Report: The secret holder is… (Update: Confession)

posted at 9:18 am on August 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

Ta-da.

Looks like I’ve got some meat to deliver.

sausage.jpg

Update: Captain Ed thinks this is less about pork-aversion than petty personal vendettas. Perhaps.

Update: For the record, Flip heard back from Crapo’s spokesperson, who denied that he was the holder. So the only ones who didn’t respond were Judd Gregg and Porky.

Update: Porky comes clean.

Comments

…and “the Internet is NOT a big truck. It’s a series of tubes.”

For the love of Pete, can we please get this man out of the Senate and into assisted living somewhere?

MT on August 30, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Alaskans are going to need to hold this man accountable, BIG TIME. Is he up for election in November? And if he is, who is he running against?

pullingmyhairout on August 30, 2006 at 9:30 AM

MK looks to be right on the money so to speak. This guy is an embarrassment but his people probably love him for getting our money to them!

labwrs on August 30, 2006 at 9:33 AM

Stevens,… he’s the guy that wanted all that money for the bridge to the island with nothing on it.

Funny, when I first heard about this I immediately thought about him and his bridge. Then I disregarded the notion as to coincidental. I guess I should have gone with my gut instinct. It was usually correct when I was a cop.

This guy makes me want to “draw rolled eyes.”

V5 on August 30, 2006 at 9:44 AM

What did we expect? Don’t we elect our government representatives to go out and bring back more of someone else’s money? Isn’t that the way we set our government up? The guy is doing his job.

I agree with an earlier thread that stated,” the problem is with the rule that allows secrecy.” That is what we should target.

Rustyw on August 30, 2006 at 9:52 AM

I think you knew it all along. You were just looking for an excuse to slip, I mean, deliver some sausage to Mary K.

Patterico on August 30, 2006 at 10:13 AM

Senator Bridge to Nowhere is not up for re-election until 2008. Perhaps his ex-colleague Frank Murkowski losing a GOP primary in Alaska for RINO tactics may wake him up a little. You can urge Sen. Stevens to come clean and release his hold via .

Valiant on August 30, 2006 at 10:23 AM

I hate to be working his switchboard today. Someone should get that poor soul a Xanax or two.

Yay, blogosphere! Even the left end of it. OK, the relatively sane left part of it. Way to go TPM.

Well we know where were goin
But we don’t know where weve been
And we know what were knowin
But we can’t say what weve seen
And we’re not little children
And we know what we want
And the future is certain
Give us time to work it out

We’re on a bridge to nowhere
Come on inside
Takin that ride to nowhere
We’ll take that ride

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 10:38 AM

How in the hell did the Senate get a rule that allows a single, uh, member to block legislation indefinitely?

The Monster on August 30, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Elected officials can either be statesmen or politicians. With this “secret hold” b.s., Stevens has proven he will never, CAN never rise to anything above the lowest order of politician. He is petty, porky and should be kicked out of the party as well as his Senate seat.

xardoz on August 30, 2006 at 10:47 AM

This guy is, well, crazy. Remember the hissy fit he threw in the chamber when the Senate was threatening to cut funding for his bridge to nowhere?

honora on August 30, 2006 at 10:52 AM

“Attsa sum spicy sausage all right”

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on August 30, 2006 at 11:01 AM

And the MSM did what on this issue? Wait for the Blogs to dig it out. The MSM is worthless…..

dallas94 on August 30, 2006 at 11:11 AM

The Monster:

Dittos on that. And more to the point, they can do it anonymously. That, my friends, is a load of crap. Rules changes are needed. Filibustering should be in the classic mode, stand up and talk for as long as you can, not a procedural trick, and no one – NO ONE – should be allowed to do ANYTHING anonymously in ANY branch of government, at ANY level.

xardoz on August 30, 2006 at 11:40 AM

I called up Steven’s office (202-224-3004) and they would neither confirm nor deny the accusation (I was friendly of course). This is where the blogosphere can be most helpful. By placing calls to Senators making bad decisions, we become an uber-lobby. Call/write/email! This is a pretty good bill, but that’s not the biggest point. Our own Senators are keeping secrets from us that don’t have to do with national security. That is unacceptable.

Does anyone know of a Senator willing to put forth a bill making holds on a bill non-anonymous? That bill would be well worth fighting for.

Kevin M on August 30, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Just imagine the fun that a Senator Bernie Sanders could have with this “secret hold” rule.

eagles5 on August 30, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Allahpundit,

I say you should be forced to build Porky’s Bridge to Nowhere… OUT OF SAUSAGE LINKS!

Mark Jaquith on August 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM

MKH – “there’s something in it for me, if only AP would quit flirting with that (liberal) KP”…

Entelechy on August 31, 2006 at 2:27 AM