NYT suckers KP by carving up Rumsfeld’s speech

posted at 4:38 pm on August 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

So I was over at Kirsten Powers’s blog, pining away, when I stumbled upon this bit of unwarranted snarkiness. Emphases mine:

The NYT’s reports on Rumsfeld’s latest broadside against those who are in touch with reality:

“Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday that critics of the war in Iraq and the campaign against terror groups ‘seem not to have learned history’s lessons,’ and he alluded to those in the 1930’s who advocated appeasing Nazi Germany.”

He really shouldn’t talk about Robert Novak, George Will, and William F. Buckley Jr. like that. Not nice at all. I may not agree with them on most things, but calling them appeasers is just not nice.

Yeah, it’s not nice. It’s also not what he said. Here’s the transcript. Quote:

There was a strange innocence about the world. Someone recently recalled one U.S. senator’s reaction in September of 1939 upon hearing that Hitler had invaded Poland to start World War II. He exclaimed:

“Lord, if only I had talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided!”

I recount that history because once again we face similar challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism. Today — another enemy, a different kind of enemy — has made clear its intentions with attacks in places like New York and Washington, D.C., Bali, London, Madrid, Moscow and so many other places. But some seem not to have learned history’s lessons.

Note: not Baghdad or Fallujah, although I certainly would have included them on the list. And note: it’s not “critics of the war in Iraq” but “some” unspecified segment of the population he accuses of not having learned history’s lessons. Would Powers herself deny that that’s true? She’s a Lieberman supporter, for Christ’s sake. She knocked the nutroots “fringe” not five days ago for believing that the UK terror plot was concocted to distract the world from Little Neddy’s primary win in Connecticut. Has she changed her mind?

Or did she make the very foolish mistake of trusting the Times to represent accurately what Rumsfeld had said?

More from the Times article:

Mr. Rumsfeld’s speech on Tuesday did not explicitly mention the Democrats, and he cited only comments by human rights groups and in press reports as evidence of what he described as “moral or intellectual confusion about who or what is right or wrong.”

Here’s the passage that quote comes from. He’s talking about Haditha and the rape and murder of the young Iraqi girl at Mahmoudiya:

[I]n every army, there are occasional bad actors, the ones who dominate the headlines today, who don’t live up to the standards of the oath and of our country. But you also know that they are a very, very small percentage of the literally hundreds of thousands of honorable men and women in all theaters in this struggle who are serving our country with humanity, with decency, with professionalism, and with courage in the face of continuous provocation. (Applause.)

And that is important in any long struggle or long war, where any kind of moral or intellectual confusion about who and what is right or wrong, can weaken the ability of free societies to persevere.

I.e., just because we have some bad people in the military doesn’t mean we’re the bad guys, especially vis-a-vis this particular enemy. Would Powers disagree with that? Will she not at least acknowledge that Rumsfeld’s rhetoric about appeasement doesn’t accuse anyone of being unpatriotic or cowardly, as so many lefties often claim, but merely “confusion”?

I see now there’s a lot more work to be done here before KP joins us on the right. A lot more.

McQ caught the Associated Press doing the same type of hatchet job on the very same Rumsfeld speech; read it now if you missed it earlier on Instapundit. Meanwhile, the morons at “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” are planning a special commentary tonight on Rumsfeld’s speech; I’m on the mailing list (don’t ask) and received this hot bulletin a few hours ago:

Things have changed since we sent out today’s newsletter… worth noting.

Keith will have a commentary on Donald Rumsfeld’s “fascism” remarks.

It’s a must-see edition of Countdown.

No doubt it’ll be scrupulously fair to, and representative of, Rumsfeld’s actual remarks. Check in at Olbermann Watch later. I’m sure they’ll have the heavy artillery out for this.

Update: No doubt thanks in part to the attention McQ’s post has been getting, the AP has rewritten parts of its article about Rumsfeld’s speech.

Comments

This headline from CNN.com says a lot about their grasp of both history and current events.

