Video: Maher mocks kidnapped Fox News journos, suggests converting to Islam

posted at 9:42 pm on September 2, 2006 by Ian

Bill Maher poked fun at kidnapped reporters Steve Centanni and Olaf Wiig on last night’s edition of Real Time, saying he did not know FOX News had journalists.

Maher finished up the show taking an idea from the jihadists who held Centanni and Wiig captive, suggesting Americans convert to Islam to appease the terrorists. Maher added we wouldn’t be real Muslims, just like Americans aren’t real Christians. Mary Frances Berry, a Carter nominee, along with the audience, thought Maher’s jokes were outrageously funny.

Comments

At what point did Bill Maher ever think that he was funny? It was amazing that the one time he made a Hillary joke, he was met with boos and disapproval. If “we are all Americans and nothing can change that”, then why is the Left trying so hard to do just that? I hope that Bill Maher really believes that this is more important than taking hair gel onto an airplane.

DAT60A3 on September 2, 2006 at 9:57 PM

That HOT AIR logo with the flame behind is way cool.

speed647 on September 2, 2006 at 10:25 PM

And he also made a point about his audience not being able to take it the other way.

Interesting.

But not the rest of it.

David Block on September 2, 2006 at 10:42 PM

Well, at least he’s recognizing the terms of what we’re being offered…sort of.

Pablo on September 2, 2006 at 10:58 PM

Thanks, Bill for the moral equivalency:
Muslims=Christians.

So what changes?

Except that Bill “Al-shake-your-booty” forget that his submission to Islam means the end of his comedy career. End of freedom of speech, and Muslims really lack humor anyway.

Considering his pocketbook might lead him to decline such an invitation, even if hair gel is allowed!

elpresidente on September 2, 2006 at 11:02 PM

I’m sure someone before me had this thought: “Bill, what if it were you who had been kidnapped?” Craping your Lib pants, sniveling in a dark and dank garage as Centani and Olif were, VERY concerned about having your worthless head lopped off.

It has become so evident that since the epidemic loss in 04′ to a schmuck your party offered you and the whole Lefty community have gone completely unhinged. No plans have been offered as to how to help this country and world situations to move forward. No respect for the office of the Presidentcy. No respect period. Not even for those in your party that you can not control ala Mr. Lieberman.

Its been the same hum-drum whining and complaining and constant character attacks on anyone that can bring good to this country.

Bill Mahr, you are consumed with yourself. Like any LIB, Hollyweird perp. You have no credibility whatsoever and I never watched you anyway. Only on outakes like this that show you making the asshole out of yourself that you and your whole ilk are like. You (they) have no right nor the ability to ever have any kind of power postion in the governing of this country.

When 06′ comes and goes, just like Plamegate, you will be a plame-out. “Even when a fool goes walking, he has no sense and shows everyone else that he’s a fool.” Ecc 10:3

auspatriotman on September 2, 2006 at 11:34 PM

Maher is a disgusting moron.

rplat on September 2, 2006 at 11:45 PM

I hope he keeps believing that Islam and Christianity are the same.

I hope he keeps thinking that being sacreligious about Islam is the same as being sacreligious about Christianity.

I hope Salmon Rushdie doesn’t have a spare room for him.

B Moe on September 3, 2006 at 12:22 AM

Maher is an amazing example of arrogance and ignorance simultaneously.

Mallard T. Drake on September 3, 2006 at 12:38 AM

Absolute moron. It sucks there’s not some way we could just deport people this stupid. But then, where to? France?

Gregor on September 3, 2006 at 1:12 AM

Maher is a disgusting moron.

Saying that does injustice to all those disgusting morons out there.

This man is lower than whale dung. I wish he’d just go away.

Corky on September 3, 2006 at 2:13 AM

Maher-what a joke. I actualy saw that clown on a repeat of “Murder She Wrote” not that long ago. I guess his “big break” hadn’t come yet so he showed up on that, which I guess in retrospect was a really popular show however many years ago. Guess he was hoping his break would happen via that. It’s sometimes hard to believe that Maher and his audience are really that stupid but then again. . .

Catie96706 on September 3, 2006 at 2:16 AM

What else can he do.

He’s not funny.

I used to like P-INcorrect, but now I’m just annoyed.
With Bill that is, I still like being Incorrect.

