It begins: KP responds to my post about Rumsfeld

posted at 8:26 pm on September 1, 2006 by Allahpundit

This is how you do it, boys. A little charm, a little linkage, a little low-intensity flaming, and pretty soon — she’ll notice. It’s like pulling the pigtail of the cute girl sitting in front of you in first grade. Or “Woman of the Year,” except with blogs instead of a newspaper and we never actually meet.

She’s so not getting an invite to Russ Feingold’s inauguration:

The reality is that Rumsfeld got a lot alot [sic] of it right in this speech — something you frankly will not hear me say very often, since he too frequently offers analysis (no insurgency, war will last six months etc.) that is questionable at best — but he goes too far with the appeasement argument, which has become a staple of Sean Hannity in recent weeks. I believe there is a war on terror; I believe it’s the greatest threat of our time; I believe it’s akin to Nazism. And I believe the threat is grossly underestimated by many people.

Hot.

But then she kills the mood:

But I would be hard pressed to come up with a list of names of elected officials or opinion leaders who are “appeasers.” That’s a pretty serious accusation.

A few things here. First, unless I missed something, Rumsfeld never attributed that view to pundits and politicians. He said it was held “in some quarters,” which admittedly is vague and weaselly but no more so than KP’s own acknowledgment that the jihadi threat has been minimized by “many people.”

Second, no politician or pundit is going to come out publicly in favor of appeasement, no matter how fervently they might believe in its effectiveness. The stigma is too bright and the hint of cowardice too rancid for anyone to emulate the Chamberlain approach, which is precisely why nutroots messiah Keith Olbermann made the analogy he made the other night. We’re left to infer people’s tendencies towards appeasement from their public statements on other subjects, a good example being Kerry’s reference in one of the debates in ’04 to “passing the global test” before going to war. If he was willing to subject American military power to some sort of international veto in the interests of “peace,” many of us figured, what else would he be willing to compromise on?

There were other hints about him, too, but we’re in no position to throw stones anymore, alas.

I’ll admit, though, that “appeasement” was a poor choice of words to describe what I think Rumsfeld meant. For one thing, there aren’t a lot of concessions we could make that would do the trick even if we wanted to. The only real options are to convert, cede whatever land they ask for, or confront them directly. As Steyn likes to say quote, “We are not fighting so that you will offer us something. We are fighting to eliminate you.” Nice and simple. What I think Rumsfeld was aiming at was what KP herself said about people who misunderstand or willfully blind themselves to the danger. Buckley and Will and Novak believe Iraq was a mistake, but neither Don Rumsfeld, I suspect, nor most other conservatives would call them appeasers for wanting to leave — not because they’re right-wing but because we know they take the threat seriously. We’re on the same page, just not the same paragraph. What page is this guy on, though? Is he even reading the same book?

I’ll grant, then, that without some proposal of concessions, “appeasement” doesn’t adequately describe the fast-becoming-mainstream fringe left’s ignorance about Islamic fundamentalism and mania to withdraw from Iraq immediately, whatever the consequences. We’ll leave that term for countries that retreat in direct response to terror attacks. Or for ex-presidents who lend their prestige to the notion that fundamentalists can be placated through “dialogue.”

I hope KP will at least concede, though, that they show some troubling tendencies.

I think she will. She ain’t a Lieberman supporter for nothing.

Exit link/exit question. Link: Dems rally to battle the real enemy. And question: which liberal will the boss end up debating on O’Reilly once Powers finally crosses over to the dark side?

Update: Speaking of appeasement, here’s some good news for Hezbollah. If they ever get tired of having them there, they know exactly how to get rid of them.

Update: Right on cue, some douchebag who periodically spams me with left-wing links sends along today’s BuzzFlash editorial comparing Bush, Rumsfeld, and the rest of the gang to Hermann Goering. Bonus points for working in the beaten-to-death quote about denouncing pacifism as a way of getting the people to do your bidding, as though there could be no other reason ever to do so. Vote Lamont!

Comments

Outstanding. Sounds like a something that could be the start of something magical.

…[but] we never actually meet.

Eh. Keep teasing and enticing, and maybe who knows. A KP business trip up to NY could have some extra time for a little face to face.

Damn. I’m living vicariously through this little blog flirting/romance. Either my life is more pathetic than I realized, or your writting style is pretty dang good.

Anyway, good luck and don’t forget the KP Hotness Quotient. I kinda liked that thing. Especially the pics that went along with it.

EFG on September 1, 2006 at 8:40 PM

She’s falling right into your trap. Muah-ha-ha.

Jim Treacher on September 1, 2006 at 8:45 PM

While I give KP some credit here, I’m almost reluctant to, because it’s not that she (or Beckel for that matter) did anything amazing by not walking the party line here… they are simply not insane like the rest of the party seems to increasingly be. I mean, a couple decades ago, they’d probably just sound like regular Democrats. Now they simply because they show a little reason, the left treats them like traitors and we think they’re moving towards “our side”. But really they’re just more Democrats of old, and can’t quite get down with the lunacy of the modern Democratic party. Again, they’re do credit for having the balls to do it… but I just wanted to make the observation that they aren’t really “doing” all that much, it just seems like it in today’s climate.

RightWinged on September 1, 2006 at 8:53 PM

by the weay AP, I’m sure KP loves that you get to show that blooper still everytime you post about her.

RightWinged on September 1, 2006 at 8:54 PM

I’m sure she also loves his helpful public correction of her grammer errors as well.

The reality is that Rumsfeld got a lot alot [sic] of it right in this speech —

Eh, I guess it is just his way of showing her that he is a man of letters and education, and not someone who can be easily flim-flamed with wordy prose or what not.

EFG on September 1, 2006 at 9:01 PM

I don’t think she’s seen it. She’s probably just following referrals directly back to the post.

I think it’s a cute photo, too. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Allahpundit on September 1, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Anyone that thinks that Jihad is being performed by an “isolated group” of Muslims is on serious drugs.

Sorry, but that’s just the way it is.

VonHelton on September 1, 2006 at 9:42 PM

Allah… if you really want to complete KP’s transition to the dark side of the force, then you should consider giving her an NRO-style nickname. How does “K-Pow” grab ya?

Watcher on September 1, 2006 at 9:48 PM

Explain this dichotomy:

She’s obviously so hot, but she has a link to Daily Kos on her blog…

Kinda like biting into a rotten apple. Tastes good at first, but….

speed647 on September 1, 2006 at 10:22 PM

Explain this dichotomy:

She’s obviously so hot, but she has a link to Daily Kos on her blog…

Uh, she’s just keeping a wary eye on the nutroots?

Sorry AP. That’s the best defenseI could come up with.

Seriously though, putting aside the link to KOS, which really is just a link, she seems to be a pretty normal person. Left leaning, but not crazy insane.

EFG on September 1, 2006 at 10:26 PM

I 100% agree with you Allah…Hot.

StoutRepublican on September 1, 2006 at 10:38 PM

When you finally catch her, please post pictures.

BTW, a common misconception with Chamberlin this that he was simply a weak-kneed appeaser. Actually, he considered the Soviets the bigger threat and was hoping to use the Germans as a buffer since France could not be counted on for anything.

NPP on September 1, 2006 at 10:40 PM

she seems to be a pretty normal person. Left leaning, but not crazy insane.

EFG on September 1, 2006 at 10:26 PM

Maybe she’s not really gonna cross to the dark side…

speed647 on September 1, 2006 at 10:40 PM

A rose bush in bloom is pleasing to the eye, but you wouldn’t want to hug one…

SilverStar830 on September 1, 2006 at 11:30 PM

Allah, are you registered anywhere yet?

Kirsten Pundit has a nice ring to it, and her initials remain the same.

DannoJyd on September 1, 2006 at 11:37 PM

I’m sorry, DannoJyd, but Allahpundit can’t answer your question right now. He’s busy right now sending and receiving torrid messages of love, lust and affection ‘twixt him and the lovely Kirsten Powers via e-mail, blog comments, and IM messages.

However, I’m sure that tomorrow he will give your question an answer.

But tonight, it’s e-romance time.

:-)

EFG on September 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM

EFG, I totally understand, and approve Allah’s actions.

There are so many things I could say right now, but I won’t out of respect of true luv. :o>

DannoJyd on September 2, 2006 at 12:02 AM

But tonight, it’s e-romance time.

:-)

EFG on September 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM

Finally time to put those free electrons to good use.
;-)

speed647 on September 2, 2006 at 12:05 AM

This thing is as good as done. You might as well pack your toothbrush and head over to her place.