The new GOP buzzword: fascism

New? GOP? Buzzword?

RedWinged Blackbird on August 30, 2006 at 4:53 PM

Great Post AP, glad you are coming to your senses on Ms. Powers’ political persuasion veering in our direction. Her “sensical” comments were mere blips on a big radar screen. I know this will change your heart but I’m glad you are being intellectually honest. Well done post, once again, the facts “confuse” leftist reality.

RobertCSampson on August 30, 2006 at 4:54 PM

correction.. “not” change your heart

RobertCSampson on August 30, 2006 at 4:55 PM

She’ll come around. It takes time.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 4:56 PM

Did Maureen Dowd edit that story before it ran in the NYT?

Corky on August 30, 2006 at 4:56 PM

As I said earlier, Blonde Badger. Hehe…no offense, Allah.

tickleddragon on August 30, 2006 at 4:59 PM

By most standards, I doubt any edition of Countdown would merit consideration as a “must-see”.

CP on August 30, 2006 at 5:01 PM

What’s up with your infatuation with this woman? She’s very pretty, but not pretty enough to discount her Democratic shillery.

Kevin M on August 30, 2006 at 5:02 PM

Ha. There’s really no infatuation; it’s just a gag. I just wanted to use her post as a jumping off point to address the Times’s distortion of Rumsfeld’s speech.

She is important, though, insofar as she’s a moderate left-wing blogger. Ain’t many around.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 5:06 PM

You know, Allah, not all of us are as take with Kirsten Powers as you are. When I was young and foolish, Kristen is one of those girls who would be fun to get drunk at the bar and then see what happens. Great eye candy at the party.

But waking up the next day we see that she is just as gullible (or culpable) as anyone else in fostering “wrong-headed” thinking.

Lawrence on August 30, 2006 at 5:12 PM

C’mon. She supports Lieberman, she thinks the “question the timing” crowd are a bunch of kooks, she agrees with pretty much everything Michelle says when they debate on O’Reilly. What more do you want?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 5:14 PM

Hell, Allah can pine all he wants, I’m amazed there’s anybody on the left who recognizes “appeasement” as a bad thing and thus not nice to accuse somebody of. That *is* important.

Anwyn on August 30, 2006 at 5:16 PM

The insidious aspect of these spins by the nefarious NYT and the like is that they become embedded in the popular mindset as facts,even seasoned reporters get cold-cocked by the BS and take it as truth.Thank goodness for people like Allah,MM and LGF among many others who do what they can to keep this crap in check.And she is a babe,not shreekingly moonbat but just enough that she needs to be spanked now and again.

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 5:16 PM

She may be what is considered “moderate” today AP, but that’s because the mainstream has gone so far left. She’s not as much of a Bush deranged whacko as some, but she still Democratland rendering her virtually incapable of intellectual honesty or bothering to fact check her friendly sources. Sad but true. By the way, she was on for an Iraq debate somewhere earlier shouting that she wants a time table… she looked like a fool whenever whoever was debating her said “yeah, why don’t we just call up Ahmadinejad and tell him ‘okay, we’ll be leaving next March’”.

RightWinged on August 30, 2006 at 5:23 PM

Yeah, but some of us are as taken with Kirsten Powers as Allah is. (well, maybe not quite as taken, but around there) So let’s not hear any mutiny. Plus, it’s cute to watch how Allah’s heart causes him to imagine a rightward trajectory in Kirsten that isn’t there. Who says Allahpundit’s cynical about love?

Alex K on August 30, 2006 at 5:27 PM

well

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:28 PM

Hey, and speaking of Michelle and O’Reilly, did she host last night? I would watch more TV news and commentary if I didn’t spend so much damn time here. :P

Anwyn on August 30, 2006 at 5:28 PM

i have written two lines against rumsfeld…..they wouldn’t print..maybe this place is compromised too

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:29 PM

lets try again

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Rumsfeld is a joke.
He and Condi should just write reumes.
Why isn’t the pres daughters fighting in Iraq
Supporting the war effort and all….
No they are busy partying in NY
Where is the pres nephews…why have they not joined the
army for all the ooorahhhhh blather
no just poor boys from the south

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:33 PM

come on rich folk….sign up your spoiled kids

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:38 PM

lets blow off legs and arms…
because Bush and Rummmuy are political cowards
Even Saddam didn’t ruin this many American lives…
But Bush has…………….