Kini on September 3, 2006 at 2:34 AM

God help us if these people get back into power! The more I watch these idiots talk about how bad the other side has screwed things up, and how we should “convert” to Islam is not only sick, but a road I do not ever want to walk down. I say it is time to take the gloves off and really let these fanatics know how far we are willing to go.

During World War II the Japanese were willing to die while killing us, and yet not holding back our superior power to take them down has created a thriving and peaceful people. So do not buy into this notion that we are only currently being subjected to suicidal killers from our enemies. We beat Kamakazi pilots, why can we not beat these crazed Islamic loons?

jasoneverts on September 3, 2006 at 3:50 AM

Bill understands the basic, high profile formula for success: You don’t have to be especially clever, talented or funny, as long as you’re controversial.

He’s outside of the debate, baby. A Citizen of the World. The ultimate capitalist. Kinda like Ann Coulter, Mike Moore, and Madonna.

Wannabes like Joel Stein and Keith Olberman just can’t hang with the big dogs, and it must eat them up at night.

Kadnine on September 3, 2006 at 6:02 AM

I almost wish that the terrorists would take Maher captive.
He wouldn’t think they were so funny then. Stupid man.

Ellen on September 3, 2006 at 6:12 AM

I just wish the Fox jounalists would recant….to this point I havn’t seen that happen. Maybe they did convert to this Satanic ideology called Islam.

LZVandy on September 3, 2006 at 7:31 AM

If the Fox journalists did recant they, and tueir families would become targets of the Islamofacists immediately. I don’t know that I can blame them when considering just how many terrorists-in-waiting live inside of the U.S. today.

BTW, if anyone would like HBO to know how they feel about this Maher incident you can contact them here.

DannoJyd on September 3, 2006 at 7:40 AM

Satanic ideology called Islam.

Hm… declaring that religious views you don’t espouse are of Satan. Where have I heard that before? Oh right, from Islamic terrorists.

Sorry, that shtick doesn’t work for me. I grew up in a conservative Catholic household. I was told Disney was Satanic, so I’m rather numb to the charge by now.

Mark Jaquith on September 3, 2006 at 9:26 AM

Not to act like a lib and resort to personal attacks but, would someone please inform Mr. Maher that he’s beyond the need for hair gel.

Jeff on September 3, 2006 at 9:57 AM

Economy, Ian, economy. It seems an overtly large amount of html to squander on this “Loyal American”.

james hooker on September 3, 2006 at 10:46 AM

LZVandy on September 3, 2006 at 11:03 AM

Mark Jaquth

Any religion that advocates murder, mayhem, torture, forced conversion, intolerannce…………is Satanic.
I know of no othe religion that does this……….
Of course Islam is not a religionn but a form of government, a
political idoeology…………..which should be outlawed.

LZVandy on September 3, 2006 at 11:06 AM

And by the way, until the Fox jounalist do recat……I want their muslim faces off my TV.

LZVandy on September 3, 2006 at 11:09 AM

As usual the Christians have to get bashed in order for this self-serving hollyweird lib to gat any laughs. Nice to see an atheist can convert to some sort of religion, yet the coward gives up to the enemy with the violent tendencies. And once again hollyweird proves to the world that they only care about themselves. The most important thing to them is being able to get their hairgel on the planes. Hey Billy Boy, a tube of that stuff must last you a looooooooooong time.

Long Island Pete on September 3, 2006 at 11:31 AM

I’m sure he’ll be laughing when the machetti is at his neck rather than some “conservative news agency’s” reporters throat.

It’s amazing how differently these idiots act when it’s their life on the line.

One Angry Christian on September 3, 2006 at 11:38 AM

Ah, the man John Stewart strives to be…. The audience cheers both on this show and the Daily Show are what really disturbs me… I just want to slap the sh** out of these people, I wish I knew who they were.

By the way, I was at least glad to hear someone on their side point out what a phony Hillary is… But the anger out of the audience was quite telling. They’re excited about the bs comparison of Christianity to Islam, but pissed about the obvious statement of fact about what a panderer Hillary is? Remember folks, these people have the ability to cancel out your votes.

