Video: Bill Maher’s pensees

posted at 7:01 pm on August 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Here’s what passes for political wisdom worthy of prime time in 2006.

Update: Oh Garrison, you’re such a card:

Annual interest on the national debt now exceeds all government welfare programs combined. We’ll be in Iraq for years to come. Hard choices need to be made, and given the situation we’re in, I think we must bite the bullet and say no more healthcare for card-carrying Republicans. It just doesn’t make sense to invest in longevity for people who don’t believe in the future. Let them try faith-based medicine, let them pray for their arteries to be reamed and their hips to be restored, and leave science to the rest of us.

Cutting out healthcare for one-third of the population — the folks with Bush-Cheney bumper stickers, who still believe the man is doing a heckuva job — will save enough money to pay off the national debt, not a bad legacy for Republicans. As Scrooge said, let them die and reduce the surplus population. In return, we can offer them a reduction in the estate tax. All in favor, blow your nose.

Comments

Toxic smugness.

Slublog on August 30, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Aw Please…

This self righteous boob…. ACK!

Kini on August 30, 2006 at 7:11 PM

Anyone seen those LEMMING games?? This guy just looks like a white lemming. And I’d rather run off a cliff then sleep with this idiot. Ptui!

tickleddragon on August 30, 2006 at 7:18 PM

“Especially in this country.” Yep, I weep for all the non-Christians who’ve been beheaded on the White House lawn.

Jim Treacher on August 30, 2006 at 7:19 PM

These humans provide a constant source of entertainment. Their belief that the world would be a perfect place if only democrats ran things. Gas prices would be $0.56, the middle east and Israel would be singing kumbayah, Poverty and disease would disappear (remember John Edwards telling us that if John Kerry is elected, people like Christopher Reeves would get up and walk again?)

I used to get upset at these creatures, but now I laugh at them. They’re insignificant, and offer nothing but endless hatred. I feel sorry for the people who think that bill maher, jon stewart, et al, are legitimate sources of discussion.

rightside on August 30, 2006 at 7:43 PM

rightside: I agree with you completely!

Umnumzana on August 30, 2006 at 7:52 PM

There’s just not other explanation . . . this dolt is an absolute moron.

rplat on August 30, 2006 at 7:57 PM

Arrogance? He has the nerve to criticize other people for arrogance? How does he know that Mel Gibson doesn’t know about the afterlife? Because HE HIMSELF doesn’t know! Talk about arrogance.

CrimsonFisted on August 30, 2006 at 7:59 PM

SO apparently he thinks sex with Michael Moore is a day at the beach?

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 7:59 PM

I know we have all seen this before, but apparently Bill hasn’t. A reminder:
Republican women Democrat women
You decide.

CrimsonFisted on August 30, 2006 at 8:04 PM

Sex with Republicans is excruciating? I think Billie-boy didn’t get a copy of the study/survey that came out a bit ago that said Republicans were better in bed than Democrats.

Enoxo on August 30, 2006 at 8:16 PM

SO apparently he thinks sex with Michael Moore is a day at the beach?

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 7:59 PM

BLECCH!
A day at the beach watching Orcas at play!
My nephew does drywalling,he could fill up Bill’s acne scars in just a few days with some mudding and tape.
Perhaps then he would not be so crabby.

lizzee on August 30, 2006 at 8:19 PM

Maher’s bile spewing hatred for religion is getting old. He’s positive there is no God and religion is like the thought police. That’s fine. But because he’s so secular, he has trouble distinguishing good from evil. For example, he said the 9/11 hijackers were not cowards but brave…to commit suicide with women and children. Ya see Bill, when you spend too much time at the playboy mansion trying to get laid, your mind turns to mush. So when do you stop beating your girlfriend????

Andy in Agoura Hills on August 30, 2006 at 8:23 PM

This man is a wretched human being. What an utter pessimist. What an utter idiot.

Corky on August 30, 2006 at 8:24 PM

Please don’t give this idiot anymore coverage than he already gets. Thanks for nothing.

Cary on August 30, 2006 at 8:29 PM

Why does the media give this guy an air of legitimacy? He is just an over paid comedian. Do any of you laugh at his pathetic jokes?

So why is he now being promoted as the expert on foreign affairs and things political?

What an arrogant jerk. Christopher Hitchens was right to flip off his audience and we should all flip Maher off.

I could care less what he has to say about anything.

ScottyDog on August 30, 2006 at 8:35 PM

SO apparently he thinks sex with Michael Moore is a day at the beach?

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 7:59 PM

okayyyyyyy, I want to gouge my eyeballs with a rusty fork now, after reading that. Isn’t Moore-a-philia considered a form of bestiality?

Seriously, though, at least I give Maher credit for finding himself a niche. Lord knows his movies sucked, and his standup was as funny as a swift kick in the bag. But ever since he lauded the bravery of the Taliban, he became the prototypical 21st century Holly-left pundit. Adversarial quasi-punditry for the adversarial media, with soundbites to match. Reality be damned; full speed moral-equivocating ahead! What a clown.

Kid from Brooklyn on August 30, 2006 at 8:35 PM

I guess this moron has never heard of Salman Pak

JasonG on August 30, 2006 at 8:38 PM

bbz123 wrote:

SO apparently he thinks sex with Michael Moore is a day at the beach?

Ew. Let’s hope we never find out the answer.

CrimsonFisted wrote:

I know we have all seen this before, but apparently Bill hasn’t. A reminder:
Republican women Democrat women
You decide.

I see there are quite a few blondes in the “Republican women” link - go blonde! We’ve dealt with the “dumb blonde” stereotype for far too long and it’s nice to see some strong, smart blonde Republican women out there smashing the stereotype to pieces :)

As for the Democrat women link – that’s just plain mean! LOL.

SisterToldjah on August 30, 2006 at 8:51 PM

Maher hasn’t noticed that it’s not the “card carrying” republicans that are sucking on the welfare/healthcare teet.
Moron

sMack on August 30, 2006 at 9:01 PM

I’d like to see the look on Bill’s face when God asks him to ‘splain himself before Him.

speed647 on August 30, 2006 at 9:07 PM

After last week when there was all kind of female hotness, you show off this dick – er, Bill.

Last week pwns this week.

…better of with Saddam…

MacStansbury on August 30, 2006 at 9:08 PM

Crimson,

With you on both posts. Maher commits a logical fallacy in assuming what another can or cannot perceive.

And of course one can easily cherry-pick attractive or unattractive people, but we have a very good team.

mikeyboss on August 30, 2006 at 9:34 PM

Maher is right. Let’s reopen the rape rooms and fire up the shredding machines again… that will get everything back under control!

Watcher on August 30, 2006 at 9:40 PM

“You ask the people of Iraq…”

And 77% of them say it was worth the cost to them to have Saddam gone. Now what, Bill?

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 9:41 PM

I think at this point Maher says deliberately stupid sh– like that now just because he knows his dimwitted audience laps it up. The only thing missing this evening was the laughter and applause from his adoring fans. I’m sure he missed it.

SisterToldjah on August 30, 2006 at 9:44 PM

Saddam and I have agreed it would be fun to hang, draw, and quarter Bill Maher while he made excuses on our behalf

Kralizec on August 30, 2006 at 9:45 PM

I saved money by not buying a ticket for A Prairie Home Companion.

Jim Treacher on August 30, 2006 at 9:54 PM

I’d give anything to have just 3mins of excruciating pasty, white, hot Republican monkey love with Bethany.

The Ugly American on August 30, 2006 at 10:11 PM

I hate to say this but Maher is usually right on in his commentaries/comedy. He makes sense here. As suggested earlier her, do I want the rape rooms back? Sure! What do I care? We didn’t invade to get rid of the rape rooms. The war is a lie and too many have died for Bush’s folly.

duffyb on August 30, 2006 at 10:13 PM

That turned my stomach. Both Maher and duffyb.

Anwyn on August 30, 2006 at 10:20 PM

The Ugly American on August 30, 2006 at 10:11 PM

That would be quite the treat. ;-)

speed647 on August 30, 2006 at 10:29 PM

Years ago I used to think Keillor was mildly funny, amusing in a sort of old-uncle-who-tells-bad-jokes-and-tall-tales kind of way. Now I just add him to the pile of twee, sanctimonious schmucks who know how to say how wrong and bad they think things are in their eyes, but who have abosolutely no solutions to anything other than “Impeach George Bush” or some other such magical thinking.

Gottafang on August 30, 2006 at 10:53 PM

The tiny germ of truth in what Maher said is this:
Precisely because it is faith, and cannot be proven in a court of law, each individual person deserves the freedom to personally believe whatever. Where we have to draw the line is the point where one is willing to use force to compel others to espouse that belief, or to act in accordance with that belief.

It happens that Mel Gibson believes in some stuff that I don’t, and vice versa. I don’t see him calling for Men With Badges And Guns to force me to attend his church, or make a statement of belief in his particular creed.

Unlike Khaled’s hosts.

The Monster on August 30, 2006 at 10:55 PM

Who the hell is Bill Maher?

Oh… yeah… he’s that wingnut that claims he’s half Jew. I thought he died on top of an argumentative hooker or somthing.

SilverStar830 on August 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM

Finalement – we finally have a candidate (Bill Maher) to replace Kofi Annan, since Bill Clinton can’t accept the job, unless Mrs. Clinton won’t run for President.

duffyb, you gave us another reason why your party isn’t the progressive one. No! No way could a party which is for rape rooms, no mattter where in the world, be progressive!

Entelechy on August 31, 2006 at 12:50 AM

History will prove that positioning ourselves in Iraq at this important juncture in history was sheer brilliance.

bbz123 on August 31, 2006 at 1:22 AM

beyond douche…. I guess Mahr didn’t see the documents a few months ago showing Saddam’s operational ties to Al Qaeda?

I also guess Mahr ignored the study showing that conservatives are reproducting 41% more children, dispelling the “Republicans are a bunch of crusty old non-sex havers”… The fact that California could become a red state by 2020 would have Mahr crapping his pants if it weren’t for the reassurance liberals have, knowing that they’ll have tens of millions of illegals voting by then to counter us.

RightWinged on August 31, 2006 at 1:57 AM

I prefer not to step in this puddle of intellect.

Wil on August 31, 2006 at 6:08 AM

Ok, now that’s just silly. If Dubya was really just like Saddam, Jenna would have long since fed Maher thru a wood chipper.

Tanya on August 31, 2006 at 8:15 AM

So I’m reading this silly socialist nonsense rant and just below is a link to the sponsor, “Infiniti”, a luxury automobile. No wonder we can’t pay teachers a “decent wage”. Stop buying expensive automobiles!

kmcguire on August 31, 2006 at 8:24 AM

One more guy with an anus…and an opinion! I thought Larry King was dead!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 31, 2006 at 9:25 AM

wait …, people still watch Larry King?

yo on August 31, 2006 at 9:28 AM

Maher says about life after death and Mel Gibson, “he doesnt know, because I dont know”

There are no words to describe the arrogance and ignorance wrapped up in that statement.

shooter on August 31, 2006 at 10:11 AM

From just about the smartest man on the planet, ever:
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
– Albert Einstein
But I’m sure this is somehow an incorrect statement according to maher.

shooter on August 31, 2006 at 10:15 AM

I thought Larry King was dead!

He died 10 years ago. They simply put suspenders on an owl and stuck it in his chair and they’ve managed to fool everyone. Look close next time he’s on… Tell me that’s not an owl.

RightWinged on August 31, 2006 at 10:37 AM

What a dolt. So, if he doesn’t know something,then then no one else can know it. How self-absorbed and arrogant. He’s pretty much asserting that he himself is God.

vcferlita on August 31, 2006 at 10:49 AM

Whoops.I totally screwed up that quote block thing didn’t I?

vcferlita on August 31, 2006 at 10:51 AM

vcferlita – Still worked, you made your point.

I looked up two words, Stupid and Narcissistic, both had a picture of Maher.

But this definition really fits:
A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.

shooter on August 31, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Maher gets dumber with every word that he speaks. He has a serious irony deficiency at the very least. Anyone who disagrees with him is arrogant because only he knows what is right and true and meaning. What a putz.

DrEvil on August 31, 2006 at 12:53 PM

Anyone else notice how the left increasingly relies on comedians as its ideological mouthpieces? For example, to name just the ones who come immediately to mind:

- Bill Maher
- Jon Stewart
- Al Franken
- Randi Rhodes
- Margaret Cho

I’d venture that the reason this is so has to do with my theory that being a lefty is basically the end-product of arrested adolescence.

Check of Proof: Back in junior high school, it’s common to confuse juvenile stabs at “wit” for “wisdom,” name-calling for “argument,” and “passion” for “persuasiveness.” Recall as well how so many of the mouthy little weasels back in the 7th-9th grade were also among the popular kids, because they seemed so, like, “smart” and “cool” with their always-ready-at-the-fingertips wisecracks?

Most people who grow up come to look for things like logic, evidence and reasoned discourse in shaping their opinions; but if you stop maturing emotionally at late childhood, the old junior high rules of debate never grow old.

In playing to his audience of pavlovian, trained seals, Maher is puer eternus – the “cool” kid showing off in front of the other kids, who themselves still haven’t emotionally matured and who consequently still think that “sophistication” is somehow evinced from sophistry, profundity from sarcasm, and “edginess” from simple mean-spiritedness.

Spurius Ligustinus on August 31, 2006 at 1:31 PM

Does Garrison Keillor think that the government pays for Republicans’ health care?

I thought he was supposed to be at least reasonably intelligent.

DaveS on August 31, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Wow, lots of typical mean spirited neocons here not will to listen to anything which runs contrary to what they are told to believe on Fox News. Nice little lemmings.

” I guess Mahr didn’t see the documents a few months ago showing Saddam’s operational ties to Al Qaeda?”

LOL! No I didn’t see that one either! If it was true don’t you think Bush would be all over the country hawking it to save his ass and his sagging numbers? Geez, you guys can’t see the forest for the trees.

duffyb on September 1, 2006 at 9:49 AM

But because he’s so secular, he has trouble distinguishing good from evil.

You know, it’s d*cks like Andy in Agoura Hills that make decent humanists wish for a doable third party.

Both the parties need some cancers excised.

Democrats: Anti-americanism, socialist tendancies (for a start)

Republicans: Theocratic supremism. We already know where that goes, Ann, Bill, and Andy, so give it a f*ckin’ rest!

MegaTroopX on September 2, 2006 at 8:23 PM