“Significant news” coming in Bush speech today (Video added)

posted at 12:55 pm on September 6, 2006 by Allahpundit

******Scroll down for video******

We actually got an inside tip about this earlier, but I sat on it because it wasn’t confirmed. Fox just reported, though, that Tony Snow told the press corps this morning that Bush will announce some “significant news” in his speech, which is set to begin at around 1:30 ET. I’ll have video as soon as possible after it happens.

Please, God, don’t let it be what I think it is.

Update: Is this it? Jesus. I thought it’d at least be good news.

I’ve got to float this just so I can act like a genius on the very slim chance that it comes true: what if he’s going to announce they’ve captured/killed Osama? According to WaPo, families of 9/11 victims will be at the speech; the White House has asked the networks for coverage. Would they really do all that just to say they’re transferring Khaled Sheikh Mohammed to Gitmo?

Has Bush been keeping something in his pocket to mark the fifth anniversary of 9/11?

Update: Everyone’s there — Cheney, Rice, Gonzales, Negroponte, on down.

Update: Bush acknowledges that the CIA is holding special prisoners involved in 9/11 and the U.S.S. Cole. He can’t divulge details but says the program has saved lives, and is about to explain how. He says Abu Zubaydah gave up info that helped them capture Khaled Sheikh Mohammed and disrupt a terror attack inside the United States.

Bush says he stopped talking and thus the CIA had to use “an alternative set of procedures” which the DOJ determined were lawful, and which he promises were safe and necessary. He says the info Zubaydah subsequently gave up info that led to the capture of Ramzi Binalshibh.

Mohammed was subjected to the same procedures and gave up info leading to the disruption of another attack and the arrest of yet another suspect, who led them to Hambali, the mastermind of the Bali bombing. That led to a cell in southeast Asia that was probably being groomed for an attack inside the U.S., possibly using airplanes.

KSM also admitted to having met with three people in hopes of producing anthrax.

He’s naming other attacks that the interrogations have helped disrupt, including one at Heathrow. They’ve also helped paint a picture of AQ’s structure, communications network, document deciphering, IDing suspects, and unraveled plots in Europe. The program is “invaluable to America and to our allies;” if not for it, AQ likely would have succeeded in hitting us again.

“The United States does not torture.” He says he hasn’t authorized it and won’t.

He says KSM, Binalshibh, etc, have been transferred to Gitmo so that the families of 9/11 victims don’t have to wait for justice any longer. As soon as Congress acts to authorize the tribunals, the 9/11 masterminds can face justice. Exactly as I thought.

Now he’s defending Guantanamo. This was the big speech no one could miss?

The transfers, he says, mean that there’s no one left in the CIA program — but the program will remain so that new terrorists who are captured can be interrogated. He says he’s announcing this now because they’ve finished questioning them and because the Hamdan decision impaired their ability to interrogate terrorists because of the “vague and undefined” dignitary provisions of Article 3. Indeed.

He’s asking Congress to:

1. List specifically which interrogation procedures will violate the War Crimes Act.
2. Make clear that interrogators are authorized under Article 3.
3. Prevent terrorists from using Article 3 to sue interrogators.

Will Churchill 2.0 have another “special comment” tonight?

Update: It’s over. I guess I have to cut some of this crap. Check back in a half-hour or so.

Update: Here are the highlights. I left out the narrative involving Zubaydah and KSM; that’s better read than watched, so go here and look for the paragraph about a third of the way down that begins, “Within months of September the 11th, 2001, we captured a man known as Abu Zubaydah.” That’s your starting point. The Blotter has seized upon the occasion to re-run an old piece describing which methods are and aren’t available to CIA interrogators.

Comments

Maybe he’ll pull away this big sheet and reveal we now have a huge wall all along the southern border. That would be cool.

Or maybe this is about how we finally killed or captured Kofi Anan.

Or maybe alien life has finally made contact with us!

I love unknown big news!

frankj on September 6, 2006 at 1:08 PM

Or maybe this is about how we finally killed or captured Kofi Anan.

lol.

maybe it will be that we captured bin laden? just in time for the elections. and yes, i’m being cynical.

pullingmyhairout on September 6, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Whatever the big news is, I question the timing.

Bryan on September 6, 2006 at 1:13 PM

Allah, I think you’re safe. I have unimpeachable sources (i.e., I’m making it up as I go) that tell me Bush is going to give all al Qaeda terrorists full legal rights to a trial as if they wee in a U.S. criminal court.

And a pony.

