Jew-hating, gay-bashing jihadist cleric warns Pope: Islam means peace

posted at 9:16 pm on September 14, 2006 by Allahpundit

No violence yet, but give it time. It was months after the Mohammed cartoons were published before the first embassy went up in smoke.

For now, the fuming is purely metaphorical, although the head of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood — which gave young Ayman al-Zawahiri his start in fundamentalism — did hint yesterday that insulting the prophet could “trigger wars.” That comes straight from the MB’s English-language website, by the way. You’ll find it tucked in between a fawning interview with Zawahiri’s elderly uncle and a preemptive reminder that “Israel Will Be Responsible For The Next 9/11.”

Turkey’s top religious official says the Pope’s visit this winter is in jeopardy. The leader of one of Kuwait’s religious parties called on Arab Muslim states to recall their ambassadors from the Vatican. But the prize for best reaction goes to our pal Sheikh Qaradawi of al-Azhar University, who urged Benedict to listen to “reason”:

In Qatar, prominent Muslim scholar Sheikh Youssef al-Qaradawi rejected the Pope’s comments and said Islam was a religion of peace and reason.

“Muslims have the right to be angry and hurt by these comments from the highest cleric in Christianity,” Qaradawi told Al Jazeera television. “We ask the pope to apologize to the Muslim nation for insulting its religion, its Prophet and its beliefs.”

Qaradawi last appeared on this site in a video in which he congratulated Mel Gibson for portraying Jews as Christkillers. He’s given more than one sermon during Friday prayers calling upon God to “destroy the aggressor, treacherous Jews,” and he’s used his considerable influence to declare the killing of Americans in Iraq — including American civilians — a religious duty. He also thinks homosexuality should be punished, but as to whether that punishment should involve being thrown from cliffs, burned alive, or something lesser, he acknowledges there’s disagreement.

The Pope, naturally, has pussed out and (sort of) apologized. His speech is still available at the Vatican website, though. Go ye and read of it.

Comments

I didn’t see an apology in the linked article, just a demand for one. Saying he did not mean to offend and apologizing are two different animals. You go Bennie!

Valiant on September 14, 2006 at 9:26 PM

Sniveling, whiny babies. They want to rule the planet, but are like quivering jellyfish at the slightest criticism, real or imagined.

A pathetic bunch.

Just STFU already.

JammieWearingFool on September 14, 2006 at 9:28 PM

I say we put the pop and OBL in the ring together. Cage match. I got fiddy bucks on the pope. I mean … have you seen that guy? he looks MEAN! Sides, OBL never actually does any of his own dirty work. He just kinda wanders around with a stick giving orders and looking tall and white.

ya know I never thought of this, but … he IS kind of obsessed with white. I wonder … you think he’s Arian?

One Angry Christian on September 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM

Heh, fantastic image for this story Allah.

Jammie, they are indeed (h/t Glenn) sniveling. They cannot accept criticism whatsoever and they don’t play well with others.

Bellicose Muse on September 14, 2006 at 9:31 PM

Agree that Islam is peaceful…

Or we will KILL YOU!!!

speed647 on September 14, 2006 at 9:42 PM

From the religion of death wishes, in part from a link :

“..wipe them out, destroy their power, and prevent them from committing aggression against your servants. O God, destroy the aggressor, treacherous Jews. O God, destroy the aggressor Americans. O God, destroy the fanatic pagans. O God, destroy the tyrannical Crusaders.”

How dare anyone that utters such words ask of ANY peaceful person anything, let alone an apology.

Sometimes you lose your right to ask for ANYTHING, and many in the muslim(pissonsomeofthem) religion/government have long since lost the right to participate in these matters.

Hey al-Qaradawi , You dont have the right to ask!

shooter on September 14, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Have you guys noticed the parallels with the islamo-fascists and your average lefty? They both want peace and understanding but if you don’t see it their way, they’ll bust down your door and dig your heart out of your chest with a spork…I think we’ve got the fascist part dead on in naming these guys.

austinnelly on September 14, 2006 at 9:53 PM

What? “The Muslim world is currently undergoing a deep crisis….”? Does that mean that some significant percentage of them are becoming Jihadis?

Does that mean that the United States should not identify the major sources of infestation and use it’s nuclear weaponry to rectify the problem?

