Cash-bollah: Soiled green is real!

posted at 2:03 pm on August 31, 2006 by Allahpundit

CBC economics correspondent Mike Hornbrook somehow got wind of the speculation on blogs that the greenbacks Hezbo’s been handing out in Lebanon might be counterfeit. Not so, says Hornbrook, in a comment left at Snapped Shot:

With all respect to bloggers who sometimes discover things missed by mainstream media, this story about Hezbollah handing out counterfeit $100 bills is completely insane!

Unlike any of them, I am on the ground in Beirut reporting for CBC News and have checked it out. We could not find a single person complaining about phony money. Furthermore, the very idea shows a profound ignorance of Lebanon and Hezbollah. Lebanon is a major banking center, every bank has counterfeit scanners and other tools for detecting counterfeits. Not just the banks either, every money-changer and supermarket also has a scanner next to the cash register. From personal experience I can tell you they check out $100 USD bills very very carefully, phonies would be detected in an instant. This would bring outraged complaints from people in desperate circumstances that would be a huge embarassment to Hezbollah. No such scandal has emerged because the phony money story is itself phony. The people circulating the story are doing it for their own reasons, but as a journalist I can tell you they are absolutely, totally wrong.

I trust him, although the fact that people aren’t complaining about the money isn’t exactly airtight evidence. Fake money’s better than none at all, and given the fact that Hezbollah owns the southern half of the country now, I doubt you’d find many people willing to speak up even if the money was bogus.

Noted for the record, though.

Comments

Complaining to Hezbollah about your aid check:

Mehdi: Excuse me, Omar? This stack of hundreds you handed me after you, um, Israel banged up my car?

Omar: Yes?

Mehdi: Well, Ben Franklin looks a lot like Nasrallah.

Omar: A miracle!

Mehdi: Yes, yes, Allah be praised, but…

Omar:Yes?

Mehdi: It’s not that I’m not grateful, but I’m going to have a little trouble spending this in the infidel banks, you know…

Omar: Mehdi, Mehdi, Mehdi. Did you want filthy, wrinkled, Great-Satan-Dollars, or these bright, crisp, Islamic D’allahs?

Mehdi: Omar, why did you just take the safety off on your rifle?

Omar: Did I? That could be dangerous. Thing has a hair trigger.

Mehdi: You know, the D’allahs will be just great. Sorry I bothered you.

see-dubya on August 31, 2006 at 2:13 PM

Is the money coming from Lebanese banks or directly from Iran?

Where on the blogosphere are people reporting the money as being fake? Hotair has represented the money as genuine and reports of counterfieting as unsubstantiated, but possible.

As we have seen the Arab world is VERY complicit in their propoganda. A secret service agent tells me the bills are good, then that is airtight evidence.

Theworldisnotenough on August 31, 2006 at 2:15 PM

That money-changers and supermarkets have scanners indicates a routine need to check for phony money. And it sounds like they expect to find it more often than we do here at home.

Retread on August 31, 2006 at 2:17 PM

The first time I saw the story being circulated it was due to a backlit photo that should have made the security strip visible and didn’t. Somehow, I don’t think that’s the kind of reason Hornbrook is talking about.

I wish he’d tell us that he’s looked at some of the cash they’re passing out, and that it does indeed have the features we’d expect to see in it instead of simply telling us that, as a journalist, he knows better. Because the Lebanese wouldn’t fall for it.

Pablo on August 31, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Hornbrook is a class 1 a-hole and CBC rivals only the BBC in it’s biased, grumpy, anti-Israel and anti-American “news” coverage. I’m sure people would just rush out to rat on Hizballah’s funny money. The next thing they know a Hizballah PR guy would be knocking at their door, asking them if they would like to get fitted for a pair of cement shoes and go for a swim in the Litani. Gimme a break.

WriterMom on August 31, 2006 at 2:51 PM

…the very idea shows a profound ignorance of Lebanon and Hezbollah.

Perhaps, I couldn’t say. I have to acknowledge a great degree with regards to both myself. One thing I would say however, as I have before, is that its certainly indicative of a complete lack of common sense. As I’ve said here, and elsewhere, you don’t buy support with monopoly money, as

Watcha reckon this lefty is driving at here Allahpundit?

THeDRiFTeR on August 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM

Watcha reckon this lefty is driving at here Allahpundit?

I reckon he’s driving at the fact that some bloggers fix their facts to suit their political agendas. Which news organizations — and you, of course — never do.

Just curious, TD: which lefty blogs do you comment on? Because in the past three days, I’ve debunked righty bloggers’ conspiratorial accusations over (1) that NYT cheesecake photo, (2) the airstrike on the Reuters van, and now (3) the accusations that Hezbollah’s using counterfeit money. I’m sure you’re holding the assholes at Kos or AmericaBlog to a similarly high standard of factual accuracy.

So, which blogs?

Oh, also: what Snapped Shot didn’t mention publicly but did tell me via e-mail is that Hornbrook has no doubt whatsoever that the money’s coming from Iran. So the fact that it’s not counterfeit doesn’t exactly shatter my worldview.

Allahpundit on August 31, 2006 at 3:29 PM

I’ve never suggested that the money came from elsewhere. Remember? Marshall plan, only in Farsi. (comment made here at HotAir).

As far as lefty blogs are concerned, I don’t visit any, save Billmon (comments disabled), because hey, he’s a lefty, no question, but god damn he’s smart. Don’t always agree with him. In fact, outside of his stand on Israel, I rarely do, but he’s lucid.

I’ve absolutely no time for DailyKos, and I’m not gay, so AmericaBlog, which to me has always seemed to be a single issue blog, holds very little interest for me. And I certainly don’t spend my time trying to “debunk” their talking points. Those people simply cannot be reasoned with alot of the time, so why bother. No, I comment my point of view (on some issues, not all) to the right, where I’m coming from, (believe that or not) because I believe that my opinion, which is shared by alot of conservatives/libertarians, is best seeded in fertile ground.

THeDRiFTeR on August 31, 2006 at 3:44 PM

see-dubya on August 31, 2006 at 2:13 PM
HILLARIOUS!

Green everywhere:
-helmet
-van
-backs
-drifter

Its beginning to look at lot like springtime.

shooter on August 31, 2006 at 4:01 PM

How about a photo/video of those $100 bills to check for authenticity? Hold it up to a light source and see…I wanna see. Talking about it doesn’t hold water from where it’s coming from.

Kokonut on August 31, 2006 at 4:51 PM

…a huge embarassment to Hezbollah…

Frankly, I don’t think this is possible.

B Moe on August 31, 2006 at 5:50 PM

Here’s a link to NBC News video posted at LGF on 7/25 and it does show stacks of UNCUT 100 dollar bills in big sheets, amid the rubble of the Sidon financial district.

At 2:17pm, Retread stated it best . . .

heroyalwhyness on August 31, 2006 at 6:17 PM

I think the fact that they caught Hizbollah’s treasurer/deputy financial director counterfeiting US bills back in ’04 says more about what Hizbollah’s up to than a reporter who “could not find a single person complaining.”

It’s still possible those particular bills were legit, Hizbollah may not want to spread counterfeits in their own backyard, but it’s far from insane. Nor does saying “Lebanon is big on banking” seem to be a very strong argument. Hizbollah gets its money from somewhere, and a lot of it is from criminal activity. Yet we’re supposed to believe the counterfeiting is unthinkable?

dorkafork on August 31, 2006 at 6:25 PM

Hezbollah, may I have my 100 bucks in 5′s and 10′s??

gary on August 31, 2006 at 6:26 PM

Yeah, but Hornbrook told us as a JOURNALIST that there’s no greenback hanky panky going on because he knows the Lebanese absolutely, totally wouldn’t fall for it. It’s insane!

So are you a Zionist or something?

Pablo on August 31, 2006 at 6:46 PM

Don’t care for his rush to impugn the motives of anyone who might be curious. And phrases like “completely insane!”, “circulating the story”, and “as a journalist I can tell you…” make him out (unfairly, I’m sure) to be a pompous ass.

RD on September 1, 2006 at 6:58 AM

Oh, sure, that’s what Hornbrook says when he’s “on the ground in Beirut,” probably with a Hezbollah jackboot pressing on his windpipe. I wonder if he’ll say the same thing once he’s safely home.

Kralizec on September 1, 2006 at 8:38 AM