Bob Owens on September 6, 2006 at 1:13 PM

Breaking news screamer on Fox News:

Bush to Announce Transfer of Top Terror Suspects to Gitmo

Where were they before, Des Moines?

Bob Owens on September 6, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Please, God, don’t let it be what I think it is.

Looks like it’s worse. Al-qaida to get Geneva convention protection.

Does President Bush actually think capitulating to the Left is going to make them like him any better?

TexasRainmaker on September 6, 2006 at 1:21 PM

There wouldn’t be 9/11/01 families invited for bad news.

“Misunderestimated” again!

Entelechy on September 6, 2006 at 1:27 PM

It’s gotta be something pretty big if he’s interrupting “Days of Our Lives”(he said half jokingly).

vcferlita on September 6, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Well it says on FoxNews “Bush to unvail plan to try Gitmo detainees”. I hope he did not invite the 9/11 families for that. However, no one is saying that is all he is going to talk about… so let’s hope.

Cary on September 6, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Well it will be on soon and we can either listen and weep or stand up and cheer..I hope it is cheer! With 9/11 looming, I am particularly emotional this week and a good GO GET ‘EM or WE GOT ‘EM would go a LONG way!

labwrs on September 6, 2006 at 1:40 PM

Looks like it’s worse. Al-qaida to get Geneva convention protection.

They already had them. Remember, the Geneva convention doesn’t just protect official soldiers in uniform, it protects civilians and unlawful combatants.

Mark Jaquith on September 6, 2006 at 1:41 PM

I’m not able to watch it. Let me know if he finishes on a high note, announcing he saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.

SailorDave on September 6, 2006 at 1:46 PM

I’ll be thrilled if it’s just Zawahiri or even Gadahn. Give us something here.

see-dubya on September 6, 2006 at 1:47 PM

Come on…

Slublog on September 6, 2006 at 2:01 PM

Nah, saving that until closer to the elections. Maybe bigger WMD smoking gun too, but perhaps that will be saved for the 2008 elections if a supporter of the Iraq war gets the nomination (likely).

RightWinged on September 6, 2006 at 2:09 PM

i was actually hoping he would announce that he was signing an executive order to immediately close the borders and to open up ANWAR and the coasts of Florida and California to drilling. I can dream, can’t I??

pullingmyhairout on September 6, 2006 at 2:11 PM

That was it..the guys in custody just got a Caribbean vacation in Cuba. It is a done deal..and they are in custody of the DOD..”Rummy got a gun” (sorry, that Aerosmith song just popped into my head)

labwrs on September 6, 2006 at 2:11 PM

IQTT.

Slublog on September 6, 2006 at 2:13 PM

*sigh*

The world has gone mad.

Stock up on fabric for your Burqas, while Walmart is still allowed to exist!

NTWR on September 6, 2006 at 2:20 PM

This was the big speech no one could miss?

…a little to do about absolutely little…

Entelechy on September 6, 2006 at 2:20 PM

This was the big speech no one could miss?

We’re coming into the final phase of Bush’s tenure. Now is the time to begin to institutionalize the revolution. He radically altered America’s foriegn policy vis-a-vis terror. Not a criminal matter, but an act of war. No trials before American juries, but military tribunals. It affords our enemies more than they deserve, but it has the benefit of legal formality and institutionalization. This way whoever comes after Bush can’t just throw in the towel. Thw GWOT takes on a policy and beauraucratic momentum all it’s own.

The Apologist on September 6, 2006 at 2:26 PM

OK, I’m going to go right-wing-neocon-chickenhawk for a minute here, but;

C’mon people! We’re at WAR!!!
If we’ve garnered all the information we can get from them, no, don’t give them a new name and put them in witness protection… shoot them in the head on live tv and throw them in an effing ditch! We need to give them a reason NOT to plan to murder our civillians in cold blood!
We used to shoot deserters in our military. WTF has happened to this country? Appeasement, negotioations, it’s all BS to them. Nothing will get through to them but display of power.

We’ve got a bunch of eunich piece of shit a-holes running this country into the seventh century and we need some damn balls to win this fight. Don’t tell me the girls are going to have to do it! Is Hitlary going to be the one who can actually crack down the way we need to? AAAHHHRRGGGHHHH!!!!

