Breaking: Al Jazeera airs video of Bin Laden meeting 9/11 hijackers

posted at 2:30 pm on September 7, 2006 by Allahpundit

I don’t know details yet. That’s what it says on Fox. Obviously we’ll work on getting the video.

But to all the Truthers out there, let me be the first to say: quagmire.

Update: CNN was showing a martyrdom video a few minutes ago of someone who they, or AQ, claims is one of the hijackers.

Update: The AP says Ramzi Binalshibh appears in the tape:

The video showed bin Laden sitting with his former lieutenant Mohammed Atef and Ramzi Binalshibh, another suspected planner of the Sept. 11, 2001, suicide hijackings…

In the video, bin Laden was wearing a dark robe and white headgear walking in a mountainous area. He smiled as he greeted several men, which the tape said were Sept. 11 hijackers.

Update: Busy day for JihadTV: they’re also broadcasting an audio tape from al-Muhajer, Zarqawi’s alleged successor in Iraq.

Update: Things are moving fast here. We’re working on getting the unedited video; I hope to have an edit of the highlights sometime tonight. I’ll have a clip from CNN posted here in a few minutes showing some of the scenes that were aired on Al Jazeera as well as snippets from two hijackers’ martyrdom videos. One hijacker is Wail al-Shehri, who was onboard Flight 11, and the other is Hamza al-Ghamdi, who was onboard Flight 175. Standby.

Update: Screencaps of al-Shehri and al-Ghamdi. Video to follow.

alshehri.jpg

alghamdi.jpg

Update: Video from CNN.

Update: New details from ABC: “Al Jazeera said before airing the video that it was new and that it showed bin Laden personally and directly supervising the planning of the attacks.”

Update: CBS/AP: “In the video, Bin Laden was wearing a dark robe and white head gear walking outdoors in a mountainous area. He smiled as he received several of what the tape said was several of the Sept. 11 hijackers.”

I’m reasonably certain the two men you see in the video screen are Ramzi Binalshibh and Mohammed Atef, who was killed in a U.S. airstrike shortly after the invasion of Afghanistan.

Update: Al-Muhajer says he’s “thirsty for [our] rotting heads.” As for Osama, his timing was poor:

The Senate today voted unanimously to allocate $200 million for the Osama bin Laden unit that the CIA closed earlier this year in a reorganization of its efforts against al Qaeda.

The CIA decision to close the unit did not stop North Dakota Democrats Byron Dorgan and Kent Conrad from introducing the amendment to fund the unit geared toward hunting bin Laden and other high-profile al Qaeda targets.

The amendment received a unanimous 96-0 vote.

Update: You can watch the clip as it appeared on Al Jazeera in the right sidebar here. I’m still waiting for As-Sahab, AQ’s propaganda arm, to release the full video.

Comments

But, but it was the Mossad that attacked the WTC!

JasonG on September 7, 2006 at 2:50 PM

If St. Cynthia of the Eternal Muffintop can dream about Bushian infanticide; I can certainly dream about being elected POTUS and collecting all these jihadi receipts simultaneously. Al-Jazeera would go right after the U.S. Embassy in Teheran.

Kid from Brooklyn on September 7, 2006 at 3:07 PM

I wonder if this means the two orgs are communicating that well these days. You don’t release two messages on the same day. Especially when the product is so scarce. They used to have a better communications staff.

Maybe they outsourced to whoever runs the White House press office. That’s a Truther “connection” I might believe.

The Apologist on September 7, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Damn. “…are communicating that well…” should read “aren’t communicating that well…”. Damn, damn, damn.

The Apologist on September 7, 2006 at 3:17 PM

This close to an election??? It’s a Rove thing!!

gary on September 7, 2006 at 3:25 PM

But…but…but…didn’t Dan, and the NYT, and Howard, and Nancy, and John, and Hillary, and Harry say….

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on September 7, 2006 at 3:29 PM

Obviously, I question the timing.

darwin on September 7, 2006 at 3:30 PM

I see dead people.

This lacks truthiness.

JammieWearingFool on September 7, 2006 at 3:49 PM

Damn you stupid non-Truthers! Don’t you know that sense it was Bush/Rove/Cheney/Rumsfeld and the rest of the illuminati skull and bones free mason gang who attacked us on 9/11, that this tape could have been made any time? The guys who are blamed for the attack in the official version are alive and well and this tape was probably made yesterday.

(My attempt to beat Truthers to the punch on their explanation)

RightWinged on September 7, 2006 at 3:53 PM

Yeah, they think no-one’s ever head of CGI. Obvious forgery.

Iblis on September 7, 2006 at 4:11 PM

Yeah, they think no-one’s ever head of CGI. Obvious forgery.

Nah, they didn’t even need CGI… it’s clearly just Bush and Cheney in masks… can’t you see?

RightWinged on September 7, 2006 at 4:14 PM

I wouldn’t rule out sock puppets just yet.

Dave Shay on September 7, 2006 at 4:17 PM

I see ir…I see it. That is Bush and Cheney, and RightWinged, if you examine the video close enough, you can see a reflection off of Ramsey’s eye, you see that Karl Rove is the Camera-man…I knew it…Darth Director himself…

StoutRepublican on September 7, 2006 at 4:27 PM

This should make things interesting in UWisconsin Prof. Barrett’s “Into to Islam” class.

Wonder if they’re cancelling his upcoming Osh-Kosh speech?

Terp Mole on September 7, 2006 at 4:35 PM

This is the start of a heavy campaing season campers, and I think that the B/R/C camp has some tricks ready to roll out.Wuestion the timing? NO,it is perfect.
Now watch gas prices drop a dollar in the next 45 days.

bbz123 on September 7, 2006 at 4:41 PM

Will Professor Richard Curtis show his face on campus tomorrow?