RightWinged on September 3, 2006 at 1:03 PM

Dychotomous or illogical thought process for such a ‘smart’ guy – when your head is wrapped in a dish towel, there’s no need for hair gel any more…

Entelechy on September 3, 2006 at 1:32 PM

Why abduct us? – we cede our values for free - the wonderful Mr. Steyn

Entelechy on September 3, 2006 at 1:52 PM

We are in World War IV. (World War III was the Cold War, which we won.) Does everyone believe this? One has only to watch this nauseating “comedy routine” for the answer. One can also assume that more Dems than not basically agree with the sentiments Maher expresses here. He had an appreciative audience ofr all of his banal “jokes” except for the one mildly critical of PIAPS.

ptolemy on September 3, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Maher – the same guy that believes America ought to take lessons from the French on how to live our lives. France – the same country that surrenders to any invader, and makes them feel at home. In other words, Bill is asking us to convert to Islam and let the enemy come in and take over our country. Why didn’t we just think of that before? Isn’t that what Adam Gadahn is asking as well? http://hotair.com/archives/2006/09/02/video-al-qaeda-tells-us-to-convert-or-die/

Rick on September 3, 2006 at 3:28 PM

Ian, glad you snagged this clip while it was still airing. I saw the last couple of minutes of the show Friday night and thought everyone I know needed to see this. To me it represents something new and disturbing, something I don’t believe I’ve seen before, in the guise of humor:

“We’re a nation enthralled to religous fanatics anyway… does it really matter which fanatics we’re enthralled to? They’re both full of moral pieties and codes of conduct nobody follows anyway. So let’s pick the one that lets us take hair gel on the plane! Because no matter what happens, we’ll always be Americans… nothing can ever change that!”

Maher articulates the case for “fake” conversion so breezily it makes me think he doesn’t realize that’s exactly how some of the very first converts were won to Islam; that’s how many societies over the centuries first started down the road to darkness; and that’s exactly how we’re going to end up if we don’t soon realize there are no “fake” conversions to Islam, that the death penalty is strictly enforced, and we mock it at our own peril.

This all from a man – one of the few on the left – who, right after 9/11, actually understood and articulated the idea that cultural relativism is wrong, that some cultures *are* better than others, that our society *is* better than one that ritualizes murder of innocents and mutilation of women, and that we are justified in fighting to preserve our way of life. (Yes, I’m giving him some credit here; clearly all this was said before BDS took over his comedic mind.)

Is it possible he wasn’t being completely serious?

RD on September 3, 2006 at 4:34 PM

[RD] …that the death penalty is strictly enforced…

Sorry – I meant to say the death penalty for apostasy.

RD on September 3, 2006 at 4:37 PM

Just read your excellent link Entelechy – Steyn’s definitely got a point there ;-)

RD on September 3, 2006 at 5:11 PM

Whether you thought it was funny or not, it’s a comedy act. Do you really believe that he was “suggesting” we convert to Islam? And it sounded more to me like he was “mocking” Fox News. Not exactly a moving target for comedians. Lighten up!

THeDRiFTeR on September 3, 2006 at 6:09 PM

I despise him, I really despise him.

doingwhatican on September 3, 2006 at 6:54 PM

What a sick little man.

Rose on September 3, 2006 at 8:41 PM

What a douche.

violet on September 3, 2006 at 11:59 PM

It is a known fact that those who are the most boastful are the first to cave when push comes to shove.

I put Maher in that category. He would convert so fast to save his own sorry butt that scientists would be unable to measure it.

pocomoco on September 4, 2006 at 12:40 AM

As someone a little older than some of you, I remember Mahar back when he started in standup. His entire act back then was about being half/Christian half/Jewish. No conflict there-I wonder where it came from?
Mahar feasted on the liberal banquet laid out on Comedy Central and then ABC with his show Politically Incorrect. Success made him think he was right, and he’s so far gone down the Franken/Moore Tunnel that nothing will ever change that. so the best we can do is keep electing Conservatives just to drive him nuts. And keep Liberals out of power. Not because Republicans are greedy; they just want there to be a Country left to govern.

Doug on September 4, 2006 at 9:51 AM

He is incredibly stupid. I knew he was going to piss me off, but I watched anyway, just to hear how far he would go. He is beyond pathetic.

CrimsonFisted on September 4, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Bill Maher is an exammple of what happens when the fetuses don’t get enough oxygen before birth.

MsUnderestimated on September 6, 2006 at 12:22 AM