Quote of the day

posted at 1:03 pm on September 5, 2006 by Allahpundit

“I have long wondered whether Cheney and Rumsfeld ever believed that their job was to build a new democracy in Iraq. Rumsfeld had dealt with and supported Saddam in the past; Cheney was extremely suspicious of occupying Iraq in 1990. One subversive theory – which I’m not endorsing, just airing – is that both merely wanted to turn the Saddam regime to rubble, and then play along with neocon democracy supporters, while making sure that the military was never given enough resources to do nation-building. Then Cheney and Rumsfeld could prove their point about the impossibility of reforming the Muslim world, and promote the view that we need merely to pummel enemies, project military fear across the region, and deter Islamo-fascism by “shock and awe.” The Likud strategy, in other words.” – Noam Chomsky Dylan Avery Michael Moore Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Andrew Sullivan, blogger, Time magazine.

Really, Sully, you’re in no position to play games like this. It wasn’t Malkin, after all, who said of the academic left, “they have almost no substantive contribution to make to American society.”

And while I have your attention, my colleague Mr. Goldstein has responded to your request for an apology.

Update: No, it’s not an isolated incident.

Update: Which is not to say that Sully’s point about the academic left isn’t largely true.

Comments

…which I’m not endorsing, just airing…

And the descent into parody continues.

Slublog on September 5, 2006 at 1:14 PM

Malkin has always sounded a lot like a Iranian hard-liner, and I’m glad someone had the courage to finally call her on it. When Malkin finally calls for the elimination of all Jews, now no one will be surprised.

frankj on September 5, 2006 at 1:18 PM

The conservatives are sometimes so dumb that I could ‘fist’ them. However, what they have going for them is the unimaginable quest of cretin lefties to constantly outdo each other.

If this continues, most states/districts will be painted red in the next major elections and the blue specs will be far in between. And they will blame the Christian fundamentalists, you watch…

Entelechy on September 5, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Sullivan needs a Gilbert, if he’s going to weave such fantastical tales.
Someone such as Sullivan, always willing to believe the worst of our own government, while excusing the worst excesses of those who oppose our efforts, truly do ‘Hate America First’.
Allahpundit, I agree with your list of ‘who said it first’. I think you missed Ramsay Clark.

Doug on September 5, 2006 at 2:05 PM

frankj on

The fact that Malkin and Iranian Mullahs stand behind their ideals may make them “hard-liners”… but that is about all they have in common. If these is a hard-line stance, then what about all the opposition left-liberal-leaning people standing behind their ideals?

Are liberals who stand behind their ideals not also “hard-liners”?

What we need to do is stop morally equivocating between disparate ideologies and cultures. Or what we need to really do is stop cherry picking which hardline stances we do or do not try to morally equivocate.

What we are doing is trying to view Middle Eastern culture through the filter of Western Culture. Trying to fix Middle Eastern problems using Western tools. We can try, right up to the time they lop off our heads with their own Middle Eastern tools.

They want to “kill” us. Not negotiate with us. If defending against someone trying to kill me and my family is a “hardline” stance, when the only option that works is killing them first, then I’m also a hardliner.

Lawrence on September 5, 2006 at 2:28 PM

frank’s kidding, Lawrence. Geez.

Allahpundit on September 5, 2006 at 2:32 PM

…which I’m not endorsing, just airing…

And the descent into parody continues.

Slublog on September 5, 2006 at 1:14 PM

Because we’ve never heard that before.

THeDRiFTeR on September 5, 2006 at 3:07 PM

Pardon?

Slublog on September 5, 2006 at 3:21 PM

If Bush wants Iraqi democracy to fail, and the Subversive Theorist dislikes Bush (and wants him to fail; which we guess), then surely our theorist is doing his damndest to ensure that Iraqi democracy works out?

kate q on September 5, 2006 at 4:55 PM

I’m not endoring just airing

Kinda reminds me of:

I’m not just the president, I’m also a member.
Yes. I smoked weed, but I never actually inhaled.

and of course

“they just don’t get the nuance”

One Angry Christian on September 5, 2006 at 8:56 PM