Video: Rooney blames American behavior for terrorism

posted at 7:36 pm on September 11, 2006 by Ian

On the September 10th edition of 60 Minutes, commentator Andy Rooney says Islamofascists hate America because of our “weapons”. Partial transcript follows.

Brent Baker at Newsbusters writes:

Then, however, he suggested the fault for terrorism lies with American behavior, not the murderous ideology of terrorists who want to destroy Western democratic culture: “But might be better if we figured out how to behave as a nation in a way that wouldn’t make so many people in the world want to kill us.”

The disaster on September 11th wasn’t like any of those. It was manmade. Death by design. Some people who hated Americans set out to kill a lot of us and they succeeded

Americans are puzzled over why so many people in the world hate us. We seem so nice to ourselves. They do hate us though. We know that and we’re trying to protect ourselves with more weapons.

We have to do it I suppose but it might be better if we figured out how to behave as a nation in a way that wouldn’t make so many people in the world want to kill us.

Comments

Good lord! Somebody please find a nursing home for that idiot.

rplat on September 11, 2006 at 7:52 PM

Wonder what the Buddhists did to warrant all this hatred?

B Moe on September 11, 2006 at 7:58 PM

My first reaction is “SHUT UP YOU CRANKY SENILE OLD B—TARD!!” I am NOT in the mood for your GARBAGE on this day!

labwrs on September 11, 2006 at 8:07 PM

I actually love the guy in a grandfatherly kind of way. It is however, very difficult, to hear this kind of crap flowing from his mouth. I just chalk it up to early Alzheimers or to one too many Johnny Walker Reds. He needs to switch to Compari and soda.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on September 11, 2006 at 8:09 PM

Here is a suggestion for Andy:

Stop behaving like you’re waiting to be beheaded.
Stop behaving like a battered wife.
Stop behaving like you’re embarrassed of America’s greatness, and its well-deserved riches.
Stop behaving like my crazy Uncle Theodore who has giant eyebrows and rants and drools in the living room corner every Thanksgiving.
Stop behaving like you’re guilty, when you’re not.

After that, they won’t want to kill us anymore– because they’ll be dead.

a4g on September 11, 2006 at 8:10 PM

rplat, perhaps not. He looks like a step away from death.

Successful we are as a nation which is why many hate us. This exactly like Crab Theory. Though, not everybody hate us. Those that do need to see a psychiatrist to figure out what their angst is all about.

Kokonut on September 11, 2006 at 8:13 PM

A way for us to behave as a nation in a way that wouldn’t make so many people in the world want to kill us? Like, commiting suicide?

ZRyan on September 11, 2006 at 8:20 PM

Back in the late 60s, my teenaged sister made a comparable argument — if we didn’t have these weapons, we’d have to act in a way that would make people like us. My father absolutely blew a fuse.

That was quite a while ago, and my sister, now grown, has a sophisticated understanding of the world.

Rooney isn’t a teenager. What’s his excuse?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 11, 2006 at 8:20 PM

Dammit all of you, QUIT ACTING SO DARNED FREE !!!

shooter on September 11, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Somewhere, a glue factory awaits.

JammieWearingFool on September 11, 2006 at 8:28 PM

Maybe Andy Rooney should act in a way that makes me not want to kill him….at least his outlook on events. (Sorry, but I just watched the CNN replay highlights in the other thread…I am not feeling too full of grace towards the libs right now.) His attitude makes me shake my head at how uncomprehending his ilk are.

I was wondering today how things are in Spain. After the attacks there, the socialists were elected and Spain’s armies withdrawn from Iraq. Was that the end of it, or have the islamo-facists perceived Spain’s withdrawl as weakness and stepped up pressure in that country. Spain may be the petri dish for the apologists to see what happens when governments capitulate or are intimidated by the terrorists.

Mallard T. Drake on September 11, 2006 at 8:43 PM

Only fools give into the angst of trying to please everybody….and when you have what this country has, there’s nothing you can do about the inevitable jealousy that the unbalanced will use as seeds for hatred.

moc23 on September 11, 2006 at 9:07 PM

Go to Gaza Rooney and hug a Pali,then maybe after you both go BOOM we won’t have to listen to your petulant whining anymore.

bbz123 on September 11, 2006 at 9:10 PM

Good God! This is what happens when elitism and alzhiemers collide.

Joe on September 11, 2006 at 9:13 PM

I accidentally saw that… I was setting up a VCR to record the Naudet Brothers 9-11 movie— I NEVER watch any CBS news or normal ‘entertainment’ show.

I’d be upset about what he said if it came from any apparently sane person, but the man is obviously senile and probably just parroting the words written by his bosses… Or maybe his college interns.

20 years ago I enjoyed his ‘curmudgeon’ act (I’m quite a curmudgeon myself) But he is a good 15 years past the time he should have retired from public displays of his infirmities.

LegendHasIt on September 11, 2006 at 9:16 PM

The only thing that will placate devout muslims is for us to become muslim. That is, they’re submitted to Allah and sharia, and we’d have to submit to Allah and sharia, too, in order to be worthy of life in the estimation of the faithful. Devout muslims view us as unholy. I think it’s given to us only to choose between destroying the faithful and destroying the faith.

Kralizec on September 11, 2006 at 9:28 PM

The only thing that will placate devout muslims is for us to become muslim.
Kralizec

Even if we all converted, at least 1/3 of them would STILL want to kill us because we happened to convert to the wrong islamic sect.