Richard Curtis, Ph.D., a professor of philosophy at Seattle University and certified barking moonbat, was given op-ed column space by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer to spew nonsense about the September 11 terror attacks: 9/11 Commission report is a lie.

Terp Mole on September 7, 2006 at 4:43 PM

The guy in that first image looks like David Blaine.

CT on September 7, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Now I know where I’ve seen al-Shehri before: “Benny” from “The Mummy”.

Dave Shay on September 7, 2006 at 5:13 PM

This is killing me, I really want to hear reaction from the truthers

RightWinged on September 7, 2006 at 5:13 PM

I’m thinking and hoping their ability to communicate is greatly deteriorated. I hope the terrorists are now so confused and unorganized and useless, even to themselves that this is a weak attempt at communication amongst themselves. Possibly they’re terrified to use computers, too worried to make cell phone calls, emails , text messages, all of it to scary because they KNOW we are watching.
Maybe Bin-Hidin is just trying to make itself heard again? Lonely terrorist, no one really paying attention to him so he releases a tape? I hope so…..
-.-.-.
I also hope this is NOT a SIGNAL. NOT a ‘start now’ order for terror cells here in America.
We should know w/in a week.

shooter on September 7, 2006 at 5:18 PM

This is killing me, I really want to hear reaction from the truthers

Look no further:

I tried to read through the comments, but I ended up giving up and just looked at the pictures.

Dave Shay on September 7, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Dave, the pictures are worse. Those people seriously make me sick. All it does is remind me of what we are up against every time we have elections in this country. Disgusting.

Rick on September 7, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Yeah,poked into Craigs list to seee what the lowlifes are saying about this,”Hoax”, “Only the deluded still think it was Arabs” etc. Their heads are so far up their asses that even this crowbar can’t wedge them out.This iis the San Fran CL BTW,there are some seriously cranky moonbats out here.

bbz123 on September 7, 2006 at 6:03 PM

bah… if they can fake the Apollo moon landing like they did so convincingly when Sfx were in its infancy, this is cake.

/runs for the hills!

SilverStar830 on September 7, 2006 at 10:58 PM

It looks like the frogs in Canada are just as stupid as the ones in Europe.

Entelechy on September 8, 2006 at 12:56 AM

I didn’t know they faked the Apollo moon landing!!!!! Where the hell was I???

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on September 8, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Interesting how bin Laden times his tape releases to align with our elections. Remember the one he put out the Friday before the 2004 election? Seems like he has a dog in this hunt; no-one ever said he was dumb.

honora on September 8, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Yeah, honora, Bin Laden wants the Republicans in office because he’s afraid of the Dems. Give me a break, the guy did everything he could during the Clinton glory years to warn us of what was coming (unfortunately, that’s all Clinton was doing in the oval office). Not to mention OBL was being interviewed all the time by the MSM during that time – ABC and CNN could find this guy, but Bubba couldn’t (or wouldn’t)?

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 11:37 AM

Rick: don’t know he’s afraid of the Dems, but our invasion of Iraq was the best thing that ever happened to bin Laden. Again, he’e shrewd–you think the timing of the releases of these tapes is happenstance, well that’s your perogative.

honora on September 8, 2006 at 11:44 AM

So if we would have just ignored him, everything would be okay and we would be safer. Personally, I think he wants the Dems back in office and is hoping for that with his tapes – I think he’s trying to tell the American people that this President and the current Congress are putting them in more danger (much like the Dems message). He wants the Dems in power because he can manipulate them – Dems trip all over themselves in trying to be sensitive to the terrorists (sorry, freedom-fighters) needs, and want to really try and understand them (when all they really want to do is kill infidels).

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 12:09 PM

You know, I must have some sort of dyslexia. I think I’m typing our invasion of Iraq was a bonus for bin Laden, but you’re reading “we should have just ignored him.” I better set up a consult with a neurologist.

I’ve about had it with this whole blogging business: you seem like a gentleman, you seem smart, yet you insist on putting words in my mouth. Unfortunately with my meagre skills, it’s difficult enough to defend what I actully say, let alone what you want me say to reinforce how you see the world.

Have a nice weekend.

honora on September 8, 2006 at 12:14 PM

And then there were two.

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Oh I’ll be back. Just a bit bleary from going to the Steelers game last night so I’m taking the afternoon off.

Way past my bedtime, but worth it!

honora on September 8, 2006 at 12:23 PM

Don’t tell me you are a Steelers fan? If so, you and I are truly on opposite sides.

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Hey I bleed black and gold buddy!! So what sorry assed bunch of geeks are you for? (Don’t you love how sports foster sportsmanship???

This season opener stuff was somewhat of a pain–traffic etc but have to admit NBC spared no expense on the fanfare and glitz. GO STEELERS!!!!!

honora on September 8, 2006 at 12:31 PM

COWBOYS!!! This is our year. The paper curtain got lucky last night.

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 12:35 PM

I know a lot of folks agree with you–I think TO will turn out to be a huge mistake. I look forward to Parcells’ head actually exploding on the sideline.
LUCKY??? With our QB out? Parker looked great, ditto Palomalu and Porter. Like Culpepper but he can’t seem to get thru a game without a couple of turnovers.

Gotta run.

honora on September 8, 2006 at 12:40 PM

We’ll see.

Rick on September 8, 2006 at 12:51 PM

The conspiracy theorists can all kiss my lilly white hairy buttocks. We have video. Eat that.

One Angry Christian on September 8, 2006 at 1:12 PM