Magazine, citing abortion policy, won’t let Catholic League reprint KP’s column

posted at 4:31 pm on September 27, 2006 by Allahpundit

Remember, they’re a big tent and they deeply respect religion.

This is the same magazine, mind you, from which Brendan Nyhan resigned a few weeks ago after his editor complained that his blog posts were insufficiently anti-conservative.

Frankly, I’m surprised they published her column at all, seeing as how it was, in fact, off the hook.

You can read the whole thing here on her own website. Well worth your time in case your missed it last night.

Update: Vote in the comments: Should KP sever her ties with the Prospect?

Comments

The problem is that one of their own is temporarily “off the reservation.” They need to cover it up as quickly as possible, because God forbid that others find out about a tinge of sanity in the Democrat party. It would totally ruin their cred with the moonbat base.

alflauren on September 27, 2006 at 4:41 PM

They must have heard about her and Allah.

Rustyw on September 27, 2006 at 4:55 PM

What is the deal with this Goggle video that sometimes shows up sometimes doesn’t?

The one at the bottom of the post.

Rustyw on September 27, 2006 at 4:58 PM

She’s taking her first baby steps toward moving to the right. I can just hear AP now: “Come to Butthead” … or some variation thereof.

thirteen28 on September 27, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Love this part of the Catholic League’s news release about The American Prospect:

“On its website, it says that it is ‘an authoritative magazine of liberal ideas, committed to a just society, an enriched democracy, and effective liberal politics.’ It would be more honest to say that it is an authoritarian magazine of ill-liberal ideas, committed to an unjust society, impoverished democracy, and ineffective liberal politics.’ And anti-Catholicism.

HA! KP, you know you’re doing a good job when you get censored from liberal media outlets!

NTWR on September 27, 2006 at 5:04 PM

I liked this part: “The American Prospect boasts that it has a paid circulation of 55,000, which means that it reaches far fewer people than Catalyst. Thus did they put the screws to Powers.”

Alex K on September 27, 2006 at 5:07 PM

It’s an amazingly well written and thoughtful article. I always knew there were some good Democrats hiding out there, ones who can resist the temptation of over-reaching moral equivalence to see right and wrong for what they are.

This, in conjunction with Blair’s speech to his party faithful, gives me hope.

Allah, I can now see why you have a thing for her.

SailorDave on September 27, 2006 at 5:09 PM

I vote for KP leaving the prospect. She should come over to HotAir and give a “reaonable” liberal point of view (if there is such a thing.) and besides, Allah needs a girlfriend.

pullingmyhairout on September 27, 2006 at 5:19 PM

that should read as “reasonable”

pullingmyhairout on September 27, 2006 at 5:20 PM

PMHO I agree with you 1000%. Kristen is a reasonable woman and even though I may not agree with much of what she says, she also seems like a nice person which is something that can’t be said for Howard Deen IMHO!

Catie96706 on September 27, 2006 at 5:31 PM

KP needs to bail ,If she gets a bit shy of $ in the transition I will gladly cook for her.Republican fare,steaks,ribs,etc.We’ll get her set right.

bbz123 on September 27, 2006 at 5:32 PM

I can just hear AP now: “Come to Butthead” …

Hilarous!

Do you think that would work though?

batperez on September 27, 2006 at 5:36 PM

pullingmyhairout,

I am sure Allah could give her his POINT of view.

Rustyw on September 27, 2006 at 5:48 PM

Liberals: tolerance and diversity, as long as we agree with it.

Mallard T. Drake on September 27, 2006 at 6:11 PM

She definitely needs to stick with the AP just a little longer. Her mugging by reality isn’t quite complete. But the assault has certainly begun.

Athanasius on September 27, 2006 at 6:15 PM

Sure, let Ms. KP leave the Prospect for the warm shores of Hot Air. The money ain’t much but the commenters are all good looking and their children are all above average.

MCPO Airdale on September 27, 2006 at 6:16 PM

I’m sorry Allah. I know this is off topic, but I just can’t help myself.

This just released:

The U.S. will not sit still while innocent people are killed in Sudan’s Darfur region, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Wednesday, urging an immediate cease-fire and deployment of U.N. peacekeepers.

Errr … prove it!

And I had so much hope for her. What happened?

Gregor on September 27, 2006 at 6:17 PM

wow, i guess not all liberals are loyal to Al-Qaeda. Kristen needs to get out of the liberal camp & do the right thing – become a conservative. i also never agree what Kristen says, but reading what she wrote, i have to give some credit.

Starblazer on September 27, 2006 at 6:27 PM

correction – i have to give her some credit.

Starblazer on September 27, 2006 at 6:28 PM

maybe she’s tired of all the left-wing liberal nutcases spewing their hate for this country.

Starblazer on September 27, 2006 at 6:59 PM

let Ms. KP leave the Prospect for the warm shores of Hot Air.