OK. Vent over. *ducking and running to lunch*

NTWR on September 6, 2006 at 2:30 PM

A good question was just asked on FOX: where were these guys being held prior to Gitmo? I dont really want this info to get out there, the Euroweenies will go ballistic!
I am glad we have Gitmo. I wish we wouldnt keep trying to fight a war on the “nice”.
Hit them, hit them hard and hit them often!
This is also the SECOND speech in a series..I think there are more things to come and perhaps more substance. Look at this speech as #2 in the Triolgy. (Matrix, Lord of the Rings, etc..the second one was the set up prior to the BIG ENDING)
I hope.

labwrs on September 6, 2006 at 2:35 PM

The BigBrother House!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on September 6, 2006 at 2:50 PM

Gee, he did interrupt “Days of our Lives” for that.

vcferlita on September 6, 2006 at 2:52 PM

Governor Mitt Romney today ordered all Massachusetts state government agencies to decline support, if asked, for former Iranian President Mohammed Khatami’s September 10 visit to the Boston area, where he is scheduled to speak at Harvard University….

Atlas Shrugs on September 6, 2006 at 3:25 PM

I can’t wait for one of the 4 Lefties to zoom in here, claiming that Bush is too weak on terrorism and compromises too much; shows too much nuance and follows the Geneva conventions for hard-core terrorists.

Ah, what a stupid world we live in! But it’s nuanced all right…However, we haven’t heard from Karl Rove yet…

Entelechy on September 6, 2006 at 3:48 PM

can’t wait for one of the 4 Lefties to zoom in here

Give it time.

Rick on September 6, 2006 at 4:01 PM

Well, now that my blood sugar is restabilized, Bush is making the best out of a crappy situation.

The ACLU and rotten lawyers have somehow managed to take over the running of the war on terror, and at least he’s calling them out on it.

Voting Dem will NOT help the situation. I’m liking Mitt Romney more and more these days.

NTWR on September 6, 2006 at 4:05 PM

I thought GWB did pretty well today. His description of how plots were unraveled was interesting. The Left will still ignore it. Anyway, since this was one of a series of pre-election speeches, I would speculate on one communications-driven reason why the WH asked for time on the networks today during afternoon soap operas with two words: “security moms”. Just a thought.

CP on September 6, 2006 at 4:23 PM

Heard him talking about this to Jed Babbin on Laura Ingraham’s show during the drive into work this morning … Romney just gained bigtime points with me.

Here’s hoping said procedures were performed by a real-life clone of Jack Bauer.

thirteen28 on September 6, 2006 at 4:24 PM

You really get a sense of how pissed off Bush is to even have to deal with this crap during a time of war in the speech. He was seething. Good. So am I.

NTWR on September 6, 2006 at 4:44 PM

He was seething.

The problem is (and will continue to be) that the left is seething everytime they see Bush. They don’t get it. They see the threat as being the Bush administration more so than the Islamo-Nazis. It’s plain old BDS.

Rick on September 6, 2006 at 5:04 PM

Sorry, I don’t believe anything this criminal has to say.

duffyb on September 6, 2006 at 5:15 PM

The simpering way that he whines his message home, dancing on egg shells, still hoping that the Dems will like him, is really starting to piss me off. IT IS TIME TO CHALLENGE THE PATRIOTISM OF PEOPLE WHO RESIST EVERY EFFORT TO SECURE THIS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soothsayer on September 6, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Golly Ned, give the guy a break!! (Me defending Bush, watch out for flying pigs). Sometimes you have to look at realpolitik, play the hand you’re dealt, realize half a loaf is better than none and many other lame cliches I’m sure are equally insightful. He’s not a dictator, he’s got opposition growing in his own party and I am guessing wanted to push this forward in a way that caused the least harm to how he wants to conduct the WOT.

I understand Soothsayer’s comment (don’t agree at all but understand) but realistically Bush no longer has the political clout to stare down the opposition as in:

honora on September 6, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Sorry, I don’t believe anything this criminal has to say.

duffyb on September 6, 2006 at 5:15 PM

Nobody cares what you believe! Not even you, unless you’re insane from some derangement syndrome, and then you can’t be helped anyway.

Entelechy on September 6, 2006 at 5:52 PM

Sorry, I don’t believe anything this criminal has to say.

Allah, when did you let Better off Blue back in?

Rick on September 6, 2006 at 6:08 PM

unless you’re insane from some derangement syndrome

BDS – very common nowadays. It’s been manifesting itself moreso in the coastal regions of this country.

Rick on September 6, 2006 at 6:22 PM

I have to say I think Allah and many others are way off base on this speech.

I thought it was very powerful and long over due. The narrative flow of the speech building from 9/11 to the initial captures to how that information was used to out and capture more terrorists, to prevent attacks and to reveal heretofor unknown initiatives like al Qaeda’s WMD program. By the time he got to mention moving the 14 top terrorists to Gitmo it became clear that the Dems were totally screwed on many of their favorite talking points.

