Video: Top 10 Kyra Phillips excuses

posted at 12:20 am on September 1, 2006 by Allahpundit

The traffic fairy turned up on Letterman tonight to poke fun at her Frank Drebin moment. She’s a cutie, but the delivery needs a little work.

Comments

She’s a good sport.

mikeyboss on September 1, 2006 at 12:28 AM

And then O&A were on and they killed. Well, Anthony killed.

Jim Treacher on September 1, 2006 at 12:36 AM

The reason her mic goof is funny to me is because it is human.
I’ve been caught talking when I shouldn’t; we all have made mistakes and been embarrassed. I’m glad she is being a good sport about it, and I hope her sister-in-law is forgiving her.

Doug on September 1, 2006 at 1:11 AM

Doug, I was thinking the same thing. We’ve all done it but we were fortunate enough that the whole world didn’t hear it replayed over and over again.

Catie96706 on September 1, 2006 at 1:25 AM

Point of order on #4

She was on national television? I thought she was on CNN?

MacStansbury on September 1, 2006 at 2:13 AM

Well played MacStansbury, well played. Though, she was on international interweb with the infinite replays, so that makes up for it I think.

The Apologist on September 1, 2006 at 4:31 AM

Yes, lack of exposure has not been an issue.

She’s adorable, btw.

Pablo on September 1, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Nice CYA! But where’s the apology?????? Don’t hold your breath!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on September 1, 2006 at 8:38 AM

Pretty funny. I agree she’s being a good sport. I think she owes more of an apology to her in-laws than to the few viewers who were actually watching. I think CNN got more coverage via this incident and the blogs than they do in their actual viewership.

vcferlita on September 1, 2006 at 9:05 AM

Nice CYA! But where’s the apology??????

Eh, Dread – don’t be so cynical.

That was cute and pretty funny, actually. Can you only imagine what Christmas dinner is going to be like around her house?? She needs to buy her sister-in-law some SERIOUS bling. That would be a good enough apology in my book.

pullingmyhairout on September 1, 2006 at 9:23 AM

Any apology really needs to come from the control room. There’s no way they should have let that happen. And maybe, just maybe, she did her brother a great big favor in the process. As pissed as the SIL must be, she’s got to be spending a few thoughts considering whether Kyra was right.

Pablo on September 1, 2006 at 9:37 AM

I thought her delivery was fine. Much better than the people who guest host SNL. And they’re actors!

It’s nice to see that she is down-home enough to be able to poke fun at heself. Although I would love to be a fly on the wall at Thanksgiving dinner. :)

Rick P on September 1, 2006 at 9:50 AM

Why is it that the President or the Vice President is on screen when CNN has a technical glitch?

Long Island Pete on September 1, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Pablo,

Any apology really needs to come from the control room.

Don’t keep making fun of the sister-in-law.

Seriously, if Kyra thinks her SIL is a control freak, the SIL probably knows this already. That’s true in families I know. On the other hand, most control freaks aren’t identified as such on “national television.”

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 1, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Don’t keep making fun of the sister-in-law.

Huh?

Pablo on September 1, 2006 at 10:26 AM

At least this one is pretty clear it was just a screw up, not the the giant black X across Cheney’s face incident. As we’ve all embarrassed ourselves I’ll share one of mine. About ten years ago I was in St Joseph, MO. My team was there for a school for C-130 crews. We were just there to support the flare drops. My team mate and I had been gambling most of the night on the riverboats. We hadn’t planned on going to the base the next day because they weren’t dropping any flares that day. Anyway they called us in. It turns out that the class was the 50th to have gone through the school. So here we are in this huge auditorium with about 600 people. I was in dire straights, very hungover with only 3 hours of sleep. I was doing my best to stay awake. The next thing I know somebody slapped my in the back of the head, hard! I looked up and noticed that every single person in the room, including the 3 star general on the stage was staring at me. I had fallen asleep and was snoring very loud…

Bomb Doctor on September 1, 2006 at 10:28 AM

Notice Dave’s enthusiastic response to #5 about the “bastards at Fox News.” His “yeah, yeah, yes, yes!” was a revealing little “tell.”

Mallard T. Drake on September 1, 2006 at 11:58 AM

Pablo, it was a dumb joke. Control room. Control freak.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on September 1, 2006 at 12:12 PM

Did anyone notice #5 got the biggest applause. But of course this is New York.

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 1, 2006 at 1:01 PM

I thought #5 was delivered the best – it is so true in CNN’s mind that she had no challenge with it.

#1 should have been “after repeated attempts I really wanted my SIL to get the message”.

Entelechy on September 1, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Kyra Phillips is waaaaaaaay hotter than Kirsten Powers. Better on screen charmisa too!

darwin on September 1, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Jaibones on September 1, 2006 at 1:51 PM

1. Let he who HASN’T riffed on the relatives in private throw the first stone.

2. No matter what the deal was, the boys in the control room should have been a little more on top of things. A real top staff would have had her mike in “cue” the moment she went off the set.

3. Looking for other adjectives, but adorable pretty much sums her up.

52Ranger on September 1, 2006 at 2:47 PM

#11
Better me than Jack Cafferty after some prune juice.

RobCon on September 1, 2006 at 2:48 PM

Jaibones: “Darwin, your self-preservation instinct got in the way of your Johnson. Kirsten Powers, despite her Moonbatness, is hotter. A.Lot.Hotter.”

To each his own ….. but Kyra Phillips is waaaaaaay funnier and got on Letterman!

darwin on September 1, 2006 at 3:21 PM

PMHO, Entelechy, us gals know where the real damage lies!!! HA! Exactly what I thought. It will be a VERY tense holiday season for her!

NTWR on September 1, 2006 at 5:03 PM

They’re going to Tahiti for the holidays this year :)

Entelechy on September 1, 2006 at 5:24 PM