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:40 PM

ooohhh Raahhhh

LZVandy on August 30, 2006 at 5:40 PM

So the rich and influential should be compelled to conscript their adult children into service? Good luck with that concept, the volunteer army thing kind of got past you there,eh?

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 5:43 PM

Leave AP alone.
He does yeoman’s work here for us and is allowed his little peccadillos!

labwrs on August 30, 2006 at 5:43 PM

I apologize for the feeding.

bbz123 on August 30, 2006 at 5:44 PM

Katie Couric has some competition for cute lefty banter with a giggle.

RobCon on August 30, 2006 at 6:30 PM

I can’t stand Kirsten Powers and who cares if she’s “moderate”? She’s on air for one reason only, and it ain’t her brain power or because she has a sparkling on-screen charisma. She’s a classless act.

darwin on August 30, 2006 at 7:01 PM

Do I hear the pitter patter of little pundits?

Theworldisnotenough on August 30, 2006 at 7:29 PM

LZVandy:
Evaluating your posts above, they are all the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!

Alla Pundit: Sadly, you appear incapable of writing a coherent sentence; that is, communicating in concise and clear language. So, it is impossible to understand what you believe about anything, as your commentary are mostly rambling and absent any point.

Then you just get ‘stuck on stupid,’ when you get a story you like you repeat it almost daily, with minor twists, sometimes several times each day; and you pass up many more important stories every day that deserve airing and debate, because you waste your time with inside the Capital nonsense. What about California just passing a pro-homosexual law that forces even religious organizations to either promote homosexuality or not be eligible for any government funds, it also forces all state schools at all levels to teach that homosexuality – transsexuality, and other perverse sexual lifestyles are normal and equal to heterosexual relationships? What about California about to institute their own version of universal health care, which will outlaw all private insurance and set the model for a National Healthcare bill if and when the Democrats take control of Congress? None of these things interest you, only if some damn Senator put a hold on some government report or a news van got bombed.

You repeat your favorite stories so often that those stories enjoying vigorous debate are quickly shoved off the front page and debate ended.

Umnumzana on August 30, 2006 at 7:36 PM

Feel free to stop reading and/or start your own blog if you’re unhappy with the content here, U.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 7:40 PM

The lengths that MSNBC go to to try and get people to watch their pathetic network. They had a chance after 9/11 with good coverage, but then they had to go and become the mouthpieces of the nutroots. Which even the nutroots have to be begged to watch.

William Teach on August 30, 2006 at 7:43 PM

Allahpundit: Yes, since you have anointed yourself as god almighty, it would be inconceivable that you might egnage in a little introspection.

Meanwhile, you attracted Ian here and that closed ‘Expose the Left’ which was a far superior blog. Now we now why? You wanted to shut him up and close him down because you felt grossly inferior to him!

Umnumzana on August 30, 2006 at 7:55 PM

Yes, you’ve uncovered my secret plot to destroy Ian. I see now that I should be taking your criticisms very seriously.

Why don’t you e-mail Michelle? Maybe she’ll come to her senses and fire me.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 8:00 PM

This is all a plot? This whole blog?

I question the timing.

Slublog on August 30, 2006 at 8:01 PM

ALLAH’S MESSENGER (pundit): I didn’t realize Comrade Michelle owned this blog! I used to admire her greatly and I mean that most sincerely; but if she thinks your incoherent rambling and obsessions with idiotic Capital Hill related stories are all that matters in life, I now question her intellect and her conservative credentials.

