself… so he’d have something to talk about and maybe get an extra viewer or two (in hopes of breaking a dozen).

RightWinged on September 27, 2006 at 5:31 PM

Lord only knows how many death threats Limbaugh, O’Reilly et al. have faced over the years. Olberdunce just wanted in on the action.

This sounds rather dubious; if he’s found to have done it himself, he’s finished, but the crazies will still love him because of the bigger mission of truthiness.

This could be his Morton Downey moment, when that crank scrawled a swastika backward on his forehead.

JammieWearingFool on September 27, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Assuming for the sake of argument that the idiot (to be precise, “Olbermann”) did NOT send it to himself, then, as a prosecutor, this is definitely NOT funny (although comments about why he didn’t “sniff it” first are, in fact, funny).

I very may well agree whole-heartedly with the political views of the jacka*s who sent this to him, but I would not hesitate in the slightest to prosecute this bast*rd for having done so.

On the other hand, if the proof showed that he actually DID send it to himself, I would not have the slightest hesitation in prosecuting him myself. (Maybe with a little glee added in.) If he DID do this to himself, nobody needs to worry whether we’ll have to listen to for the next, oh what, 20 years or so? Maybe if he’s convicted in, say, California by State authorities, where the inmates have internet access, we’ll have to tolerate his postings, but if he’s convicted federally, there’s NO internet (except for very strange groupies who will post his letters, kind of like the Daily Kos).

For Hot Air viewers, be advised that this type of act (sending fake anthrax letters) is CRIMINAL. The Federal Government does NOT recognize the “It’s a joke” defense. If you don’t believe me, go get an airline ticket and tell the TSA screener that you are carrying a bomb. Guess what? The jury won’t laugh WITH you (although they will probably laugh AT you).

Not a Dhimmicrat on September 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM

I think you guys are looking at this from the wrong direction. He handed a check to Bill Clinton, remember? Maybe Clinton got mixed up in his rage at monkey-man Chris Wallace and forgot the money was for his Clinton Global Sex fund and sent him some cocaine instead. As to the goo gooing about this being serious; pffft. Somebody is sending anthrax to moonbat journalists? So what. What are they going to do? Blame Bush? What else is new. Maybe they’ll start covering the terrorist threat honestly. No, I don’t see Obly going out that way. When his cr*p show is cancelled, he’ll probably end up like Dirk Diggler did at the end of Boogie Nights (yes, I watched that stupid a$$ movie after much cajoling by an ex girlfriend. I regret that and ever having met her.)

austinnelly on September 28, 2006 at 1:43 AM

It was powdered soap. It was sent to him so he could wash that Clinton stain off his blue dress that was left over from his interview with Bubba. Everyone knows O’Blowhard pulled a Lewinsky on him.

roninacreage on September 28, 2006 at 7:30 AM

Just for the record, I didn’t think it was funny. Assuming someone else sent the letter to him, I think it’s an evil, malicious, and illegal act.

I continue to be wary of all outside mail sent to me. And I don’t think it’s overreacting to treat it that way.

Michelle on September 28, 2006 at 10:00 PM