Israel says terrorists might be using … armored press vans

posted at 11:17 am on September 22, 2006 by Allahpundit

So says the director of the government press office. It’s not clear if they have actual intel about this or if it’s conjecture based on the fact that the vehicles sometimes operate outside the areas they’re limited to by their licenses. As for the van that was hit last month:

The vehicle’s presence in Gaza in itself constituted a violation of its license terms, and moreover, the jeep was carrying only Palestinians – one with links to Hamas who was not a Reuters employee.

If they thought the van was carrying terrorists, why didn’t they say so at the time?

That’s my first reaction. My second reaction is, who cares about them targeting covert terrorists when they’re unwilling to target terrorists operating right out in the open? This morning Nasrallah crawled out of the hole he’s been hiding in for the past two months and addressed 500,000 people at a “victory” rally in Beirut. The topic? How no army will ever disarm him, whatever the UN might say.

nasrallah-rally.jpg

And he’s right. No UN army ever will.

Comments

Do you think Israel knew Nasrallah was going to come out of his hole, and decided not to kill him? Or did he sneak out, and then sneak back in?

Kevin M on September 22, 2006 at 11:20 AM

Unbelievable!

whoda thunkit

SilverStar830 on September 22, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Didn’t Michelle already prove that the press and the terrorist’s are one and the same.

Oops! I am over-generalizing again that was one rogue journalist.

Do I have to draw rolled eyes here.

Priest on September 22, 2006 at 12:11 PM

I seems like all of the citizens of the besieged state if Israel need armored vehicles…seeing as most of these terrorist thugs don’t differentiate between civilian and military anyway. So the press uses armored vans…so what. Oh it upsets you because you can’t kill any more innocent civilians?

bentman78 on September 22, 2006 at 12:19 PM

“So the press uses armored vans…so what. Oh it upsets you because you can’t kill any more innocent civilians?”
Please ignore that…I don’t know what I was thinking when I typed that.

bentman78 on September 22, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Funny how these guys define “victory”.

Yeah, my face is a bloody pulp, but you oughta see what I did to the other guy’s fist!

Tony737 on September 22, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Call me crazy, but isn’t what Predator drones were made for? The IDF is a long ways away from the days of King David, that’s for sure.

Kid from Brooklyn on September 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM

On August 27 an Israel Defense Forces helicopter hit an armored vehicle that belonged to the Reuters news agency in Gaza. According to Seaman, the incident illustrated the failures in overseeing the use of armored vehicles granted to the foreign media agencies with the permission of the State.

So, I guess this is official confirmation? I’d still like to know what they hit it with, and why our troops aren’t driving armored Land Rovers.

Pablo on September 22, 2006 at 2:13 PM

Actually, terrorists using press vans makes sense. I’m waiting for the next supreme court decision that codifies terrorism as a form of free speech protected by the 1st amendment; for example: I don’t like what you have to say, therefore I am within my rights to stab you 35 times and punt your severed head into my rubbermaid trash can.

austinnelly on September 22, 2006 at 2:13 PM

Meanwhile in wacademia, NCState (host of “Exterminate Whitey” lectures) now offers Hezbollah apologist lecture;

Professor explains Middle East conflict
‘In The Know’ series debuts on Centennial Campus with lecture about Hezbollah, Israel

Akram Khater, director of the international studies program and an associate professor of history, gave an hour-long lecture about the Hezbollah-Israeli conflict in the Middle East on Centennial Campus Wednesday evening.
—–
The Hezbollah is a military unit based in Lebanon. Created in 1983 by radical youth tired of Israeli occupation in their country, the Hezbollah is often viewed simply as a band of bloodthirsty terrorists. However, according to Khater, this is a misunderstanding.

“They are the most active, the most articulate and the most effective military unit in the Middle East,” Khater said. “They are simply a resistance movement for the oppressed against the oppressor.”

Not a peep about 241 American peacekeepers mass-murdered by Hezbollah. Not a whisper about their Iranian overlords.

Just terrorism apologism, masquerading as scholarship.

Terp Mole on September 22, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Interesting report. Brings back fond memories of the reuters van attack debate here a couple of weeks ago.

NPP on September 22, 2006 at 4:32 PM

Israel fought with half of every damn thing tied behind their back thanks to their liberal Prime Minister Olmert.

Let that be a lesson to America.

doingwhatican on September 22, 2006 at 8:15 PM

Kevin M on September 22, 2006 at 11:20 AM

I believe Israel is smart in letting him sniff the air for a while.

Call me crazy, but isn’t what Predator drones were made for?…

Kid from Brooklyn on September 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Good things take time…

Entelechy on September 22, 2006 at 11:16 PM

The Israeli government gave him the green light by issuing
a statement that they would not try to asassinate him at this event. His bragging about 20,000 rockets in inventory
may not help him on his next appearance however.

gary on September 23, 2006 at 10:02 AM

I believe Israel is smart in letting him sniff the air for a while Entelechy on September 22

Good point.

He couldnt resist bragging about his rocket inventory.

Some people don’t like the local hunting practice of putting out apples and feed to bait deer because they say the deer become so tame it is not sport. IMHO this is the best way to hunt because you get a clean hit and the deer does not suffer. There is a bad side effect of spreading contagion where deer gather. This is the same plus and minus as a Nasrallah rally.

entagor on September 25, 2006 at 11:53 AM