Marked for death: Pope slams Islam for preaching violence

posted at 11:50 pm on September 13, 2006 by Allahpundit

Just a matter of time now. Nothing brings out the killer in jihadis like accusing them of being killers.

Pope Benedict has hit out at Islam and its concept of holy war during a visit to his Bavarian homeland.

The thinly veiled attack on extremist Islam’s justification for terrorism came during a theological lecture to staff and students at the University of Regensburg, where the former Joseph Ratzinger taught theology in the 1970s.

Using the words, “jihad” and “holy war”, the Pope quoted criticisms of the prophet Mohammed by a 14th century Byzantine Christian emperor, Manuel II, during a debate with a learned Persian.

“Show me just what Mohammed brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached,” Benedict quoted the emperor as saying.

I’m thinking truck bomb, St. Peter’s square. Time elaborates:

His discourse Tuesday sought to delineate what he sees as a fundamental difference between Christianity’s view that God is intrinsically linked to reason ( the Greek concept of logos) and Islam’s view that “God is absolutely transcendent.” Benedict said that Islam teaches that God’s “will is not bound up with any of our categories, even that of rationality.” The risk he sees implicit in this concept of the divine is that the irrationality of violence can potentially be justified if someone believes it is God’s will.

As a famous man once said, “Allah is the greatest. Allah is the greatest. Allah is the greatest.”

If the Pope keeps talking like this, he might just lure me back into the fold. Not a moment too soon, either, as I’ve been exploring Protestantism of late. But that’s only because of the money, the parties, and the women.

Sort of related: The Pope’s not the only western leader bucking conventional wisdom this week. I guess the five-year anniversary’s brought out a little Todd Beamer in all of us.

Comments

If he were wearing a black robe in that photo, The Pope would be a dead ringer for The Emperor. Then the Islamists would listen to him for sure, or face the wrath of his fully armed and operational battle station.

Man, am I ever a nerd.

Squid Vicious on September 14, 2006 at 12:04 AM

The force is strong in you young Squid.

bbz123 on September 14, 2006 at 12:46 AM

A borderline … all right, can’t be blasphemous nerd, but there must be something bad Catholics will do to you for comparing the Pope to pure evil.

But *I* laughed. I’m Protestant. ;)

Anwyn on September 14, 2006 at 12:55 AM

… but happy the Pope calls a spade a spade. Allah, you’re giving me chills down the spine with that retribution talk. I hope you’re wrong. So far they don’t seem to have the guts or … ? to go for individual assassinations in very high places. A filmmaker here and there, yah. The Pope? Like I said, hope you’re wrong.

Anwyn on September 14, 2006 at 12:56 AM

>and the women.

Yo, but isn’t MKH Catholic? And Powers, her red hair and my racial prejudice tell me she’s another one. They’re everywhere, you know, taking their orders from Benedict. So I’m glad he’s starting to give good ones.

Alex K on September 14, 2006 at 12:57 AM

>The Pope would be a dead ringer for The Emperor.

He finds your lack of faith disturbing.

(warning: anyone who points out that’s Vader’s line and not the Emperor’s is a big nerd)

Alex K on September 14, 2006 at 1:00 AM

I don’t trust polls and stats, but I confess I’d like to see a political breakdown of Star Wars fans. I’ve got me my suspicions.

Anwyn on September 14, 2006 at 1:09 AM

Unfortunately, this Pope’s record so far is quite a mixed bag. He has also said things that can only infuriate those of us hoping for victory in the war. But no doubt, the fatwahs will be issued, and the world will condemn the Vatican for instigating a Holy War against Muslims…

Halley on September 14, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Ach du lieber Benedict! At least he’s not waiting for many years after the war to express his sorrow for not acting sooner…popes have never been my fancy but he’s trying. Let’s see what follows from him…might be part of European nuance.

Tony Blair. The. Best. Ever. In. Our. Time. Along. With. Howard.

“The strain of, frankly, anti-American feeling in parts of European politics is madness when set against the long-term interests of the world we believe in,” he said.

This “madness” Mr.Blair is called aADS – anti-American-Derangement-Syndrome. It has no antidote, yet.

Entelechy on September 14, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Well,Halley,we did not start this,but as usual we will have to finish it.

bbz123 on September 14, 2006 at 1:50 AM

The Pope’s full address is on radiovatican.org:

(I’m not a Catholic, but was interested in his full statements.)

With his planned November visit to Turkey, I’m wondering what the security will be like there…

ricer1 on September 14, 2006 at 1:51 AM

Yo, but isn’t MKH Catholic?—Alex K.

How many brigades do the Mullah’s have, Alex? Because they would all have to come thru me to get to MKH.

Unless, of course, my beloved Crimson Tide were on television. In which case, they better only try during halftime.

Jack M. on September 14, 2006 at 1:54 AM

I was really happy to see Benedict say this although I also wonder if he’s marked for death now. I know he had a bad rap coming in but he’s not been too bad. I loved John Paul (we even named our adopted son after him-I know dorky Catholic) but the last few years just weren’t that good. At least Benedict is starting to say some things many of us feel.
Wasn’t it Stalin who asked how many brigades the Vatican had?