I looked forward to seeing Michelle every time she appeared on television and watching her beat up on liberals, now I will have to change the channel as she is apparently something entirely different than she appears on television. I mean she has an impressive intellect, an agile and quick wit, and the ability to communicate her messages in a clear and concise manner; and yet, she affiliates herself with someome unable to unable to write a single coherent sentence.

Slublog: It is okay if you love Allah and enjoy his nonsensical ravings, his obsessive nature and his deliberately ignoring national and international stories because he would rather pretend to be clever while saying nothing of significance, although I am sure he is a great man in his own mind. As a true conservative, I enjoy reading good stories and engaging in civil, well reasoned debate with people from the right and left; and we got that with Expose the Left and Ian’s commentary and videos, but there is not one story in twenty here with any importance to anyone except those with an infantile mind or a single minded focus on the inane!

Plus, every time we get engaged in any meaningful debates here, the stories quickly fall off the front page because Allah wants to do a dozen or more stories a day on which Senator put a hold on a report or did or did not a news van get hit by a rocket. My God, it appears to Allah that these stories are on the minds of most Americans; and, the Iraq war, the war on terrorism, our economy, Iran and nuclear weapons and on an on obviously pale in comparison to Terrel Owen’s getting fined, a senator placing a hold on a report, or Katie Couric’s waistline!

Umnumzana on August 30, 2006 at 8:37 PM

U – stop being a jerk to Allah. He does not deserve your hostility.

SisterToldjah on August 30, 2006 at 8:43 PM

Here are your options, U:

1. Start your own blog.
2. E-mail your story ideas to Ian. He’s got the same posting privileges I do, so if you’ve got a hot tip he can make it happen right here.
3. E-mail Michelle and ask her to fire me. Tell her I’m dragging the blog down and singlehandedly destroying her enterprise. She’s a shrewd businesswoman; if she gets enough messages like that, she’ll act on them.
4. Continue to comment here, confining yourself to the topic of each post.

Not an option: Hijacking threads to complain that you don’t like the site generally or that I’m too much of a “Muslim lover” for your tastes. Okay?

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 8:44 PM

U: As far as I’m concerned, you’re one hijacking away from getting yourself banned.

Bryan on August 30, 2006 at 8:49 PM

The boss has made an executive decision to bid Umnu adieu. Alas.

Allahpundit on August 30, 2006 at 8:50 PM

I know U was banned, but let’s face it…that’s what we all love about Allah.

Slublog on August 30, 2006 at 9:00 PM

Kidding, of course.

We’re all grateful to Michelle for giving you a forum again.

Slublog on August 30, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Michelle to the rescue once more–the rescue of the boys’ time and energy trying to keep a jerk in line.

Anwyn on August 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM

I was about to point that out about you.

Jim Treacher on August 30, 2006 at 9:22 PM

I too would like a bit more coverage of other (aka outside the beltway) important news, but I’ll try to be a bit more polite about asking for it than the completely-not-missed-at-all Mr. Um.

As for KP, well, if you don’t have enough sense to like Ann Coulter it’s quite understandable that you would fall for KP… ;) ok just couldn’t resist twisting your tail a bit. And AC isn’t always right… though far more than you think she is. And KP isn’t always wrong… though far more than you think she is.

RH

RobertHuntingdon on August 30, 2006 at 9:32 PM

Second time in two days I’ve seen the AP literally about-face on a story based on facts and misinformation caught by bloggers before the AP. Go bloggers.

Anwyn on August 30, 2006 at 9:48 PM

Am I seeing a kinder, gentler Carville-Matlin hookup here? We’re due for a reboot on that due, and it would be just so Bushy in a kooky sort of way.

Would you be able to work the religion thing out?

Pablo on August 30, 2006 at 10:18 PM

Allah, will we be seeing the video of Olbermann’s little ‘rant’ against Rummy? I see via Memeorandum that C&L has it up already but I’d rather not visit Maherville HQ this evening …

SisterToldjah on August 30, 2006 at 10:24 PM

Umnumzana STOP IT NOW!
I dont always agree with AllahPundit but what I DO APPRECIATE and AGREE WITH is being able to access this site which is open and TRIES very very VERY hard to cover a LOT of topics!
What you are saying about things repeating..those usually are WORLDWIDE or NATIONAL issues..who the frick CARES about CALIFORNIA? I can honestly tell you that living in Atlanta you have NO impact on MY life whereas the NATIONAL issues covered here DO..I echo AP’s suggestion..NO ONE is forcing you to be here..get some iniative and start your OWN PLACE.
OK..am done now.
AP..KP was on Fox O’R tonite..cant believe there isnt an update *LOL*

labwrs on August 30, 2006 at 10:29 PM

YAY..I think as I was posting “the BOSS” (aka MM) got rid of U..shoulda saved my wisdom..such as it is *lol*
GOOD CALL MM,AP,Bryan ..arguing with an idiot is like talking to my dog. If you met him you would know what I mean *lol*
Another thought: calling someone a name isnt good for either side is it? It is the basest form of “argument” so I apologize. Name calling just undermines your opinion/argument/side…so I wont ever do it again. Perhaps we should all make that pledge who post our ramblings.

labwrs on August 30, 2006 at 10:42 PM

WTF happened to Umnumzana? He used to be a pretty chill commenter at Expose the Left… I can’t believe that was him. As AP pointed out, go read something else if you don’t like the coverage, what’s the problem? I mean, by U’s logic here, he should be at KOS bitching at what they cover, ya know? Weird.

RightWinged on August 31, 2006 at 2:06 AM

and LZvandy… another liberal troll? I suggest banding together with The Drifter, you’re gonna need eachother.

come on rich folk….sign up your spoiled kids

When was the last time someone “signed up” their kid? Actually, I’m bored before I even get started explaining the volunteer military to you.

RightWinged on August 31, 2006 at 2:08 AM

American liberals are always the first to tell someone else what to do, but when it comes to running their own lives they depend on the GoBernment to keep them fed, and safe.

My son signed up without so mush as a hint to me. I wish that every dad could get the chance to feel such pride in the actions of their children.

DannoJyd on August 31, 2006 at 8:44 AM

And before I get spellchecked, I meant much.

DannoJyd on August 31, 2006 at 8:45 AM

Gosh, I thought this was about Rummy’s speech and how the NYT misrepresented something AGAIN… guess I was wrong.

Good morning!

pullingmyhairout on August 31, 2006 at 9:10 AM

RobertHuntingdon on August 30, 2006 at 9:32 PM

I have to admit, KP is prettier than AC.

So, I do understand Allah’s physical attraction to KP.

Lawrence on August 31, 2006 at 9:48 AM

As to the content of the thread:

The issue is not so much about KP being snookered, but about NYT carving up Rumsfeld’s speech.

KP being snookered isn’t news, so much as it is entertainment.

NYT carving up an important speech highlights what NYT does with most of their news coverages. And that, my friends, is real news.

Thanks for posting on this topic, Allah.

Lawrence on August 31, 2006 at 9:51 AM

Allah,

Methinks your infatuation with KP is more along the lines of “you love a challenge” than a common attraction. Its the variety and “new car” feeling you get that is keeping you going after her. “Hope does spring eternal”, you know.

She should consider herself lucky that the Almighty One is actually interested in saving her from herself. Let me know how your immortal patience lasts with this one. Because creating the world in 7 days was a cakewalk next to moving Ms. Powers to the “dark side”.

Subsunk

Subsunk on August 31, 2006 at 11:50 AM

The NYT carving up [misrepresenting] news isn’t news, nor is a liberal believing that rag news. It is a daily occurance.

Sun rises in the east. Film at 11:00. :oP

DannoJyd on August 31, 2006 at 12:14 PM

At least KP seems somewhat reasonable, just misguided.
I love the debates between her and MM. I stare at the TV
with my head slightly cocked and a dreamy look in my eyes.
Thankfully Michelle’s arguments are always correct and persuasive
otherwise KP might be able to turn me!
Just kidding, but she is hot.

Gooch on August 31, 2006 at 1:27 PM