And if we actually use MANY multiple nuclear weapons, doesn’t that actually (and scientifically) mean that the Global Warming problem will be solved because we have eliminated many “heat sinks” (i.e., cities) and added to the albedo (plain-talk, “planetary reflectivity,” which has a direct correlation to global warming) of Mother Earth? (Somebody tell Al Gore that the “answer” has been found.) And if that is the case, shouldn’t we just go ahead and “take out” several American centers of supra-hot-air? I suggest that all of the Uber-lib West Coast cities be on the list. New York City and the entire BosWash corridor come to mind as well. But please let me know. My parents live in California, and I (unfortunately) live too close to Washington, D.C. I would appreciate some advance warning.

Not a Dhimmicrat on September 14, 2006 at 10:04 PM

Did I not warn you about this last night?

Allahpundit on September 14, 2006 at 10:05 PM

I’ve got their “Religion of Peace“… Right Here Baby

SilverStar830 on September 14, 2006 at 10:11 PM

I am commenting ABOUT Jihadists. NOT about Muslims in general. If I need to be specific, I will take care to label them as such in posting on other sites. Since they don’t care to distinguish between so-called “Crusaders” and (presumably) Christian “non-Crusaders,” I succumb to a rather human failing to NOT distinguish amongst them.

Like I said last night, I don’t actually care what people believe. They have the right, as I do, to choose what they believe in. When their “right” to believe interferes with what I believe in or will live my life by, then it becomes a problem.

Perhaps I am TOO “direct” in expressing my views? I shall seek other avenues to do so.

Thank you. I am sorry if I somehow offended you for expressing my beliefs about the threat we are facing. I actually knew, and liked, Barbara Olson from the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office. I lost a friend on 9/11/01, and therefore, perhaps, I am jaundiced.

Please express my thanks to Michelle Malkin for having the courage to express her views. I shall continue to check HotAir and MichelleMalkin on a daily basis. Do NOT give up the fight, but DO NOT succumb to the politically-correct world that demands that an “over-generalization” about the Muslim polity (which, by the way, Robert Spencer makes a telling argument that the “over-generalization” actually ISN’T) must be suppressed. I shall look forward to future posts about your continuing-fascination concerning “Bethany” (it isn’t that she’s not seriously HOT, it’s just that I’m too old, too married, and have adult-age children, to care anymore).

Goodbye.

Not a Dhimmicrat on September 14, 2006 at 10:49 PM

I wonder what they’d say if they were the Religion of War

Iblis on September 14, 2006 at 11:34 PM

The Pope must commit seppuku on St Peter’s Square. Now.

Niko on September 14, 2006 at 11:53 PM

They’re not snivelling or whining guys. They’re setting up their next move.

They embrace the worldview that any insult to Islam or themselves justifies violent, bloody, vengeance, so it is useful and convenient to be horrifyingly and insupportably offended and insulted by anything that your enemy does or says.

They are just publicly manufacturing their excuse, giving themselves cover and permission (at least to the ‘faithful’) for the next Religion Of Peace blood-drenched slaughter.

Consider it a warning. I won’t be surprised to see a cathedral bombed or a busload of nuns blown up.

After all, their feelings are hurt.

the-gunslinger on September 15, 2006 at 12:23 AM

Has anyone seen the peaceful part of the Religion of Peace?

They’re obliged to be outraged at less than flattering descriptions of their religion or their prophet who was good enough to be a pedophile. As if no one is going to run with that little fact.

Any offense against any Muslim obliges all of the others to be outraged as though they each had been so offended. An attack one one Muslim is an attack on all Muslims…except for when Allah wants you to kill them. But an infidel prints cartoons? Allah requires that someone die, and several do.

An imaginary copy of the koran gets a swirly? Someone must die, and several do.

What is so peaceful about this religion? I think that question should be asked of every Muslim spokesmouth who purports to have a solution involving respect for a religion of peace.

Pablo on September 15, 2006 at 2:29 AM

Has anyone seen the front page of Drudge? Religion of Peace, my ass.

pullingmyhairout on September 15, 2006 at 10:43 AM

Can anyone post a well-thought, succinct definition of “Peace” according to: 1) General Muslim teachings; and 2) Islamofascist Muslim teachings? I would like to know what the distinction is between these and, say, the Western, even Christian, concept of “Peace”. And, is this not the heart of the problem with the West’s understanding of the current geopolitical situation?

Are there, perhaps, some good books and/or articles to read? I am really trying to become more educated. Thanks!

BNCurtis on September 15, 2006 at 11:26 AM

HEY! Allahpundit! This got picked up by and Assyrian news source-aina.org-check it out.

NTWR on September 15, 2006 at 5:17 PM

I found it linked from here, (big surprise from me…)

Under the spinach and Pope headlines anger dyslexic Muslims, where it says “Pope asks peaceful Muslims not to behead him on al-Jazeera.”

NTWR on September 15, 2006 at 5:22 PM