Catie96706 on September 14, 2006 at 2:48 AM

Catie,

I think so. And I’m not even sure I got the quote right. He either said “brigades” or “divisions”, I think.

In any event, it was by no means an endorsment of Stalin. It was just a lame attempt to make a joke out of a historically ridiculous phrase.

Jack M. on September 14, 2006 at 3:21 AM

Well… at least Darth Benedict is preaching against Islam. If he were truely the Dark Lord of the Sith, he’d be in Osama’s shoes.

At least the Pope has balls enough to call as rose a rose… or in this case, Mohammad a deranged loon.

E L Frederick on September 14, 2006 at 7:30 AM

I’ll say this for the Pope- he is every bit as courageous as John Paul II.
I just hope (vainly I fear) that he won’t be targeted for assassination like John Paul II. If he is I have no doubt he will deal with it with courage & grace.

I wonder if the jihadists would consider the ramifications if they did decide to kill Benedict. Probably not. I can’t speak for my fellow Catholics (though I’m lapsed) but I for one would be absolutely enraged if the Pope was murdered by jihadists.

Abigail Adams on September 14, 2006 at 8:47 AM

If he is marked and God-forbid is murdered, I’m sure the “progressives” will figure out a way to make it a dark Rovian plot and a vast rightwing conspiracy.

pullingmyhairout on September 14, 2006 at 10:03 AM

And that says it all about “progressives”, doesn’t it?

Abigail Adams on September 14, 2006 at 10:11 AM

The last Pope was shot by a muslim.

His statements surprised me. When he was first inducted, Catholic liberals were upset. However, he has been rather quiet. He made some strong statements here. Especially his crtitique of Islam.

Political correctness, and political survival have made many religious leaders morally equivocate Islam, despite being professors of a Christian faith that says: None come to the Father except through Me. If you believe what Christ said, you have to evangelize (attempt to share the faith) and accept Jesus’s absolutist statements about the way to salvation, and Heaven.

This tells me the guy has courage and conviction. He is obviously willing to die for his faith. That tells me he really believes, like the last Pope who took the slow Catholic route to death both as his cross, and to set an example against those who believe in euthanizing the dying.

Benedict may be killed, but he will triumph. This sort of courage is why the Christians won against pagan Rome.

entagor on September 14, 2006 at 10:34 AM

I have a lot to pray about and the safety of Papa Benny is at the top of the list. If, God forbid, he’s shot by a jihadist, that mushroom cloud you’ll see emanating from the South is me.

Ellen on September 14, 2006 at 11:05 AM

I’m telling you there is something in the water over there and the Muslims are stricken from it. As a result, I really can’t see them being capable of running governments that are up to speed. They all seem to display a ton of big warts, not the least of which is deep seeded corruption.
In Iraq, I’m afraid the public there doesn’t possess the right stuff to make things happen and get things done.

Too bad, but I call them as I see em.

Shmo on September 14, 2006 at 11:17 AM

Good for the Pope. It’s about time the Catholic Church started standing up to Islam. JPII had a lot of moral courage during the Cold War, but he began to go wobbly on the threat posed by radical Islam. Nice to see Benedict isn’t having any of that.

thirteen28 on September 14, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Islam won’t declare war on Catholisicm. Not as long as the nuns stay dressed in their uber-burkas. Acually, there are a lot of similarities between the two religions, not the least of which being that neither one has much use for “Born Again Christians.”

Doug on September 14, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Jack, I realized it was a joke but it was just one of those things that gets into your head and drives you nuts until you can figure out who said it! :)
Doug, don’t know too many nuns who actually wear the habit anymore. The only ones I have seen are from the third world but the rest all shop at Macy’s! ;) As for Born Again Christians, I wouldn’t say that is true much of the time. I know many more Catholics who don’t have a use for Ted Kennedy or John Kerry for that matter.

Catie96706 on September 14, 2006 at 12:29 PM

The Pope will be in Turkey this November. I wonder how much (or if any) money Turkish authorities set aside for providing “security” …

Niko on September 14, 2006 at 12:32 PM

BEHEAD THOSE WHO CLAIM ISLAM IS NOT A PEACEFUL RELIGION

I admire the pope for speaking the truth but he might just find out that the above isn’t a humorous play on words.

Defector01 on September 14, 2006 at 12:35 PM

Good to see the Vatican is growing a pair

One Angry Christian on September 14, 2006 at 12:42 PM

Hmmmm. If Allah is a Catholic, does this mean all Muslims have to join the Catholic Church?

Pope Benedict XVI has made some statements that are in clear contrast to what Muslims had expected from the Holy See. This is not the first time he has challenged Muslims and Islam. Although, to be fair, his administration is far more outspoken than he is, for obvious reasons. However, this is also in contrast to Pope John Paul the Great, of blessed memory, who sought cooperation among faiths and, in attempting this, refrained from criticizing Islam. John Paul the Great’s policies had their laudable purposes, and so do Benedict’s.

I hope this is the beginning of a somewhat friendly challenge to Muslims to shape up their behavior. Thanks to the goodwill generated by John Paul the Great, Muslims do tend to listen to what the Holy See says, considering it one of their allies in Christendom. But there is no doubt that even in quoting a long-dead emperor, the Pope’s words will stir resentment among some Muslims (who expect others to respect them only and not criticize them).

The Pope needs our prayers nevertheless: he needs protection from evil and the strength to speak what must be spoken. I, for one, approve of his recent remarks (as I admit I have not been fond of other remarks he has made).

Muslihoon on September 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Nix that wealth article–it goes right in the face of Christ’s teachings. To paraphrase the Man–“Wealth makes salvation difficult.”

JamesVersusEveryone on September 14, 2006 at 1:58 PM

Agreed, AP. Other cases in point are the reactions from Muslim community leaders to Australian PM Howard and to UK PM Blair. For stating obvious facts, the PMs were accused of intolerance and threatened with violence wreaked upon their countries.

BTW, should anything unfortunate happed to Pope Benedict, I would look for the next Pope to choose the name Leo – the traditional name for Popes in times of war between the Western and Muslim civilizations.

chsw

chsw on September 14, 2006 at 2:34 PM

You’ll know the Pope’s playing for keeps when he lets the Jesuits loose on the Muslims. That’s what Loyola founded them for in the first place, but got sidetracked with all them protestants.

Islam has been on Benedicts mind for quite some time now. The church has tried to reach out and make peace with Islam, but I think they’re coming to the realization that peace isn’t possible. They’ll still try, they have to, but you’ll see more crticism from the church in the future.

Iblis on September 14, 2006 at 3:06 PM

I guess that Turkish Muslim may want to make a return trip to the Vatican now.

gary on September 14, 2006 at 6:33 PM

Unfortunately, the backtracking has begun.

Muslihoon on September 14, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Let’s see what follows from him…might be part of European nuance.

Entelechy on September 14, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Unfortunately, the backtracking has begun.

Muslihoon on September 14, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Never question the potency of European nuance!

Entelechy on September 15, 2006 at 12:22 AM

Of course there is backtracking. You don’t seriously think the Pope is condemning all of Islam? Also, one could make a strong argument that extreme Christian fundamentalists absolutely view God as transcendent in the same sense the Pope hangs on Islam.

honora on September 15, 2006 at 8:56 AM

Good for him. Thank God Benedict is speaking out without mincing words. The world needs to hear it. I noticed he was very careful in what he said, making it possible to be proven wrong but not through the faux claims of the modern-day apologists (or even the Islam-had-a-golden-age-just-take-our-word-for-it Bernard Lewises of the world).

If that alone marks him for death that would be regrettable, but it can’t be allowed to sway him from what he needs to say or limit what he says, or else the enemies of civilization have already won.

RD on September 15, 2006 at 9:01 AM

I followed Muslihoon’s linked article and don’t think the Pope has backtracked yet (though that might happen). And FWIW I agree w/him – those remarks weren’t meant to offend, they were meant to educate – and if they offend, well, too bad.

And I notice that “Muslim clerics, organizations and Web sites have expressed outrage at the pope’s remarks” without saying exactly why they were outrageous, nor why Benedict should have to apologize for quoting someone else’s words.

Then the ever-present demand to “apologize, or else” which comes as routinely as the sun rising in the east.

RD on September 15, 2006 at 9:12 AM

Catie,

Jack M. on September 14, 2006 at 3:21 AM

You got it right: “How many divisions does the pope have” is Stalin’s famous retort to an advisor who suggested Stalin might want to tread lightly in Eastern Europe so as to avoid the wrath of the Church. It is significant in our time because it points out the folly of assuming that the ultimate key to relations among nations is military power.

honora on September 15, 2006 at 12:26 PM

Again, this reminds of these pictures (if it’s down go here) of how tolerant these Islamofascists really are if you consider the fact that mere innocent pictures will send them into a frenzy. Imagine words spoken from the Pope will do?

Kokonut on September 15, 2006 at 12:47 PM

If pictures can set these Islamofascists off, imagine words coming from the Pope about them.

Kokonut on September 15, 2006 at 12:49 PM

If pictures can elicit frothing responses from Islamofascists, then imagine words coming from the Pope about them.

Sad.

Kokonut on September 15, 2006 at 12:49 PM

honora, if your question in the emphasized section was addressed to me, then, no, I don’t think that the Pope was condemning all of Islam, as the excerpt from AP’s linked article attempts to show:

Using the words, “jihad” and “holy war”,

honora on September 15, 2006 at 8:56 AM

Theoretically that might be, but what efforts are they making to take over other people/territories and subjugate them by force, or kill them, in this day?

Entelechy on September 15, 2006 at 4:18 PM