What is especially great about the announcements today is that he is dumping the entire thing into Congress’ lap so Dems can spend the next 8 weeks having to vote for Bush’s legislation or explain how they want “rights” for the guys responsible for 9/11, Cole and the East Africa bombings.

I, for one, am going to enjoy watching that.

rcox1963 on September 6, 2006 at 6:47 PM

It looked to me as if the President threw the gauntlet down on Congress as he has put them into a situation where they either have to deal with this War issue NOW, or be ready to be called on it. Let the liberals try to block this needed legislation now as that will highlite just how terribly incapable they are.

He also blasted the Supreme Court for getting it wrong on the Hamdan ruling. Sweet!

Bloggers live, and breath this stuff as liberals try to hide, then pretend these are not real issues [BDS], but I am glad that Bush has spoken up, I hope he keeps up the good work as average Americans need to hear from him more often, and I eagerly await the frothings of the Regressives.

DannoJyd on September 6, 2006 at 10:22 PM

The White House has issued the following e-mail titled “Setting the Record Straight:”

*The President’s Legislation Specifically Authorizes The Creation Of Military Commissions To Try These Suspected Terrorists For War Crimes. The Bill ensures that these commissions are established in a way that protects our national security and ensures a full and fair trial for the accused.

* Detainees Have Been Transferred To The Custody Of The Department Of Defense, At The U.S. Naval Base At Guantanamo Bay.

* Neither The President’s Proposed Legislation Nor The Detainees’ Transfer To Guantanamo Gives The Detainees POW Status.

Entelechy on September 6, 2006 at 10:58 PM

I’m sure that is arguable.

DannoJyd on September 6, 2006 at 11:41 PM

Bush is boring. I like Ahmadinejad better. He’s a lot more colorful and swaggering than some old Texas cowboy.

Kralizec on September 7, 2006 at 4:39 AM

DannoJyd on September 6, 2006 at 10:22 PM

I’m not sure who you mean by “liberals”; seems to be a very inclusive term in these parts, but the 3 Senators who have issues with this are McCain, Graham and Warner.

honora on September 7, 2006 at 8:33 AM

McCain, Graham and Warner

The usual suspects.

Rick on September 7, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Like he said, liberals.

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 11:41 AM

Like he said, liberals.

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 11:41 AM

What’s that noise? Sounds kinda like a big tent shrinking….

honora on September 7, 2006 at 11:52 AM

What’s that noise? Sounds kinda like a big tent shrinking….

Speaking of big tents, how’s your party doing with its big tent these days?

(“it’s shrinking” shouted Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman from somewhere out in the wilderness)

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 12:00 PM

And seriously tilting to the left – I don’t think they let people in the other side of that tent – you only get one warning.

Rick on September 7, 2006 at 12:06 PM

Speaking of big tents, how’s your party doing with its big tent these days?

(”it’s shrinking” shouted Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman from somewhere out in the wilderness)

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 12:00 PM

touche!! Though for myself, you all are welcome to Zell (it’s a lovely day for a duel..) Miller!

honora on September 7, 2006 at 12:07 PM

And yet on the other thread you still want to argue that the Dems are not weak on national security after purging your party of the last two Scoop Jackson democrats …

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 12:10 PM

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 12:10 PM

For one crazy, reckless minute there I thought I had uncovered the hint of humor on this blog. What was I thinking?

honora on September 7, 2006 at 12:26 PM

There’s plenty of humor on this blog … not necessarily from me, but it’s here. If you can’t even find a hint of it … either you’re not looking very hard or maybe it just doesn’t appeal to your political sensibilities.

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 12:38 PM

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 12:38 PM

I think it’s more a case of being allergic to pedantry.

honora on September 7, 2006 at 12:48 PM

I think it’s more a case of being allergic to pedantry.

Maybe so, since you are so obviously much, much, much more sophisticated than us mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, snot-dripping troglodytes that post from the right and thus cannot stoop down to our base level here.

Keep patting yourself on the back.

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Keep patting yourself on the back.

thirteen28 on September 7, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Nobody ever saie you dragged your knuckles. Necessarily.

honora on September 7, 2006 at 1:30 PM

Kralizec on September 7, 2006 at 4:39 AM

I didn’t write this comment, and I hope WordPress’s software has improved by now, to the point that it’s no longer possible for any mere fvckwad to abuse my nom de guerre.

Kralizec on May 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM