SF man goes on driving rampage, kills one and injures 14

posted at 1:05 am on August 30, 2006 by Bryan

Michelle’s got a great round up, and she also pointed me to this exhaustive post. Both are well worth a read.

The gist is that a 29-year-old man, Omeed Aziz Popal, went on a street rampage in San Francisco within a half-mile of a large Jewish center. The rampage lasted more than an hour and left one man dead. Popal appears to be from Afghanistan, and as these things always go, he is described by friends and neighbors as “quiet.” He lives in Fremont, more than 40 miles from SF. No motive has been established, but it’s not hard to find recent parallels to today’s violence. I can think of two without really trying. Parallel one. Parallel two.

If we find out that Popal’s weapon of choice, an SUV, was a rental…and that he’d recently become “more devout”…

Late night (or rather, morning) update from Michelle
: This answers one of Bryan’s questions and adds a bit more detail on Popal. The SUV appears to have been his…

Although police did not officially identify Popal, they indicated the car involved in the assaults was registered in his name. They also said Popal was reported missing three days ago. One police source reported that Popal told police that he wanted to kill his family. Authorities quickly went to his home in Fremont and found his mother and sisters unharmed.

Police said they were confident the same suspect struck in Fremont and San Francisco. “It sure looks that way. It seems to be the same vehicle and the same method,” said Sgt. Bill Veteran of the Fremont Police Department.

Newsom said the suspect appeared to have no arrest record.

Popal’s driving record, however, shows convictions for six moving violations between 2003 and 2005.

Comments

Are you surprised. I’m not.

Let me guess, he belongs to that religion of peace, yes?

Kini on August 30, 2006 at 1:25 AM

I’m getting really sick of these attacks on our fellow Americans being swept under the PC rug. I don’t know enough yet. If it turns out he’s a Muslim, and he thinks he’s doing Allah a favor, and the MSM covers for him, I just get sicker. But I won’t turn away in disgust, because we need to be vigilant.

Doug on August 30, 2006 at 1:28 AM

An unidentified cousin claims that Popal, who is indeed Afghani, is delusional and on medications:

And on Islam, I’ll bet.

Kini on August 30, 2006 at 1:37 AM

Things that make you go hmmh? Why is it that it’s just a random case of road rage to the MSM but if he had a W bumper sticker on his car he would have been called a terrorist.

Catie96706 on August 30, 2006 at 1:39 AM

I don’t know, I think I buy the “wedding jitters” excuse coming out that Michelle added to her update (but to be clear, didn’t endorse)… I mean, when we have relationship problems, who among us hasn’t rammed a bunch of people with their car, including in front of a Jewish Community Center. He was just blowing off a little steam.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 1:46 AM

A W Sticker, In San Fran, and it’s not already trashed? I think not Catie96706.

BTW, how’s the weather in Ewa Beach?

Kini on August 30, 2006 at 1:46 AM

I urge caution. Please.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 1:47 AM

Allah, does this mean we can’t pre-emptively nuke Mecca?

=)

Lehuster on August 30, 2006 at 2:42 AM

I urge caution. Please.

I agree with Allah here… Although this is odd. All I think I can say for sure is that this isn’t “road rage” or “wedding jitters”… If road rage he wouldn’t have deliberately targeted random people throghout neighborhoods, he’d smash someone who cut him off, etc. If “wedding jitters” that’s a convenient “insanity defense” liberal excuse that I don’t buy. Doesn’t mean his was Muslim on Jew violence by any means, but I just get so sick of the “crazy” defense. Personal responsibility please.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 3:17 AM

Caution you say, OK sure. Excuse the sarcasm if it offends seems too harsh you.

You’re my only…. vent….

I don’t have the journalistic prowl-ness as some do on this post. Nonetheless, … nuff said.

Kini on August 30, 2006 at 3:50 AM

I demand that police immediately increase patrols near mosques and in muslim neighborhoods to defend against the inevitable backlash from anti-islam hooligans that roam the streets of our nation.

eagles5 on August 30, 2006 at 4:14 AM

Hmmm. Seems to me that this person might not ordinarily drive around and harm people, but he nurtures a reservoir of “pre-existing” hate toward Jews and other infidels that might express itself at any time “naturally”, particularly under certain circumstances.

Duress is something we all encounter from time to time, but we don’t explode and ram a Jewish community center like he did because we haven’t been taught virulent hate against its members. It’s possible that under duress, that hate ignites a decision – a choice borne of free will & no prior agenda – to harm infidels (and some more than others, evidently).

What this means to me is: (1) there’s no master plan here, no design to ocmmit terror, just anger boiling over; and (2) the frequency of these incidents will rise in direct proportion to the number of immigrants who share in his bigotry.

RD on August 30, 2006 at 5:44 AM

Just another terrorist attack in a long string of others because Bush will not enforce our laws. He calls it a religon of peace, maybe he should have another pow wow with Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, his favorite advisers. Maybe a summit with Ted Kennedy and Bill Clinton, his favorite politicians.
Oh, but Ann Coulter says he is fighting the war on terror!
Yeah right. Try defending America instead of Iraq….but I am sure Bush thinks it is cute under his watch to have Mexican flags flying over our federal post office buildings.

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 6:33 AM

First, we get,

within a half-mile of a large Jewish center

posted at 1:05 am on August 30, 2006 by Bryan

then,

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 1:46 AM

and finally,

…but we don’t explode and ram a Jewish community center like he did…

RD on August 30, 2006 at 5:44 AM

Did nobody see,

I urge caution. Please.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 1:47 AM

and if so, what part didn’t you understand? (all emphasis mine)

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 7:01 AM

Drifter,

What, you’ve never played the “telephone” game?

“Johnny and the mothers are playing Stompin at the Savoy in Vermont tonight.”

Anyone here old enough to recognize that?

mikeyboss on August 30, 2006 at 7:37 AM

First of all Drifter, you increasingly annoying liberal troll, you ask “did nobody see” AP’s comment about caution… well only one of the comments you quote came after AP’s comment anyway, so your point is moot when quoting everyone but RD already.

And if you were being intellectually honest (forgot, that’s why I can’t stand liberal blog commenters, you lack that ability) you’d have noted my comment that followed AP’s plea for caution where I agree with him…. but even if you didn’t, what is your issue with my first comment? The one sentence you quoted me says:

What’s the problem? I am just stating facts from media reports… I can’t wait to hear you explain to me how honestly repeating what’s in the media reports is wrong… You’re really got to think before you type dude, you’re being a pest.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 7:43 AM

This just smells to high heaven.
I do not believe in coincidences like this anymore.

Abigail Adams on August 30, 2006 at 8:25 AM

Watch to see how quickly the libs will try to convince the public that this was not terrorism but merely an act of insanity.

No politician will admit to any terrorism that they can’t blame Bush or their political opponent for failing to prevent and that they can’t create a new government bureaucracy or take military action to combat.

Ask your political rep “What are you planning to do to combat “Islamic vehicular trampling terrorism”?.

Perchant on August 30, 2006 at 8:29 AM

The fact that he first hit an old man and then calmly drove 40+ miles to what is clearly the one area in San Francisco that is considered Jewish,and focusing all of his “rage” on that one area is the tell here.The media and the LE are invested in keeping a lid on this aspect,as is the moron mayor of SF.

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 8:33 AM

It will be interesting to hear what Popal has to say about his motive and intent. And if he was inspired by Islam, it will be sickening to watch the MSM downplay it as they did with the Seattle shootings and the UNC vehicular jihadi.

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 8:47 AM

The first thing I thought of when I heard this was the UNC attack. I’m wondering if anyone has found any notes from the attacker like in that incident.

vcferlita on August 30, 2006 at 9:09 AM

The reports say this was just Wedding Jitters.

Fine. Maybe that’s what started it.

But it appears like this guy dealt with his “jitters” by executing his own little Jihad. Wedding Jitters just doesn’t execuse that.

Whatching the MSM spin this one is making me dizzy.

Lawrence on August 30, 2006 at 9:16 AM

Clarify he was upset about a recent arranged marriage in Afghanistan. Are we still being cautios?

frreal on August 30, 2006 at 9:49 AM

Police scanner reports indicated that the suspect made spontaneous statements to police about being angry at members of his family. The man reportedly told police that after running over his random victims, he planned to head back to Fremont and kill his family.

I can so relate. I have been so angry at my family I wanted to drive 40+ miles and run over innocent people on sidewalks near Jewish temples. OR MAYBE NOT! *sigh*
I agree we need to wait and see BUT the circumstantial evidence adds up and up and UP.
MM just recently did the entire article about YMMs. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck…IT’S A JR JIHADI !

labwrs on August 30, 2006 at 9:54 AM

I urge caution. Please.

That sounds like extreme dhimmitude to me.

Muslims make up what 1% of the population? And yet Muslims seem to be involved in a disproportionate amount of rampages (mowing down civilians using SUVs, killing Jews in Jewish centers, being snipers targeting civilians in the Washington area). What is it in their religion that condones such behavior?

The Mainstream Media is urging so much “caution” it is not even reporting the news. You can always tell what the MSM wants you to know by reading the Reuters and AP headlines on Yahoo. No mention of this one. Yet if it had been a white guy you would not hear the end of it.

My question again is: There are so many people that want to enter this country to live. Why are we limiting Korean Christians, peaceful Buddhists, Europeans, etc. and flooding our country with people that espouse a violent religion? Until we start hearing the average Muslim condemning the jihad aspects of his religion (instead of always blaming the victim and then playing the victim of racism), we need to seriously consider banning these anti-semites from entering our country to live.

januarius on August 30, 2006 at 10:35 AM

Interesting point when you consider what is happening, and will happen in France in the near future.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 10:44 AM

That sounds like extreme dhimmitude to me.

I think Allah is just suggesting that we wait for the facts to arrive before people start drawing conclusions. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 10:48 AM

I agree with Pablo, and I’m still waiting for Drifter to come back and explain his criticism of my earlier comment

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 11:01 AM

These questions all needed to be asked. Why did it happen? was it fueled Isalm? what did the driver say/write ?etc. The MSM wont ask, SF authorities wont, locals wont or didnt.. so….the Q’s are left to the bloggers and commenters.
Caution? I dont know how much I agree with that if the questions dont receive the appropriate time and answers that we as Americans deserve. Isnt that what you have been talking up? Getting the real story out? Muslims might have brought this upon themselves. People are dying across the country from these situations.
I might be wrong here. Tell me where I’m wrong.

shooter on August 30, 2006 at 11:05 AM

As soon as I heard about this I was sure it was another of what ACE calls “YOUEE”s – Youths Of Unknown Ethnic Extraction.

But as I learn more details…

Well, ok, my first instinct was right.

But at least this time he may just be a ‘regular’ nutter rather than a ‘holy warrior’.

KCSteve on August 30, 2006 at 11:09 AM

shooter, you’re right in that the questions should be asked. But I think the key point is not to assume we know what the answers are before we actually do. If the questions aren’t being asked or answered, that’s a seperate but perfectly valid point of contention.

In a nutshell, the 48 hour rule applies.

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 11:09 AM

Pablo, You were quick and right on.
But we on-line dont have the patience for 48 hours.
What we are really pissed about is that those questions were not asked either from avoidance, or fear that the truth is too difficult and uncomfortable for some… and , of course, not PC. In an equal society, we shouldnt have to wait, it is what it is. Time allows for deception and cover-up and the MSM avoided this story yesterday like the plague.
Being ‘PC’ has ruined another part of Americana. PC wont allow us/authorities/msm to ask these questions. In 48 hours, it will be old news and ‘hopefully’ forgotten.
Win one for the___________ fill in the blank.

shooter on August 30, 2006 at 11:23 AM

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 11:01 AM

In an echo chamber, it should be the same sounds coming back at you.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 10:44 AM

What is happening in France? Be careful now, I live there. If you are referring to the riots of last year, save it. It has about as much to do with “islamofascism” as the Watts or Rodney King riots.

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 11:29 AM

RightWinged:

Your point, however, about Allahpundits admonition is well taken. I tend to read all the comments and then post myself, not necessarily paying attention to the order in which they were posted. I shall strive to be more careful, but I still think my original intention was amusing.

Hey, just call me a liberal troll, everyone else here does…

PS, that’s not an admission.

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 11:35 AM

..France? Be careful now, I live there.
THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Well that explains SOME things.

shooter on August 30, 2006 at 11:38 AM

Drifter, how about you scroll up and answer my other question instead of using the common liberal diversion technique… You quoted a bunch of people then AP asking for caution, then asked us what we didn’t understand about what AP said. For starters I’ve had nothing but caution, and secondly all but one of the comments you quoted were written before AP’s call for caution anyway. Scroll up a bit, and answer my question of how my comment that you quoted shows me being uncautious about this.

(here’s where you ignore it again, and toss out another diversion like a good liberal)

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 11:39 AM

Drifter, thanks for admitting that you didn’t pay attention to the order in which comments came now, but how about you explain to me even still, how my comment that you quoted was not being cautious… All I did was point out a fact in the reporting that some people were killed in front of the Jewish community center… I didn’t say he went there looking for them, or anything of the sort… just stated a fact. Your decision to include my comment in your original critical comment lacks any reasoning.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Kini, have you ever lived out here or are you from here? It has been hot and sticky as usual but I believe the trade winds are coming back a bit although as you probably know our trades in Ewa are nothing like the trades in Waikiki or Kailu.
Catie

Catie96706 on August 30, 2006 at 12:36 PM

“If you are referring to the riots of last year, save it. It has about as much to do with “islamofascism” as the Watts or Rodney King riots.” -Drifter

Drifter keep telling yourself that when you are being fitted for a prayer rug. France is already lost and it is because of the same “genius” thinking that you put on display here.

America1st on August 30, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Catie96706, I live on the BI in Kea’au, near Hilo.

Back on topic. Maybe we can appease the “islamofascism” problem by putting up prayer rooms in airports and shopping malls. Afterall, this is what they have in other countries.

However, Islam only, others need not apply. Next to the Falafel stand.

Kini on August 30, 2006 at 1:05 PM

America1st on August 30, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Now, if you were making this arguement from an economic, or fiscal standpoint, I would have no argument. Socially however, load of crap. Muslims over runing the country? Hogwash. Visit the place before commenting like an expert. And if you want to talk about real family values, hey, 5 weeks paid vacation for every french worker, well, that’s family values. I have 2 sons.

RightWinged:

All I was trying to say was that the story seemed to evolve without any real evidence to substantiate the evolution. That’s not to say that the evidence won’t surface, but let’s let it, lest we drown in our own rhetoric.

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 1:44 PM

Which is why France has such a high unemployment rate–not too family friendly to those without a job.

These wonderful 5-week paid vacations that cause such a high unemployment rate for their Arab immigrants are one reason France cannot assimilate them. It is also why France is forced to sell their products to countries run by dictators. They simply cannot compete with a superior economic model such as the U.S. on a level playing field. When we overthrew Saddam, the French knew they were losing a lucrative market where they would not have to compete with America. France is willing to keep millions in servitude by supporting vile dictators to keep their 5-week vacations.

januarius on August 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM

januarius on August 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM

Horsesh*t.

You saying boy wonder is a dictator now? America is the largest importer of french goods in the world. No, its just that McDonalds and Coca-Cola don’t call the social shots here. They conform to the people’s will, not the other way around. To suggest that France is what kept Saddam going is just plain ignorance. Just ask Rummy, he’s been there, bearing gifts.

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 2:33 PM

januarius on August 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM

Oh, and while you have me ranti… venting, sorry, whilst the unemployment rate is high in France, no denying that, do you believe that they are worse off and starving compared to say, the UK, or the US? If I were poor, which I’m not, I’d rather it be here, than in either the UK or the US.

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 2:39 PM

” Muslims over runing the country? Hogwash. Visit the place before commenting like an expert.”

Why is it the base of every fools argument is a misleading attack on the other party? I have visited France, several times in fact. However that is completely irrelevant to the argument. Visiting France has nothing to do with assessing it’s problems/vulnerabilities

1. You don’t have to visit France, when you can watch all the major cities burn for over a month at the hands of muslim youth, to realize that France has a huge problem.
2. You don’t have to visit France to take a look at it’s demographics. You have two kids. Thats great! But you are in the minority in your country. You (and the rest of Europe) have already passed the point of birthrate/sustainability/replacement.
3. Guess which groups in Europe don’t have the same birthrate problem? The ones that are burning the cities, clamoring for Sharia law and an Islamic Caliphate.
4. Simple math (has already been done by experts) and can pinpoint within a decade, when the Country you know and love will have disappeared and replaced with something very ugly.
5. Lest you think I am throwing stones in glass houses, I live in the Southwest of the United States and we are facing the same problem here with illegal immigration. Similar demographic problem, similar outcome, just not so far along as France (and Europe.) I also don’t have my head in the sand glorifying stupid group think at the governmental level that is destroying the very countries and people they are supposed to represent.

America1st on August 30, 2006 at 2:57 PM

This is such an uneducated European stereotype of America. How many people are starving in America? None. In fact, those living under the “poverty line” (wealth compared to most countries) have the highest rate of obesity in the U.S. If you drive through the poorest sections in the U.S., the citizens almost uniformly have 3 meals a day, TV’s, stereos, new clothes, cars, free education, libraries, houses with yards, etc.

On a level playing field, French products cannot compete with American. I would suggest that Toyota cars are better than Ford, but Citroens better than Ford? Give me a break!The Airbus 380 than the new Boeing dreamliner? They are even talking about Airbus going under after the 380 debacle. France’s state-supported, high tax, welfare economic model simply cannot compete with America’s free-market.

This diversion does not change the fact that France actively makes deals with dictators throughout the world so that its borderline socialist economy can afford to keep those 5-week vacations you so enjoy at the expense of millions living under these dictatorships. Why else was France so adamant that we NOT overthrow Saddam Hussein?

januarius on August 30, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Burbs in a a few cities, with cars burning. Again, Fox news would have you think differently, but it wasn’t civil war, or muslim over running the country. It was, all said, and compared to the Rodney King riots, pretty tame. Oh, and it wasn’t “muslim youth”, but youth in general. They take to the streets here when they get pissed. We did once too, but that was a long time ago.

Um, I’m american, and not all americans live in america, believe that or not.

The muslims I know here, and I know a good many, wouldn’t support Sharia. They love the republic, and the rights that come with it. Islamic Caliphate? LOL.

Within a decade? Experts? You mean Fox News? LOL. And “the country I know and love”? Again, I’m from the the states, and the future is ours!

THeDRiFTeR on August 30, 2006 at 3:11 PM

You can’t have a debate with someone who dodges, obfuscates, and denigrates the other party.

America1st on August 30, 2006 at 3:17 PM

The diverter Drifter:

I’m going to ask you again how pointing out the simple fact that some of the pedestrians hit were in front of the Jewish Community Center, was being uncautious? You can dodge all day long, and I’ll keep call you on it.

And enjoy Sharia Law, I hear it’s a hoot. I give you a couple decades and you’ll be back here commenting under the name al-Drifter. The points raised above are known for all of Europe, but especially France, Muslims repopulation rates are high while native Europeans are low and it won’t be more than 2 or 3 decades before they are the majority.

RightWinged on August 31, 2006 at 1:34 AM