Squid Vicious on September 2, 2006 at 1:09 AM

Would this be a good time to hawk my Gator Cyberlube Luv Lotion [pat. pend.]?

Poor Ann. Always a brides maid.

DannoJyd on September 2, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Be nice…

Allahpundit on September 2, 2006 at 1:25 AM

AP- Maybe you should let the [sic] slide in the future. She is a newbie at this stuff. Otherwise, brilliant strategy.

Valiant on September 2, 2006 at 5:23 AM

At the same time, any more specificity and the point of his speech is lost in charges of “a ridiculous attempt to smear A, B and C.”

It’s a very important point, and people need to hear it. Who those people are is irrelevant to the point he’s making. The fact that they exist in significant number, which they do, is reason enough to reference them. I see it more in terms of “Some people, and you know who you are…”

Then again, I’m a Rummy fanboy. He’s so hot!

KP, let’s start that list with Jack Murtha, who wants us fighting the WOT from Okinawa.

Pablo on September 2, 2006 at 7:03 AM

Memo to Goering’s ghost and those who pine for it: What was simple in 1940 when telephones were a luxury, television was virtually unheard of and the internet wasn’t even a fantasy is not so simple today. They world has grown up and you folks should too.

Pablo on September 2, 2006 at 7:09 AM

Get a room.

darwin on September 2, 2006 at 8:09 AM

If I lived in New York I would so get Allah hooked up with the right girl. I know how to do these things.

Of course, Texas would be a better place to find someone for him. It would be sooo easy here.

Rightwingsparkle on September 2, 2006 at 10:49 AM

I would welcome Alan Colmes’ replacement by Kirsten Powers. Colmes has increasingly gone off the deep end in defending the indefensible, as long as it is the Democratic talking point for the day. Beckel is more intelligent and is not a sock puppet for the DNC, but is prone to losing his temper and making a fool of himeself. Powers has considerably more composure, a fair amount of intelligence and a point of view, rather than blind allegence to a cause.

ptolemy on September 2, 2006 at 12:06 PM

I think it’s a cute photo, too. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Yeah, she doesn’t look bad at all… I can just put myself in her shoes, remembering that she goofed after the break on H&C, and knowing that you use it regularly when posting about her. Obviously it’s not like Kyra Phillips having to relive her thing, just funny is all.

RightWinged on September 2, 2006 at 1:44 PM

Cynthia McKinney:

1. By then she’ll be looking for a job
2. Fox will then change their logo to “Fair and imbalanced”

Entelechy on September 2, 2006 at 1:49 PM

I’d quibble with that. I’d say “appeasement” is adequate without a specific list of concessions. That’s essentially the subtext of the “Why do they hate us?” question. They are desperate to give the terrorists what they want, they just don’t quite know what that it. (Sign Kyoto, probably.)

Take, for example, this quote from Cynthia McKinney, who is thankfully no longer an employed politician:

We must honestly ask ourselves what is the root cause of this war being waged on our people and our country. I suspect that we will need to look at altering some of our foreign policy positions in some parts of the world. Unless we do this I fear that a military campaign, unsupported by sound foreign policy strategies, will only cause immeasurable civilian suffering throughout the world and may well actually lead to more terrifying attacks upon our cities and our citizenry.

Just find out what it is about our foreign policy that the terrorists don’t like and change it to make them happy. And I think we’ve all heard variations on this theme.

dorkafork on September 2, 2006 at 2:02 PM

That should have been “will thankfully no longer be an employed politician.”

dorkafork on September 2, 2006 at 2:04 PM

Entelechy, Fox cannot take the logo of “Fair and imbalanced”. MSNBC got there first. :o)

Allah, I apologize if I went over the line, but I do try to be origional. With this crowd, it makes for hard work.

DannoJyd on September 2, 2006 at 7:43 PM

Looks are only skin deep……

“Liberal” goes all the way to the bone, and doesn’t wash off. I couldn’t date someone who hates my country & it’s Founding Fathers, and who would love to see America go communist.

VonHelton on September 2, 2006 at 9:12 PM

What if KP is trying herself to seduce AP? And to woo AP into her lair, whereupon she will hold him hostage until he agrees to appear in a video declaring that he’s joining the Democratic Party?

And after his release he’d be interviewed by Greta van Susteren.

Bellicose Muse on September 5, 2006 at 7:47 AM