Yep. Palm trees and warm breezes in her future.

speed647 on September 27, 2006 at 7:34 PM

I guess I do not get out enough. I did not know who KP is. I read the piece and was stunned when I googled her. She is going to ruin the image of the godless lefty moonbats.

Bic on September 27, 2006 at 8:37 PM

Anybody know when AllahP’s birthday is?

We should all pitch in and have this pic made into a wall sized poster for him… and while we’re at it we can order a few for ourselves ;P

I think she should sever ties immediately before it gets so deep even hip waders won’t help save her… guilt by association is rampant these days. That rag’s on a collision course with the looney bin, and Miss Powers is clearly not looney (maybe a wee bit off course, but definitely not looney).

SilverStar830 on September 27, 2006 at 10:51 PM

1. I vote that KP does all that jibber-jabber you just said

2. I vote that she dumps Blogger for her blog

3. I vote that she moves over to WordPress

4. I vote that she changes the template, or at least that header to something else

5. I vote that she lets me do it while she sits back and relaxes…yeah, let Johnny’s magic fingers do all the work…

GAH you know this kind of post is just comment-bait. It’s like drawing flies to the lightbulb!

MacStansbury on September 28, 2006 at 1:38 AM

What KOS, DU, Atrios, and the rest of the Brownshirts are doing is driving out their own moderate voices.

The word picture they are painting will destroy liberalism, eventually. They hatred they invoke — at their own dissedents for daring to contradict — makes them less effective among the American middle, who is NOT as dumb as the far left thinks they are.

That’s good for us.

georgej on September 28, 2006 at 1:39 AM

Liberals never fail to be against freedom of thought, speech and expression, if it varies by more than 5 degrees from their pack’s ‘norm’, whatever that may be at a given frame in time.

Mise-en-pack!

Entelechy on September 28, 2006 at 2:24 AM

I could understand it if they decided to not print a pro-abortion article, but KP’s article was great, it did not bash anyones religion, and it should have been allowed.

Call this proof of how liberalism fogs relevancy.

DannoJyd on September 28, 2006 at 9:15 AM

Allah’s instincts prove good!

KP’s intellect withstand’s reason!

There is only one problem like our other reasonable Democrat friend I fear she too will be thrown out I hope Senator Leiberman will keep a seat warm. That is if they won’t come over to the dark side and join us!

At least KP has Allah to comfort her. Who does Leibs have to comfort him?

Priest on September 28, 2006 at 9:31 AM

First, I don’t care whether or not Kirsten severs her ties with Prospect. That’s her business.
;)

Second, to the last line in Kirstens article:

The only people responsible for acts of violence against innocent victims are the perpetrators. In this, as in far too many other cases, those perpetrators are Muslims acting in the name of God.

She is, again, almost right. But in then end, like most liberals on this issue, wrong.

Muslims do not act in the name of God. They act in the name of “a” god, specifically Allah.

Allah does translate as God in Arabic and Islamic culture, but Allah is not a direct translation to God within Western Culture.

The first thing Kirsten needs to do is stop trying to equate Allah-God with the Western/Biblical Yahwey-God or Christian Father/Christ/Spirit-God.

This is one of the biggest hangups that Western Civilization is having with Islam. We ignorant Westerners just can’t seem to get it.

We really want to believe that everyone who believes in god, or in a god, all believe in the same god. But it just isn’t true. We really need to stop fooling ourselves on this issue.

Lawrence on September 28, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Very nice start. Maybe AP has found a seed.
Keep the process in mind for like conversions if successful.

To KP:

WELCOME TO THE “DARK SIDE”. Tor.

tormod on September 28, 2006 at 2:06 PM

nah. leave her there. Someone has to bring something resembling reason to the far lefties.

One Angry Christian on September 28, 2006 at 2:40 PM

Isn’t bringing something resembling reason to the far lefties the equivalent of casting your pearls before swine? They can’t understand reason, so they just trample it underfoot.

C’mon, KP, come over here, hang with us. We’re nice, we’re friendly, we have intelligent debate.

Can you imagine having MM, KP, MKH, and Bethany working together? I think it might just kill AP.

theholyhermit on September 29, 2006 at 12:14 AM

2. I vote that she dumps Blogger for her blog

3. I vote that she moves over to WordPress

Now you’re getting me all hot and bothered. ;-)

Regarding the issue at hand, however, while the Prospect is ridiculous, it is trumped in ridiculousness only by The Catholic League. And I’m saying that as a Catholic. They simply can’t take a joke if the subject matter even vaguely touches on Catholicism. Every time an episode of South Park is re-run that touches on Catholics in any way, they issue a scathing press release.

The Prospect and The Catholic League need to get together, have a few beers, and stop taking everything so seriously.

Mark Jaquith on September 29, 2006 at 4:19 AM