LegendHasIt on September 11, 2006 at 9:35 PM

I thought he ran out of brain cells a long time ago.

Wil on September 11, 2006 at 10:40 PM

I used to somewhat like Andy Rooney’s rants. But after his editoral today im afraid he’s on the list with the other nut-balls that I will never watch again – Susan Sarandon, Michael Moore, Rosie Odonnell, Cindy Sheehan, et.al.
Somehow im thinking 60 minutes Neilsons just dropped off the map.

the observer on September 11, 2006 at 10:59 PM

Andy Rooney makes no darn sense at all. He said the following:

The disaster on September 11th wasn’t like any of those. It was manmade. Death by design. Some people who hated us set out to kill a lot of us and they succeeded. …it might be better if we figured out how to behave as a nation in a way that wouldn’t make so many people in the world want to kill us.

Andy, you seem to be blaming all of us for something way beyond any rational persons ability to assume any sort of responsibility for. But that doesn’t seem to stop you. So how about I change that phrase arround just a little bit, OK?

Andy, it might be better if you figured out how to behave as a person in a way that wouldn’t make so many people in the world want to kill us. That’s right Andy, I’m blaming you for all these people who got killed. You are to blame with your Amerikkkan style behavior. You personally are to blame. The death of 3000 Americans, and the hatred of all those jihadi fascists is on your head.

Sound crazy to you Andy? Are you suddenly starting to deny any personal responsibility? Does my line of thought seem kinda crazy to you? Well it should. Because it is every bit as asinine as your pathetic conclusion. The only difference between us is that I can see the inherent flaw in my arguement, and seek only to use it as a parody to make a point. You really believe your line of B.S.

I’m sorry Andy, but we must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. You seem to have forgotten that.

EFG on September 11, 2006 at 11:22 PM

Truth be known, there are actually relatively few people around the world who hate us. The problem is that most of the ones who do are in positions of influence . . . the media, the radical clergy, but mainly the politicians who think that stirring up their citizenry is one way to get their minds off what a sorry state of existence their own lives are in.

Labamigo on September 11, 2006 at 11:40 PM

Andy Rooney is a simple, doddering old man, who is mad at the world because he cannot get an erection and he cannot control his bladder. He is angry, and he is striking out at the people who made him famous and rich, like a small child kicking and screaming at his mom in the grocery store, the mom who provides everything for that child’s existence.

Labamigo on September 11, 2006 at 11:42 PM

Andy wants me to CHANGE???
Heck let him wear the Burqua….!!!

Mellen on September 11, 2006 at 11:48 PM

Andy Rooney? What nursing home did they drag that old crank out of?

Wow! The MSM sure is hitting the bottom of the barrel to find someone with a hint of respectability these days, aren’t they.

DannoJyd on September 12, 2006 at 1:14 AM

Andy Rooney just doesn’t seem to GET IT!

So many in the world do not like America because we are, in effect, the world’s policeman. The Islamofacist is bent on world domination by a religious cult, they hate the United States because at the moment we are about the only ones standing up to them (besides Israel – and we all know how the Islamofacist just loves Israel ….. )

It is times like these that Isolationism seems attractive. The majority in the US would never go for it however so this is a moot point. A greater degree of Isolationism would put us at less risk however – and then let the likes of the Europeans handle the next problems that comes up. (Don’t hold your breath – France’s bold foray into Lebanon is an example of what to expect).

Perhaps with the next crisis in say, Africa, how about the United States stays completly out of it and see how the EU, Russia, and China deal with it. They shouldn’t even have to deal with a veto threat either – but they will still not be able to tie their own shoelaces.

omegaram on September 12, 2006 at 2:17 AM

Andy, go ask the Islamic murderers if they would like to figure out a way to behave in a way that wouldn’t want to make so many of us want to kill THEM. Yes JammieWearingFool, this old crackpot is long overdo for the glue factory. Maybe take Jimmy Carter along for the ride.

Jeff on September 12, 2006 at 5:37 AM

I used to like Andy Rooney, but then I read his ‘memoir’ of WWII a few years ago, and was turned off by his athieistic attitude. I now have little respect for the man; he’s been this way for a long time.

Jezla on September 12, 2006 at 7:56 AM

The only thing that will placate devout muslims is for us to become muslim.

Bingo. You go first, Andy. I’ll, uh…be right behind you. I just need to inventory my ammo and sharpen a couple of knives.

Pablo on September 12, 2006 at 9:31 AM

When is CBS going to retire this old troll? Good Christ!!!! He’s been spewing crap for over 30 years now. He used to be sort’ve a “wise old man”… 30 FREAKING YEARS AGO!!! Jiminy CBS… put a sock in his withered old pie hole.

I’ve got 12 year old nieces and nephews that can out think this old fool without even looking up!

singlemalt on September 12, 2006 at 10:00 PM

Andy, dear, here’s your drool towel and remember what we learned last week? Say it with me, now: “It isn’t all about Andy.” Thaaaat’s good.

Claire on September 13, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Numb nuts like you guys are the reason the world hates us. Islam is not hostile to christianity “just because”. Muslims don’t hate us “just because”. Our support for oppressive regimes (The Ayatollah, Saddam, etc.) and the enforcement of our values and protection of our interests by way of 500lbs. bombs may have a little to due with the hostility. Liberal and conservative administrations alike share the blame, and the attitudes presented by people like you will perpetuate hate and violence aimed at the U.S. If you think we can go over there and kill them all, then you are doing your children and grandchildren a great disservice.

shackler on September 13, 2006 at 3:35 PM